Thelema Q&A with To Mega Therion

SLAM: debunk creationism, pseudoscience, and superstitions. Discuss logic and morality.

Moderator: Alyrium Denryle

Aleister Crowley
Redshirt

Thelema Q&A with To Mega Therion

Post by Aleister Crowley »

(If this doesn't belong here or if the topic isn't appropriate, I apologize in advance.)

Do what thou wilt shall be the whole of the Law.

I thought I'd make a topic on this, given that it is something that has become very near and dear to me. Thelema is a philosophical and sometime religious ideology, born out of a long life's work. Clearing up some of the misconceptions and wrong headed ideas you hear from both well meaning and idiotic people is important. I'm not out to convert anyone, but I just thought it would make for interesting discussion.

Thelema means will or desire. It's essentially what is engaged when you do something intentionally. It is no coincidence that this is part of the definition of magick, but we're getting ahead of ourselves. The important thing is that it is mostly also a word used to designate a philosophy, which is encapsulated in the phrase above. It is NOT a "do as you please" philosophy or an invitation to a libertine lifestyle. It is a quite disciplined approach to life, with it's own kind of freedom in responsibility and duty. Liber XXX lays all of this out, with a basic approach to morality that goes further than the initial understanding of "Do what thou wilt". That phrase comes from a book called Liber AL vel Legis or simply The Book of the Law. The Book came from my very own HGA, though written by my hand over 3 days. It was written in Egypt while on a honeymoon, but the full story is too long to be written here. I'll tell that story in due time. In essense, the book was written and then it was thrown in a box and forgotten for a long time. During that time I was entrenched in other studies, having given up on magick and the occult. I was studying Buddhism and had thought it more rational than the previous mysticism. It was by chance that I revisted my work at all and found it to be full of profound wisdom and Qabbalistic signifigance. It is quite a work, if I do say so myself. I could not have written it from my own inspiration. There is so much to say, but I'm going to try to keep it from becoming too rambly and disjointed. I have a tendency to write in purple prose, which might annoy some readers. I apologize in advance. If anyone is curious, ask me anything you want.

Love is the law, love under will.
Raw Shark
Stunt Driver / Babysitter

Re: Thelema Q&A with To Mega Therion

Post by Raw Shark »

Go ahead and ask Jack Parsons how that worked out.

"Do I really look like a guy with a plan? Y'know what I am? I'm a dog chasing cars. I wouldn't know what to do with one if I caught it! Y'know, I just do things..." --The Joker
Aleister Crowley
Redshirt

Raw Shark wrote: 2017-08-01 10:50pm Go ahead and ask Jack Parsons how that worked out.
He killed himself for reasons I can't understand. It's really sad when someone does that, but especially someone with potential and intelligence.
Raw Shark
Stunt Driver / Babysitter

Post by Raw Shark »

Aleister Crowley wrote: 2017-08-02 03:16am He killed himself for reasons I can't understand. It's really sad when someone does that, but especially someone with potential and intelligence.
Um, I believe L. Ron Hubbard may have had something to do with it?

"Do I really look like a guy with a plan? Y'know what I am? I'm a dog chasing cars. I wouldn't know what to do with one if I caught it! Y'know, I just do things..." --The Joker
Aleister Crowley
Redshirt

Raw Shark wrote: 2017-08-02 06:35am
Aleister Crowley wrote: 2017-08-02 03:16am He killed himself for reasons I can't understand. It's really sad when someone does that, but especially someone with potential and intelligence.
Um, I believe L. Ron Hubbard may have had something to do with it?
Yes, L. Ron Hubbard ran off with Jack's girlfriend on his boat. Dick move. I am not to shocked after all, since he would later go on to take a bunch of drugs and write some crazy shit about aliens. Wanker must have not been paying attention at all when he was around occultists. Or they didn't do a good job expressing the ideals they held. Either way, L. Ron Hubbard was a sad case and a manipulative jerk.
LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

Not the right forum. Off you go!
Nitram, slightly high on cough syrup: Do you know you're beautiful?
Me: Nope, that's why I have you around to tell me.
Nitram: You -are- beautiful. Anyone tries to tell you otherwise kill them.

"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP" -- Leonard Nimoy, last Tweet