Car shopping - Subaru Crosstrek

OT: anything goes!

Moderator: Edi

paladin
Jedi Master

Car shopping - Subaru Crosstrek

Post by paladin »

I'm in the market for a new car. I'm thinking about the Subaru Crosstrek. If anyone owns one or knows someone that owns one, I would like to know what you think of the vehicle.

I did test drive one today and liked how it handled.
"Single-minded persistence in the face of futility is what humanity does best." Tim Ferguson
JI_Joe84
Padawan Learner

Re: Car shopping - Subaru Crosstrek

Post by JI_Joe84 »

Does it use a horizontally opposed piston engine like other Subaru vehicle's?
To clarify, As opposed to inline or v style engine layouts that literally every other car company uses.
rapidsquirrel
Youngling

Post by rapidsquirrel »

As someone who currently owns a pair of Outbacks, used to own an Impreza and comes from the family that drives a lot of Subarus, I'd recommend Subaru anything. The boxer engines are pretty indestructible (other then that pesky "needs a new set of head gaskets ever 100k to 150k miles" issue) and the rest of the build quality is excellent. The older of our two Outbacks has about 240k miles on it and other then some body rust, is going strong.

I know this doesn't actually speak to the Crosstrek, but given that fact the everything runs on the same engine and similar frames (Crosstrek being a taller Impreza), I doubt that Crosstrek would be the odd one out.

I'm pretty biased though, so take this as you will. Just be aware once you start driving them, it's hard to look at other car brands.
JI_Joe84
Padawan Learner

Post by JI_Joe84 »

So what did you end up doing?
JI_Joe84
Padawan Learner

Post by JI_Joe84 »

I'd just like to say the BRZ is just awesomeness in the JDM sports car arena.
Also still would like to know what did OP end up doing.
Venator
Jedi Knight

Post by Venator »

I have a 2013 Crosstrek in "it adds +10hp, really" orange, with around 120,000km. The below all applies to the 2013-2017 model, I don't have experience with the new 2018 version.

The Good:
- Good ride:handling balance; not the most precise car, but it absorbs major bumps, potholes, and dips very well; the taller centre of gravity makes it fun to chuck around. Only moderate lateral grip makes for a playful but well-controlled experience on gravel or snow.
- Quicker than you'd expect if you wind out the engine.
- Impressive cargo loading capacity.
- The scalloped front seats make for excellent rear-seat space relative to the size of the car.
- All-weather traction is superb.
- Surprising amount of off-road ability.
- Ground clearance means you're able to climb most urban curbs and medians to get out of traffic blockages.
- Huge modification support, from interior trim to superchargers to heavy-duty off road equipment.

The Bad:
- Quicker than you'd expect, but not quick. Odd throttle mapping means there's a slight dip 3200-3700 rpm or so, depending on gear, which can catch you out when merging. Use the paddle shifters (or a different gear, in the manual) to get around that.
- Front-seat comfort can be lacking, depending on your body type. Make sure you can get really comfortable.
- Lacks some features like one touch/3-blink indicators or auto up/down windows other than the driver's.
- The 2013-2014 infotainment head unit is sometimes uncooperative, especially switching between different devices. The 2015-2017 has a much better Starlink unit.
- On fresh or deep snow, the ABS cuts in before necessary, especially with winter tires fitted. I have a big red toggle switch drilled into the lower dash which fully disables the traction control, stability control, and ABS. YMMV.

Edit - Reliability:
- I replaced all the brake pads and rotors between 70k and 100k km, along with the tires, wiper blades, and one wheel bearing. Early on, not knowing any better, I used engine braking with the paddle shifters on the CVT to slow the car almost to a stop before using the actual brakes. Two transmission replacements under warranty, and the only other services have been the expected "consumable" items listed above.