General Police Abuse Thread

N&P: Discuss governments, nations, politics and recent related news here.

Moderators: Alyrium Denryle, Edi, K. A. Pital

Flagg
CUNTS FOR EYES!
Location: Hell. In The Room Right Next to Reagan. He's Fucking Bonzo. No, wait... Bonzo's fucking HIM.

Re: General Police Abuse Thread

Post by Flagg »

Napoleon the Clown wrote: 2017-09-03 11:11pm It's mildly upsetting when a uniformed thug (I am referring to Jeff Payne here, in case it wasn't clear from context) attempts to violate an unconscious man's 4th Amendment rights and arrests a nurse for following the law, the hospital's policies, and basic medical ethics and the uniformed thug isn't so much as put on paid leave during the investigation. It is mildly upsetting that he threatened to take patients to another hospital when driving an ambulance. His behavior, on camera, should result in an "internal investigation" that involves looking at the video and audio evidence and saying, "Yep, he did everything wrong here. He is fired." Any other job and he'd have been out on his ass long before now. I'm not gonna be passive about police brutality, and how often it goes unpunished.

So maybe he's part of another police union. He's probably union, though. Even though Utah is Right-to-Work and he can't be required to join a union (unless Utah's Right-to-Work laws make an exception for police), who would say no to a union that can pretty much promise you they'll stop you from getting fired for just about anything? Most unions aren't so utterly powerful, so utterly corrupt, that they'll make sure a member is completely shielded from consequences. Making sure that the person isn't arbitrarily shitcanned, or fired under false pretenses is one thing. Protecting someone who violated every single law related to their actions? That's entirely different.

If the truck driver chose to take the UHP to court (and he could... how easily he could win under these circumstances is another question entirely) then being able to show even a trace of anything in his blood would strengthen their defense massively. A competent lawyer could claim that engaging in a high speed chase after getting identification of the vehicle and license plate was reckless and endangered the public more than breaking off pursuit and apprehending the guy at another point. Would it work? Dunno. But being able to say "Oh, he was on this so his reflexes weren't up to snuff!" would help them massively.

I don't trust police when they defend other police. Their word is immediately suspect. My only solace is that the victim is also a police officer, so the chances of justice are higher. Payne shouldn't be employed as a LEO in any capacity ever again, and he shouldn't be allowed to be employed as an emergency medical responder in any capacity ever again given his behavior.

Here's the straight truth on the blood sample: It would need to be proven that the victim were in some way inebriated. If they wanted to protect him from such allegations, they could wait until he was conscious and able to consent. Not that they would need to, because the crash was in no way his fault and in no way suggested some manner of inebriation or impairment.
I'm in complete agreement except for one thing. The thug with a badge knew that the victim could either die or not give consent in time for the CYA blood draw to reveal any possible impairment to be detected. That's why they should have contacted a judge to give them a warrant.

To me this is simply a shithead bully with a badge who decided to kidnap (fuck the legal definition, people have been charged with kidnapping for locking a door and disabling a phone) a nurse who was doing what the law required of her because she dared to refuse his unlawful orders despite doing so politely and explaining why.

The worst part is that I doubt Detective Payne the Micro-Penis will even be demoted, let alone shitcanned and put in a cell for 25-life like he belongs.
We pissing our pants yet?
-Negan

You got your shittin' pants on? Because you’re about to
Shit. Your. Pants!
-Negan

He who can,
does; he who cannot, teaches.
-George Bernard Shaw
TheFeniX
Sith Marauder

Post by TheFeniX »

It's labor day weekend and I've had a few, so apologies if this comes of as rambling:

I''m tired of this blue-wall shit. This wasn't some emergent situation were you can claim "lives were at stake" or "man, if I hadn't acted RIGHT FUCKING NOW, I'd be dead." Cops didn't know the law and demanded a citizen assault another and arrested her when she wouldn't do it. That's attempted battery. That's kidnapping.

You know what happens when some dumbfuck Texan doesn't know the law and draws his concealed weapon against a shoplifter and empties a mag into his car? He goes to jail and only the shittiest of the shitty try and defend him. Meanwhile if you have a badge, "muh union" can't even get you shittcanned.

