Jedi Unprotected Spacewalks

PSW: discuss Star Wars without "versus" arguments.

Moderator: Vympel

Dragon Angel
Jedi Knight

Jedi Unprotected Spacewalks

Post by Dragon Angel »

I've never seen any Star Wars media outside the films, so I figured I should ask here:

In any of the Star Wars canon, has there been Jedi (or Sith) who have traversed through space without a suit, and survived? For how long, too?

This is mostly an idle thought from wondering about the effects of spacing on humans and fictionally on various sci-fi species, and Force users came up in the process. :)
"I could while away the hours, conferrin' with the flowers, consultin' with the rain.
And my head I'd be scratchin', while my thoughts were busy hatchin', if I only had a brain!
I would not be just a nothin', my head all full of stuffin', my heart all full of pain.
I would dance and be merry, life would be would be a ding-a-derry, if I only had a brain!"
Shroom Man 777
FUCKING DICK-STABBER!

Re: Jedi Unprotected Spacewalks

Post by Shroom Man 777 »

There's a sub-species of Gand that don't need to breathe and they can spacewalk for some time.
Image "DO YOU WORSHIP HOMOSEXUALS?" - Curtis Saxton (source)
shroom is a lovely boy and i wont hear a bad word against him - LUSY-CHAN!
Shit! Man, I didn't think of that! It took Shroom to properly interpret the screams of dying people :D - PeZook
Shroom, I read out the stuff you write about us. You are an endless supply of morale down here. :p - an OWS street medic
Pink Sugar Heart Attack!
Crazedwraith
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crazedwraith »

Luke did it a time or two in the Hand Of Thrawn Duology. He had to go into a jedi healing trance to manage it though and it wasn't so much a spacewalk as being ejected straight from one airlock to another.
Zixinus
Emperor's Hand

Post by Zixinus »

It happens in Rebels and Clone Wars although the creators try to go as far as always putting on a helmet at those times. While still in their regular clothes. They must have really, really good neck seals or something.

To be fair about the Gand they do have masks that allow them to breath, as they are noted that they breath ammonia rather than oxygen. So it makes a modicum of sense.

But I don't recall the Jedi having any special technique or power to allow them to fight in vacuum without the lack of air being a big problem.
Credo!
Chat with me on Skype if you want to talk about writing, ideas or if you want a test-reader! PM for address.
Reyvan
Youngling

Post by Reyvan »

In episode 2 of The Clone Wars, Plo Koon does a space walk outside of his escape pod to fight off some droids. I seem to recall that he says something to the effect of not being able to do it for long, but in his case I think it might have been a species thing rather than a Jedi thing. He does have a some sort of a breathing apparatus and goggles, and his skin seems to be tougher than human skin. He was out there for a good few minutes before being rescued. In the Clone Wars whenever more humanlike characters do a spacewalk, I recall them always giving them a helmet and covering any exposed skin they might have. As an example, at the begining of season 2 (I think), Anakin and Ahsoka do a spacewalk and are fully covered up for that episode.

In the rebels they have had some situations that look like spacewalks, but from what I recall they do always occur near some sort of large object. In these cases the characters just wear a helmet, and its justified out of universe as the planetoid/asteroid/whatever having a thin atmosphere. At the end of Season 3 of Rebels Ezra performs a spacewalk that is definitely out of the atmosphere, and he is fully suited up for that.

Aside from that, I forget the name of the book, but its one of the new eu ones, Vader was able to perform a spacewalk. However that is Vader and he has his whole suit, so again I think that technology, not the force.
KraytKing
Jedi Knight

Post by KraytKing »

Reyvan wrote: 2017-11-01 03:17pm Aside from that, I forget the name of the book, but its one of the new eu ones, Vader was able to perform a spacewalk. However that is Vader and he has his whole suit, so again I think that technology, not the force.
He did it in Lords of the Sith, the one on Ryloth. That what you're thinking of?
If you don't know your rights, you don't have any.
--Mace

The Old Testament has as much validity for the foundation of a religion as the pattern my recent case of insect bites formed on my ass.
--Solauren

I always get nervous when I hear the word Christian.
--Mountain

Brought to you by Carl's Jr.
Reyvan
Youngling

Post by Reyvan »

