Should I try out Star Trek Online?

GEC: Discuss gaming, computers and electronics and venture into the bizarre world of STGODs.

Moderator: Thanas

Lord Revan
Emperor's Hand

Re: Should I try out Star Trek Online?

Post by Lord Revan »

I probably shouldn't tell this being a foundry author myself but the Foundry endeavor could be completed by completing the first map on the mission (most missions have at least 2).
I may be an idiot, but I'm a tolerated idiot
"I think you completely missed the point of sigs. They're supposed to be completely homegrown in the fertile hydroponics lab of your mind, dried in your closet, rolled, and smoked...
Oh wait, that's marijuana..."Einhander Sn0m4n
EnterpriseSovereign
Sith Marauder

Post by EnterpriseSovereign »

mr friendly guy wrote: 2017-09-06 06:30pm Some endeavours are easy enough to do without needing to visit areas I don't normally go to. Like kill x number of ships can be done by visiting the Borg red alert and Tholian red alert queues. I did those while building up my second toon.
I've been using the Red Alerts to advance my toons' ship mastery, the Borg one seems good for that since cubes reward a lot of XP.

With the slowly increasing variety of special consoles appearing it's getting harder to make good choices, perhaps I should put together some kind of database.
EnterpriseSovereign
Sith Marauder

mr friendly guy wrote: 2017-08-20 03:12amI am now waiting for a lobi sale so I can also get a Paradox temporal dreadnought for my Romulan toon. The exploding spatial anomalies power would be real sweet for her, especially since her science ship utilises 5 spatial anomalies (Chrometric inversion, timeline collapse, Tyken's rift, subspace vortex and anti time entanglement), with the first 3 being triggered by the exploding anomalies power.
Looks like you just got your wish...

I assume opening lockboxes are the best way to get it- how many do you get per one?
mr friendly guy
The Doctor
Location: In a 1960s police telephone box somewhere in Australia

Post by mr friendly guy »

EnterpriseSovereign wrote: 2017-09-07 05:02pm
mr friendly guy wrote: 2017-08-20 03:12amI am now waiting for a lobi sale so I can also get a Paradox temporal dreadnought for my Romulan toon. The exploding spatial anomalies power would be real sweet for her, especially since her science ship utilises 5 spatial anomalies (Chrometric inversion, timeline collapse, Tyken's rift, subspace vortex and anti time entanglement), with the first 3 being triggered by the exploding anomalies power.
Looks like you just got your wish...

I assume opening lockboxes are the best way to get it- how many do you get per one?
An average of 4-5 lobi crystals per lockbox.
Never apologise for being a geek, because they won't apologise to you for being an arsehole. John Barrowman - 22 June 2014 Perth Supernova.

Countries I have been to - 14.
Australia, Canada, China, Colombia, Denmark, Ecuador, Finland, Germany, Malaysia, Netherlands, Norway, Singapore, Sweden, USA.
Always on the lookout for more nice places to visit.
Lord Revan
Emperor's Hand

Post by Lord Revan »

I'm pretty sure Lockboxes are the only way to get lobi.
"I think you completely missed the point of sigs. They're supposed to be completely homegrown in the fertile hydroponics lab of your mind, dried in your closet, rolled, and smoked...
Elheru Aran
Emperor's Hand

Post by Elheru Aran »

Lord Revan wrote: 2017-09-08 03:44am I'm pretty sure Lockboxes are the only way to get lobi.
Apart from the freebie you get when you finish Drozana Station the first time (15 iirc) and there used to be missions with hidden crystals that you could replay, but not anymore. You can still get a 15 crystal reward for playing through an older mission though, but you can only do one per day per account.
It's a strange world. Let's keep it that way.
houser2112
Padawan Learner

Post by houser2112 »

Elheru Aran wrote: 2017-09-08 12:46pm
Lord Revan wrote: 2017-09-08 03:44am I'm pretty sure Lockboxes are the only way to get lobi.
Apart from the freebie you get when you finish Drozana Station the first time (15 iirc) and there used to be missions with hidden crystals that you could replay, but not anymore. You can still get a 15 crystal reward for playing through an older mission though, but you can only do one per day per account.
Really? Which mission is this?
Lord Revan
Emperor's Hand