I'm sorry, but charge a few cops pulling bullshit of this nature where "ZOMG, a licensed medical professional won't stab some fucker I want them to" leads to "crying, then handcuffs being pulled out" with kidnapping and this shit cleans itself up real fast. This is like how the only way to get cops to stop "YOLOing" no-knock warrents in a state like Texas is to shoot them in the fucking face. Cops won't cool their shit, so someone needs to cool it for them.

Fuck, I would back any politicians that doesn't wet their pants at the idea of telling bullshit LEO policy to fuck off. Is there even one in the ballpark here? Like "good cops are great, but I will HULK-SMASH the shitty ones." I can't think of one and I'm from "giterdun" Texas. That's fucking sad.
Dominus Atheos
Sith Marauder

Post by Dominus Atheos »

Kamakazie Sith wrote: 2017-09-04 12:10am
So maybe he's part of another police union. He's probably union, though. Even though Utah is Right-to-Work and he can't be required to join a union (unless Utah's Right-to-Work laws make an exception for police), who would say no to a union that can pretty much promise you they'll stop you from getting fired for just about anything? Most unions aren't so utterly powerful, so utterly corrupt, that they'll make sure a member is completely shielded from consequences. Making sure that the person isn't arbitrarily shitcanned, or fired under false pretenses is one thing. Protecting someone who violated every single law related to their actions? That's entirely different.
He is very likely the member of the local SLPD union which doesn't hold anywhere near the power like that of the FOP. Preventing someone from getting fired is well outside of their abilities. Hell, they can't even negotiate cost of living increase let alone something the size of not firing someone for a fuck up like Payne.
I'm pretty sure Napoleon means to refer to the local police union, but seems to think that all police unions are the FOP. FOP are a national umbrella organization that some police unions are affiliated with, and the[urlSalt Lake Police Association] Salt Lake Police Association[/url] isn't one of them. From their website:
...In 1978, Salt Lake City government finally gave formal recognition to the IBPO, and established the first (and to this day, the only) municipal collective bargaining resolution in Utah...

...In 1984, the Salt Lake Police Association was formed as an independent Union, and won recognition by the City as the exclusive bargaining agent for the officers. In 1990, the Association affiliated with the International Union of Police Associations, AFL-CIO, and finally became a part of the mainstream American labor movement.

In 2014 The Association disaffiliated with IUPA and the AFL-CIO and became a standalone Union again. The Association stands with the Utah State AFL-CIO in legislative issues to preserve retirement, collective bargaining and other labor issues although no longer an affiliate.
There is also a section for "CONTRACTS" but isn't accessible to non-members. That would probably tell us if the union contract/collective bargaining agreement includes a restriction on firing an officer without a hearing first.
Vendetta
Emperor's Hand

Post by Vendetta »

Additional comedy update:

The unconscious man whose rights the nurse protected from an overzealous police officer?

He's also a police officer, from Rigby in Idaho.

Independent
Napoleon the Clown
Jedi Council Member

Post by Napoleon the Clown »

Kamakazie Sith wrote: 2017-09-04 12:10am Completely agree. No excuse for your loss of control. It's one thing to be upset with Payne. It's one thing to be upset with SLC and the PD. It's another thing to start calling every officer involved in the incident a thug.
Every LEO nearby is complicit by not telling Payne to step the fuck off.
He is very likely the member of the local SLPD union which doesn't hold anywhere near the power like that of the FOP. Preventing someone from getting fired is well outside of their abilities. Hell, they can't even negotiate cost of living increase let alone something the size of not firing someone for a fuck up like Payne.

