Moving

OT: anything goes!

Moderator: Edi

LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Moving

Post by LadyTevar »

It's official. I will be moving out of my apartment, deadline Oct 15th.

This is mostly because I haven't gotten a new job, and I can't afford rent here anymore. As of this moment, I'll most likely be living with my Mom. :roll:

Wish more of you lived closer, I could use help packing up.
Nitram, slightly high on cough syrup: Do you know you're beautiful?
Me: Nope, that's why I have you around to tell me.
Nitram: You -are- beautiful. Anyone tries to tell you otherwise kill them.

"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP" -- Leonard Nimoy, last Tweet
Raw Shark
Stunt Driver / Babysitter

Re: Moving

Post by Raw Shark »

I believe that you know my opinion on the subject.

"Do I really look like a guy with a plan? Y'know what I am? I'm a dog chasing cars. I wouldn't know what to do with one if I caught it! Y'know, I just do things..." --The Joker
LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

Yes. And I've told you my opinions on your suggestion to move to Denver and stay with you. Not gonna happen until you get your shit straight.

"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP" -- Leonard Nimoy, last Tweet
Raw Shark

Post by Raw Shark »

LadyTevar wrote: 2017-09-27 11:52am Yes. And I've told you my opinions on your suggestion to move to Denver and stay with you. Not gonna happen until you get your shit straight.
Hey, just offering. My shit is actually more straight than it sounds; I just post the funny stuff. ;)

"Do I really look like a guy with a plan? Y'know what I am? I'm a dog chasing cars. I wouldn't know what to do with one if I caught it! Y'know, I just do things..." --The Joker
Soontir C'boath
SG-14: Fuck the Medic!
Location: Queens, NYC I DON'T FUCKING CARE IF MANHATTEN IS CONSIDERED NYC!! I'M IN IT ASSHOLE!!!

Post by Soontir C'boath »

Congratulations, you have become a Millennial. ;)

At the end of the day, you gotta do what you gotta do.
I have almost reached the regrettable conclusion that the Negro's great stumbling block in his stride toward freedom is not the White Citizen's Counciler or the Ku Klux Klanner, but the white moderate, who is more devoted to "order" than to justice; who constantly says: "I agree with you in the goal you seek, but I cannot agree with your methods of direct action"; who paternalistically believes he can set the timetable for another man's freedom; who lives by a mythical concept of time and who constantly advises the Negro to wait for a "more convenient season."
LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

I will say I will not turn down anyone who wishes to help via sending me money to help cover moving costs.

Zaune
Emperor's Hand

Post by Zaune »

Remind me a week today when I next have money.

And I'm sure Raw Shark isn't the only person who would be happy to let you crash with them for a while. Heck, if not for certain geographical and political hindrances (and the fact I guarantee Raw Shark has his shit together far more than I do!) I'd be glad to put my sofabed at your disposal. I'm sure you'd be a better source of intelligent conversation than the last individual I did this for...
There are hardly any excesses of the most crazed psychopath that cannot easily be duplicated by a normal kindly family man who just comes in to work every day and has a job to do.
-- (Terry Pratchett, Small Gods)

Replace "ginger" with "n*gger," and suddenly it become a lot less funny, doesn't it?
-- fgalkin

Like my writing? Tip me on Patreon

I Have A Blog
Raw Shark

Post by Raw Shark »

LadyTevar wrote: 2017-09-27 04:13pm I will say I will not turn down anyone who wishes to help via sending me money to help cover moving costs.
Look at the bright side: Now that you've finally hit rock bottom in West Virginia, you can take this opportunity to live rent-free for a few months and save up money to move somewhere that has more opportunities for you.

What kind of expenses are you looking at to relocate from your place to your Mom's house? Doesn't she live in the same community?

LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

Raw Shark wrote: 2017-09-28 05:12am What kind of expenses are you looking at to relocate from your place to your Mom's house? Doesn't she live in the same community?
HAHAH! Hell no! She lives an hour away and 800ft up the mountain, in my hometown. I moved away in 1991 to the "big city" because I was sick of living in the holler! Ansted is one of those no-stoplight towns that is tottering on the edge of losing its schools from lack of population. Everyone who could afford to move out left in the 1980-90s down I-77 to points South where there were better jobs. The only ones left are those who couldn't afford to move, those who had state, county, or tourism jobs, and those who just couldn't leave family behind.

My job prospects are going to be worse up there, but at least rent is free, right? :P
Of course, all my remaining family up there are highly conservative church-goers, so my social life will suck more than ever. :banghead:

Anyway... expenses are mostly final shutoffs on utilities, boxes for moving, uhaul van, and stocking Mom's fridge with stuff *I* like.

Raw Shark

Post by Raw Shark »

Suggestion:

#1: Sell everything you don't need. Be ruthless here. Shake off the dead weight and pocket some gas money.

#2: (Not to stereotype but) borrow a pick-up truck and move your vital shit to Mom's house.

#3: Work. Save money.

#4: Research better opportunities. Take advantage of them.

#5: At least consider other communities where you might have a better chance and/or existing friends.

#6: Get your shit together. Reap happiness.

Raw Shark

Post by Raw Shark »

Additional Suggestion: Your first sacrifice on that list of expenses should probably be the food, unless you have essential dietary needs such as celiac, allergies, or diabetes. Your Mom probably at least has breakfast cereal, if not supplies to make basic sandwiches, which will keep you going until you find a new job. It's not glamorous or permanent, but it's calories to work and a full belly to ward off discomfort. If you have access to ample spare time and a rifle, I believe we've discussed the other option.

If there is a tourism industry in the community, you can probably at least get a job serving tables. That usually comes with a shift meal, so you could vary your diet for free that way.

LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

Saturday Morning, getting up early to have a Yard Sale of things I really don't need/want to keep. Right now, mostly dish sets and knicknacks. Also expecting my lil brother over to help me pack up things I want to keep. Probably going to pack up everything I don't use in the kitchen, my sewing stuff, and my SCA stuff. Could probably also pack my summer clothes away. Already packed up my books, 7 boxes full there.

Raw Shark

Post by Raw Shark »

If you are packing anything you don't use, you're not taking this seriously. Sell it. Are there any books you don't read over and over in those seven boxes? Sell them. What about furniture? Does your Mom have room for it all?

LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

Shark? I appreciate the suggestions, but perhaps you should reread what I said.

I AM SELLING SHIT I DON"T USE.
I AM PACKING AWAY STUFF I WON'T NEED UP AT MY MOM'S, WHILE KEEPING IT HANDY FOR WHEN I GET A NEW PLACE. THIS INCLUDES THINGS I WON'T BE ABSOLUTELY NEEDING OVER THE NEXT TWO WEEKS.
Or did you think I would be getting rid of all my cast iron, all my cake pans and racks, my FiestaWare 12-piece dinning set (with the two pitchers, sugar/creamer set, serving bowls, and matching eating utensils), or my Iced Tea Maker?

Raw Shark

Post by Raw Shark »

Good, then. Good luck with everything.

LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

I've emptied two closets, nearly all of my kitchen cabinets, and packed the SCA and sewing gear up. All the books I'm keeping are packed, and so is my Important Paperwork. I'm starting to run out of room for storing the boxes. Thankfully my lil brother and his boys are coming up Saturday and we're gonna run as much as we can up to my Mom's, so there's less to pack on the Uhaul.

But I look around and there's still So Much to still pack. It's a little depressing how much shit I have, how much I'm still getting rid of because I don't really need it. Like this fossilized tree branch that was found in the coal mine above my town. I've kept it because my Dad gave it to me, because of where it was found, and because it's a really cool fossil. You can see the imprint where it fell and laid across a smaller branch, and you can see all the pits where the leaves were once attached. But do I really need to keep hauling it around? Is there somewhere better for it?

