Star Trek: Discovery - the first trailer

PST: discuss Star Trek without "versus" arguments.

Moderator: Vympel

Iroscato
Jedi Council Member

Star Trek: Discovery - the first trailer

Post by Iroscato »

Hmm...consider me cautiously optimistic.
Yeah, I've always taken the subtext of the Birther movement to be, "The rules don't count here! This is different! HE'S BLACK! BLACK, I SAY! ARE YOU ALL BLIND!?

- Raw Shark

Destiny and fate are for those too weak to forge their own futures. Where we are 'supposed' to be is irrelevent.

- SirNitram (RIP)
Joun_Lord
Jedi Master

Re: Star Trek: Discovery - the first trailer

Post by Joun_Lord »

Hmm. It has me interested atleast. I'm a bit iffy about the series, when its set and all that, but the trailer has me atleast wanting to see the premiere.

Also kinda funny a Trek tv series is coming out around the same time as a blatant parody Trek series, Seth MacFarlane's Orville.
Elheru Aran
Emperor's Hand

Post by Elheru Aran »

...does it take place in the nu-Trek universe or something? Because that doesn't look -anything- like TOS.
It's a strange world. Let's keep it that way.
Iroscato
Jedi Council Member

Post by Iroscato »

Elheru Aran wrote:...does it take place in the nu-Trek universe or something? Because that doesn't look -anything- like TOS.
Nope, Prime timeline. It's inevitable that a show made 50 years after TOS will look vastly different, for me personally aping its style is the least of my concerns.
Yeah, I've always taken the subtext of the Birther movement to be, "The rules don't count here! This is different! HE'S BLACK! BLACK, I SAY! ARE YOU ALL BLIND!?

- Raw Shark

Destiny and fate are for those too weak to forge their own futures. Where we are 'supposed' to be is irrelevent.

- SirNitram (RIP)
Iroscato
Jedi Council Member

Post by Iroscato »

Also, if that's the Discovery shown in the trailer, it looks very different and much, MUCH better than the piece of crap they showed in the concept teaser last year.

- Raw Shark

- SirNitram (RIP)
Elheru Aran
Emperor's Hand

Post by Elheru Aran »

Iroscato wrote:
Elheru Aran wrote:...does it take place in the nu-Trek universe or something? Because that doesn't look -anything- like TOS.
Nope, Prime timeline. It's inevitable that a show made 50 years after TOS will look vastly different, for me personally aping its style is the least of my concerns.

'Aping' it is one thing, but only 10 years separating them? You'd think they would at least -try- to emulate some design elements like the uniforms and such.

Also, if those were Klingons in there (not the pink alien who I suspect is Doug Jones or the ones with the fancy sarcophagus, the more brown ones with the weird getups)... again, wtf? They look like nu-Trek Klingons.

It looks a hell of a lot like nu-Trek, which would actually be fine if they were doing that. Like, those uniforms and the ship could actually be an acceptable 10-years-before-nu-Trek look, between the Franklin and the Kelvin in style.
It's a strange world. Let's keep it that way.
FaxModem1
Emperor's Hand

Post by FaxModem1 »

Why do the Klingons look more like the bad guys from Star Trek Beyond and not, you know, Klingons?

Other than that, I'm hopeful about this series.
Iroscato
Jedi Council Member

Post by Iroscato »

Aaaand it's been taken down.

- Raw Shark

- SirNitram (RIP)
GrandMasterTerwynn
Emperor's Hand

Post by GrandMasterTerwynn »

Watched the trailer and ... It's a good thing this pile of shit will only be watched by the five or six people stupid enough to subscribe to CBS All Access. It looks like a logical extension of Enterprise ... which would be fine if it weren't for the fact that this show allegedly takes place a mere decade before TOS (Prime universe, no less; even though Starfleet's design aesthetic appears to have been lifted straight from the Kelvin-verse) and takes a steaming, elephant-sized, dump on the conventions established in TOS.