If he isn't fired it will be because the chief of police has too much direct power in that capacity. It shouldn't be up to him at all but it is entirely up to him.
I was unaware of the specifics of SLCPD's union situation, conceded. I assumed based off your past comments on being a membr of FOP and the sheer size of the FOP.
This isn't a simple traffic offense that they were trying to stop this driver for. His driving was dangerous to the public which is why UHP was requested. The pursuit was also brief. Basically, they had a reason to conduct the traffic stop and a valid reason to pursue. This protects them from liability at least under established case law.
Again, civil court and no guarantees that a lawyer could succeed in making it a successful case. But it is the only rationale I can think of for Payne to want to obtain a sample.
This doesn't make sense. The only cop that did something wrong was Payne. UHP did not do anything wrong - their actual job is enforcing traffic law and protecting the public from threats posed by someone driving dangerously.

Anyway, I agree Payne should be let go.
Payne, and any other cop who was around when he assaulted the nurse for obeying hospital procedure, basic medical ethics, and the law. What makes no sense, exactly? The blue wall stuff means police word is suspect when they defend their buddies. Hell, tribal bullshit makes close-knit communities suspect when someone gives an alibi to someone suspected of wrong-doing. It's pretty damn well established that police often cover for each other. I refer specifically to claims that the Cache County Police, UHP, or Payne knew that Gray was a reserve police officer in Idaho. If they did, his home department would have found out about the crash and wrongful arrest of the nurse the day it happened instead of, what, three days later? UHP wouldn't say anything?
Not proven. There would need to be reasonable suspicion of DUI in order to legally obtain the blood sample but this is otherwise correct.
The blood sample was unnecessary to even protect Gray from conviction of DUI. There was no reasonable suspicion in the first place That's my entire point. There was no legitimate reason to obtain a blood sample from him. Payne obviously knows little to nothing about the law, so I can easily imagine him not knowing that the odds of Gray successfully suing UHP being damn near non-existent. So he wanted to protect his buddies from a lawsuit. The only group that would have any cause at all to check for any intoxicants in his system would be the hospital, and only if they were concerned about medication interactions. I do bet, however, that Payne knew damn well that there was no way he could get a warrant. Otherwise, he would have relented and got a damn warrant, instead of souring relations between the local police and the U of U hospital. And he would not have threatened to take patients to a "good" hospital when working as an ambulance driver. That he has a job right now is damning of his superiors. Any other job, you'd be fired for cause within 24 hours when behaving like that.
Sig images are for people who aren't fucking lazy.
Kamakazie Sith
Emperor's Hand

Post by Kamakazie Sith »

Napoleon the Clown wrote: 2017-09-04 09:08pm Every LEO nearby is complicit by not telling Payne to step the fuck off.
Thank you for being more specific. This is a reasonable position to hold.
I was unaware of the specifics of SLCPD's union situation, conceded. I assumed based off your past comments on being a membr of FOP and the sheer size of the FOP.
Exactly why caution is warranted instead of flipping the fuck out.
Again, civil court and no guarantees that a lawyer could succeed in making it a successful case. But it is the only rationale I can think of for Payne to want to obtain a sample.
Payne didn't want to. He was sent their by the agency investigating the fatal crash. Blood is typically taken in all fatal accidents.
Payne, and any other cop who was around when he assaulted the nurse for obeying hospital procedure, basic medical ethics, and the law. What makes no sense, exactly? The blue wall stuff means police word is suspect when they defend their buddies. Hell, tribal bullshit makes close-knit communities suspect when someone gives an alibi to someone suspected of wrong-doing. It's pretty damn well established that police often cover for each other. I refer specifically to claims that the Cache County Police, UHP, or Payne knew that Gray was a reserve police officer in Idaho. If they did, his home department would have found out about the crash and wrongful arrest of the nurse the day it happened instead of, what, three days later? UHP wouldn't say anything?
That's a valid correction.

