Should I try out Star Trek Online?

GEC: Discuss gaming, computers and electronics and venture into the bizarre world of STGODs.

Moderator: Thanas

mr friendly guy
The Doctor
Location: In a 1960s police telephone box somewhere in Australia

Re: Should I try out Star Trek Online?

Post by mr friendly guy »

Now I remember why my primary toon avoided the Defera invasion zone. This time I did better with my second toon armed with mark 14 kit modules such as Iconian solar flares, sompek lightning and a few other goodies the Borg can't adapt to. But Jesus, the amount of effort for so little Omega marks makes it not worth the while aside from just saying that you've completed various quests there.
Never apologise for being a geek, because they won't apologise to you for being an arsehole. John Barrowman - 22 June 2014 Perth Supernova.

Countries I have been to - 14.
Australia, Canada, China, Colombia, Denmark, Ecuador, Finland, Germany, Malaysia, Netherlands, Norway, Singapore, Sweden, USA.
Always on the lookout for more nice places to visit.
EnterpriseSovereign
Sith Marauder

Post by EnterpriseSovereign »

I'm buying a few Risian kit modules for toons that lack any real high-end stuff. I need to check the forums to see if they're any good. At 1,000 Lolwut vouchers it's not as though I can kit out all of them, and the skill manuals aren't exactly a steal either! :lol:
Lord Revan
Emperor's Hand

Post by Lord Revan »

The Grav spike is one of the best tac modules that exist IIRC but the others are quite meh, I don't think any of them is utter shit but most of them just aren't really worth using. Though the price for them isn't that bad you can get that in few hours if you want to.
I may be an idiot, but I'm a tolerated idiot
"I think you completely missed the point of sigs. They're supposed to be completely homegrown in the fertile hydroponics lab of your mind, dried in your closet, rolled, and smoked...
Oh wait, that's marijuana..."Einhander Sn0m4n
FaxModem1
Emperor's Hand

Post by FaxModem1 »

"Oh god, we killed Martok in our backstory so we could have war between the Federation and the Klingons, but now we want him back. How do we do it?"

"I know, we'll say that he's been in a coma all this time, being brainwashed."

Tale of the Witch
EnterpriseSovereign
Sith Marauder

Wait, what happened to the board? The user avatars have switched sides on their own.
mr friendly guy
The Doctor

Cardassian computer virus. Duh.
Never apologise for being a geek, because they won't apologise to you for being an arsehole. John Barrowman - 22 June 2014 Perth Supernova.

Australia, Canada, China, Colombia, Denmark, Ecuador, Finland, Germany, Malaysia, Netherlands, Norway, Singapore, Sweden, USA.
EnterpriseSovereign
Sith Marauder

FaxModem1 wrote: 2017-07-07 07:40pm "Oh god, we killed Martok in our backstory so we could have war between the Federation and the Klingons, but now we want him back. How do we do it?"

Tale of the Witch
It must have been a footnote as I don't recall hearing about that- the treachery involved has all the hallmarks of the House of Duras or one of its allies.
EnterpriseSovereign
Sith Marauder

This weekend is a double whammy- an upgrade weekend combined with the return of the Phoenix prize pack. Especially as most of my toons have >900k refined dil, this means I'll be buying not only a whole load of packs, but the exchange rate will nosedive and I'll be able to buy Zen by the fuckload! I've spent the intervening months saving since the last pack came around so I'm as prepared as I'm ever going to be :mrgreen:
Lord Revan
Emperor's Hand

Post by Lord Revan »

EnterpriseSovereign wrote: 2017-07-09 10:01am
FaxModem1 wrote: 2017-07-07 07:40pm "Oh god, we killed Martok in our backstory so we could have war between the Federation and the Klingons, but now we want him back. How do we do it?"

Tale of the Witch
It must have been a footnote as I don't recall hearing about that- the treachery involved has all the hallmarks of the House of Duras or one of its allies.
It's House Torg who is responsible for Martok's kidnapping (if Cryptic doesn't want to keep that a spoiler I won't either) and in STO House Duras is dead for all intents and purposes, with the only person who has any claim to the leadership of House Duras wanting to people to forget that there ever was such a thing as "House Duras"

House Torg is bit of discount House Duras, with only reasons they weren't punished until the Klingon intro was their position in the High Council.

Anyone here know how long the Phoenix pack is avaible?
"I think you completely missed the point of sigs. They're supposed to be completely homegrown in the fertile hydroponics lab of your mind, dried in your closet, rolled, and smoked...
Elheru Aran
Emperor's Hand

Post by Elheru Aran »

Not much to say as I haven't played the game in a looooong time, but I still get updates for it via Facebook.

The latest is that they're bringing in Levar Burton as, of course, La Forge, for the new season.
It's a strange world. Let's keep it that way.
EnterpriseSovereign
Sith Marauder

Lord Revan wrote: 2017-08-03 06:44pmAnyone here know how long the Phoenix pack is available?
According to the website, it'll be around a week. Demand will be highest over the weekend to take advantage of the upgrade event, anyone who gets the packs is going to do so this weekend. I'm hoping for the exchange price to drop before cashing in. This is what I've been saving for :mrgreen:
EnterpriseSovereign
Sith Marauder

Well I loaded up on Phoenix packs, this time they have an option of buying 10 lots of 10 (though no cheaper), so you can buy 100 at a time. I spent half my dil on 100 packs per character and most of the other half on trading for Zen. Sadly the D:Z exchange rate didn't drop as much as it did before like I was hoping but I still got 20,000 Zen out of it.

