Worst Star Trek Movie?

PST: discuss Star Trek without "versus" arguments.

Moderator: Vympel

Q99
Jedi Council Member

Worst Star Trek Movie?

Post by Q99 »

What in your view is the worst Star Trek movie?

In another thread STV came up and a poster referred to it as the Worst Trek Movie EVER (tm) ... but that got me thinking. Yes, Star Trek V is bad, no doubt, but it's kind of fun-bad, and has a few good scenes and lines (Row Row Row your boat, and 'What does God need with a Starship?") I find Star Trek Insurrection far less interesting. It's bad too, but more weak-bad rather than funny-bad.

And Nemesis sounded like it had so much stuff I'd dislike that I never got around to watching it (that and it came after Insurrection, so).

So which Trek movie in your view is the worst?
Iroscato
Jedi Council Member

Re: Worst Star Trek Movie?

Post by Iroscato »

Gotta be Nemesis for me, a couple of not-terrible action scenes are in no way able to make up for the defilement of the franchise on display. If we're talking nuTrek, Into Darkness is on reflection an absolute shitshow, despite my enjoying it on a very superficial level upon first viewing.
Yeah, I've always taken the subtext of the Birther movement to be, "The rules don't count here! This is different! HE'S BLACK! BLACK, I SAY! ARE YOU ALL BLIND!?

- Raw Shark

Destiny and fate are for those too weak to forge their own futures. Where we are 'supposed' to be is irrelevent.

- SirNitram (RIP)
Eternal_Freedom
Castellan

Post by Eternal_Freedom »

STV is a bad film, but its bad enough and different enough that I don't count it as a ST film - when I actually watched it, it felt like either an ST parody film or a high-budget fan film.

For the rest, Insurrection is dull, absurd from a moral standpoint, and cliched. Nemesis was just...urgh. Even the big exciting space battle scene was kinda what the hell.

So yes, I'd say it's a toss up between Insurrection and Nemesis.
Baltar: "I don't want to miss a moment of the last Battlestar's destruction!"
Centurion: "Sir, I really think you should look at the other Battlestar."
Baltar: "What are you babbling about other...it's impossible!"
Centurion: "No. It is a Battlestar."

Corrax Entry 7:17: So you walk eternally through the shadow realms, standing against evil where all others falter. May your thirst for retribution never quench, may the blood on your sword never dry, and may we never need you again.
Joun_Lord
Jedi Master

Post by Joun_Lord »

I gotta echo Eternal Freedom, its a tossed salad up between Insurrection and Nemesis.

Insurrection is terribly written, insulting, and feels like some episode (some bad episode) idea they stretched into a movie. The plot was just soooooooo stupid, set during the Dominion War and they focus on these space elves squatting on some planet. Perfect white space elves that despite embracing nature and being against technology (except the wheel or an irrigation system) are perfectly clean and did I mention white? I'm not one to harp on racial diversity in movies but when your supposed paradise completely lacks any racial diversity I think you have a problem.

Anyway, the village of White Lives Matters despite hating tech used to be even more advanced then the Federation, can repair the unique positronic brain in Data's head, but gave it all up when they found the magic garden of eden planet. They apparently don't want anyone else on the entire damn planet because they kick their own kids off during some rebellion that made no sense and don't want the Federation setting up shop anywhere else on the ENTIRE GODDAMN PLANET. Picard, who jerks off to the Prime Directive and is willing to let millions and billions die through non-interference, decided to go rogue to save the Keebler elves.

The amount of coke snorted to get that movie greenlit must have sent some Columbian drug lord's kids to college in solid gold Hummers.

Nemesis on the other hand wasn't insultingly bad, I don't feel the need to slap someone after hearing its name, but was very dull and full of missed opportunities. Set in a Federation after the Dominion War, the final hurrah of the Ent-D/E crew, explores the previously little explored Romulans, has Picard's younger clone raised by the Romulans, has the entire TNG cast, has Ron Perlman, has pre-fame Tom Hardy, and even had Kate Mulgrew to maybe throw a bone to Yoyager fans. What do we get? A at best pedestrian story that fails to take advantage of anything it has. We see nothing of the Federation, the crew doesn't do anything interesting except ride dune buggies, the Romulans are killed off and we get to focus on space Orcs, Picard's clone is cartoonishyly evil and incredibly stupid, the cast is certainly showing their age except Patrick Stewart who I'm starting to think might be part of the same immortal Illuminati as Keanu Reeves, Ron Perlman is unrecognizable, Tom Hardy sits around doing jack all, and Janeway has a bit cameo that doesn't tell us what happened to Voyager, did they all die because of Neelix's left over cooking?