It's well established that police in the same department often cover for each other but this is a pointless discussion and in the end your suspicion is warranted.
The blood sample was unnecessary to even protect Gray from conviction of DUI. There was no reasonable suspicion in the first place That's my entire point. There was no legitimate reason to obtain a blood sample from him. Payne obviously knows little to nothing about the law, so I can easily imagine him not knowing that the odds of Gray successfully suing UHP being damn near non-existent. So he wanted to protect his buddies from a lawsuit. The only group that would have any cause at all to check for any intoxicants in his system would be the hospital, and only if they were concerned about medication interactions. I do bet, however, that Payne knew damn well that there was no way he could get a warrant. Otherwise, he would have relented and got a damn warrant, instead of souring relations between the local police and the U of U hospital. And he would not have threatened to take patients to a "good" hospital when working as an ambulance driver. That he has a job right now is damning of his superiors. Any other job, you'd be fired for cause within 24 hours when behaving like that.
Blood is typically taken from all drivers in fatal accidents but by request unless PC exists. I think at some point in the video one of the officers discusses just getting the warrant but Payne says "They don't have PC" but thinks implied consent still applies. So, you are correct he knew damn well they couldn't get a warrant and like you said he clearly doesn't know the law.

Any other job? This is absolutely incorrect. Many jobs have procedures for termination especially in government work but I will agree that police are protected far better than the others.
Milites Astrum Exterminans
Flagg
CUNTS FOR EYES!
Location: Hell. In The Room Right Next to Reagan. He's Fucking Bonzo. No, wait... Bonzo's fucking HIM.

Post by Flagg »

Kamakazie Sith wrote: 2017-09-04 09:55pm Any other job? This is absolutely incorrect. Many jobs have procedures for termination especially in government work but I will agree that police are protected far better than the others.
It's my understanding that Payne hasn't even been suspended (as a cop). Has that changed?

Also, isn't his little tet-a-tet about abusing his other job essentially conspiracy?
-Negan

Shit. Your. Pants!
-Negan

He who can,
-George Bernard Shaw
Gaidin
Sith Devotee

Post by Gaidin »

Flagg wrote: 2017-09-05 10:31am Also, isn't his little tet-a-tet about abusing his other job essentially conspiracy?
As I would understand it, he threatened to. He'd actually have to conspire with the others to do so in order for the conspiracy to take shape. His actions between then and now would have to be taken into account.
Flagg
CUNTS FOR EYES!

Post by Flagg »

Gaidin wrote: 2017-09-05 10:47am
Flagg wrote: 2017-09-05 10:31am Also, isn't his little tet-a-tet about abusing his other job essentially conspiracy?
As I would understand it, he threatened to. He'd actually have to conspire with the others to do so in order for the conspiracy to take shape. His actions between then and now would have to be taken into account.
I was under the impression that he was saying he was going to get all ambulances to only take "transients" to that particular hospital. I may be understanding it wrong.
-Negan

Shit. Your. Pants!
-Negan

He who can,
-George Bernard Shaw
Gaidin
Sith Devotee

Post by Gaidin »

Flagg wrote: 2017-09-05 11:43am I was under the impression that he was saying he was going to get all ambulances to only take "transients" to that particular hospital. I may be understanding it wrong.
Yes. By its very nature a conspiracy charge requires one to prove the involvement of multiple people. If they manage to prove that regarding his threat then they've shown, depending on the nature of Utah conspiracy law(I'll let KS take the helm on this one), that he has contacted others and set up a plan, possibly enacted it. Some states don't require you to enact it, just prove contact and set up of a plan, enactment is all the better. All the videos we have is him threatening to do that.
Kamakazie Sith
Emperor's Hand

Post by Kamakazie Sith »

Flagg wrote: 2017-09-05 10:31am
Kamakazie Sith wrote: 2017-09-04 09:55pm Any other job? This is absolutely incorrect. Many jobs have procedures for termination especially in government work but I will agree that police are protected far better than the others.
It's my understanding that Payne hasn't even been suspended (as a cop). Has that changed?

Also, isn't his little tet-a-tet about abusing his other job essentially conspiracy?
He has been along with the LT that ordered him to arrest the nurse but that happened after the video got out so you know typical weak police upper management. It's pretty disappointing actually.

Payne also works as a EMT and is part of an ambulance crew which is where that "i'm bringing all X people to you guys" came from so basically he means when he is working that job and they encounter some unpleasant person he will bring them to the U. So, no it's not a conspiracy or him announcing his intention to create one but it certainly is him announcing his intention to violate law and probably the policy of his other job.

