Star Trek discovery triggers alt right

PST: discuss Star Trek without "versus" arguments.

Moderator: Vympel

mr friendly guy
The Doctor
Location: In a 1960s police telephone box somewhere in Australia

Star Trek discovery triggers alt right

Post by mr friendly guy »

Not sure if this should go into sci fi or into OT, but damn its funny.

http://www.rawstory.com/2017/05/white-g ... ek-series/
‘White genocide in space’: Racist fans seethe at diversity in new ‘Star Trek’ series

The new series Star Trek Discovery stars Asian actress Michelle Yeoh as the ship’s captain and black actress Sonequa Martin-Green as her first officer — and this has caused some Trekkies to fret about the lack of white men in charge.

While the overall reaction to the new Star Trek trailer has been positive — although there are the usual complaints from Star Trek fans about continuity errors — one group of fans is particularly upset about the show’s diverse cast of characters.

As both Heat Street and Daily Kos point out, the series’ YouTube page has been bombarded by comments labeling the show a “SJW” plot aimed at shoving “political correctness,” “forced diversity,” and even “cultural Marxism” down viewers’ throats.

Additionally, some angry Twitter users have even proclaimed that the show’s diverse cast is evidence of a “white genocide” conspiracy aimed at eliminating the white race from the face of the Earth.

Read some of the top angry reactions from fans below.
LubertDas @lubertdas
Star Trek Discovery: The only white males are a Vulcan a-hole and a wimpy helmsman. This show appears to be fully SJW converged.
9:42 AM - 18 May 2017 · Mundelein, IL

2 2 Retweets 5 5 likes
Twitter Ads info & Privacy
Follow
Bro Rabbit @BrurRabbit
Star Trek introduces #WhiteGenocide in space... as if "diversity" could make it to space
CBS upcoming "Star Trek Discovery" only one white cast member & surprise-he's gay! Another #SJW failure, like Marvel Comics. #WhiteGenocide pic.twitter.com/1ng1HW3L53

— Conscious Celt (@ConsciousCelt) May 18, 2017
David Laettner @DavidLaettner
Star Trek: Discovery
moar liek
Star Trek: muh forced Diversity
8:06 PM - 19 May 2017
TheMadScientist @ThMadScientist
Star Trek Discovery. Another prequel no one asked for lacquered in feminist political correctness & shit writing
Michael Burns @ooohouchburn
Star Trek Discovery aka "SJW The Next Generation" Trailer Drops. Seems BLM made the trailer...
Joshua @joshua8598
@startrekcbs @SonequaMG Star Trek Discovery of feminism edition? I LOVED captain Janeway but please don't ruin Star Trek with tons of political correctness@
Next they will have a Japanese man and an African American actress on Trek. What an outrage.

By the way, Michelle Yeoh kicks arse in Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon and as a Bond Girl, while the Alt Rights kick arse in defending people who advocate child rape. Hmm. I know which one I would rather have on my side.
Never apologise for being a geek, because they won't apologise to you for being an arsehole. John Barrowman - 22 June 2014 Perth Supernova.

Countries I have been to - 14.
Australia, Canada, China, Colombia, Denmark, Ecuador, Finland, Germany, Malaysia, Netherlands, Norway, Singapore, Sweden, USA.
Always on the lookout for more nice places to visit.
Prometheus Unbound
Jedi Master

Re: Star Trek discovery triggers alt right

Post by Prometheus Unbound »

I don't think Star Trek is aimed at the alt right :lol: :lol: Maybe go cheer on President Clarke in B5 or something.
NecronLord wrote:
Also, shorten your signature a couple of lines please.
mr friendly guy
The Doctor

Prometheus Unbound wrote:I don't think Star Trek is aimed at the alt right :lol: :lol: Maybe go cheer on President Clarke in B5 or something.
But Clarke is too smart to be a Trump president. He actually is competent in getting rid of his political opponents. On the other hand, they both don't have any hair, so..... Although his hands were at least big enough to hold a gun. :lol:
Never apologise for being a geek, because they won't apologise to you for being an arsehole. John Barrowman - 22 June 2014 Perth Supernova.

Australia, Canada, China, Colombia, Denmark, Ecuador, Finland, Germany, Malaysia, Netherlands, Norway, Singapore, Sweden, USA.
Joun_Lord
Jedi Master

Post by Joun_Lord »

Prometheus Unbound wrote:I don't think Star Trek is aimed at the alt right
Of course it is, haven't you seen the mirror universe episodes where everyone is evil, racist, sexist, and incredibly stupid?

