OT: anything goes!

Moderator: Edi

LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Re: Moving

Post by LadyTevar »

Raw Shark wrote: 2017-10-10 05:03am
LadyTevar wrote: 2017-10-09 12:53amThen I need a box for the Booze, cause there's too much to drink it all before I move to Mom's.
Hand in your SCA card right now. ;)
I have 20 bottles, a mix of liquors and hard liquor, most of them barely opened. I also have three bottles of wine, two opened. I can put a lot of booze away, but I'm not alcoholic, and I like my liver the way it is. So bite me.
Nitram, slightly high on cough syrup: Do you know you're beautiful?
Me: Nope, that's why I have you around to tell me.
Nitram: You -are- beautiful. Anyone tries to tell you otherwise kill them.

"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP" -- Leonard Nimoy, last Tweet
Raw Shark
Stunt Driver / Babysitter

Post by Raw Shark »

LadyTevar wrote: 2017-10-10 11:03pmI have 20 bottles, a mix of liquors and hard liquor, most of them barely opened. I also have three bottles of wine, two opened. I can put a lot of booze away, but I'm not alcoholic [snip]
Oh yeah, that's why I go to those meetings...
LadyTevar wrote: 2017-10-10 11:03pmand I like my liver the way it is. So bite me.
I think we both know my position on that. ;)

Well, the shark bites, with his teeth, dear, and he shows them pearly white...

"Do I really look like a guy with a plan? Y'know what I am? I'm a dog chasing cars. I wouldn't know what to do with one if I caught it! Y'know, I just do things..." --The Joker
aerius
Charismatic Cult Leader

Post by aerius »

Raw Shark wrote: 2017-09-27 01:54pm Hey, just offering. My shit is actually more straight than it sounds; I just post the funny stuff. ;)
That's up there with "I'm not a serial killer, there's only one body buried in my backyard".
aerius: I'll vote for you if you sleep with me. :)
Lusankya: Deal!
Say, do you want it to be a threesome with your wife? Or a foursome with your wife and sister-in-law? I'm up for either. :P
LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

Need More Boxes.
Need MANY More Boxes.

And this is just the foodstuffs and the last of the pots & pans I'll need to cook with the next three days!!!

"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP" -- Leonard Nimoy, last Tweet
Raw Shark

Post by Raw Shark »

aerius wrote: 2017-10-11 08:37pmThat's up there with "I'm not a serial killer, there's only one body buried in my backyard".
SHARK: [shrugs; looks around; does a quick Vladimir Taltos self pat-down]

"Do I really look like a guy with a plan? Y'know what I am? I'm a dog chasing cars. I wouldn't know what to do with one if I caught it! Y'know, I just do things..." --The Joker
LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

So... Everything's packed but for the stuff I need to cook the next two days, and the stuff that is too awkward for a box (brooms, vaccuum, standing fan, umbrellas, lamps, quarterstaff)

Now, it's just waiting for tomorrow, when I'll turn in the cable modem (no internets for TWO DAYS!! OH NO!!)

LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

Last day in the apartment.
Tomorrow, everything gets packed in the UHaul and taken away.

February 2008- October 2017.
Martin and I had some of our best years here, despite his illness.

I don't wanna leave.

Do I start crying now, or wait til later?

Lord Revan
Emperor's Hand

Post by Lord Revan »

LadyTevar wrote: 2017-10-14 11:56am Last day in the apartment.
Tomorrow, everything gets packed in the UHaul and taken away.

February 2008- October 2017.
Martin and I had some of our best years here, despite his illness.

I don't wanna leave.

Do I start crying now, or wait til later?
I'd say cry when you feel like crying, one shouldn't try to suppress their emotions in a situation like this.
I may be an idiot, but I'm a tolerated idiot
"I think you completely missed the point of sigs. They're supposed to be completely homegrown in the fertile hydroponics lab of your mind, dried in your closet, rolled, and smoked...
Oh wait, that's marijuana..."Einhander Sn0m4n
Broomstick
Emperor's Hand

Post by Broomstick »

Indeed, multiple bouts would not be unreasonable. Cry now AND cry later.

{{{{hugs}}}}

Check in again when you have internet.
A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. Leonard Nimoy.

Now I did a job. I got nothing but trouble since I did it, not to mention more than a few unkind words as regard to my character so let me make this abundantly clear. I do the job. And then I get paid.- Malcolm Reynolds, Captain of Serenity, which sums up my feelings regarding the lawsuit discussed here.

If a free society cannot help the many who are poor, it cannot save the few who are rich. - John F. Kennedy

Sam Vimes Theory of Economic Injustice
Raw Shark

Post by Raw Shark »

LadyTevar wrote: 2017-10-14 11:56amI don't wanna leave.
I know, KK. But if you ever want it, you have a place here with a bastard hillbilly who cares about you. A lot.
LadyTevar wrote: 2017-10-14 11:56am Do I start crying now, or wait til later.
I'd suggest later, unless Chaotic Good arms around you would make you feel better, in which case, I might know a guy.

LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

Moved in. Wireless connected.
So Many damn things to unpack. *sigh* Having a pointed discussion with Mom on just how many useless, worthless, or simply unnecessary stuff she has hoarded away in multiple chests of drawers. Sheets that haven't seen teh light of day in decades. Shirts she's not worn since I was in high school. I've gone through her pantry and found things that are two years past Best Buy date.

But, so far no real fights, and Mal is behaving. Mom even let him out of the utility room and he got to prowl about.

Broomstick
Emperor's Hand

Post by Broomstick »

I dunno, would you mom be open to giving some of that stuff to charity?

Is your mom from the Depression Era?
A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. Leonard Nimoy.