As for conspiracy you need one or more people and an overt act. So - basically if you, Gaidin and I were sitting in a class room together and we didn't like the teacher so we enacted a plan to kill that teacher at lunch break but then we just went to lunch we would not be guilty of conspiracy. If just one of us went out to our car and obtained a firearm then we would be guilty.
Kamakazie Sith
Emperor's Hand

Post by Kamakazie Sith »

http://kutv.com/news/local/officer-who- ... -paramedic
(KUTV) Gold Cross Ambulance has fired Jeff Payne, the officer who arrested a nurse at the University of Utah.
Payne was a part time paramedic for the Utah ambulance service.The termination was announced in a press release Tuesday from Gold Cross that said in part, "...we take his inappropriate remarks regarding patient transports seriously." The company said it would "continue to maintain our values of outstanding patient focused care, safety, and the complete trust of the communities we serve."
The pain has begun...
Flagg
CUNTS FOR EYES!

Post by Flagg »

Kamakazie Sith wrote: 2017-09-05 12:06pm
Flagg wrote: 2017-09-05 10:31am

He has been along with the LT that ordered him to arrest the nurse but that happened after the video got out so you know typical weak police upper management. It's pretty disappointing actually.

Payne also works as a EMT and is part of an ambulance crew which is where that "i'm bringing all X people to you guys" came from so basically he means when he is working that job and they encounter some unpleasant person he will bring them to the U. So, no it's not a conspiracy or him announcing his intention to create one but it certainly is him announcing his intention to violate law and probably the policy of his other job.

As for conspiracy you need one or more people and an overt act. So - basically if you, Gaidin and I were sitting in a class room together and we didn't like the teacher so we enacted a plan to kill that teacher at lunch break but then we just went to lunch we would not be guilty of conspiracy. If just one of us went out to our car and obtained a firearm then we would be guilty.
Makes sense.
-Negan

Shit. Your. Pants!
-Negan

He who can,
-George Bernard Shaw
TheFeniX
Sith Marauder

Post by TheFeniX »

Kamakazie Sith wrote: 2017-09-05 05:37pm http://kutv.com/news/local/officer-who- ... -paramedic
(KUTV) Gold Cross Ambulance has fired Jeff Payne, the officer who arrested a nurse at the University of Utah.
Payne was a part time paramedic for the Utah ambulance service.The termination was announced in a press release Tuesday from Gold Cross that said in part, "...we take his inappropriate remarks regarding patient transports seriously." The company said it would "continue to maintain our values of outstanding patient focused care, safety, and the complete trust of the communities we serve."
The pain has begun...
Figured it was coming. These companies have to worry about things such as "PR" and "liability." PDs? Not so much.

The whole debacle (for some reason) reminded me of an old incident I read about (in Playboy of all places). And it might be because a guy named Payne was shot by police. He was the fire chief and got into an argument with 7 cops, one of whom decided to shoot him in the back, in the court room.
It was anger over traffic tickets that brought Payne to city hall last week, said his lawyer, Randy Fishman. After Payne failed to get a traffic ticket dismissed on Aug. 27, police gave Payne or his son another ticket that day. Payne, 39, returned to court to vent his anger to Judge Tonya Alexander, Fishman said.

It's unclear exactly what happened next, but Martin said an argument between Payne and the seven police officers who attended the hearing apparently escalated to a scuffle, ending when an officer shot Payne from behind.
All 7 police (in a town of 170) have time to attend court proceedings over one speeding ticket. The whole town was a speedtrap and I have some experience with these kinds of cops (read: automated ticket dispensers) dealing with numerous small towns in my day, so I'm not exactly surprised. Real tough hombres too: 7 on 1 and they still had to bring a gun.
Napoleon the Clown
Jedi Council Member

Kamakazie Sith wrote: 2017-09-04 09:55pm Payne didn't want to. He was sent their by the agency investigating the fatal crash. Blood is typically taken in all fatal accidents.
"Just following orders" is no excuse, and he could have contacted the people who told him to get the blood sample and stated that, without a warrant, he was unable to comply.