KraytKing wrote: 2017-11-01 03:30pm
Reyvan wrote: 2017-11-01 03:17pm Aside from that, I forget the name of the book, but its one of the new eu ones, Vader was able to perform a spacewalk. However that is Vader and he has his whole suit, so again I think that technology, not the force.
He did it in Lords of the Sith, the one on Ryloth. That what you're thinking of?
I believe it is, though come to think of it he might have also done one in Tarkin? Point is, Vader can spacewalk.
Zixinus
Emperor's Hand

Post by Zixinus »

He does that a few times in the comics. It is attributed to his suit.
Credo!
Chat with me on Skype if you want to talk about writing, ideas or if you want a test-reader! PM for address.
Lord Revan
Emperor's Hand

Post by Lord Revan »

it should be noted that even normal real life humans can survive for few seconds unprotect in space, though they're likely to pass out.

Also it could be a case that if there is no other option a jedi can survive and stay active in space without a full space suit for a limited but higher then non-force users time and thus jedi prefer using suits.

In the KOTOR2 a force user (the exile) was able to survive the room she was in being filled with poison gas without a suit by essentially letting the force sustain her while she held her breath, granted the KOTOR series is legends so it might not be canon any more.
I may be an idiot, but I'm a tolerated idiot
"I think you completely missed the point of sigs. They're supposed to be completely homegrown in the fertile hydroponics lab of your mind, dried in your closet, rolled, and smoked...
Oh wait, that's marijuana..."Einhander Sn0m4n
Dragon Angel
Jedi Knight

Post by Dragon Angel »

Lord Revan wrote: 2017-11-02 08:21amit should be noted that even normal real life humans can survive for few seconds unprotect in space, though they're likely to pass out.
Yeah; part of the genesis of these thoughts were from watching Farscape recently. There are a lot of scenes where various characters end up getting spaced, and there is even a scene where Crichton did a short unprotected spacewalk from a doomed ship to another transport shuttle. Which in his case probably wouldn't happen in real life lol, since the spacewalk was a bit over a minute and he was still conscious.

It would make sorta sense if there was a Force ability that could assist in spacewalking like that, such as creating a pressure bubble around the user with a very limited amount of air.
"I could while away the hours, conferrin' with the flowers, consultin' with the rain.
And my head I'd be scratchin', while my thoughts were busy hatchin', if I only had a brain!
I would not be just a nothin', my head all full of stuffin', my heart all full of pain.
I would dance and be merry, life would be would be a ding-a-derry, if I only had a brain!"
Batman
Emperor's Hand
Location: Seriously thinking about moving to Marvel because so much of the DCEU stinks

Post by Batman »

Why would humans pass out after a few seconds? Absent other factors this is usually caused by the brain being denied oxygen and even with the lungs emptied (which is recommended for an unprotected spacewalk) humans can easily stay conscious for a minute or two.
'Next time I let Superman take charge, just hit me. Real hard.'
'You're a princess from a society of immortal warriors. I'm a rich kid with issues. Lots of issues.'
'No. No dating for the Batman. It might cut into your brooding time.'
'Tactically we have multiple objectives. So we need to split into teams.'-'Dibs on the Amazon!'
'Hey, we both have a Martian's phone number on our speed dial. I think I deserve the benefit of the doubt.'
'You know, for a guy with like 50 different kinds of vision, you sure are blind.'
Lord Revan
Emperor's Hand

Post by Lord Revan »

Batman wrote: 2017-11-02 07:01pm Why would humans pass out after a few seconds? Absent other factors this is usually caused by the brain being denied oxygen and even with the lungs emptied (which is recommended for an unprotected spacewalk) humans can easily stay conscious for a minute or two.
according to Wikipedia (I know the best source but it was best I could find in short notice) from based on animal and human experiments, that you loose consciousness in 15 seconds and die in around 2 minutes or so if not pulled back into to normal pressure and this is if the person was prepared for the spacewalk. Getting spaced due unprepared is even worse.
"I think you completely missed the point of sigs. They're supposed to be completely homegrown in the fertile hydroponics lab of your mind, dried in your closet, rolled, and smoked...
PhoenixKnig
Padawan Learner

Post by PhoenixKnig »

I think you beat me to the deep point of "explosive decompression"
Bullets always have the right of away
PhoenixKnig
Padawan Learner

Post by PhoenixKnig »

