Should Picard have been promoted?

PST: discuss Star Trek without "versus" arguments.

Moderator: Vympel

Q99
Jedi Council Member

Re: Should Picard have been promoted?

Post by Q99 »

Additionally, the E-E is the absolute top of the line and new, Sovereign hulls are in very short supply, even more-so than Galaxies (While the E-D is still a newish design, by the time of Generations it is over a decade old and a newer gen of ships has begun being deployed... and even if they salvaged the Saucer, they'd likely put it on a new ship, no Engineering section means it isn't the Enterprise).

The Stargazer was a pretty old ship at the time, so it's loss is no surprise.

Also, thanks to SIFs, ships can be pretty collision resistant.
Eternal_Freedom
Castellan

Post by Eternal_Freedom »

Lord Revan wrote: That said it wouldn't surprice at all if the Stargazer could have been repaired and returned to duty had starfleet been able to recover her right after the battle of maxia (though I suspect too much time had passed when she was recovered from the ferengi to make repairing her worth the effort), Enterprise (NCC-1701-D) lost the whole of the stardrive section and there was possibly (if not likely) heavy damage in the saucer section thanks to the unplanned crash landing.
Picard says in his closing log in Generations that while casualties were light, "the Enterprise herself cannot be salvaged."
Baltar: "I don't want to miss a moment of the last Battlestar's destruction!"
Centurion: "Sir, I really think you should look at the other Battlestar."
Baltar: "What are you babbling about other...it's impossible!"
Centurion: "No. It is a Battlestar."

Corrax Entry 7:17: So you walk eternally through the shadow realms, standing against evil where all others falter. May your thirst for retribution never quench, may the blood on your sword never dry, and may we never need you again.
Lord Revan
Emperor's Hand

Post by Lord Revan »

Eternal_Freedom wrote:
Lord Revan wrote: That said it wouldn't surprice at all if the Stargazer could have been repaired and returned to duty had starfleet been able to recover her right after the battle of maxia (though I suspect too much time had passed when she was recovered from the ferengi to make repairing her worth the effort), Enterprise (NCC-1701-D) lost the whole of the stardrive section and there was possibly (if not likely) heavy damage in the saucer section thanks to the unplanned crash landing.
Picard says in his closing log in Generations that while casualties were light, "the Enterprise herself cannot be salvaged."
I might have worded it better but my point is that the Enterprise had lost the stardrive section totally and there was most likely heavy damage on the saucer section (even though casualities were light) so the fact that Enterprise (NCC-1701-D) was written of as loss is not really a surprise.
I may be an idiot, but I'm a tolerated idiot
"I think you completely missed the point of sigs. They're supposed to be completely homegrown in the fertile hydroponics lab of your mind, dried in your closet, rolled, and smoked...
Oh wait, that's marijuana..."Einhander Sn0m4n
Ave Dominus Nox
Redshirt

Post by Ave Dominus Nox »

Out of universe I suppose they could have promoted Picard to Rear Admiral and let him take the Enterprise as his flagship which would allow him to stay on the show. Also from an in-universe perspective if the Enterprise is going to be out and about meeting new races and governments and acting as ad-hoc ambassador on occasions then having an officer of Flag rank on-board wouldn't be the worse thing.

Also slightly off topic, but does the USS Defiant have an actual permanent crew or is it just pulled from DS9s crew?
"My sons, the galaxy is burning. We all bear witness to a final truth -- our way is not the way of the Imperium. You have never stood in the Emperor’s light. Never worn the Imperial eagle. And you never will. You shall stand in midnight clad, your claws forever red with the lifeblood of my father’s failed empire, warring through the centuries as the talons of a murdered god. Rise, my sons, and take your wrath across the stars, in my name. In my memory. Rise, my Night Lords."

— The Primarch Konrad Curze, at the final gathering of the VIII Legion
Lord Revan
Emperor's Hand

Post by Lord Revan »

Ave Dominus Nox wrote: 2017-09-25 10:54pmAlso slightly off topic, but does the USS Defiant have an actual permanent crew or is it just pulled from DS9s crew?
DS9 crew, the defiant is assigned to Deep Space 9 and thus has no crew of its own.
"I think you completely missed the point of sigs. They're supposed to be completely homegrown in the fertile hydroponics lab of your mind, dried in your closet, rolled, and smoked...
Patroklos
Sith Devotee

Post by Patroklos »

The best part about Picard being an Admiral is that allows, even though I think it is limiting and unrealistic, Riker to become a ship CO and still keep the band together.