Perhaps "any other job" is a mild exaggeration, on the part of how quickly he'd be fired, but I cannot think of any jobs where he wouldn't have received his final paycheck by now after such behavior. Utah state law states that, when terminated, the employer has a specific amount of time (24 hours, if memory serves) to get you your final paycheck. He definitely would be unemployed right now, with no chance at getting unemployment, without the blue wall around.
Flagg
CUNTS FOR EYES!

Post by Flagg »

TheFeniX wrote: 2017-09-05 07:11pm
Kamakazie Sith wrote: 2017-09-05 05:37pm http://kutv.com/news/local/officer-who- ... -paramedic
The pain has begun...
Figured it was coming. These companies have to worry about things such as "PR" and "liability." PDs? Not so much.

The whole debacle (for some reason) reminded me of an old incident I read about (in Playboy of all places). And it might be because a guy named Payne was shot by police. He was the fire chief and got into an argument with 7 cops, one of whom decided to shoot him in the back, in the court room.
It was anger over traffic tickets that brought Payne to city hall last week, said his lawyer, Randy Fishman. After Payne failed to get a traffic ticket dismissed on Aug. 27, police gave Payne or his son another ticket that day. Payne, 39, returned to court to vent his anger to Judge Tonya Alexander, Fishman said.

It's unclear exactly what happened next, but Martin said an argument between Payne and the seven police officers who attended the hearing apparently escalated to a scuffle, ending when an officer shot Payne from behind.
All 7 police (in a town of 170) have time to attend court proceedings over one speeding ticket. The whole town was a speedtrap and I have some experience with these kinds of cops (read: automated ticket dispensers) dealing with numerous small towns in my day, so I'm not exactly surprised. Real tough hombres too: 7 on 1 and they still had to bring a gun.
I had gotten knocked down a flight of stairs in middle school when I lived in MA for 6 months. Turns out the kid that did it was part of a family that had a member or members in just about every public institution in the town. So when my mom stated she was reporting to the police in a meeting with me and all my teachers (who couldn't care less that I had a concussion) they tried to act like there was mutual blame (apparently saying "Dude, please me alone I'm reading" is just as bad as shoving someone down stairs) and that we shouldn't.

So we got in the car and suddenly a town police cruiser blocked us in and told my mom that she didn't want to press charges. Then for a solid month we were followed by the local police almost every day until we would drive past the town border.
-Negan

Shit. Your. Pants!
-Negan

He who can,
-George Bernard Shaw
Kamakazie Sith
Emperor's Hand

Post by Kamakazie Sith »

Napoleon the Clown wrote: 2017-09-05 09:41pm
Kamakazie Sith wrote: 2017-09-04 09:55pm Payne didn't want to. He was sent their by the agency investigating the fatal crash. Blood is typically taken in all fatal accidents.
"Just following orders" is no excuse, and he could have contacted the people who told him to get the blood sample and stated that, without a warrant, he was unable to comply.
Nobody said it was an excuse, Napoloen. Your description of events was inaccurate - you described it as Payne deciding to go up to the hospital to get blood to help protect UHP. Two things wrong with this; 1) Payne didn't decide anything he was told to go up there and collect evidence for another agency. 2) Blood draw are typically taken on all fatal accidents.

These two corrections in no way absolve Payne of wrong doing or imply that he did nothing wrong.
Perhaps "any other job" is a mild exaggeration, on the part of how quickly he'd be fired, but I cannot think of any jobs where he wouldn't have received his final paycheck by now after such behavior. Utah state law states that, when terminated, the employer has a specific amount of time (24 hours, if memory serves) to get you your final paycheck. He definitely would be unemployed right now, with no chance at getting unemployment, without the blue wall around.
And what does SLC policy say for its employees?
mr friendly guy
The Doctor
Location: In a 1960s police telephone box somewhere in Australia

Post by mr friendly guy »

link
Video shows a police officer taking cash from a hot dog vendor’s wallet while issuing a citation

Martin Flores, back at his alma mater on Saturday for a University of California at Berkeley football game, walked up to a kiosk to buy four hot dogs for himself and his kids.