Post by Lord Revan »

houser2112 wrote: 2017-09-08 01:43pm
Elheru Aran wrote: 2017-09-08 12:46pm
Really? Which mission is this?
IIRC it has been removed, as the developers removed all farmble sources of lobi.
Elheru Aran
Emperor's Hand

Post by Elheru Aran »

Hmm, the STO Wiki implied you could still play older missions for lobi, but of course it's just a wiki... someone probably hasn't bothered updating it.
It's a strange world. Let's keep it that way.
EnterpriseSovereign
Sith Marauder

Elheru Aran wrote: 2017-09-08 06:43pm Hmm, the STO Wiki implied you could still play older missions for lobi, but of course it's just a wiki... someone probably hasn't bothered updating it.
Yeah, they haven't completed the page for the House Martok set- I'd do it myself if I had the skills to create the tables used to convey the stats of each item. As one of the items is an omni-directional disruptor it naturally pairs with the craft-able version. Somewhat strangely, Brushfire has the console as a fixed reward, so if you run the mission twice to get both the beam and the torpedo you end up with a duplicate console.

It also means some difficulty choosing which lockboxes to use my account-bound master keys on since the wiki can't be relied on to give me the best info.
Lord Revan
Emperor's Hand

Post by Lord Revan »

Elheru Aran wrote: 2017-09-08 06:43pm Hmm, the STO Wiki implied you could still play older missions for lobi, but of course it's just a wiki... someone probably hasn't bothered updating it.
either hasn't bothered or are refusing to update it hoping it will "force" Cryptic to revert the removal of Lobi from missions (yes I know that'll never happen but some people aren't aware of that or are just stuck in wishful thinking).
EnterpriseSovereign
Sith Marauder

Latest 20% ship sale coincides with the release of new flight-deck cruisers. The Feds and KDF get precious few cruisers with 5 forward guns, and these ships cannot use cannons. In the case of the Klingons though, most ships can use cannons but a lot of them shouldn't. The Romulans I think would struggle to find a role as the Scimitar is superior in most respects.
EnterpriseSovereign
Sith Marauder

GHETTO EDIT: Forgot to say that the Minority/Majority ship trait would work better if they were swapped, with increased damage resistance when outnumbered and increased damage dealt when not. As I had some Zen left over I bit the bullet and bought the pack- too soon to say if after this I get the fleet version. Only in STO would the Fed version look Romulan, and the Romulan one appear Klingon! :lol:
Lord Revan
Emperor's Hand

Post by Lord Revan »

I other news I hate when people use Gravity Wells or similar skills when fighting the Tzenkethi in space. "Oh this fight isnt bad enough already lets bunch those ships together so they buff each other and make everyone's job several times harder then it has to be".

That said I did get a nice new wallpaper with the recent FE.
EnterpriseSovereign
Sith Marauder

Lord Revan wrote: 2017-09-15 05:29pm I other news I hate when people use Gravity Wells or similar skills when fighting the Tzenkethi in space. "Oh this fight isnt bad enough already lets bunch those ships together so they buff each other and make everyone's job several times harder then it has to be".

Best counter is Torpedo spread III with the Romulan Hyper Plasma Launcher. It means up to 20 plasma torpedoes all detonating in close proximity. And plasma torpedoes that have an AoE! :twisted:
Lord Revan
Emperor's Hand

Post by Lord Revan »

EnterpriseSovereign wrote: 2017-09-16 01:15pm
Lord Revan wrote: 2017-09-15 05:29pm I other news I hate when people use Gravity Wells or similar skills when fighting the Tzenkethi in space. "Oh this fight isnt bad enough already lets bunch those ships together so they buff each other and make everyone's job several times harder then it has to be".

Best counter is Torpedo spread III with the Romulan Hyper Plasma Launcher. It means up to 20 plasma torpedoes all detonating in close proximity. And plasma torpedoes that have an AoE! :twisted:
sure if your torps are epic and the Tzenkethi are already weakened, otherwise it'll have about as much effect as pissing on the hull of the Tzenkethi ships.

when in close proximity the smaller Tzenkethi ships make the larger ones damage immume.

