Thor - Ragnarok (Almost certainly spoilers)

FAN: Discuss various fictional worlds that don't qualify for SF.

Moderator: Steve

Bedlam
Jedi Master

Thor - Ragnarok (Almost certainly spoilers)

Post by Bedlam »

I just got back from seeing it and I can't say I was all that impressed.

It was a decent popcorn spectacular but it felt rather hollow to me.

Similar to GotG2 it seemed to by trying a little to hard to be funny. Not to say that it always failed, there were certainly a few chuckle inducing moments here and there (the bouncing ball was probably the best).

The fights were certainly spectacular but they were really only CGI vs CGI with one superpowered character ploughing through a hoard of minions most of the time rather than really feeling like it mattered at all to our heroes.

Overall I think it could have done with being about half a hour longer so we could get a bit more time to find out about the characters and how they feel about various things rather than just running from scene to scene and have the needed deus ex machina pop up as needed.

I have the strongest suspicion that a lot of the film was written to be able to make a kick ass trailer rather than the other way around. Certainly Hulk attacking Surtur only seemed to exist to put a great visual in the trailer.
Crazedwraith
Emperor's Hand

Re: Thor - Ragnarok (Almost certainly spoilers)

Post by Crazedwraith »

Just saw it. Quite fun but surprisingly lighthearted for a film about Ragnarok.

It seemed like a typical marvel movie but more so. The darkness doesmt seem to resound with the over the top comic moments.

And I'm annoyed they killed the warriors three with hardly a line or a mention from Thor. Sif isn't mentioned at all and Valkyrie gets to be more badass than she ever was.

Its good and the comedy is well done but ots a bit out of place.
Shroom Man 777
FUCKING DICK-STABBER!

Post by Shroom Man 777 »

Crazedwraith wrote: 2017-10-29 10:04am Just saw it. Quite fun but surprisingly lighthearted for a film about Ragnarok.

It seemed like a typical marvel movie but more so. The darkness doesmt seem to resound with the over the top comic moments.

And I'm annoyed they killed the warriors three with hardly a line or a mention from Thor. Sif isn't mentioned at all and Valkyrie gets to be more badass than she ever was.

Its good and the comedy is well done but ots a bit out of place.
Agreed. Perhaps the actress for Sif had a different shooting schedule and couldn't make it to the project, maybe in-canon/in-verse she was off-Asgard on a mission and Judge Dredd's stupidity with the Bifrost AND perhaps since she's actually smart enough to notice Loki's previous ploys then Loki as unquestionable Odin dispatched her to some far off sneaking mission with minimum communications with Asgard...

ANYWAY, my review:

Goldblum: Ragnarok was delightful fun, lighthearted and zany in depicting what befalls that storied home of the Norse heroes, the mythical realm of Goldblumpopolis - or is it Goldblumheim? Goldblumgard? Blending old school retro eye-searing sci-fi aesthetics with a tongue-in-cheek take on Goldblumnordic lore.

Okay, in all seriousness, yes it was campy preposterous fun and it's delightful to see faithful renditions of Kirby's designs, especially the Goldblumguard's preposterous helmets.

But... the 80s arcade bloop bloop soundtrack was perfect for Planet Goldblum but c'mon guise, don't use it for Asgard... oh and it also has the same faults as the Guardians of the Galaxy films, the same strengths and weaknesses, in using camp and perhaps a bit overmuch humor and references to supplement the story or the premise because of their hesitation to commit to the premise of sci-fi or sci-fantasy. Yes, they're good fun but that hesitation to tackle serious stuff in something called Ragnarok, mangs? Relying overmuch on cheap laughs won't get you a goddamn Empire Strikes Back, hhhnggg.

Still, the film was much fun and we finally get to see Goldblum in space. So I'm satisfied with Marvel's latest addition to the Goldblum Cinematic Universe.
Image "DO YOU WORSHIP HOMOSEXUALS?" - Curtis Saxton (source)
shroom is a lovely boy and i wont hear a bad word against him - LUSY-CHAN!
Shit! Man, I didn't think of that! It took Shroom to properly interpret the screams of dying people :D - PeZook
Shroom, I read out the stuff you write about us. You are an endless supply of morale down here. :p - an OWS street medic
Pink Sugar Heart Attack!
Shroom Man 777
FUCKING DICK-STABBER!

