THE OotS Thread, Part IV.

FAN: Discuss various fictional worlds that don't qualify for SF.

Moderator: Steve

Raesene
Jedi Master

Re: THE OotS Thread, Part IV.

Post by Raesene »

1100 is up.

but rather unremarkable.

"In view of the circumstances, Britannia waives the rules."

"All you have to do is to look at Northern Ireland, [...] to see how seriously the religious folks take "thou shall not kill. The more devout they are, the more they see murder as being negotiable." George Carlin

"We need to make gay people live in fear again! What ever happened to the traditional family values of persecution and lies?" - Darth Wong
"The closet got full and some homosexuals may have escaped onto the internet?"- Stormbringer

Rogue 9
Scrapping TIEs since 1997

Post by Rogue 9 »

1101 is up.

Dun dun DUUUUUUUN! :mrgreen:
It's Rogue, not Rouge!

HAB | KotL | VRWC/ELC/CDA | TRotR | The Anti-Confederate | Sluggite | Gamer | Blogger | Staff Reporter | Student | Musician
Crazedwraith
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crazedwraith »

Nitpick: Dwarfvision used to act like flashlight eyes visible to everyone.
LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

oh. oh hell.
Nitram, slightly high on cough syrup: Do you know you're beautiful?
Me: Nope, that's why I have you around to tell me.
Nitram: You -are- beautiful. Anyone tries to tell you otherwise kill them.

"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP" -- Leonard Nimoy, last Tweet
Solauren
Emperor's Hand

Post by Solauren »

Well, if they are all low level vampires, the low level cleric might be able to turn them.

But I doubt it.

Hopefully, V has a lot of area of effect attack spells ready.
I've been asked why I still follow a few of the people I know on Facebook with 'interesting political habits and view points'.

It's so when they comment on or approve of something, I know what pages to block/what not to vote for.
Rogue 9

Post by Rogue 9 »

They'll all be basic, Monster Manual vampires. An inconvenience for the party at this level.
It's Rogue, not Rouge!

HAB | KotL | VRWC/ELC/CDA | TRotR | The Anti-Confederate | Sluggite | Gamer | Blogger | Staff Reporter | Student | Musician
Solauren
Emperor's Hand

Post by Solauren »

Dude, I think it's Third edition. Vampire is a template.

Unless you mean Vampire Spawn
I've been asked why I still follow a few of the people I know on Facebook with 'interesting political habits and view points'.

It's so when they comment on or approve of something, I know what pages to block/what not to vote for.
Rogue 9

Post by Rogue 9 »

I do. The vampire template can only be applied to creatures with at least five hit dice, and that's not going to be most random dwarves.
It's Rogue, not Rouge!

Crazedwraith
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crazedwraith »

Presumably at some point the lack of that sunlight protection spell will bite the vampires in the arse.
LaCroix
Sith Acolyte

Post by LaCroix »

Kitty's face sums it up, perfectly.
A minute's thought suggests that the very idea of this is stupid. A more detailed examination raises the possibility that it might be an answer to the question "how could the Germans win the war after the US gets involved?" - Captain Seafort, in a thread proposing a 1942 'D-Day' in Quiberon Bay

I do archery skeet. With a Trebuchet.
Jub
Sith Marauder

Post by Jub »

Rogue 9 wrote: 2017-10-04 11:39pm I do. The vampire template can only be applied to creatures with at least five hit dice, and that's not going to be most random dwarves.
Technically those could be spawn, it's not like the current party would have the knowledge to tell the difference between true vamps and spawn at a glance. Ironically, Durkon might have had this knowledge and been useful here.
Crazedwraith
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crazedwraith »

1102 up Oops.

More info for those who know their monster types.
LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

Is it me, or did the priest's hammer do nothing but annoy the vampire spawn?

"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP" -- Leonard Nimoy, last Tweet
Jub
Sith Marauder

Post by Jub »

Even the spawn have DR so the priest probably didn't have the damage or enchantment needed to overcome it.
Terralthra
Requiescat in Pace

Post by Terralthra »

I would've thought the vampire spawn's attack would apply a negative level to Vaarsuvius, so it'd cost them a spell slot rather than just reducing max HP.
Ralin
Sith Marauder

Post by Ralin »

Am I missing something or is there no especial reason why the cleric can't just stand there making turning attempts from behind the Forcecage until she gets lucky and rolls a 20 or two?
Rogue 9

Post by Rogue 9 »

Ralin wrote: 2017-10-18 12:20am Am I missing something or is there no especial reason why the cleric can't just stand there making turning attempts from behind the Forcecage until she gets lucky and rolls a 20 or two?
Turning doesn't involve a d20 roll, but that aside, she's a dwarf, so probably has bad Charisma, so can probably only turn undead two or three times a day.
It's Rogue, not Rouge!