The Picard clone in particular was a massive wasted opportunity. The series is supposed to be about humanity evolving beyond its worst aspects, of peace and understanding. Now here's a kid who was raised to be a weapon (a very bad weapon considering trying to replace someone with a clone half their age seems stupid but thats the Romulans for you) and when that doesn't work they put him to work in a mine to be raised as a slave by slaves. It could make him cruel but also caring. He works his way up, from failed experiment to slave to head of the slaves to finally freeing them. He overcomes what he was born to be. Whats he do then? Kills off the Romulan senate so he can rule them, the people who created him apparently for a laugh and then made him a slave, the people that worked his adopted people to death for who knows how long. But decides to attack the Federation for some reason but really takes his time about it. Not like there was a time limit or something, oh wait there was, Mad Picard was dying because of some clone blood disease that required him to get Picard's blood.

Think of what they could have done with him? Show the darker aspects of Picard, show humanities flaws, show Shinzon overcoming them maybe, show some of that peace and understanding the Federation is so famous for, hell make Shinzon have a turn of heart and you can have a idea for a later series if Nemesis didn't bomb. But no, Shinzon is a one dimensional idiot will little in the way of motivations and mind rapes Troi just to show he's evil. What is up with Trek and Troi getting raped in her sleep?

I lean more towards Insurrection being the worst movie but Nemesis is nearly just as bad.
Flagg
CUNTS FOR EYES!
Location: Hell. In The Room Right Next to Reagan. He's Fucking Bonzo. No, wait... Bonzo's fucking HIM.

Post by Flagg »

Umm, has no one seen The Final Frontier where the Enterprise flew to the center of the galaxy, found "god" (who was just a random alien dick) and blew him up with stock footage of the Klingon Bird of Prey? That ties the Enterprise "series finale" for the worst shit with a Star Trek label ever made.
We pissing our pants yet?
-Negan

You got your shittin' pants on? Because you’re about to
Shit. Your. Pants!
-Negan

He who can,
does; he who cannot, teaches.
-George Bernard Shaw
Joun_Lord
Jedi Master

Post by Joun_Lord »

Final Frontier was atleast entertaining. Stupid as all hell? Only in the Mirror Universe its not. A nonsensical plot I think was made solely to stroke Shatner's ego? You better believe it? Boring? Oh hell nah.

And I don't even think the Enterprise series finale was the worst, I think Voyager finale with its time traveling Janeway giving Voyager Batmobile armor and quantum torpedoes to fuck over the Borg so they could erase 20 years and entire peoples lives to save Seven's sweet ass was worse.
Crazedwraith
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crazedwraith »

Voyager's finale was at least about Voyager though.

It wasn't an expansion pack to a TNG episode
Iroscato
Jedi Council Member

Post by Iroscato »

Flagg wrote: 2017-08-05 03:34pm Umm, has no one seen The Final Frontier where the Enterprise flew to the center of the galaxy, found "god" (who was just a random alien dick) and blew him up with stock footage of the Klingon Bird of Prey? That ties the Enterprise "series finale" for the worst shit with a Star Trek label ever made.
Dude, did you not see the Doctor Who season finale where he reset the entire universe, with one of the changes being STV never actually happened? Fuck sake man, keep up :P
Yeah, I've always taken the subtext of the Birther movement to be, "The rules don't count here! This is different! HE'S BLACK! BLACK, I SAY! ARE YOU ALL BLIND!?

- Raw Shark

Destiny and fate are for those too weak to forge their own futures. Where we are 'supposed' to be is irrelevent.

- SirNitram (RIP)
Batman
Emperor's Hand
Location: Seriously thinking about moving to Marvel because so much of the DCEU stinks

Post by Batman »

Nemesis, all the way. Yes, Insurrection was bad, but it was bad because it was a big budget early TNG multiparter. While undeniably a much worse movie than 'first Contact', is felt a lot more TNG while FC was a SciFi action movie that happened to be parked in the Trek universe.
TFF was bad but it had its moments.
Nemesis had absolutely nothing going for it.
'Next time I let Superman take charge, just hit me. Real hard.'
'You're a princess from a society of immortal warriors. I'm a rich kid with issues. Lots of issues.'
'No. No dating for the Batman. It might cut into your brooding time.'
'Tactically we have multiple objectives. So we need to split into teams.'-'Dibs on the Amazon!'
'Hey, we both have a Martian's phone number on our speed dial. I think I deserve the benefit of the doubt.'
'You know, for a guy with like 50 different kinds of vision, you sure are blind.'
Q99
Jedi Council Member

Post by Q99 »

Batmobile anti-Borg armor is cool. It's a bit silly but that's not a huge minus. Voy beating the Borg and getting home was something that fit.