On topic, this makes me lol. Fucking morons so small minded they can't handle anything that Whitey McWhiteguy isn't front and center and the majority. That anything not so white that it looks like Tony Montana's desk is racist and anti-white or even advocating white genocide. Why the flying fish fuck do they morons think anything that is majority minority or whatever is for white genocide? Probably the same idiots that call anyone in an interracial relationship a "race traitor".

The only thing that sucks about the idiots spouting this nonsense is it really makes it hard to take seriously actual cases of "reverse racism" or actual anti-white stupidity. Its like the disgusting "Mens Rights Activists" who poison the well for actual problems men face like male rape being considered the fodder of comics and sometimes not considered legally rape or even able to happen or the problems men face for custody. Extremist idiots drown out actual problems.

Also going to really suck if Discovery fails and people try to blame racist idiots for its failure rather then it possibly sucking so nobody learns from any possible mistakes like reboot Ghostbusters.
Crazedwraith
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crazedwraith »

Yeoh's the captain? I thought Jason Isaacs was?
Gandalf
SD.net White Wizard

Post by Gandalf »

Joun_Lord wrote:Also going to really suck if Discovery fails and people try to blame racist idiots for its failure rather then it possibly sucking so nobody learns from any possible mistakes like reboot Ghostbusters.
Huh?
"Oh no, oh yeah, tell me how can it be so fair
That we dying younger hiding from the police man over there
Just for breathing in the air they wanna leave me in the chair
Electric shocking body rocking beat streeting me to death"

- A.B. Original, Report to the Mist

"I think it’s the duty of the comedian to find out where the line is drawn and cross it deliberately."
- George Carlin
Joun_Lord
Jedi Master

Post by Joun_Lord »

Gandalf wrote:Huh?
I was referring to how the recent Ghostbusters movie (I think its officially called Ghostbusters Answer the Call) failed at the box office. Its failure was blamed, and really any backlash since the first trailer, on sexism where the main cast is gender swapped from the original as opposed to the just the fact it was at best a lazy mediocre movie or the fact it was another shitty reboot nobody wanted (except Sony execs) and doesn't do anything positive to continue the franchise. It allows the studio and those that worked on it to ignore legitimate criticisms of the movie and just blame it all on internet fatty nerds who hate female led movies which is why Aliens, Mad Max Fury Road, Kill Bill, Terminator, and The Hunger Games were all horrible box office failures, total dismal disappointments.

I would hope that Discovery doesn't fall within the same pattern if it happens to fail. Which I hope it doesn't fail mind you but if it does I'd prefer for the reasons to not be obfuscated so as future attempts don't repeat the mistakes should it fail.
Prometheus Unbound
Jedi Master

mr friendly guy wrote: Although his hands were at least big enough to hold a gun. :lol:
Very small gun. IIRC PPEs (PPGs?) were like 3 inches across ><
NecronLord wrote:
Prometheus Unbound
Jedi Master

Crazedwraith wrote:Yeoh's the captain? I thought Jason Isaacs was?
Two ships. She's the captain of the Senzhou and he's the captain of the Discovery.
NecronLord wrote:
AniThyng
Sith Devotee

Post by AniThyng »

So she's not a main cast member or what? I'm confused on that point
I do know how to spell
AniThyng is merely the name I gave to what became my favourite Baldur's Gate II mage character :P
Prometheus Unbound
Jedi Master

AniThyng wrote:So she's not a main cast member or what? I'm confused on that point
We don't know yet.

Yeoh is definitely the captain of the shenzhou and Isaacs is definitely the captain of the discovery.

It could well be that the first season is "finding" the discovery - maybe its lost or something. Or maybe Michael is being transferred from the Shenzhou to the Discovery (and the interactions we see are just from the first episode).

But there are two ships in this show and Yeoh is a main cast member.

The ships must be working side by side or something for this to make sense.

Or possibly two storylines that converge.
NecronLord wrote:
Lord Revan
Emperor's Hand

Post by Lord Revan »

Prometheus Unbound wrote:
Two ships. She's the captain of the Senzhou and he's the captain of the Discovery.
and the funny thing is that Yeoh is neither the first female captain nor the first minority captain, hell both DS9 and Voyager had only 1 recognizebly white male character in the main roster (Odo and Quark were under so heavy make-up but their racial backround wasn't obvious though I think both actors would fall under the defination of "white") and depending on whether the initial characterization for Reed is still valid Enterprise has only 2 (acceptble) white men in the main cast as Reed is either bi or outright gay (the orginal plan for Reed was to have him be gay but CBS chickened out and tried to sort of write that out but not totally).