Best realistic counter for the Tzenkethi is splitting them up and using a reverse kill order killing the frigates first then cruisers and only after that you'll deal with the Battleships and Dreadnaughts, ironically the dreadnaughts are often the least threaning Tzenkethi ships and the frigates the most threatening.
mr friendly guy
The Doctor

Haven't done many tzenkethi battles, but I have a powerful Tyken's rift which could drain them to zero in a few seconds. Would this work well against Tzenkethi.
Never apologise for being a geek, because they won't apologise to you for being an arsehole. John Barrowman - 22 June 2014 Perth Supernova.

Australia, Canada, China, Colombia, Denmark, Ecuador, Finland, Germany, Malaysia, Netherlands, Norway, Singapore, Sweden, USA.
Lord Revan
Emperor's Hand

Post by Lord Revan »

mr friendly guy wrote: 2017-09-22 10:21am Haven't done many tzenkethi battles, but I have a powerful Tyken's rift which could drain them to zero in a few seconds. Would this work well against Tzenkethi.
yes and no I suppose, the problem with the Tzenkethi is that the ships buff each other when in close proximity to point that out might as well be fighting 10 times the amount of ships.
FaxModem1
Emperor's Hand

Post by FaxModem1 »

Behold, the Skant.

Kilts will be available on Tuesday for those interested.
EnterpriseSovereign
Sith Marauder

New season has arrived, on a Tuesday as well. Just as unexpectedly a new Phoenix event accompanies it. Last such event didn't drop the dil-to-Zen exchange rate as much as before which hurt conversion. I still have a bunch of upgrades left over from the last one and was saving those for the next upgrade weekend- last time I opened a thousand packs and got exactly two UR tokens (which I still have).
mr friendly guy
The Doctor

I have mainly just been playing my second toon and slowly completing quests. My main toon just does admiralty quests. I think I might save up some of these new quests before playing them as I am mainly focus on the second toon at the moment. Also got a bunch of phoenix boxes, might get some more as I grind the dilithium.

EnterpriseSovereign
Sith Marauder

The bad news is that there's no upgrade weekend going on at the moment, so upgrade packs are only going to give the default number of tech points. The good news is that the increased demand for dil has driven down the exchange price by 10%, instead of the 5% of last time. Which makes sense since last event coincided with an upgrade weekend thus the demand was half what it is this time.

Nowadays these events are the only times when converting dil to Zen makes sense- while my stocks have only replenished to half what I had last time round I still had enough to trade almost 10,000Z, while having enough left to buy a few hundred packs. It's during events like this that I'm glad I have 10 toons! :lol:
Lord Revan
Emperor's Hand

Post by Lord Revan »

The new Dranuur queues are intresting and for a change you can't just beam in and roll over everything.
EnterpriseSovereign
Sith Marauder

I need to give those a try, as well as the new Red Alert.

I feel pretty lightheaded right now- I just offloaded 3.25 million refined dilithium out of a total of 3.85m (nearly 85%)! Where my toons had enough for 100 prize packs I had them buy a bundle, where they were short I had them buy Zen instead.

It's at the point where I have a small spreadsheet which I use to make a note of how much dilithium each character has so I know where to concentrate my efforts at any one time! :mrgreen:
Lord Revan
Emperor's Hand

Post by Lord Revan »

EnterpriseSovereign wrote: 2017-10-08 06:43pm I need to give those a try, as well as the new Red Alert.

I feel pretty lightheaded right now- I just offloaded 3.25 million refined dilithium out of a total of 3.85m (nearly 85%)! Where my toons had enough for 100 prize packs I had them buy a bundle, where they were short I had them buy Zen instead.

It's at the point where I have a small spreadsheet which I use to make a note of how much dilithium each character has so I know where to concentrate my efforts at any one time! :mrgreen:
Just to warn you the Dranuur queues are brutally difficult if you're used to your typical STO queue, they aren't too difficult (the advanced versions seemed about the same difficulty level as harder WoW LFR bosses, aka it's not difficult if you know what you need to do but it will punish you for laziness or indifference) and those 2 and from what I've heard the Red Alert queue will vary wildly in difficulty based on your group competence, in a good group they're not too hard but in a typical "too busy jerking off to do their job" pug they'll be a nightmare.