I was initially dismayed to learn that the new Trek series would require subscribing to CBS's new service to watch. Now, I can thank CBS for helping me save money by making me not want to subscribe to their service.
Imperial Overlord
Emperor's Hand

Post by Imperial Overlord »

It's gorgeous looking (no surprise, they're going to have good looking shots in the trailer), but god do I hate the look of those Klingons (with the exception of the space suit). What tohke straav has dishonored the glorious sons and daughters of Klinzhai in this fashion?
The Excellent Prismatic Spray. For when you absolutely, positively must kill a motherfucker. Accept no substitutions. Contact a magician of the later Aeons for details. Some conditions may apply.
Gandalf
SD.net White Wizard

Post by Gandalf »

Well that looks dull as fuck. More EPIC TACTICAL GRITTY SPACE COMBAT? Pass.
GrandMasterTerwynn wrote:Watched the trailer and ... It's a good thing this pile of shit will only be watched by the five or six people stupid enough to subscribe to CBS All Access. It looks like a logical extension of Enterprise ... which would be fine if it weren't for the fact that this show allegedly takes place a mere decade before TOS (Prime universe, no less; even though Starfleet's design aesthetic appears to have been lifted straight from the Kelvin-verse) and takes a steaming, elephant-sized, dump on the conventions established in TOS.

I was initially dismayed to learn that the new Trek series would require subscribing to CBS's new service to watch. Now, I can thank CBS for helping me save money by making me not want to subscribe to their service.
The funny thing about that is that if CBS don't work out some sort of international distribution rights quickly, people will pirate the shit out of it because it's so inaccessible as a show.
"Oh no, oh yeah, tell me how can it be so fair
That we dying younger hiding from the police man over there
Just for breathing in the air they wanna leave me in the chair
Electric shocking body rocking beat streeting me to death"

- A.B. Original, Report to the Mist

"I think it’s the duty of the comedian to find out where the line is drawn and cross it deliberately."
- George Carlin
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Post by The Romulan Republic »

Because completely changing the appearance of the Klingons with no explanation is entirely unprecedented in Trek canon, right?
"I know its easy to be defeatist here because nothing has seemingly reigned Trump in so far. But I will say this: every asshole succeeds until finally, they don't. Again, 18 months before he resigned, Nixon had a sky-high approval rating of 67%. Harvey Weinstein was winning Oscars until one day, he definitely wasn't."-John Oliver

"The greatest enemy of a good plan is the dream of a perfect plan."-General Von Clauswitz, describing my opinion of Bernie or Busters and third partiers in a nutshell.

I SUPPORT A NATIONAL GENERAL STRIKE TO REMOVE TRUMP FROM OFFICE.
Imperial Overlord
Emperor's Hand

The Romulan Republic wrote:Because completely changing the appearance of the Klingons with no explanation is entirely unprecedented in Trek canon, right?
Mongol Viking space barbarians is their shtick. They should not be looking like pseudo-Egyptian space vampires in a series set ten years before the original series.
The Excellent Prismatic Spray. For when you absolutely, positively must kill a motherfucker. Accept no substitutions. Contact a magician of the later Aeons for details. Some conditions may apply.
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Eh... wasn't "The Soviet Union in space" their "shtick" initially/in this era?

Its stupid to change them that much outside of a full reboot, don't get me wrong. But its not necessarily stupider than what Trek has done in the past, and I often feel that a lot of people (not you necessarily), who are likely still bitter over there being a reboot in the first place (and/or over the Axanar case) decided to hate this show the moment they heard of it and want it to fail, and attack it over everything rather than give it the benefit of the doubt. So I try to balance that out by playing devil's advocate for it once in a while.

It'll probably suck, yes, if recent televised Trek is anything to go by. But I want to at least be fair to it.

Edit: Mind you, if I were continuing the Prime Timeline, I'd have been tempted to just do a rough adaptation of Star Trek Online's storyline.
"I know its easy to be defeatist here because nothing has seemingly reigned Trump in so far. But I will say this: every asshole succeeds until finally, they don't. Again, 18 months before he resigned, Nixon had a sky-high approval rating of 67%. Harvey Weinstein was winning Oscars until one day, he definitely wasn't."-John Oliver

"The greatest enemy of a good plan is the dream of a perfect plan."-General Von Clauswitz, describing my opinion of Bernie or Busters and third partiers in a nutshell.

