The Orville

SF: discuss futuristic sci-fi series, ideas, and crossovers.

Moderator: NecronLord

Rogue 9
Scrapping TIEs since 1997

The Orville

Post by Rogue 9 »

I'm kind of surprised we don't have a thread on this already. Seth MacFarland is writing and starring in a live-action sci-fi drama/comedy called The Orville, which is a clear take on Star Trek with an hour long format and suspiciously familiar ship design aesthetics. It premieres on Fox (and will therefore probably meet the fate of Firefly) on Sunday. They've been playing their cards fairly close to the chest re: plot and scenes, but there are two trailers.

For what it's worth, MacFarland says he's trying to capture the old style aspirational sci-fi of early Trek, and that basically all the jokes in the first episode are in the trailers. I'm hopeful that this might actually be good.
It's Rogue, not Rouge!

HAB | KotL | VRWC/ELC/CDA | TRotR | The Anti-Confederate | Sluggite | Gamer | Blogger | Staff Reporter | Student | Musician
JLTucker
BANNED

Re: The Orville

Post by JLTucker »

Dude, it will be canceled within six months. It looks like utter shit and I don't think Fox's market would like it.
Rogue 9

Post by Rogue 9 »

Yeah, it probably will be canceled after one season. That's what Fox does to sci-fi. But I disagree on it looking like utter shit; they've clearly put a lot of work into the exterior space shots (that's practical model work we're looking at) and visually speaking we've seen Star Trek look a lot worse all around. I'll give the premiere a shot, just because we get new original science fiction so rarely that it's worth paying attention to.
It's Rogue, not Rouge!

HAB | KotL | VRWC/ELC/CDA | TRotR | The Anti-Confederate | Sluggite | Gamer | Blogger | Staff Reporter | Student | Musician
bilateralrope
Sith Acolyte

Post by bilateralrope »

Rogue 9 wrote: 2017-09-06 10:15pmFor what it's worth, MacFarland says he's trying to capture the old style aspirational sci-fi of early Trek, and that basically all the jokes in the first episode are in the trailers. I'm hopeful that this might actually be good.
Yet he went with a ships captain who couldn't tell a mint from a marble.

Still, I'll give this a shot.
Zor
Sith Acolyte

Post by Zor »

The Uniforms look better than any trek series uniforms save Enterprise.

Zor
HAIL ZOR! WE'LL BLOW UP THE OCEAN!
Heros of Cybertron-HAB-Keeper of the Vicious pit of Allosauruses-King Leighton-I, United Kingdom of Zoria: SD.net World/Tsar Mikhail-I of the Red Tsardom: SD.net Kingdoms
WHEN ALL HELL BREAKS LOOSE ON EARTH, ALL EARTH BREAKS LOOSE ON HELL
http://zortropolis.myminicity.com/
http://zortropolis.myminicity.com/ind
http://zortropolis.myminicity.com/tra
Terran Sphere
The Art of Zor
Rogue 9

Post by Rogue 9 »

bilateralrope wrote: 2017-09-07 12:38am
Rogue 9 wrote: 2017-09-06 10:15pmFor what it's worth, MacFarland says he's trying to capture the old style aspirational sci-fi of early Trek, and that basically all the jokes in the first episode are in the trailers. I'm hopeful that this might actually be good.
Yet he went with a ships captain who couldn't tell a mint from a marble.

Still, I'll give this a shot.
Well, it is supposed to be a middle of the road ship with a less than top flight crew. :P They should have an episode where they run into their analogue to the Enterprise at some point. And get Tim Allen to play the captain. :mrgreen:
It's Rogue, not Rouge!

bilateralrope
Sith Acolyte

Post by bilateralrope »

I suppose that being unable to tell mints from marbles isn't as bad as being unable to identify shit even with a tricorder.
Rogue 9

Post by Rogue 9 »

He was told as he was putting it into his mouth by all appearances. I'm sure the taste gave it away just as surely as the admiral's commentary. :P
It's Rogue, not Rouge!

Gandalf
SD.net White Wizard

Post by Gandalf »

Rogue 9 wrote: 2017-09-06 10:38pm Yeah, it probably will be canceled after one season. That's what Fox does to sci-fi.
No, that's what they do to low rating shows. :P
"Oh no, oh yeah, tell me how can it be so fair
That we dying younger hiding from the police man over there
Just for breathing in the air they wanna leave me in the chair
Electric shocking body rocking beat streeting me to death"

- A.B. Original, Report to the Mist

"I think it’s the duty of the comedian to find out where the line is drawn and cross it deliberately."
- George Carlin
Crazedwraith
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crazedwraith »

Gandalf wrote: 2017-09-07 10:14pm
Rogue 9 wrote: 2017-09-06 10:38pm Yeah, it probably will be canceled after one season. That's what Fox does to sci-fi.
They do have a habit of fucking with sci-fi shows enough to kill their ratings anyway. (I'm thinking T:SCC as much as Firefly.)
Rogue 9

Post by Rogue 9 »

Crazedwraith wrote: 2017-09-08 04:54am
They do have a habit of fucking with sci-fi shows enough to kill their ratings anyway. (I'm thinking T:SCC as much as Firefly.)
And this is on right after Sunday night football. If there's anything I remember about Deep Space Nine being on after football back in the day, it's that if the game goes to overtime, whatever's after it is fucked.
It's Rogue, not Rouge!