Now I did a job. I got nothing but trouble since I did it, not to mention more than a few unkind words as regard to my character so let me make this abundantly clear. I do the job. And then I get paid.- Malcolm Reynolds, Captain of Serenity, which sums up my feelings regarding the lawsuit discussed here.

If a free society cannot help the many who are poor, it cannot save the few who are rich. - John F. Kennedy

Sam Vimes Theory of Economic Injustice
LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

Broomstick wrote: 2017-10-16 10:43pm I dunno, would you mom be open to giving some of that stuff to charity?

Is your mom from the Depression Era?
She was born 1936, coal miner's daughter. And she's willing to do Goodwill, even tho she jokes about 'seeing her clothes on the street".

Zaune
Emperor's Hand

Post by Zaune »

If they're anything like English charity shops, they likely send donations to some sort of central distribution centre to be sold in the next county over to avoid precisely that. (No, really. Saw it on Blue Peter when I was a kid.) And even if they don't, who's going to recognise stuff she hasn't worn in several years anyway?
There are hardly any excesses of the most crazed psychopath that cannot easily be duplicated by a normal kindly family man who just comes in to work every day and has a job to do.
-- (Terry Pratchett, Small Gods)

Replace "ginger" with "n*gger," and suddenly it become a lot less funny, doesn't it?
-- fgalkin

Like my writing? Tip me on Patreon

I Have A Blog
Mr Bean
Lord of Irony

Post by Mr Bean »

Zaune wrote: 2017-10-17 06:48pm If they're anything like English charity shops, they likely send donations to some sort of central distribution centre to be sold in the next county over to avoid precisely that. (No, really. Saw it on Blue Peter when I was a kid.) And even if they don't, who's going to recognise stuff she hasn't worn in several years anyway?
Goodwills are not, most of them are local operation which is why there's a small trade in people scouting out Goodwill's in rich areas to find the designer stuff that's tossed out and resell it on ebay or more scummly to be returned to the store in question. Goodwill business model is about taking donations and selling them at a price high end to make some money minus rental costs and labor costs but not so high they won't sell.

Rule of thumb with everyone one state may one for one copy something your familiar with while two states over they use Thunderdome rules to determine sale price.

"A cult is a religion with no political power." -Tom Wolfe
Pardon me for sounding like a dick, but I'm playing the tiniest violin in the world right now-Dalton
Raw Shark

Post by Raw Shark »

Mr Bean wrote: 2017-10-17 11:19pmRule of thumb with everyone one state may one for one copy something your familiar with while two states over they use Thunderdome rules to determine sale price.
Two men enter, one man leaves?

LaCroix
Sith Acolyte

Post by LaCroix »

Raw Shark wrote: 2017-10-18 09:01am
Mr Bean wrote: 2017-10-17 11:19pmRule of thumb with everyone one state may one for one copy something your familiar with while two states over they use Thunderdome rules to determine sale price.
And whatever (still saleable) item the loser owned will go on stock.
A minute's thought suggests that the very idea of this is stupid. A more detailed examination raises the possibility that it might be an answer to the question "how could the Germans win the war after the US gets involved?" - Captain Seafort, in a thread proposing a 1942 'D-Day' in Quiberon Bay

I do archery skeet. With a Trebuchet.
Mr Bean
Lord of Irony

Post by Mr Bean »

Raw Shark wrote: 2017-10-18 09:01am
Close but in this case Thunderdome says whatever price the employee sets is the price. In Indiana for example (Thanks Nanna for making me volunteer everywhere while you were my guardian) there's a prize Tzar who uses everything from bluebook and white pages to communing with the Great Retail spirits to set prices but their word is law.

While someplace like Rhode Island it's a price board and 3 people review every item then set price as the average unless two people agree in which case it's that price. Then you have Delware which per that one place was whoever is doing intake that day sets the price they are the price gods now.

"A cult is a religion with no political power." -Tom Wolfe
Pardon me for sounding like a dick, but I'm playing the tiniest violin in the world right now-Dalton
LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

Either way... after buying food for Mom (and Halloween candy), I now have a grand total of $77 in my bank.
Moving costs a lot of money :(

Oh, and Mom's oven just went out. The cheapest new one would be $400+

Block
Jedi Council Member

Post by Block »

LadyTevar wrote: 2017-10-19 03:47pm Either way... after buying food for Mom (and Halloween candy), I now have a grand total of $77 in my bank.
Moving costs a lot of money :(

Oh, and Mom's oven just went out. The cheapest new one would be $400+
Do you have a Habit for Humanity Restore anywhere nearby? Sometimes they have donated appliances for sale.
Raw Shark

Post by Raw Shark »

Block wrote: 2017-10-20 02:49amHabit for Humanity
This sounds like a zombie support group. "Hi, I'm Bob, and I have a habit for humanity." "Hi, Bob." ;)

LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

Habitat for Humanity.

Yes, there's one close, but there's also Bob. Bob had been an appliance repairman since 1968 (two years before I was born), and for the low price of $50, he came to the house, swept behind the stove, replaced the bottom heating element, and put it all back together within an hour.

Raw Shark

Post by Raw Shark »

I am aware of Habitat for Humanity. They are also aware of me. Attempted a joke there.

LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

Raw Shark wrote: 2017-10-20 05:45pm I am aware of Habitat for Humanity. They are also aware of me. Attempted a joke there.
Attempt Failed.

Raw Shark

Post by Raw Shark »

LadyTevar wrote: 2017-10-21 12:03amAttempt Failed.
One of the things I've learned in my years of being very poor is that you'll go crazy if you fail to laugh when you can. Crazier, anyway, if you already are (raised hand). I was fortunate enough to receive this advice from my favorite author, one Mr. Kurt Vonnegut, shortly before he left us, and I shook his hand, thanked him, and appreciate his wisdom.