And that doesn't mean everyone has to get a promotion along with them. They should have jettisoned Troy and Beverly half way through the movies to go on to bigger and better things in Starfleet (ie remove their wooden performances. In the case Sirtis not giving any performance at all, just being Sirtis) a la Sulu and bringing in some fresh blood. The TNG movies were SCREAMING for an inject to add some energy to the main cast even if just one movie plot vehicles. Think Valeris or Saavik.
NeoGoomba
Sith Devotee

Post by NeoGoomba »

Hey we had Lieutenant Hawke in First Contact. A good actor playing a decent role. Good thing they killed him off instead of keeping him around to be a Worf surrogate or something.
"A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it. Fifteen hundred years ago everybody knew the Earth was the center of the universe. Five hundred years ago, everybody knew the Earth was flat, and fifteen minutes ago, you knew that humans were alone on this planet. Imagine what you'll know...tomorrow."
-Agent Kay
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Post by The Romulan Republic »

Patroklos wrote: 2017-09-26 03:29am The best part about Picard being an Admiral is that allows, even though I think it is limiting and unrealistic, Riker to become a ship CO and still keep the band together.

And that doesn't mean everyone has to get a promotion along with them. They should have jettisoned Troy and Beverly half way through the movies to go on to bigger and better things in Starfleet (ie remove their wooden performances. In the case Sirtis not giving any performance at all, just being Sirtis) a la Sulu and bringing in some fresh blood. The TNG movies were SCREAMING for an inject to add some energy to the main cast even if just one movie plot vehicles. Think Valeris or Saavik.
Has the problem of losing both your remaining female main cast members. They'd have had to introduce new female characters to take their place.
"I know its easy to be defeatist here because nothing has seemingly reigned Trump in so far. But I will say this: every asshole succeeds until finally, they don't. Again, 18 months before he resigned, Nixon had a sky-high approval rating of 67%. Harvey Weinstein was winning Oscars until one day, he definitely wasn't."-John Oliver

"The greatest enemy of a good plan is the dream of a perfect plan."-General Von Clauswitz, describing my opinion of Bernie or Busters and third partiers in a nutshell.

I SUPPORT A NATIONAL GENERAL STRIKE TO REMOVE TRUMP FROM OFFICE.
Lord Revan
Emperor's Hand

Post by Lord Revan »

The Romulan Republic wrote: 2017-10-08 11:56pm
Patroklos wrote: 2017-09-26 03:29am The best part about Picard being an Admiral is that allows, even though I think it is limiting and unrealistic, Riker to become a ship CO and still keep the band together.

Has the problem of losing both your remaining female main cast members. They'd have had to introduce new female characters to take their place.
there's also the matter that By this time the main cast had been together for 7 years at the very least (work of Generations started pretty soon after TNG ended) so removing any cast members might not be an option if you want to keep any of them.
Q99
Jedi Council Member

Post by Q99 »

Remember they tried getting rid of Beverly (who btw I liked) in S2, and invited her back in S3.

As for Troi, they really needed to shift her role. She did have some good stuff, but mostly later on once she got a proper uniform, and I blame the writers much more than the actress.
Prometheus Unbound
Jedi Master

Post by Prometheus Unbound »

Q99 wrote: 2017-10-12 09:09am Remember they tried getting rid of Beverly (who btw I liked) in S2, and invited her back in S3.
Well, Maurice Hurley either sexually assaulted or attempted to sexually assault her, there's that as well. She returned at Stewart's request, after Hurley had left the show.
NecronLord wrote:
Also, shorten your signature a couple of lines please.
Patroklos
Sith Devotee

Post by Patroklos »

Q99 wrote: 2017-10-12 09:09am Remember they tried getting rid of Beverly (who btw I liked) in S2, and invited her back in S3.

As for Troi, they really needed to shift her role. She did have some good stuff, but mostly later on once she got a proper uniform, and I blame the writers much more than the actress.
Troi had her issues on the show, however I am revering to her simply disappearing in the movies. There was some actress who looked like her who kept wandering onto the sets between raiding the crew catering. You would have thought they would have edited that out.

To be fair, Sirtis was the only one who really had to change herself to include changing her voice and syntax. Stewart, for instance, was really just being Stewart reading lines. He was just really well cast (and was playing a human). The same was true for the rest of the main cast. Even Dorn only had to play Klingon sometimes, he just talked like he talks in real life most of the time. She probably just started getting comfortable and felt invulnerable due to the the reasons someone said above. She could get away with not being Troi.
Tribble
Sith Devotee

Post by Tribble »

Well, Troi does have the honour of being the only one to have crashed two Federation flagships; that ought to count for something! :P
"I reject your reality and substitute my own!" - The official Troll motto, as stated by Adam Savage