Gandalf
SD.net White Wizard

Post by Gandalf »

Yeah, they do that with a lot of shows. Sci-fi isn't special in this regard.
"Oh no, oh yeah, tell me how can it be so fair
That we dying younger hiding from the police man over there
Just for breathing in the air they wanna leave me in the chair
Electric shocking body rocking beat streeting me to death"

- A.B. Original, Report to the Mist

"I think it’s the duty of the comedian to find out where the line is drawn and cross it deliberately."
- George Carlin
bilateralrope
Sith Acolyte

Post by bilateralrope »

Rogue 9 wrote: 2017-09-08 10:43am

And this is on right after Sunday night football. If there's anything I remember about Deep Space Nine being on after football back in the day, it's that if the game goes to overtime, whatever's after it is fucked.
That might have changed now we have streaming websites for our TV watching.

Or has Fox decided that The Orville isn't going to be on any streaming websites ?
Rogue 9

Post by Rogue 9 »

bilateralrope wrote: 2017-09-08 01:55pm
Rogue 9 wrote: 2017-09-08 10:43am

That might have changed now we have streaming websites for our TV watching.

Or has Fox decided that The Orville isn't going to be on any streaming websites ?

Their YouTube promos have a postscreen that links to their streaming service, so I'm going to go ahead and say no. :wink:
It's Rogue, not Rouge!

Batman
Emperor's Hand
Location: Seriously thinking about moving to Marvel because so much of the DCEU stinks

Post by Batman »

Trailers are nothing much to go on, but AS trailers go, this looks interesting. I'm willing to give this a chance.
'Next time I let Superman take charge, just hit me. Real hard.'
'You're a princess from a society of immortal warriors. I'm a rich kid with issues. Lots of issues.'
'No. No dating for the Batman. It might cut into your brooding time.'
'Tactically we have multiple objectives. So we need to split into teams.'-'Dibs on the Amazon!'
'Hey, we both have a Martian's phone number on our speed dial. I think I deserve the benefit of the doubt.'
'You know, for a guy with like 50 different kinds of vision, you sure are blind.'
Rogue 9

Post by Rogue 9 »

I didn't make it back home in time to catch the beginning, but I saw the last two thirds. It seems alright, certainly better than a lot of Star Trek has been.
It's Rogue, not Rouge!

LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

It had its moments. Nice use of the Picard Maneuver on the Captain's tunic. Multiple Times.

It tried hard to be parody, but I think it missed the target this time. However, they did get the husband/wife working well. Nice chemistry there, for two people trying hard to blow up what's left of their relationship.
Nitram, slightly high on cough syrup: Do you know you're beautiful?
Me: Nope, that's why I have you around to tell me.
Nitram: You -are- beautiful. Anyone tries to tell you otherwise kill them.

"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP" -- Leonard Nimoy, last Tweet
Rogue 9

Post by Rogue 9 »

Also: "Happy Arbor Day." I about fell out of my chair laughing. :lol:
It's Rogue, not Rouge!

Meest
Jedi Master

Post by Meest »

When I first saw the thread title all I could think of is adding, "is bad." It's not funny enough to be satire or parody, and not serious enough to be a real drama, just in a crappy middleground.
"Somehow I feel, that in the long run, Thanos of Titan came out ahead in this particular deal."
FedRebel
Jedi Master

Post by FedRebel »

It's not supposed to be a 'parody'

MacFarlane is a TNG fan NERD, this is more of a straight remake of TNG.

Don't go into it thinking Spaceballs, The Orville is to TNG what 2009 was to TOS

Fox is overselling the comedy, because that's what MacFarlane is known for
houser2112
Padawan Learner

Post by houser2112 »

Meest wrote: 2017-09-11 01:23am When I first saw the thread title all I could think of is adding, "is bad." It's not funny enough to be satire or parody, and not serious enough to be a real drama, just in a crappy middleground.
I wouldn't go so far as to say it's bad, but I agree with your second sentence. I'd prefer that they err on the side of parody. We already have Star Trek, we don't need Star Trek with the serial numbers filed off.
Alferd Packer
Sith Marauder

Post by Alferd Packer »

I'd prefer it to be a straight sci-fi show, since there really isn't anything like it on TV right now, and there's no way in hell I'm going to paying an extra 10 bucks a month for the privilege of watching Discovery. It's clear that Seth is a massive Trek nerd, and I'd trust him above most to do a proper pastiche.
"There is a principle which is a bar against all information, which is proof against all arguments and which cannot fail to keep a man in everlasting ignorance--that principle is contempt prior to investigation." -Herbert Spencer

"Against stupidity the gods themselves contend in vain." - Schiller, Die Jungfrau von Orleans, III vi.
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

There's definitely a difference between a pastiche, a remake, and a parody in a case like this.

Galaxy Quest is a Star Trek parody. Zapp Brannigan is a Star Trek parody. In both cases, there is a clear if distorted resemblance to Star Trek, but the similar elements are exaggerated or distorted until they become a farce that no serious person would say is Star Trek. Which is kind of the point, because parodies are all about not being serious.

I haven't watched this show, but from what people are saying it doesn't sound like a parody on that level.
This space dedicated to Vasily Arkhipov
houser2112
Padawan Learner

Post by houser2112 »

It's not a parody because it doesn't try to poke fun at anything. To me, it's a series that is as close to Star Trek as it can get without inviting a lawsuit.
FireNexus
Cookie

Post by FireNexus »

It's an homage, in my opinion. It's like Star Trek if Star Trek didn't drink the Star Trek kool aid.

I think it was a little uneven but shows promise. It's more likely to crash and burn than rise to the occasion, but it could go either way.
I had a Bill Maher quote here. But fuck him for his white privelegy "joke".

All the rest? Too long.