But as he watched a campus police officer take the food vendor’s wallet and remove $60 in cash, Flores whipped out his phone and hit “record.”

“That’s not right, man,” Flores, 44, can be heard saying in the video. “That’s not right.”

University officials said the officer was following instructions to crack down on illegal vending at campus event venues. They said that as the school took on Weber State, the officer approached the hot dog kiosk to cite its operator for vending without a license.

Flores said that as the vendor sifted through his wallet for an ID, the officer grabbed the wallet from his hands. In Flores’s video, the vendor looks shaken and confused as the officer pulls bills out of the wallet and folds them into his hands.

“You’re gonna take his hard-earned money?” Flores asked the officer, clearly exasperated. “People can drink on campus at football games and no tickets, but a hard-working man selling hot dogs earning a living gets his money taken away and a ticket.”

In an interview with The Washington Post, Flores said he found the officer’s aggression “excessive and unnecessary.” Moreover, he felt the officer was singling out one particular vendor — an immigrant and Latino — all while seemingly unfazed by people illegally drinking on campus grounds or jaywalking.

In a statement released Monday, Vice Chancellor Scott Biddy said campus officers had been instructed to monitor illegal vending, an action motivated by public health concerns, the interests of small businesses and even human trafficking. Biddy wrote that it is typical for officers to collect suspected illegal funds so they can be entered into evidence, though the statement did not comment on this particular case.

The money seized was booked into evidence. Biddy’s statement said campus police detained three other individuals for vending without a license near Saturday’s football game. Each was released with a warning.

Biddy asked the university police department to open an investigation and the officer is still in his position, he wrote.

“I assure you that the well-being of our community members, including those from our marginalized communities of color, is most important to us, and that we are deeply committed to building a climate of tolerance, inclusion and diversity, even as we enforce laws and policy,” the statement read.

Footage from Flores’s video includes the officer saying the vendor didn’t have a permit and that “this is law and order in action.”

“I just thought that it was selective enforcement,” Flores told the Post. “Selective enforcement on an immigrant, on a hard-working street vendor trying to make a living.”

In a segment of the video, Flores pans to the vendor and talks with him in Spanish.

“My name is Juan,” the man says. “They gave me a ticket because they said I couldn’t sell here.”

Flores lives in Los Angeles and describes himself as a gang expert witness.

Berkeley’s campus newspaper, the Daily Californian, identified the officer but university officials have not released the name or confirmed it.

A petition to remove the officer was circulated on Saturday by a Berkeley student and has since garnered more than 25,000 signatures. The petition alleges the officer has repeatedly targeted minorities on campus.

Flores originally had no way of contacting the vendor after he left the football game. But as his footage went viral, Flores hoped someone would recognize the vendor and put the two back in touch.

Over the weekend, as Flores was in communication with the Spanish news company Telemundo, he learned that Telemundo had located the vendor and arranged for an interview for both of them at the vendor’s home.

By early Tuesday morning, a GoFundMe account set up by Flores had raised more than $51,000 to cover legal and personal losses for the vendor. The fund’s original goal was to raise $10,000 — enough to buy the vendor a push cart and “put some change in his pocket,” Flores said. Now Flores thinks the money may be enough to fulfill the vendor’s long-term dream of owning a food truck.

Flores said the GoFundMe will likely remain open for two more weeks, at which point he plans to use a chunk of the money to hold an event supporting street vendors and connecting them with community resources.

Flores said he would personally make sure that the vendor got his proper permits, and that a future food truck was set up legitimately.
Jesus Christ. Fine the guy and escort him from campus for selling hot dogs without a licence. Why the fuck do you even need to take his money? Even if its for evidence can't you photograph it. And if police are allowed to do this, what's to stop them from stealing from citizens who commit minor misdemeanours for "evidence" purposes.

The gofund me page has reached $$82 000.

The office appears to be Sean Aranas and a petition is going around to have him removed from duty.
Never apologise for being a geek, because they won't apologise to you for being an arsehole. John Barrowman - 22 June 2014 Perth Supernova.