Storylinewise one possibility is that the Discovery is sent after the Shenzhou after that ship goes dark and possibly renegade.
I may be an idiot, but I'm a tolerated idiot
"I think you completely missed the point of sigs. They're supposed to be completely homegrown in the fertile hydroponics lab of your mind, dried in your closet, rolled, and smoked...
Oh wait, that's marijuana..."Einhander Sn0m4n
houser2112
Padawan Learner

Post by houser2112 »

Lord Revan wrote:depending on whether the initial characterization for Reed is still valid Enterprise has only 2 (acceptble) white men in the main cast as Reed is either bi or outright gay (the orginal plan for Reed was to have him be gay but CBS chickened out and tried to sort of write that out but not totally).
If the episode where he and Tripp were duped on Risa is any indication, he's not gay.
Prometheus Unbound
Jedi Master

Lord Revan wrote:
Prometheus Unbound wrote:
and the funny thing is that Yeoh is neither the first female captain nor the first minority captain, hell both DS9 and Voyager had only 1 recognizebly white male character in the main roster (Odo and Quark were under so heavy make-up but their racial backround wasn't obvious though I think both actors would fall under the defination of "white") and depending on whether the initial characterization for Reed is still valid Enterprise has only 2 (acceptble) white men in the main cast as Reed is either bi or outright gay (the orginal plan for Reed was to have him be gay but CBS chickened out and tried to sort of write that out but not totally).

Storylinewise one possibility is that the Discovery is sent after the Shenzhou after that ship goes dark and possibly renegade.

Who was the white ma... oh, O'Brien.

And he's a minority (Irish).
NecronLord wrote:
Crazedwraith
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crazedwraith »

houser2112 wrote:
Lord Revan wrote:depending on whether the initial characterization for Reed is still valid Enterprise has only 2 (acceptble) white men in the main cast as Reed is either bi or outright gay (the orginal plan for Reed was to have him be gay but CBS chickened out and tried to sort of write that out but not totally).
If the episode where he and Tripp were duped on Risa is any indication, he's not gay.
I think the closest any one's got to saying that is the actor saying "God knows I played him gay!" There's nothing on Memory Alpha suggesting the producers had imagined him gay.
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Post by The Romulan Republic »

No surprises here. The moment you cast a woman or minority, their are inevitably some people who scream about how its "political correctness" and how its taking roles away from white men (because of course, in their world, no woman or minority could ever earn a role on merit).

Honestly, though, they may be doing the show a favour. Because when I see this shit, I want to watch it even if it sucks, just to spite them.
"I know its easy to be defeatist here because nothing has seemingly reigned Trump in so far. But I will say this: every asshole succeeds until finally, they don't. Again, 18 months before he resigned, Nixon had a sky-high approval rating of 67%. Harvey Weinstein was winning Oscars until one day, he definitely wasn't."-John Oliver

"The greatest enemy of a good plan is the dream of a perfect plan."-General Von Clauswitz, describing my opinion of Bernie or Busters and third partiers in a nutshell.

I SUPPORT A NATIONAL GENERAL STRIKE TO REMOVE TRUMP FROM OFFICE.
Elheru Aran
Emperor's Hand

Post by Elheru Aran »

Not an isolated occurrence, of course:

http://www.rawstory.com/2017/05/aggriev ... der-woman/

TL:DR version: Texas theater has a women's only screening of Wonder Woman, a bunch of guys get annoyed.

Same old shit.
It's a strange world. Let's keep it that way.
mr friendly guy
The Doctor

The Romulan Republic wrote:
Honestly, though, they may be doing the show a favour. Because when I see this shit, I want to watch it even if it sucks, just to spite them.
It certainly makes me want to watch it to see what all the fuss is about. However since I live in Australia and don't get a lot of these subscriptions, I most probably won't make a difference.

