The Orville

SF: discuss futuristic sci-fi series, ideas, and crossovers.

Moderator: NecronLord

Burak Gazan
Jedi Council Member

Re: The Orville

Post by Burak Gazan »

You never saw it on Trek, either, beyond turning up the spin-cycle noise on the warp core to "high" :P
"Of course, what would really happen is that in Game 7, with the Red Sox winning 20-0 in the 9th inning, with two outs and two strikes on the last Cubs batter, a previously unseen meteor would strike the earth, instantly and forever wiping out all life on the planet, and forever denying the Red Sox a World Series victory..."
Khaat
Jedi Master

Post by Khaat »

JI_Joe84 wrote: 2017-11-10 12:05am So the new episode was just on. Got the distinct impression of rob Lowe? Was that the guest star?
I was think pheromones like andosian's or green space girls from pretty much the beginning, any one else?
Yep, but I was surprised when it was limited to touch contact. Seems at odds with the character's description of what it's for, but dove-tailed nicely with the plot resolution.

Also, a nice "I like you guys, so I'm going to give Kelly a possible 'not really my fault' for the whole thing a year ago."
Rule #1: Believe the autocrat. He means what he says.
Rule #2: Do not be taken in by small signs of normality.
Rule #3: Institutions will not save you.
Rule #4: Be outraged.
Rule #5: Don’t make compromises.
Batman
Emperor's Hand
Location: Seriously thinking about moving to Marvel because so much of the DCEU stinks

Post by Batman »

No. A solid 'yes' would've been that, even if it was a lie. The 'maybe' just leaves her in doubt which doesn't solve anything.
That being said, pretty solid and very amusing episode. Also I think the first one where Alara didn't go Hulk Smash on anything?
'Next time I let Superman take charge, just hit me. Real hard.'
'You're a princess from a society of immortal warriors. I'm a rich kid with issues. Lots of issues.'
'No. No dating for the Batman. It might cut into your brooding time.'
'Tactically we have multiple objectives. So we need to split into teams.'-'Dibs on the Amazon!'
'Hey, we both have a Martian's phone number on our speed dial. I think I deserve the benefit of the doubt.'
'You know, for a guy with like 50 different kinds of vision, you sure are blind.'
Rogue 9
Scrapping TIEs since 1997

Post by Rogue 9 »

Batman wrote: 2017-11-10 06:59pm No. A solid 'yes' would've been that, even if it was a lie. The 'maybe' just leaves her in doubt which doesn't solve anything.
That being said, pretty solid and very amusing episode. Also I think the first one where Alara didn't go Hulk Smash on anything?
She didn't last week either, but mainly because she wasn't in it except for a couple of bridge scenes.
It's Rogue, not Rouge!

HAB | KotL | VRWC/ELC/CDA | TRotR | The Anti-Confederate | Sluggite | Gamer | Blogger | Staff Reporter | Student | Musician
Burak Gazan
Jedi Council Member

Post by Burak Gazan »

They could have , in the sickbay office scene; but, they opted for the more logical, intelligent choice, of her using the override codes on the lock. She IS head of security after all :)
"Of course, what would really happen is that in Game 7, with the Red Sox winning 20-0 in the 9th inning, with two outs and two strikes on the last Cubs batter, a previously unseen meteor would strike the earth, instantly and forever wiping out all life on the planet, and forever denying the Red Sox a World Series victory..."
JI_Joe84
Padawan Learner

Post by JI_Joe84 »

Burak Gazan wrote: 2017-11-10 05:36pm You never saw it on Trek, either, beyond turning up the spin-cycle noise on the warp core to "high" :P
True, they need to show a map that puts the distances in perspective if they want to show case the speed.
Rogue 9

Post by Rogue 9 »

So Retepsians (or however they spell it) basically exude date rape drugs and no one in the Union knows about it despite them apparently being members? This is up there with not knowing anything about Moclan culture and biology, despite them apparently also being members. I'm not sure what the fuck is going on at Union Central, but I'd think knowing what your member worlds are up to or at least how their various sapient species work biologically is imperative, for medical purposes if nothing else.
It's Rogue, not Rouge!

HAB | KotL | VRWC/ELC/CDA | TRotR | The Anti-Confederate | Sluggite | Gamer | Blogger | Staff Reporter | Student | Musician
JI_Joe84
Padawan Learner

Post by JI_Joe84 »

Or for security reasons. Security should be a top concern, it might sound like a warhawk but I'd rather be called a warhawk and have all my security bases covered than be quiet and have biological compatability problems members could use to undermine the union.
Enigma
is a laughing fool.

Post by Enigma »

I like it that the Orville has the ability to modify their shields to temporarily keep both fleets from firing from each other (even though they didn't get to do it).
ASVS('97)/SDN('03)

"Whilst human alchemists refer to the combustion triangle, some of their orcish counterparts see it as more of a hexagon: heat, fuel, air, laughter, screaming, fun." Dawn of the Dragons

ASSCRAVATS!
JI_Joe84
Padawan Learner

Post by JI_Joe84 »

Enigma wrote: 2017-11-15 05:13pm I like it that the Orville has the ability to modify their shields to temporarily keep both fleets from firing from each other (even though they didn't get to do it).
Makes a guy wonder "what are Union shields made of? And how do they work?"
Batman
Emperor's Hand
Location: Seriously thinking about moving to Marvel because so much of the DCEU stinks

Post by Batman »

As with shields in most SciFi, the answers are most likely 'something' and 'somehow' and I like it that way because when they do try to explain shields it's either technobabble that doesn't really explain anything or something that just plain can't work
'You're a princess from a society of immortal warriors. I'm a rich kid with issues. Lots of issues.'
'Tactically we have multiple objectives. So we need to split into teams.'-'Dibs on the Amazon!'
'Hey, we both have a Martian's phone number on our speed dial. I think I deserve the benefit of the doubt.'
'You know, for a guy with like 50 different kinds of vision, you sure are blind.'
Rogue 9

Post by Rogue 9 »

Man. This week's episode is just freaking me the fuck out, like to the degree where I'm in the last ten minutes and thinking I should stop and finish it in the morning.
It's Rogue, not Rouge!

