What Star Wars book should I read?

PSW: discuss Star Wars without "versus" arguments.

Moderator: Vympel

KraytKing
Jedi Knight

What Star Wars book should I read?

Post by KraytKing »

Any good ones out there? New or old, I don't care. What were some of you guys favorites?
If you don't know your rights, you don't have any.
--Mace

The Old Testament has as much validity for the foundation of a religion as the pattern my recent case of insect bites formed on my ass.
--Solauren

I always get nervous when I hear the word Christian.
--Mountain

Brought to you by Carl's Jr.
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Re: What Star Wars book should I read?

Post by The Romulan Republic »

I haven't read any post-Disney books yet, but for old EU, I'd recommend the Revenge of the Sith novelization, Dark Lord, and the Thrawn Trilogy, off the top of my head.
"I know its easy to be defeatist here because nothing has seemingly reigned Trump in so far. But I will say this: every asshole succeeds until finally, they don't. Again, 18 months before he resigned, Nixon had a sky-high approval rating of 67%. Harvey Weinstein was winning Oscars until one day, he definitely wasn't."-John Oliver

"The greatest enemy of a good plan is the dream of a perfect plan."-General Von Clauswitz, describing my opinion of Bernie or Busters and third partiers in a nutshell.

I SUPPORT A NATIONAL GENERAL STRIKE TO REMOVE TRUMP FROM OFFICE.
Batman
Emperor's Hand
Location: Seriously thinking about moving to Marvel because so much of the DCEU stinks

Post by Batman »

For the pre-Disney EU you absolutely should read 'The Crystal Star'. Yes, yes you should *cackles evilly*
'Next time I let Superman take charge, just hit me. Real hard.'
'You're a princess from a society of immortal warriors. I'm a rich kid with issues. Lots of issues.'
'No. No dating for the Batman. It might cut into your brooding time.'
'Tactically we have multiple objectives. So we need to split into teams.'-'Dibs on the Amazon!'
'Hey, we both have a Martian's phone number on our speed dial. I think I deserve the benefit of the doubt.'
'You know, for a guy with like 50 different kinds of vision, you sure are blind.'
KraytKing
Jedi Knight

Post by KraytKing »

I haven't heard of Dark Lord, and a Google doesn't turn up anything relevant. Care to elaborate?

As for post-Disney, Tarkin was rather good. Thrawn was okay, but WAY oversimplified internal politics and made Thrawn himself omniscient. Also, the ending could have been better. One of my favorite of all time was Darth Plagueis, but that's old news now.
Batman wrote: 2017-11-26 05:49pmFor the pre-Disney EU you absolutely should read 'The Crystal Star'. Yes, yes you should *cackles evilly*
Real funny. I actually have that one, but I decided it was awful by the time I finished the summary on the back.
--Mace

The Old Testament has as much validity for the foundation of a religion as the pattern my recent case of insect bites formed on my ass.
--Solauren

--Mountain

Batman
Emperor's Hand
Location: Seriously thinking about moving to Marvel because so much of the DCEU stinks

Post by Batman »

Nuts.
'You're a princess from a society of immortal warriors. I'm a rich kid with issues. Lots of issues.'
'Tactically we have multiple objectives. So we need to split into teams.'-'Dibs on the Amazon!'
'Hey, we both have a Martian's phone number on our speed dial. I think I deserve the benefit of the doubt.'
'You know, for a guy with like 50 different kinds of vision, you sure are blind.'
Ave Dominus Nox
Redshirt

Post by Ave Dominus Nox »

KraytKing wrote: 2017-11-26 10:05am Any good ones out there? New or old, I don't care. What were some of you guys favorites?
Thrawn Trilogy, Thrawn duology, Outbound Flight, Dark Lord Trilogy (Labyrinth of Evil, Revenge of the Sith, Dark Lord: Rise of Darth Vader), Rouge Squadron series, Darth Bane Trilogy, Darth Plagueis, Bounty Hunter Wars
"My sons, the galaxy is burning. We all bear witness to a final truth -- our way is not the way of the Imperium. You have never stood in the Emperor’s light. Never worn the Imperial eagle. And you never will. You shall stand in midnight clad, your claws forever red with the lifeblood of my father’s failed empire, warring through the centuries as the talons of a murdered god. Rise, my sons, and take your wrath across the stars, in my name. In my memory. Rise, my Night Lords."

— The Primarch Konrad Curze, at the final gathering of the VIII Legion
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Post by The Romulan Republic »

KraytKing wrote: 2017-11-26 05:56pm I haven't heard of Dark Lord, and a Google doesn't turn up anything relevant. Care to elaborate?
Its full title is Dark Lord: The Rise of Darth Vader.

It alternately follows a group of Jedi survivors post-Order 66 who try to band together to take on Vader, and Darth Vader himself as he adjusts to life post-Mustafar. With quite a bit of Bail Organa and the formation of the Rebellion in their as well, and a Kenobi cameo at the end.