Countries I have been to - 14.
Australia, Canada, China, Colombia, Denmark, Ecuador, Finland, Germany, Malaysia, Netherlands, Norway, Singapore, Sweden, USA.
Always on the lookout for more nice places to visit.
TheFeniX
Sith Marauder

Post by TheFeniX »

That "grab your wallet out of your hand" bullshit is pretty much the mark of an asshole and shitty cop either way.
Ralin
Sith Marauder

Post by Ralin »

Wasn't this how they showed that one cop Batman terrorized for information in Batman Begins was a super corrupt asshole?
Flagg
CUNTS FOR EYES!

Post by Flagg »

Ralin wrote: 2017-09-15 10:21am Wasn't this how they showed that one cop Batman terrorized for information in Batman Begins was a super corrupt asshole?
Yup.

Fatty Corrupt Piggy: It's everything I know! I swear to god!

The Batman: SWEAR TO ME!!!
-Negan

Shit. Your. Pants!
-Negan

He who can,
-George Bernard Shaw
Napoleon the Clown
Jedi Council Member

mr friendly guy wrote: 2017-09-15 09:49amAnd if police are allowed to do this, what's to stop them from stealing from citizens who commit minor misdemeanours for "evidence" purposes.
Oh, you don't even have to be committing any crimes for them to commit legally-sanctioned armed robbery. Just having a large amount of cash is considered sufficient for them to take it away from you under "suspicion" that it was acquired illegally. There's no requirement that they even attempt to charge you, either. "I think you got this money selling drugs, so I'm seizing it." And there are zero consequences if you do sue them to get it back. You just get back exactly what they stole. If you're lucky. No attorney's fees included in the settlement.

Never, ever consent to a search. Even if you think there's nothing to hide. Tell them no, you do not consent to the search if they ask. All a cop can legally do is frisk you for weapons. And it's probably best to always have a lawyer in your cell phone contacts.

Hell, there are apps that you can use to upload the entirety on an interaction with the police to cloud storage. It's probably best you do that whenever a cop does more than say hello to you.
Kamakazie Sith
Emperor's Hand

Post by Kamakazie Sith »

Ralin wrote: 2017-09-15 10:21am Wasn't this how they showed that one cop Batman terrorized for information in Batman Begins was a super corrupt asshole?
There are some important differences.

In the Batman movie there was no indication that the hot dog stand was illegal. The money was not seized as evidence but as payment to the officer.

In the Berkley case the officer seized the money as evidence because the hot dog stand is illegal. That being said removing the mans wallet then seizing the money inside should require a warrant.
Napoleon the Clown wrote: 2017-09-15 01:18pm Never, ever consent to a search. Even if you think there's nothing to hide. Tell them no, you do not consent to the search if they ask. All a cop can legally do is frisk you for weapons. And it's probably best to always have a lawyer in your cell phone contacts.
Actually a terry frisk requires reasonable suspicion that you are armed and dangerous.
Dominus Atheos
Sith Marauder

Post by Dominus Atheos »

Teen sends dick pic to 22-year-old woman, now he’s a child pornographer

Washington Supreme Court: Child porn laws apply even if perp, victim are the same.

The Washington Supreme Court has upheld the conviction under state child porn laws of a 17-year-old boy who sent a picture of his own erect penis to a 22-year-old woman. The case illustrates a bizarre situation in which Eric Gray is both the perpetrator and the victim of the crime. Under state law, Gray could face up to 10 years in prison for the conviction.

On appeal, Gray's attorneys had argued that the language of the law was ambiguous—lawmakers did not anticipate a situation like this—and that the law was potentially in violation of the state and the federal constitutions. The court, in a 7-1 ruling, disagreed.
https://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/201 ... nographer/
TheFeniX
Sith Marauder

Post by TheFeniX »

Ignoring the idea of a bunch of old fucks in robes essentially just being the worst kind of people, the idea tax payers would have to float the cost of imprisoning a person for 10 years over a dic pic is just.... well, as American as apple fucking pie I guess.