Batman
Emperor's Hand

Post by Batman »

While I don't agree I can see why one would feel that way. That was one spaced out episode :D
Galvatron
Decepticon Leader

Post by Galvatron »

Rogue 9 wrote: 2017-11-18 10:52pm Man. This week's episode is just freaking me the fuck out, like to the degree where I'm in the last ten minutes and thinking I should stop and finish it in the morning.
Vampire clowns.
Eternal_Freedom
Castellan

Post by Eternal_Freedom »

That was...trippy. Very well done, but weird as hell.

"Captain, I think it would be prudent to warn everyone to watch out for pies."
"At this point, anything's possible. Pies, salsa bottles, balloon animals..."

I almost fell of my chair at that exchange.
Baltar: "I don't want to miss a moment of the last Battlestar's destruction!"
Centurion: "Sir, I really think you should look at the other Battlestar."
Baltar: "What are you babbling about other...it's impossible!"
Centurion: "No. It is a Battlestar."

Corrax Entry 7:17: So you walk eternally through the shadow realms, standing against evil where all others falter. May your thirst for retribution never quench, may the blood on your sword never dry, and may we never need you again.
Abacus
Jedi Knight

Post by Abacus »

Just finished watching and boy that was a freaky-deaky episode, but great. I like how they've either purposefully or accidentally showed how VR can be used to possibly treat PTSD or others types of psychological conditions. It certainly wasn't a good way of doing so ("Face your fears!" is not exactly doctor or expert-approved methodology for treatment), but the possibility exists.
"Does the walker choose the path, or the path the walker?"
Abacus
Jedi Knight

Post by Abacus »

Also, am I the only one who gets the feeling that there is a romance sub-plot building between Lieutenant Alara and the Captain?
Tandrax218
Padawan Learner

Post by Tandrax218 »

I had a hope for the episode that the narrative would eventually be dealing with some deep dark entities that lurk in the dark beyond.
Something along the lines of WH40K demons and stuff :D
Especially when the doctor had her narrative..

But then the holodeck deus ex machina came :(
Eternal_Freedom
Castellan

Post by Eternal_Freedom »

In fairness, at least it was a good twist on the usual "holodeck malfunction" plot - it worked exactly as intended. Also it was interesting that we got a outsider's view on how such a think actually works.

Also, I loved the Red Dwarf shout-out with that "Directive 38? No bare feet in the engine room?" line.
Baltar: "I don't want to miss a moment of the last Battlestar's destruction!"
Centurion: "Sir, I really think you should look at the other Battlestar."
Baltar: "What are you babbling about other...it's impossible!"
Centurion: "No. It is a Battlestar."

Corrax Entry 7:17: So you walk eternally through the shadow realms, standing against evil where all others falter. May your thirst for retribution never quench, may the blood on your sword never dry, and may we never need you again.
bilateralrope
Sith Acolyte

Post by bilateralrope »

As Brannon Braga mindfuck episodes go, this one made a lot of sense.

Also, has Star Trek ever done as much damage to the set in a fight ?
Galvatron
Decepticon Leader

Post by Galvatron »

Abacus wrote: 2017-11-20 09:34am Also, am I the only one who gets the feeling that there is a romance sub-plot building between Lieutenant Alara and the Captain?
I expect it to be some drawn out thing where Alara has a crush on the captain and he's totally oblivious to it for several seasons. If he ever does catch wind of it, I expect he'll be flattered and tempted yet ultimately decide that it would be inappropriate to pursue.
Abacus
Jedi Knight

Post by Abacus »

Galvatron wrote: 2017-11-21 08:17am
Abacus wrote: 2017-11-20 09:34am Also, am I the only one who gets the feeling that there is a romance sub-plot building between Lieutenant Alara and the Captain?
I expect it to be some drawn out thing where Alara has a crush on the captain and he's totally oblivious to it for several seasons. If he ever does catch wind of it, I expect he'll be flattered and tempted yet ultimately decide that it would be inappropriate to pursue.
I agree with you. At the same time the romantic in me hopes he would/could accept it and create a healthy relationship. I don't see him ever getting back with his ex-wife -- there's just too much baggage there. I certainly hope that they don't go that way....
Q99
Jedi Council Member

Post by Q99 »

It is interesting that this episode establishing mind-wipe tech is a thing.
Abacus
Jedi Knight

Post by Abacus »

Q99 wrote: 2017-11-21 09:37pm It is interesting that this episode establishing mind-wipe tech is a thing.
It does raise some interesting questions.

Is it permanent? Can it be reversed? Is it only for short-term memories? Etc.

They established a bit further at the beginning that they had the ability to fiddle with the head, back when that one anthropologist guy had his head scraped out like an ice cream bucket; but this memory manipulation is fairly extreme as well.
Q99
Jedi Council Member

Post by Q99 »

It does seem to be merely mind-blanking... and it didn't seem like it was restored at the end.

It may be useful with contact-type missions, if you need to mind-blank a single native.