Its quite a good story, particularly the final battle.
"I know its easy to be defeatist here because nothing has seemingly reigned Trump in so far. But I will say this: every asshole succeeds until finally, they don't. Again, 18 months before he resigned, Nixon had a sky-high approval rating of 67%. Harvey Weinstein was winning Oscars until one day, he definitely wasn't."-John Oliver

"The greatest enemy of a good plan is the dream of a perfect plan."-General Von Clauswitz, describing my opinion of Bernie or Busters and third partiers in a nutshell.

I SUPPORT A NATIONAL GENERAL STRIKE TO REMOVE TRUMP FROM OFFICE.
Batman
Emperor's Hand

Post by Batman »

There's no such thing as the Rouge Squadron series. The Rogue Squadron books are okay but mainly because they lay the foundation for the Wraith Squadron series, which was tons better.
Ave Dominus Nox
Redshirt

Post by Ave Dominus Nox »

Batman wrote: 2017-11-26 06:59pm There's no such thing as the Rouge Squadron series. The Rogue Squadron books are okay but mainly because they lay the foundation for the Wraith Squadron series, which was tons better.
the X-Wing series then... that's nitpicking if I ever saw it
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Star_Wars ... ok_series)
"My sons, the galaxy is burning. We all bear witness to a final truth -- our way is not the way of the Imperium. You have never stood in the Emperor’s light. Never worn the Imperial eagle. And you never will. You shall stand in midnight clad, your claws forever red with the lifeblood of my father’s failed empire, warring through the centuries as the talons of a murdered god. Rise, my sons, and take your wrath across the stars, in my name. In my memory. Rise, my Night Lords."

— The Primarch Konrad Curze, at the final gathering of the VIII Legion
Batman
Emperor's Hand

Post by Batman »

Yeah. The Batman being a pedantic nitpicker. Bet nobody saw THAT coming.
And about the Rouge/Rogue misspelling too. I mean nobody else cares about that, right?
Crazedwraith
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crazedwraith »

Batman wrote: 2017-11-26 06:59pm There's no such thing as the Rouge Squadron series. The Rogue Squadron books are okay but mainly because they lay the foundation for the Wraith Squadron series, which was tons better.
If you're going to nitpick that something doesn't exist don't then reference both the series you just said doesn't exist and another series that didn't exist.

There is no Rogue Squadron series, there is no Wraith Squadron series. There's just the X-Wing series.
RogueIce
_______

Post by RogueIce »

Batman wrote: 2017-11-27 01:11amAnd about the Rouge/Rogue misspelling too. I mean nobody else cares about that, right?
I'm inured to it by now.

OP should check out Battlefront: Twilight Company. Not only is it lootbox-free, but it's also a really good book. A down and dirty look at the grunt's life in Star Wars.
"How can I wait unknowing?
This is the price of war,
We rise with noble intentions,
And we risk all that is pure..." - Angela & Jeff van Dyck, Forever (Rome: Total War)

"On and on, through the years,
The war continues on..." - Angela & Jeff van Dyck, We Are All One (Medieval 2: Total War)
"Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the judgment that something else is more important than fear." - Ambrose Redmoon
"You either die a hero, or you live long enough to see yourself become the villain." - Harvey Dent, The Dark Knight
Rhadamantus
Padawan Learner

Post by Rhadamantus »

Our very own Hull 721. viewtopic.php?f=35&t=139285
"There is no justice in the laws of nature, no term for fairness in the equations of motion. The Universe is neither evil, nor good, it simply does not care. The stars don't care, or the Sun, or the sky.

But they don't have to! WE care! There IS light in the world, and it is US!"

"There is no destiny behind the ills of this world."

"Mortem Delenda Est."

"25,000km is not orbit"-texanmarauder
KraytKing
Jedi Knight

Post by KraytKing »

RogueIce wrote: 2017-11-27 02:16pm
OP should check out Battlefront: Twilight Company. Not only is it lootbox-free, but it's also a really good book. A down and dirty look at the grunt's life in Star Wars.
God damn, I hated that book. Sure, down-and-dirty, but it completely misunderstood everything. Somehow, the Rebellion was supporting a conventional war with THE GOD DAMN EMPIRE. THE FUCKING REBELS CAN"T DO THAT. An insurgency made sense. The Rebellion was millions of tiny cells, fighting for tiny gains, if any gains. The biggest action most Rebels ever saw was blowing up a train station. Every day, hundreds of cells got too cocky and were destroyed. But here, a couple hundred rebels are somehow able to hold AN ENTIRE FUCKING PLANET. And the final battle was fucking ridiculous. Four hundred rebels take on nine thousand stormtroopers? A gunboat versus a Star Destroyer? What the fuck?

And all of the plot points were stupid. Namir was stupid. Howl was called crazy for his ideas about hope, when he was just what every rebel should have been. Chalis's plan was basic insurgency tactics, and the idea that it could have crippled the empire was stupid. And apparently, the Empire doesn't even have enough civvie cops to prevent open recruitment drives.

I know it's obsolete now, but Essential Guide to Warfare really hit it on the head. According to that book, the rebellion tried what this book talks about, but it failed before it even got off the ground. Revolts started on thousands of planets, succeeded on one. That was how a rebellion worked, until well after Endor.

And I read most of 721, but it kept bothering me when Rebels died. They couldn't afford deaths. And Imperials were supposed to be assholes.
--Mace

--Solauren

--Mountain