In one of the new Jedi Order novels Legends Luke was in X-Wing jumping through hyperspace with a open cockpit and leaking atmosphere, I think he was using Force meditation or Jedi Focus
Lord Revan
Emperor's Hand

Post by Lord Revan »

PhoenixKnig wrote: 2017-11-16 11:15am I think you beat me to the deep point of "explosive decompression"
the thing to remember about "explosive decompression" is that it means "very rapid and violent decompression" not "you end in space and explode".
Q99
Jedi Council Member

Post by Q99 »

Batman wrote: 2017-11-02 07:01pm Why would humans pass out after a few seconds? Absent other factors this is usually caused by the brain being denied oxygen and even with the lungs emptied (which is recommended for an unprotected spacewalk) humans can easily stay conscious for a minute or two.
Your tissues expand, dropping your blood pressure significantly and thus preventing your oxygenated blood from circulating, so you don't have that long, especially if active.
Marko Dash
Jedi Knight

Post by Marko Dash »

PhoenixKnig wrote: 2017-11-16 11:17am In one of the new Jedi Order novels Legends Luke was in X-Wing jumping through hyperspace with a open cockpit and leaking atmosphere, I think he was using Force meditation or Jedi Focus
i think in that one he had an air mask and his pilot suit, it was just a matter of making repairs with little equipment to make it somewhere before the air ran out.

i'm wanting to say it was during the Vong invasion but can't recall which book.
If a black-hawk flies over a light show and is not harmed, does that make it immune to lasers?
Marko Dash
Jedi Knight

Post by Marko Dash »

it's coming back to me a little, he used a jedi trance to put himself in a coma-like state to use as little air as possible while R2 fixed the ship, something about how the hyperdrive needed a coil of super thin wire several km long that he got from some other parts of the ship.
If a black-hawk flies over a light show and is not harmed, does that make it immune to lasers?
PhoenixKnig
Padawan Learner

Post by PhoenixKnig »

Marko Dash wrote: 2017-11-21 01:13am it's coming back to me a little, he used a jedi trance to put himself in a coma-like state to use as little air as possible while R2 fixed the ship, something about how the hyperdrive needed a coil of super thin wire several km long that he got from some other parts of the ship.
But he could not go in a deep trance because he had a to keep an ear out for the hyperdrive; couldn't jump for a long distance or it falls apart.
texanmarauder
Padawan Learner

Post by texanmarauder »

i remember an episode of SW TCW where they are having a ship vs ship battle in the upper atmosphere and the jedi didn't seem to have any problems breathing or exposure to low/non existent atmosphere. of course, then there is the case of three non jedi somehow surviving exposure to vacuum inside an exogorth in ESB with only a breathing mask. no goggles, helmet or anything.
PhoenixKnig
Padawan Learner

Post by PhoenixKnig »

plot armor could be considered :)
Knife
Emperor's Hand

Post by Knife »

Go watch TLJ.
They say, "the tree of liberty must be watered with the blood of tyrants and patriots." I suppose it never occurred to them that they are the tyrants, not the patriots. Those weapons are not being used to fight some kind of tyranny; they are bringing them to an event where people are getting together to talk. -Mike Wong

But as far as board culture in general, I do think that young male overaggression is a contributing factor to the general atmosphere of hostility. It's not SOS and the Mess throwing hand grenades all over the forum- Red
eMeM
Padawan Learner

Post by eMeM »

Knife wrote: 2017-12-15 07:33pmGo watch TLJ.
That's a really mean thing to say to someone.
Knife
Emperor's Hand

Post by Knife »

Not going to spoil, but there is relevant information in the new movie to the topic.
They say, "the tree of liberty must be watered with the blood of tyrants and patriots." I suppose it never occurred to them that they are the tyrants, not the patriots. Those weapons are not being used to fight some kind of tyranny; they are bringing them to an event where people are getting together to talk. -Mike Wong

But as far as board culture in general, I do think that young male overaggression is a contributing factor to the general atmosphere of hostility. It's not SOS and the Mess throwing hand grenades all over the forum- Red
PhoenixKnig
Padawan Learner

Post by PhoenixKnig »

Knife wrote: 2017-12-16 12:40pm Not going to spoil, but there is relevant information in the new movie to the topic.
I just saw the movie this morning I got your reference now