Post by Shroom Man 777 »

Also, HOW THE FUCK DID THE QUINJET GET TO ANOTHER PLANET? Seriously that's my main boggle with the movie.
Shit! Man, I didn't think of that! It took Shroom to properly interpret the screams of dying people :D - PeZook
Shroom, I read out the stuff you write about us. You are an endless supply of morale down here. :p - an OWS street medic
Pink Sugar Heart Attack!
Crazedwraith
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crazedwraith »

Shroom Man 777 wrote: 2017-10-31 01:39pm Also, HOW THE FUCK DID THE QUINJET GET TO ANOTHER PLANET? Seriously that's my main boggle with the movie.
Space anus?
Shroom Man 777
FUCKING DICK-STABBER!

Post by Shroom Man 777 »

Crazedwraith wrote: 2017-10-31 01:46pm
Shroom Man 777 wrote: 2017-10-31 01:39pm Also, HOW THE FUCK DID THE QUINJET GET TO ANOTHER PLANET? Seriously that's my main boggle with the movie.
Space anus?
That makes sense, I mean where else could the huge turd that was Age of Ultron come from?
Pink Sugar Heart Attack!
Shroom Man 777
FUCKING DICK-STABBER!

Post by Shroom Man 777 »

Also, wow. Loki got so nerfed.
Pink Sugar Heart Attack!
Crazedwraith
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crazedwraith »

Shroom Man 777 wrote: 2017-10-31 03:37pm Also, wow. Loki got so nerfed.
I think the idea isn't so much Loki's been nerfed, it's just Thor has grown and improved and Loki hasn't.
Shroom Man 777
FUCKING DICK-STABBER!

Post by Shroom Man 777 »

Crazedwraith wrote: 2017-11-02 09:53am
I think the idea isn't so much Loki's been nerfed, it's just Thor has grown and improved and Loki hasn't.
Even against Dr. Strange? Even against Valkyrie? Mang it's been quite some time since the days he could handle Captain America... but then again Loki might've let himself go while pretending to be Odin.
Pink Sugar Heart Attack!
Crazedwraith
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crazedwraith »

Shroom Man 777 wrote: 2017-11-02 10:55am
Even against Dr. Strange? Even against Valkyrie? Mang it's been quite some time since the days he could handle Captain America... but then again Loki might've let himself go while pretending to be Odin.
Against Doctor Strange? He got sucker-portalled. Twice. Fair point on Valkyrie she's been a fighter much , much longer than he has.
Shroom Man 777
FUCKING DICK-STABBER!

Post by Shroom Man 777 »

Crazedwraith wrote: 2017-11-02 11:15am
Shroom Man 777 wrote: 2017-11-02 10:55am

Against Doctor Strange? He got sucker-portalled. Twice. Fair point on Valkyrie she's been a fighter much , much longer than he has.
In the first Avenger film we saw him handle Captain America, in that respect displaying superhuman speed and superhuman strength and an extra long asshole as he overmatched Cap totally - and let's face it, Cap ain't just "peak" human anyway. So OK, Valkyrie might be peak Asgardian and peak Asgardian could very well be Cap+ levels... AND again Loki was already letting himself go by then.

Likewise with Doctor Strange, but I really would've imagined this god of trickery who in Dark World knew Bifrost-less portaling techniques could've been able to handle basic human magecraft (the sequestration into weirdo dimensions).

I mean, he's a god!

But sure I'm fine with him being gimped out of karma, due to his poor life choices in perpetually being a sleazeball and taking the easy route.
Pink Sugar Heart Attack!
EnterpriseSovereign
Sith Marauder

Post by EnterpriseSovereign »

I just got back from the cinema and I loved it- definitely worth the anticipation of the last 18 months. It did confirm a few things- the infinity gauntlet in the vault was indeed a fake. It also dispelled the ideas that Thor would die there and that another infinity stone would appear. I knew it was more likely that the Soul Stone would appear in Black Panther, since Thor already got one in the form of The Aether.

Interesting that Hela said the Tesseract "wasn't bad"- it's a good bet that Thanos will have retrieved it from the rubble of Asgard. Especially as that huge starship that dwarfed the "Space liner" is bound to be one of his.