And I will note that time alteration likely saved a lot more than Seven!
Flagg wrote: 2017-08-05 03:34pm Umm, has no one seen The Final Frontier where the Enterprise flew to the center of the galaxy, found "god" (who was just a random alien dick) and blew him up with stock footage of the Klingon Bird of Prey? That ties the Enterprise "series finale" for the worst shit with a Star Trek label ever made.
Seen it. Would much rather watch it than Insurrection again (or Nemesis the first time!).

Note that God being some random alien dick is 100% Star Trek, that's happened, like, a half-dozen times. And back in TOS days, they flew to the edge of the galaxy. I mean, sure, it was not well done, but I had some fun, and there were some good moments and scenes.
Lord Revan
Emperor's Hand

Post by Lord Revan »

Star Trek 5 was wierd and poorly written but it did have it's funny moments possibly unintentional ones but they were there. Insurrection was good example of how to make a "message show" the wrong way in many ways having many of the bad aspects of early TNG but it also had some good parts and the action if a bit silly wasn't bad either.

Nemesis on the other end was just a mess and not even an entertaining mess like ST5, Nemesis tried to be both a fun action movie and a serious movie exploring indentity and failed at it so that instead of the different storylines supplementing each other they were in conflict and ended up worse then either of them would have been as seperate stories.
I may be an idiot, but I'm a tolerated idiot
"I think you completely missed the point of sigs. They're supposed to be completely homegrown in the fertile hydroponics lab of your mind, dried in your closet, rolled, and smoked...
Oh wait, that's marijuana..."Einhander Sn0m4n
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Post by The Romulan Republic »

Keeping in mind that I have not watched Insurrection, most of Nemesis (just parts of it), or (to my regret) Beyond, I'd say probably Star Trek V: The Final Frontier, of the ones I've watched.

Though the parts of Nemesis I've seen, plus its reputation, make me inclined to vote for it anyway.
"I know its easy to be defeatist here because nothing has seemingly reigned Trump in so far. But I will say this: every asshole succeeds until finally, they don't. Again, 18 months before he resigned, Nixon had a sky-high approval rating of 67%. Harvey Weinstein was winning Oscars until one day, he definitely wasn't."-John Oliver

"The greatest enemy of a good plan is the dream of a perfect plan."-General Von Clauswitz, describing my opinion of Bernie or Busters and third partiers in a nutshell.

I SUPPORT A NATIONAL GENERAL STRIKE TO REMOVE TRUMP FROM OFFICE.
FedRebel
Jedi Master

Post by FedRebel »

Nemesis, it just missed the mark by a parsec

The Romulans as primary antagonists, Picard facing his most cunning and deeply motivated enemy yet, Data sacrificing himself to save the Enterprise and the galaxy....

First thing that pops in my head is Sela, added sting is that Denise Crosby tried to lobby reprising the character, Rick Berman refused.

poorly edited, poorly directed. The villains motivations are forced, the finale is an abysmal rip off of Wrath of Khan. There is zero redeeming element.
FaxModem1
Emperor's Hand

Post by FaxModem1 »

Nemesis, Star Trek V, the Final Frontier is stupid and silly, but doesn't really hurt anything and is best interpreted as a bad dream due to McCoy's 'baked beans'.

Insurrection is just an okay episode that's not fully thought out.

Nemesis was supposed to end the TNG crew on a high note, and smells of wasted potential and mean spirited bitterness. Instead of the Romulans, we get Nosferatu vampire orcs. instead of Sela, we get a young goth Picard clone. Instead of seeing the crew have one last hurrah and fun, we get things like a wake for Data and Troi getting raped.

It just puts a sour note for the franchise.

That, and the fact that the plot doesn't make sense due to Shinzon being so badly written, and it's a bad experience.
FedRebel wrote: 2017-08-07 09:57am Nemesis, it just missed the mark by a parsec

The Romulans as primary antagonists, Picard facing his most cunning and deeply motivated enemy yet, Data sacrificing himself to save the Enterprise and the galaxy....