Imperial Overlord
Emperor's Hand

Totalitarean Asiatic space barbarians was their initial deal and yes, they were communist stand ins with sinister fu manchu mustaches, a surveilance state, and charming sayings about slitting throats. The new designs are ugly and inconsistent with established aesthetics and I have every right to express my dislike of them and I did so while giving credit to the fact that the Klingon space suit looked good and giving credit to the rest of the trailer's visuals.
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

My take (from tis admittedly very brief) look is:

Good visuals, but feels more visually consistent with the reboot films than any previous Trek era. That's okay, I guess, but I feel like they're again trying to have their cake and eat it too- a reboot without being a reboot, which is a consistent mistake for the Star Trek franchise. Reboots provide an opportunity to reinvent a franchise, but they tend to work best, I think, if you commit to them fully. Though since it is a common failing of Trek, I can't hold it against this show specifically.

Psychic alien who senses death? Okay, interesting, if a bit more on the mystical side of things that I'd expect. Don't like the use of the phrase "biologically determined", though. This sounds like more of treating evolution as destiny/religion.

Some of the acting feels a bit clunky, particularly at the start. However, the characters look like they have at least the potential to be something interesting and different. More asshole bigot Vulcans, though?

Nice to see more focus on female and minority characters. I know some (i.e. Trump voters) will whine about this. I don't care.

Hopefully it doesn't go too DARK AND GRITTY. One of the defining traits of Star Trek is a mostly-optimistic take on the future.

All in all, it looks... okay, if you don't care too much about continuity, but it still feels like they're not thinking outside the box enough, like they're making some of the same old mistakes.

Edits: In fairness, though, a lot of shows (Trek shows especially, perhaps) start out weak and get better. And not just Trek shows. Off the top of my head, Agents of SHIELD didn't hit its stride until midway through its first season, and if anything got better in season two.

Joun_Lord
Jedi Master

Post by Joun_Lord »

The Romulan Republic wrote:Psychic alien who senses death? Okay, interesting, if a bit more on the mystical side of things that I'd expect. Don't like the use of the phrase "biologically determined", though. This sounds like more of treating evolution as destiny/religion.
Trek has long has a problem with despite being an allegedly science focused show really focusing on bullshit mystic bullshit. Cosmic plans, evolution with a goal or purpose, evolution of the individual, and probably other shit I'm forgetting/struck from my mind.

Though I've said before that Trek is more science fantasy like Star Wars but tries to give a more scientifical paintjob by explaining shit. The explations however are just magic spells disguised, as long as something sounds science-y its fine. The holy invocation of technobabble by characters is indicative of this, using mostly real world terms that sounds scientific but used in a completely nonsensical way, meaningless gibberish akin to talking in tongues. A "reverse quantum photonic wedgie in the butt crack in the event horizon" is the same as saying "hocus pocus klaatu barada nikto". Its about as scientific as conscience, it sounds scientific because it even has science in its name and everything.

Now mind you it doesn't automatically make the show bad as long as you remember its not actual science and don't treat it as such. It IS bad when technobabble becomes a crutch used in place of problem solving and plot development. Hopefully Discovery cna discover some way to have Trek without ridiculous amounts of technobabble.
The Romulan Republic wrote:Nice to see more focus on female and minority characters. I know some (i.e. Trump voters) will whine about this. I don't care.
You should care, care because its funny as fuck watching racist and sexist morons whine and complain about this like they did Battlefield 1 while everyone else shows that nobody gives a flying fuck aboot their shitty as fuck opinion or fun to watch if the show fails when fanboys and the dread "SJWs" blame the Trumpdumpsters for killing the show rather then it failing because it sucked. Its fun watching idiots on both sides flail about like me trying to work a cell phone with equally effective results.
bilateralrope
Sith Acolyte

Post by bilateralrope »

Gandalf wrote:The funny thing about that is that if CBS don't work out some sort of international distribution rights quickly, people will pirate the shit out of it because it's so inaccessible as a show.
Last I heard, it's going to be on Netflix outside the US.

I can't say anything more until I see the trailer. Why does CBS not want people seeing their advertising ?
bilateralrope
Sith Acolyte

Post by bilateralrope »

Found a copy of the trailer.