So many little knicknacks and trinkets that I kept out of sentimentality. Collectible unicorn statues from the Princeton Gallery Porcelain , with real gold or platinum gilt decoration. One even has a real sapphire embedded below its horn. Right now I'm close to just breaking the sapphire out and tossing the statue. All they do is gather dust anymore.

But I'm just ranting and whinging right now. It's hard to look around and know you *have* done a lot, but looking at all the rest I have to do depresses me. Hopefully having the lil brother here will help. I won't be doing this all alone then.

LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

Lost track of how many boxes/bags I packed today. I just know that my bedroom closet is cleared out, as are all four dressers. I have a bag packed with clothes for this week, and that's that.

Summer clothes were all in one box, amazingly, and that's getting stuck in the basement. But the long sleeved shirts, the winter sweaters, the scarves, ponchos, drapes and other layering items take up four boxes. Winter coats take up yet another box. I think I'm ready

Raw Shark

Post by Raw Shark »

"When you own enough objects, they eventually own you." --Tao Te Ching

LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

Amazingly, my lil bro pulled off a Tetris and got every single box and bag I had packed into his van... and then into Mom's basement.

Time to fill more boxes

madd0ct0r
Sith Acolyte

Post by madd0ct0r »

Good luck Tev!

With those living costs, any mileage in SCA handmade stuff on etsy?
"Aid, trade, green technology and peace." - Hans Rosling.
"Welcome to SDN, where we can't see the forest because walking into trees repeatedly feels good, bro." - Mr Coffee
LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

madd0ct0r wrote: 2017-10-08 04:28am Good luck Tev!

With those living costs, any mileage in SCA handmade stuff on etsy?
I'm not that good at sewing, tbh. I can make myself simple kirtles, cotehardies, and sideless surcoats, but I never feel confident making something for another person. Especially if they're wanting something fancier.

LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

In other news: I have emptied out all of the kitchen drawers (silverware, cooking utensils, and all three "junk drawers"). Living on paper plates and plastic forks for the next week. Also emptied out the kitchen pantry of everything but food, and packed away all the pots and pans (although I've not sealed the boxes yet -- might need something) All that took three (3) boxes.

Then I went to the living room. Started with small stuff, knicknacks and things. Filled six (6) small boxes (12inx12in, roughly), still have a few things that didn't fit the small boxes. Packed the Printer in bubblewrap, then added pictures and other small items to fill up the box, and filled a second box with JUST my SCA Scribal and Illumination supplies.

One Empty Box left, but it's only a 16x12in. Not big enough to empty the Linen closet into, too big for the stuff yet to be packed, I think. Things like my jewelry boxes (mundane and SCA), my Black Phoenix Alchemy Lab perfume collection (in a lovely wooden box), and my daggers. Also have to get more boxes for my music and movies: a mix of cassettes, records, cds, vhs tapes, cds, and dvds/bluerays. Then I need a box for the Booze, cause there's too much to drink it all before I move to Mom's.

Mom was nice enough to loan me an ice chest for whatever food I have left by Sunday.

LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

So.... went and got more boxes.

All of the knicknacks are now packed. The linen closet is now packed. The bathroom pantry and medicine cabinet is now packed (I have my toiletries bag for the rest of the week). Nothing left now but the pictures on the walls, the lamps, and all the foodstuffs in the kitchen. Then all the furniture.

Still have to go by the library to donate the Dvds I'm tossing, and I've got two bags for Goodwill. Have taken out 8 bags of trash. Tomorrow, have to go to the bank, have to talk to Medicaid to update my address, and a few other errands

Elheru Aran
Emperor's Hand

Post by Elheru Aran »

Knick-knacks can be the worst. It's surprising how many of those you can accumulate.
It's a strange world. Let's keep it that way.
Raw Shark

Post by Raw Shark »

LadyTevar wrote: 2017-10-09 12:53amThen I need a box for the Booze, cause there's too much to drink it all before I move to Mom's.
Hand in your SCA card right now. ;)