Sif was oddly absent, though given how the Warriors Three were killed off almost immediately it's probably for the best that she didn't reappear! :lol: Out of universe it seems she was too busy filming blindspot to be able to do Ragnarok.
J Ryan
Youngling

Post by J Ryan »

EnterpriseSovereign wrote: 2017-11-02 02:01pm Interesting that Hela said the Tesseract "wasn't bad"- it's a good bet that Thanos will have retrieved it from the rubble of Asgard. Especially as that huge starship that dwarfed the "Space liner" is bound to be one of his.
From the way it was shot with Loki stopping to have a look at it in his mad dash through the vault I think it's implied he took it and Thanos is then turning up to collect on it.
EnterpriseSovereign
Sith Marauder

J Ryan wrote: 2017-11-02 02:26pm
EnterpriseSovereign wrote: 2017-11-02 02:01pm Interesting that Hela said the Tesseract "wasn't bad"- it's a good bet that Thanos will have retrieved it from the rubble of Asgard. Especially as that huge starship that dwarfed the "Space liner" is bound to be one of his.
From the way it was shot with Loki stopping to have a look at it in his mad dash through the vault I think it's implied he took it and Thanos is then turning up to collect on it.
Good catch- from the brief glimpse we get of that ship it's the size of the Dark Aster if not even larger, until we see the profile (presumably in Infinity War) it's impossible to be sure. Swiping the cube would definitely be a very Loki thing to do! :mrgreen: It does tend to be difficult to handle though...
EnterpriseSovereign
Sith Marauder

In many ways this film is the other half of the Civil War events, since both Hulk and Thor were said to have disappeared.

I found it interesting to note a few things about the Hulk- he must have gotten a lot more screentime here than in either of the Avenger films, possibly even both. And a few callbacks to both films, with Hulk smashing Thor in almost the exact same manner as he hid Loki, with the latter even shouting "now you know how it feels!", or something. :lol: His face was a picture when Hulk appeared!

And immediately followed with Thor saying the sun was getting real low and it was time for a lullaby- which might have worked had Thor not kept calling him "Banner"! :mrgreen: The only thing Thor didn't say was to each one that he preferred "the other guy" :lol: He also remembered how Stark had called him "point break" and sure enough, that was his username on the Quinjet! :lol:
Iroscato
Jedi Council Member

Post by Iroscato »

That was the most fun I've had at the cinema for a good long while - it was funny, completely irreverent, and kicked arse.
Yeah, I've always taken the subtext of the Birther movement to be, "The rules don't count here! This is different! HE'S BLACK! BLACK, I SAY! ARE YOU ALL BLIND!?

- Raw Shark

Destiny and fate are for those too weak to forge their own futures. Where we are 'supposed' to be is irrelevent.

- SirNitram (RIP)
EnterpriseSovereign
Sith Marauder

GHETTO EDIT: that should have said, "did Loki" :oops:

It was a bit of a stretch to accept that the god of Thunder would be incapacitated by a small shock implant, especially after his lightning power manifested itself in the arena after Hulk punched him into the ground.

It seems Hulk actually liked being there, he didn't show any sign of being restrained or wanting to escape- and would certainly account for him having a huge fan base at the arena. If Banner is to be believed, he didn't change back in the whole two years he was there, from his perspective the events of AoU were just yesterday, if not sooner.

I liked how they didn't make Skurge as a one-dimensional turncoat, it was pretty obvious that he didn't like the position he found himself in. Weirdly, I didn't recognise Bones without hair! :lol: They were riding the bottomless magazines trope hard when he opened up with his two assault rifles near the end, Des and Troy should have had far larger box mags for the number of rounds fired. At least because the mooks were at point-blank range he could get away with going guns-akimbo.*

Assuming his missing eye is permanent, at least Thor and Nick Fury can compare eyepatches! :lol: A bit of a cliché was Thor's power being within him all along, reconciling this with Mjolnir's inscription reading "Whosoever holds this hammer, if he be worthy, shall possess the power of Thor." is difficult. I imagine Strange to have used the Eye of Agamotto to repair the hammer by restoring it to it's unshattered state. Come to think of it, he may even be able to restore Thor's missing eye as well.