Not sure I like the "trying to save you all" line. I'd like a story other than trying to stop a threat that could end the Federation.

Nor do I like young Spock being included. "10 years before Spock". Here's Spock.
mr friendly guy
The Doctor
Location: In a 1960s police telephone box somewhere in Australia

Post by mr friendly guy »

I am cautiously optimistic based on what I have heard. Although if they are keeping it to the prime Trek line, why don't they set it in the early 25th century or something. Then they can bring back old favourites as elderly versions of their characters.

In any event, it appears to be two ships mainly here. The aforementioned USS Discovery and also the ship commanded by Michelle Yeoh's character, the Shenzhou.
Never apologise for being a geek, because they won't apologise to you for being an arsehole. John Barrowman - 22 June 2014 Perth Supernova.

Countries I have been to - 14.
Australia, Canada, China, Colombia, Denmark, Ecuador, Finland, Germany, Malaysia, Netherlands, Norway, Singapore, Sweden, USA.
Always on the lookout for more nice places to visit.
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

mr friendly guy wrote:I am cautiously optimistic based on what I have heard. Although if they are keeping it to the prime Trek line, why don't they set it in the early 25th century or something. Then they can bring back old favourites as elderly versions of their characters.
That's something I just find baffling. Whoever's running Trek these days seems obsessed with doing prequels/remakes of past eras to the exclusion of all else. There hasn't be a serious attempt at a continuation of the Prime timeline since Nemesis, which was what, fifteen years ago?

Actually... the fact that the last attempt was fucking Nemesis might go a long way toward explaining that. :D

FaxModem1
Emperor's Hand

Post by FaxModem1 »

Might be because the only people interested in that era are die hard fan, who they assume are already playing STO. They also don't have to shell out big bucks for special guest stars to have Dr. Crusher or Harry Kim appear for five minutes.
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

FaxModem1 wrote:Might be because the only people interested in that era are die hard fan,
Really? I mean, TNG was a huge hit in its day, and that era is nearly as well-established in popular culture as TOS, with probably less of a reputation for being campy. You'd think there'd be some TNG-revival nostalgia after 15 years.

Or did Voyager and Nemesis really kill the fan base that thoroughly?
who they assume are already playing STO. They also don't have to shell out big bucks for special guest stars to have Dr. Crusher or Harry Kim appear for five minutes.
The guest star thing is valid, I suppose. Though there must be more minor guest characters who would be cheaper to get. I'm not suggesting they shell out for a big name like Patrick Stewart on a regular basis.

Though on the flip-side, paying for a big guest star can be worth it if it draws in more viewers.

As to Star Trek Online, well, as I said, I'd be tempted to just do a rough adaptation of Star Trek Online's story line.

Darth Nostril
Jedi Knight

Post by Darth Nostril »

Well ...... at least the ship looks better than the one in the teaser.

I tried to think of something else nice to say but frankly this is a gigantic pile of shit looking to cash in on a franchise.
So I stare wistfully at the Lightning for a couple of minutes. Two missiles, sharply raked razor-thin wings, a huge, pregnant belly full of fuel, and the two screamingly powerful engines that once rammed it from a cold start to a thousand miles per hour in under a minute. Life would be so much easier if our adverseries could be dealt with by supersonic death on wings - but alas, Human resources aren't so easily defeated.

Imperial Battleship, halt the flow of time!

My weird shit NSFW
Patroklos
Sith Devotee

Post by Patroklos »

I don't quite understand why the owners of these properties routinely try to avoid continuity in story and style. Even if they are just money grubbing corporate assholes, they are returning to the franchise BECAUSE people liked the old one. If they thought the actually had a compelling new idea there is no need to pay for using or squander an already owned IP if the idea stands on its own, you just create a new show. The only point in returning to a franchise that is still well within living memory is nostalgia or to continue an story that still has legs. And lets be clear regarding how franchises like this make their money. Sure they can be profitable TV shows, but IPs like ST and SW make the bulk of their money from merchandising over the long run. Not everyone has SW action figures and sourcebooks, but many who do have probably spent the equivalent of thousands of movie tickets on that stuff. These people are your audience.

I am with TRR. You either reboot it or you don't. This half assed shit is getting ridiculous.