First thing that pops in my head is Sela, added sting is that Denise Crosby tried to lobby reprising the character, Rick Berman refused.

poorly edited, poorly directed. The villains motivations are forced, the finale is an abysmal rip off of Wrath of Khan. There is zero redeeming element.
Why did Rick Berman refuse that? It seems like a rather bad move considering how much the character was liked by the fans.
Lord Revan
Emperor's Hand

Post by Lord Revan »

I don't mind the remans and had they been the minions of a proper romulan baddie (like Sela or Tomalak) I dout anyone else would have had issues with them, but tied to the very weak antagonist of Shinzon hurt the remans.

As for Shinzon himself not only was poorly written and couldn't had filled the role he was intended to due to the short time to build his character, he was unneeded as Picard already had a "Khan" analogue in the Borg collective ironically for all its flaws something First Contact did right was to draw on that personal connection Picard had a victim of the Borg.
I may be an idiot, but I'm a tolerated idiot
"I think you completely missed the point of sigs. They're supposed to be completely homegrown in the fertile hydroponics lab of your mind, dried in your closet, rolled, and smoked...
Oh wait, that's marijuana..."Einhander Sn0m4n
Sidewinder
Sith Acolyte

Post by Sidewinder »

'Into Darkness'. Not only does the screenwriter (Roberto Orci) waste the audience's time by shoehorning 9/11 Truth Movement conspiracy theories down our throat, he does so in a matter that disregards the consequences of events that occurred in the previous film, insulting our intelligence and breaking our ability to suspend disbelief.
Please do not make Americans fight giant monsters.

Those gun nuts do not understand the meaning of "overkill," and will simply use weapon after weapon of mass destruction (WMD) until the monster is dead, or until they run out of weapons.

They have more WMD than there are monsters for us to fight. (More insanity here.)
Q99
Jedi Council Member

Post by Q99 »

FaxModem1 wrote: 2017-08-07 12:20pm Why did Rick Berman refuse that? It seems like a rather bad move considering how much the character was liked by the fans.
His vision for Trek often isn't my favorite- I gather he's generally not a big fan of stuff that uses more continuity.
Batman
Emperor's Hand
Location: Seriously thinking about moving to Marvel because so much of the DCEU stinks

Post by Batman »

Or maybe he just didn't like time travel shenanigans given that's how Sela happened in the first place and time travel tends to mess with continuity something fierce if not done right
'You're a princess from a society of immortal warriors. I'm a rich kid with issues. Lots of issues.'
'Tactically we have multiple objectives. So we need to split into teams.'-'Dibs on the Amazon!'
'Hey, we both have a Martian's phone number on our speed dial. I think I deserve the benefit of the doubt.'
'You know, for a guy with like 50 different kinds of vision, you sure are blind.'
Sidewinder
Sith Acolyte

Post by Sidewinder »

Batman wrote: 2017-08-08 09:48pm Or maybe he just didn't like time travel shenanigans given that's how Sela happened in the first place and time travel tends to mess with continuity something fierce if not done right
Didn't he insist on having time travel be a plot point in 'First Contact'?

Those gun nuts do not understand the meaning of "overkill," and will simply use weapon after weapon of mass destruction (WMD) until the monster is dead, or until they run out of weapons.

They have more WMD than there are monsters for us to fight. (More insanity here.)
Batman
Emperor's Hand

Post by Batman »

I dunno. Did he?
Q99
Jedi Council Member

Post by Q99 »

Batman wrote: 2017-08-08 09:48pm Or maybe he just didn't like time travel shenanigans given that's how Sela happened in the first place and time travel tends to mess with continuity something fierce if not done right
That aspect doesn't even need to be covered in her story, she's an established character now- and besides, they went with 'secret clone' instead, which is not simpler.
CetaMan
Youngling

Post by CetaMan »

Nemesis, I just cannot bring myself to watch and enjoy it. The only possible redeeming factor is some other race who likes at least some faction of romulans.
Sidewinder
Sith Acolyte

Post by Sidewinder »

Batman wrote: 2017-08-09 04:19pm I dunno. Did he?
Yes. See here for details.

Batman
Emperor's Hand

Post by Batman »

Well so much for that theory.
SolarpunkFan
Jedi Knight

Post by SolarpunkFan »

It's close for me... but it has to go to Insurrection for me.

The fact that I'm a tech geek just means that movie causes me insult AND injury. :banghead:
Seeing current events as they are is wrecking me emotionally. So I say 'farewell' to this forum. For anyone who wonders.