Terralthra
Requiescat in Pace

Post by Terralthra »

Turning in 3.5E does have a d20 roll to see how powerful (in hit dice vs. cleric's level) the turned undead may be, but a 20 isn't "automatic success", in the sense you're thinking, Ralin. The problem is that the table ranges from cleric's level - 4 HD (at a roll of 0 or lower) to cleric's level + 4 HD (roll of 22 or higher). The cleric isn't high-level, so even with a nice 20, with a stereotypically mediocre charisma modifier (she's a dwarf), she's still only going to turn 6 or 7 HD of vampire spawn. They have 4 HD each. Not a winning strategy when surrounded by at least 14 vampire spawn.
LaCroix
Sith Acolyte

Post by LaCroix »

Let them kill one of the others for levels, turn more vampires and then revive the fallen? :D
A minute's thought suggests that the very idea of this is stupid. A more detailed examination raises the possibility that it might be an answer to the question "how could the Germans win the war after the US gets involved?" - Captain Seafort, in a thread proposing a 1942 'D-Day' in Quiberon Bay

I do archery skeet. With a Trebuchet.
Ralin
Sith Marauder

Post by Ralin »

Driving off one or two can't hurt.

But yeah, never actually used Turn Undead or had a player use it in 3.5, so I don't know the mechanics off the top of my head.
Venator
Jedi Knight

Post by Venator »

Interesting note, this Forcecage looks to be ~20ft square. The spell rules for 3.0 and 3.5 allow a 20ft cube of half-inch spaced bars, or a 10ft solid one, so it seems like OOTS-verse uses a slightly different version of the spell. Otherwise picking the spawn off through the barrier would be fairly trivial.
Rogue 9

Post by Rogue 9 »

Venator wrote: 2017-10-20 10:32pm Interesting note, this Forcecage looks to be ~20ft square. The spell rules for 3.0 and 3.5 allow a 20ft cube of half-inch spaced bars, or a 10ft solid one, so it seems like OOTS-verse uses a slightly different version of the spell. Otherwise picking the spawn off through the barrier would be fairly trivial.
They would turn to mist and go through the bars, and then they'd have the exact same problem.
It's Rogue, not Rouge!

LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

Venator wrote: 2017-10-20 10:32pm Interesting note, this Forcecage looks to be ~20ft square. The spell rules for 3.0 and 3.5 allow a 20ft cube of half-inch spaced bars, or a 10ft solid one, so it seems like OOTS-verse uses a slightly different version of the spell. Otherwise picking the spawn off through the barrier would be fairly trivial.
V and others have used Force Cage before in the strip, and it's been different for each situation, IE: during V's Temptation To Darkness, the Black Dragon trapped V in a small, one-person 'cage'. So, So I'm guessing Force Cage falls to "will of caster" in Stick-Verse.

Venator
Jedi Knight

Post by Venator »

Rogue 9 wrote: 2017-10-20 10:55pm
They would turn to mist and go through the bars, and then they'd have the exact same problem.
Can Spawn do that? I was under the impression from #1085 that not even all the full-blown Vampires could do that, or at least only one had tried.
LadyTevar wrote: 2017-10-21 12:07am
V and others have used Force Cage before in the strip, and it's been different for each situation, IE: during V's Temptation To Darkness, the Black Dragon trapped V in a small, one-person 'cage'. So, So I'm guessing Force Cage falls to "will of caster" in Stick-Verse.
Good point. My only memory of the black dragon instance was something spherical, maybe, or something.
Terralthra
Requiescat in Pace

Post by Terralthra »

Venator wrote: 2017-10-21 06:26pm
Rogue 9 wrote: 2017-10-20 10:55pm
Can Spawn do that? I was under the impression from #1085 that not even all the full-blown Vampires could do that, or at least only one had tried.
Vampire spawn can take gaseous form as a standard action, at will, and moving with perfect maneuverability. They can also use domination as a standard action (probably no good against the PCs' will saves, but possibly bad for the dwarf NPCs), and have fast-healing (+2hp per round, automatically assumes gaseous form on 0 hp). All assuming standard 3.5E. These may not be that, as the vampire spawn that made it in is clearly reduced to 0 hp, but does not assume gaseous form. However, vampires have the same ability (automatic), so maybe it was bypassed by Roy's special attack. Ordinarily, vampires/vampire spawn can only be destroyed by sunlight, stake, running water, or esoteric ritualistic stuff.