Also used the upgrade weekend to get a whole bunch of gear up to epic level across all my toons, I hope I notice the difference in battle! :twisted: For the first time I also upgraded a lot of my ground gear as I've largely neglected it. Wasn't able to apply all the phoenix packs in time for the upgrade weekend though... so I'll save them for next time around 8)
mr friendly guy
The Doctor

Well the age old question, Gravity well vs Tyken's rift has finally been answered by my Romulan toon. Its Tyken's rift if you combine it with the competitive deteriorating secondary deflector and use the timeline collapse for the superior suction effect. Its exotic damage for my TR is superior to GW, then add in drain infection and the extra damage from the secondary deflector of like 6000 + damage a second. Moreover most ships aren't going to have engines setting of more than 60, and in 2 seconds my science ship can drain them dry and leave them hanging dead in space.

I am now waiting for a lobi sale so I can also get a Paradox temporal dreadnought for my Romulan toon. The exploding spatial anomalies power would be real sweet for her, especially since her science ship utilises 5 spatial anomalies (Chrometric inversion, timeline collapse, Tyken's rift, subspace vortex and anti time entanglement), with the first 3 being triggered by the exploding anomalies power.

EnterpriseSovereign
Sith Marauder

mr friendly guy wrote: 2017-08-20 03:12am Well the age old question, Gravity well vs Tyken's rift has finally been answered by my Romulan toon. Its Tyken's rift if you combine it with the competitive deteriorating secondary deflector and use the timeline collapse for the superior suction effect. Its exotic damage for my TR is superior to GW, then add in drain infection and the extra damage from the secondary deflector of like 6000 + damage a second. Moreover most ships aren't going to have engines setting of more than 60, and in 2 seconds my science ship can drain them dry and leave them hanging dead in space.

I am now waiting for a lobi sale so I can also get a Paradox temporal dreadnought for my Romulan toon. The exploding spatial anomalies power would be real sweet for her, especially since her science ship utilises 5 spatial anomalies (Chrometric inversion, timeline collapse, Tyken's rift, subspace vortex and anti time entanglement), with the first 3 being triggered by the exploding anomalies power.
Do you have the ships bearing the other consoles in the set? One is a Lobi ship, the other is lockbox-only.
mr friendly guy
The Doctor

My primary toon does, but with the paradox temporal dreadnought I am not interested in the consoles for my second toon, only its ship trait.

EnterpriseSovereign
Sith Marauder

I took advantage of the sales this week, picking up both the T6 Explorer and Intrepid bundles for 30% off instead of the normal 20%. Then this weekend I nabbed the Legacy of Romulus pack for half price- the last time prices were that low was during Black Friday last year. Also about some much-needed account bank slots so I could move shared materials there and free up space for individual toons.
Lord Revan
Emperor's Hand

Post by Lord Revan »

I really should grab the account bank slots at some point so I can share stuff between my chars, at the moment if it cannot be mail it's stuck to that character.

Not mention that due to my minor hording (in RPGs/MMOs not real life) my character banks tend to be full.
EnterpriseSovereign
Sith Marauder

Lord Revan wrote: 2017-09-04 12:36am I really should grab the account bank slots at some point so I can share stuff between my chars, at the moment if it cannot be mail it's stuck to that character.

Not mention that due to my minor hording (in RPGs/MMOs not real life) my character banks tend to be full.
Mine are similarly packed, a sizable chunk of space in my character's individual banks is taken up by consoles that can't be placed anywhere else. And even discounted it's insane to attempt to expand storage of each individual, what with having 10 toons and all. If there was an option of expanding storage of all characters on an account, that would be a different matter.
FaxModem1
Emperor's Hand

Post by FaxModem1 »

The latest current endeavor on Nukara is impossible. You're supposed to kill a Tholian Captain on Nukara, but since captains are only found in queue events, it is not possible.
Lord Revan
Emperor's Hand

Post by Lord Revan »

FaxModem1 wrote: 2017-09-06 12:00am The latest current endeavor on Nukara is impossible. You're supposed to kill a Tholian Captain on Nukara, but since captains are only found in queue events, it is not possible.
I'm guessing there had to be at least 1 endeavor that was impossible due to a bug, hopefully that's fixed before that specific endeavor comes up next time.
Elheru Aran
Emperor's Hand

Post by Elheru Aran »

I've been seeing a lot of posts about bug-fixes on the STO FB page. I suspect that with introducing STO for console, they haven't had the time to stay on top of PC stuff.
It's a strange world. Let's keep it that way.
houser2112
Padawan Learner

Post by houser2112 »

Elheru Aran wrote: 2017-09-06 01:24pm I've been seeing a lot of posts about bug-fixes on the STO FB page. I suspect that with introducing STO for console, they haven't had the time to stay on top of PC stuff.
PC usually gets everything a few weeks before the consoles, so I'm not sure where you're coming from there.
Lord Revan
Emperor's Hand

Post by Lord Revan »

houser2112 wrote: 2017-09-06 02:27pm
Elheru Aran wrote: 2017-09-06 01:24pm I've been seeing a lot of posts about bug-fixes on the STO FB page. I suspect that with introducing STO for console, they haven't had the time to stay on top of PC stuff.
PC usually gets everything a few weeks before the consoles, so I'm not sure where you're coming from there.
Tbh 9 times out of 10 it seems like it's uninformed people complaining about why a bug isn't fixed at right this nanosecond, while not providing any useful info on the bug that might make it easier to fix, at least in the official forums (I don't use Facebook).
EnterpriseSovereign
Sith Marauder

I was under the impression that there were greater rewards for completing a set number of endeavours but that hasn't happened. Generally though, the endeavour system by itself doesn't offer awesome enough rewards to justify visiting areas of the game I normally avoid.
mr friendly guy
The Doctor

Some endeavours are easy enough to do without needing to visit areas I don't normally go to. Like kill x number of ships can be done by visiting the Borg red alert and Tholian red alert queues. I did those while building up my second toon.