Q99
Jedi Council Member

Post by Q99 »

Joun_Lord wrote: Also going to really suck if Discovery fails and people try to blame racist idiots for its failure rather then it possibly sucking so nobody learns from any possible mistakes like reboot Ghostbusters.
The reaction to the Reboot Ghostbusters really poisoned the well- because while it was a flawed movie, it also had some good stuff and a lot of people loved that we had an ensemble women *action* movie cast that had parts that really worked, like Holtzman, and the invention of new ghostbusting weapons was a good concept even if it ended up relatively minor in terms of story impact. The villain's form was just a boring Staypuff marshmellow redux and they should've been more creative, but he was better than the skeezy guy in GB2 (btw, I rate GB-reboot above GB-2). But bring up the good parts and it's 'you're just reacting to the bigots.' The whole thing really jammed the discussion of the movie period, whether talking good or bad.
Gandalf
SD.net White Wizard

Post by Gandalf »

Q99 wrote:
Joun_Lord wrote:Also going to really suck if Discovery fails and people try to blame racist idiots for its failure rather then it possibly sucking so nobody learns from any possible mistakes like reboot Ghostbusters.
The reaction to the Reboot Ghostbusters really poisoned the well- because while it was a flawed movie, it also had some good stuff and a lot of people loved that we had an ensemble women *action* movie cast that had parts that really worked, like Holtzman, and the invention of new ghostbusting weapons was a good concept even if it ended up relatively minor in terms of story impact. The villain's form was just a boring Staypuff marshmellow redux and they should've been more creative, but he was better than the skeezy guy in GB2 (btw, I rate GB-reboot above GB-2). But bring up the good parts and it's 'you're just reacting to the bigots.' The whole thing really jammed the discussion of the movie period, whether talking good or bad.
Largely this.

I thought that the new GB wasn't a perfect film, but I rate it as one of my five favourite films of 2016. It was a fun and silly piece, which was all that it promised to be. I say that and I'm not even in the target audience. My wife absolutely loved it.

I guess between this and Clinton 2016, the big lesson of the year was to keep angry white guys appeased.

"I think it’s the duty of the comedian to find out where the line is drawn and cross it deliberately."
- George Carlin
ray245
Emperor's Hand

Post by ray245 »

It's kinda ridiculous when ST is a show with a united humanity. Assuming every part of Earth is on economic parity ( no money in ST), you're far more likely to see an Asian Captain than a White Captain because Whites are a minority by global standards.
Humans are such funny creatures. We are selfish about selflessness, yet we can love something so much that we can hate something.
Q99
Jedi Council Member

Post by Q99 »

Yea. Enterprise honestly bugged me with how relatively-white it was.
Joun_Lord
Jedi Master

Post by Joun_Lord »

Q99 wrote:The reaction to the Reboot Ghostbusters really poisoned the well- because while it was a flawed movie, it also had some good stuff and a lot of people loved that we had an ensemble women *action* movie cast that had parts that really worked, like Holtzman, and the invention of new ghostbusting weapons was a good concept even if it ended up relatively minor in terms of story impact. The villain's form was just a boring Staypuff marshmellow redux and they should've been more creative, but he was better than the skeezy guy in GB2 (btw, I rate GB-reboot above GB-2). But bring up the good parts and it's 'you're just reacting to the bigots.' The whole thing really jammed the discussion of the movie period, whether talking good or bad.
In some ways I agree though I didn't really like the movie personally though I didn't really hate it either, it was meh with some parts that worked and some parts that didn't but in my opinion had more parts that didn't.

Its just a matter of opinion really, even some of the stuff you mentioned you liked I didn't. Holtzman was fine but the "action" bits I think came out of nowhere and displayed the GBers doing action moves that seemed ridiculous. The "weapons" I didn't like either because, and this is my inner fanboy talking, I never really thought of the GBers as cops or soldiers who needed weapons. The proton pack was a tool, a laser lasso that only through misuse become a weapon. Its proper use was to aid in trapping ghosts, not shoot them dead......er or smack them around. The newer GBers had like pistols and brass knuckles blowing away ghosts.

I also liked Ghostbusters 2 even if it wasn't perfect which again shows how opinions can be different. I was pretty gobsmacked by the internets collective hate of the movie. Clearly they must have all been Jeanine/Egon shippers. :lol:

But yes, even while objectively one can call reboot Ghostbusters a bad movie it wasn't the apocalyptic terror some made it out to be and to even discuss its good or bad parts in some circles is hard because of the accusations of bigotry. The movie is kinda tainted, its supposed sexist backlash has overshadowed the movie itself.

Which is what I'd fear about Discovery should the "controversy" of daring, of having the gall, the gumption, the ego the living planet played by Colonel O'Neil with one L to mostly cost non-white dudes get larger or should CBS embrace the controversy like Sony did with GB that the controversy might overshadow the series and like Ghostbusters let people bury their heads in the sand about what made it fail, if it fails.

Because lets face it, nobody at Sony, not Paul Feig, is going to acknowledge that the movie on its own failed. Sony might continue to blame sexist internet bigots and trolls, Feig the same while blaming the original movie and their attempts to pay homage. Its all "because they were women" and not "because they just weren't that great".