*The usage of the wrong type of weapon kinda reminds me of the incident in Man of Steel when Faora boards the cargo plane and the air force guys don't fuck around, with one using a grenade launcher at close range. On the ground this is fine, but on a plane it's idiotic! :lol: What he should have used instead was an LMG or something similarly more powerful than an M16 but with less chance of blowing up the plane!
amigocabal
Jedi Knight

Post by amigocabal »

Jeff Goldblum definitely stole this film!
Khaat
Jedi Master

Post by Khaat »

EnterpriseSovereign wrote: 2017-11-02 10:49pm A bit of a cliché was Thor's power being within him all along, reconciling this with Mjolnir's inscription reading "Whosoever holds this hammer, if he be worthy, shall possess the power of Thor." is difficult.
Not if it's one of Odin's "contained Thor's power until he could control it" spells - Mjolnir was the focus of that spell, so when it was destroyed, the spell keeping the power isolated from Thor led to him having his "sparkly fingers". The spell added in Thor during his banishment was just an extra line of code on top of the existing spell. :D Easy-peasy!
Rule #1: Believe the autocrat. He means what he says.
Rule #2: Do not be taken in by small signs of normality.
Rule #3: Institutions will not save you.
Rule #4: Be outraged.
Rule #5: Don’t make compromises.
Vendetta
Emperor's Hand

Post by Vendetta »

EnterpriseSovereign wrote: 2017-11-02 10:49pm A bit of a cliché was Thor's power being within him all along, reconciling this with Mjolnir's inscription reading "Whosoever holds this hammer, if he be worthy, shall possess the power of Thor." is difficult.
The first movie started with Odin sealing off Thor's powers until he learned to be less of an asshole about them.

Presumably his death undid that as much as it did Hela's banishment and he now has the full measure of his powers without it.
Crazedwraith
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crazedwraith »

Weird thing that. I don't think either of the previous Thor films called Asgardian gods or implied they had innate powers to start with. There's references to them being worship as gods but not referring to themselves as such that I can recall.
NeoGoomba
Sith Devotee

Post by NeoGoomba »

Crazedwraith wrote: 2017-11-06 04:12pm Weird thing that. I don't think either of the previous Thor films called Asgardian gods or implied they had innate powers to start with. There's references to them being worship as gods but not referring to themselves as such that I can recall.
Could be a simple matter that the Asgardian royal family got royally upgraded with genetic/technological enhancements that gave them such godlike powers. Hela, Thor, Heimdall, and Odin all have powers ans abilities rhay fill certain niches a galactic conqueror like young Odin would certainly have needed.

That said, I fucking loved this movie, beginning to end. After Civil War, Spider Man, and even GotG2, this had the best pure "good time" feeling I needed. And man, did it feel 70s. Perfectly Kirby/Starlin kind of stuff.

And Hela and Valkyrie...ooomph right in the loins with every walk and smile.
"A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it. Fifteen hundred years ago everybody knew the Earth was the center of the universe. Five hundred years ago, everybody knew the Earth was flat, and fifteen minutes ago, you knew that humans were alone on this planet. Imagine what you'll know...tomorrow."
-Agent Kay
Khaat
Jedi Master

Post by Khaat »

IMDB's trivia has some gems:
  • 80% of the dialog was improvised
  • "a friend from work" was a Make A Wish visitor's idea
  • Big Trouble in Little China as a big influence ("What's the version of Thor just wanting to get his truck back?")
Rule #1: Believe the autocrat. He means what he says.
Rule #2: Do not be taken in by small signs of normality.
Rule #3: Institutions will not save you.
Rule #4: Be outraged.
Rule #5: Don’t make compromises.
Solauren
Emperor's Hand

Post by Solauren »

Got back from seeing it this afternoon.

Good fun film.

It's a marvel movie, don't go in expecting Art.

And an simply explanation for the obedience disk vs Thor's powers.

When Thor summons the lightning, he's expecting and controlling it, and therefore can't hurt him.
When it's something else, he's not expecting/controlling it, and therefore it behaves normally.
I've been asked why I still follow a few of the people I know on Facebook with 'interesting political habits and view points'.

It's so when they comment on or approve of something, I know what pages to block/what not to vote for.
EnterpriseSovereign
Sith Marauder

Thor being able to get hold of the remote via sleight-of-hand is proof of him learning some of Loki's tricks, as well as the latter's status as a reliable traitor.

At one point it looked like Valkyrie could have gotten with either Thor or Loki- either way she seemed like a more capable replacement for Sif. And she was hotter than Hela, simply because Tessa Thompson > Cate Blanchett :mrgreen:
its pre-shattered state
Can't believe I made the typo with the inappropriate apostrophe. Given the fragments of Mjolnir were last seen on Earth, Strange can use the time stone to restore the hammer, I can't see the enchantments posing a problem for him- until he realises he cannot pick it up of course! :mrgreen: He was getting visibly annoyed when Thor was summoning the hammer and it could be heard crashing through stuff to reach him.