And Trek unfortunately lives in a bit of a closed bubble when it comes to fandom, if the meme of racism killed Discovery gets some Kermit the Frog sized legs and goes that could wind up being considered why the show failed even if it had little to do with the success or failure of Discovery.

I'm wonder if racism or sexism was ever blamed for DS9 or Voyager underperforming?
Gandalf
SD.net White Wizard

Post by Gandalf »

Q99 wrote:Yea. Enterprise honestly bugged me with how relatively-white it was.
It was a bit like Firefly, set in a universe which is full of Chinese stuff, but seemingly no Asian people.

- George Carlin
Q99
Jedi Council Member

Post by Q99 »

Joun_Lord wrote: Its just a matter of opinion really, even some of the stuff you mentioned you liked I didn't. Holtzman was fine but the "action" bits I think came out of nowhere and displayed the GBers doing action moves that seemed ridiculous. The "weapons" I didn't like either because, and this is my inner fanboy talking, I never really thought of the GBers as cops or soldiers who needed weapons. The proton pack was a tool, a laser lasso that only through misuse become a weapon. Its proper use was to aid in trapping ghosts, not shoot them dead......er or smack them around. The newer GBers had like pistols and brass knuckles blowing away ghosts.
I mean, by action, the original ones were action too, just not like martial arts actions or such. This one was a bit more cinematic action and I can get not liking that, though I think it's fairly inevitable with the change in the times that things would step up to a degree.

The weapons played up the development-as-inventors angle too, which I liked. The first GB, they just had all the gear ready from the getgo, Egon and Ray did it all offscreen. This one, they didn't even have the capacity to capture ghosts at first, which is great when they can't yet *prove* ghosts, it was just theories they'd written down but not put into practice. Then they learn to trap, clumsily at first, then they get new stuff... even if one trimmed out the more advanced weaponry, that's a good concept.

But yes, even while objectively one can call reboot Ghostbusters a bad movie it wasn't the apocalyptic terror some made it out to be and to even discuss its good or bad parts in some circles is hard because of the accusations of bigotry. The movie is kinda tainted, its supposed sexist backlash has overshadowed the movie itself.
Blacklash almost feels like the wrong word because it was all happening before the movie came out! Pre-backlash? Forelash? The sexist brigade came out guns blazing from the first trailer, got the defenders on edge, and that dominated the narrative to the release and then some. Even the reviews trying to address the merits normally spent a paragraph or two talking about that!
Which is what I'd fear about Discovery should the "controversy" of daring, of having the gall, the gumption, the ego the living planet played by Colonel O'Neil with one L to mostly cost non-white dudes get larger or should CBS embrace the controversy like Sony did with GB that the controversy might overshadow the series and like Ghostbusters let people bury their heads in the sand about what made it fail, if it fails.
In the case of Star Trek, I think it's big enough that we don't have to worry about those aspects drowning out the narrative- I mean, Trek's got the history of it, and literally is a show about diversity.

Oh yea, and being active, Trek doesn't have quite the same level of expectations. Like, there's a fair amount riding on it that people want better Trek, but this isn't a thirty-years-later revival, this is a one-year-after-the-last-movie thing. It doesn't have to restart trek or live up to the best of Trek off the bat to succeed.

Heck, let's face it, we kinda expect weak first seasons from Trek, don't we? Last good first season was maybe the Animated series.... so if the characters are good and we get some good episodes in the mix I expect people will expect it to pick up.

pquote]
Because lets face it, nobody at Sony, not Paul Feig, is going to acknowledge that the movie on its own failed. Sony might continue to blame sexist internet bigots and trolls, Feig the same while blaming the original movie and their attempts to pay homage. Its all "because they were women" and not "because they just weren't that great". [/quote]

Eh, opening weekends are more about the marketing than the quality, quality is more a 'how well it holds' thing (See: Batman vs Superman, or Jurassic Park Lost World which dropped like a rock after a record opening, or Prometheus). So they do have a point that the attacks probably did hurt it a fair amount. Not that it was ever going to get super hype, but exaggerated toxicity does drag anything down.

Boot that crapstorm away, and it'd probably be a, "Some people liked it, some didn't, middling performance, makes it's money back but doesn't get a sequel," thing.

I'm wonder if racism or sexism was ever blamed for DS9 or Voyager underperforming?
Both did pretty well in ratings really, especially at first, and they did well enough that Enterprise got made, so... the answer should be no, because that wouldn't make sense, but the answer is yes, because they had a black man and a woman.