Thor: Ragnarok Teaser Trailer

FAN: Discuss various fictional worlds that don't qualify for SF.

Moderator: Steve

Iroscato
Jedi Council Member

Thor: Ragnarok Teaser Trailer

Post by Iroscato »

Absolutely love the look and feel of this - can't wait!
Yeah, I've always taken the subtext of the Birther movement to be, "The rules don't count here! This is different! HE'S BLACK! BLACK, I SAY! ARE YOU ALL BLIND!?

- Raw Shark

Destiny and fate are for those too weak to forge their own futures. Where we are 'supposed' to be is irrelevent.

- SirNitram (RIP)
Mr Bean
Lord of Irony

Re: Thor: Ragnarok Teaser Trailer

Post by Mr Bean »

He's a friend from work ahhh good line to end on.

"A cult is a religion with no political power." -Tom Wolfe
Pardon me for sounding like a dick, but I'm playing the tiniest violin in the world right now-Dalton
Khaat
Jedi Master

Post by Khaat »

Maybe could have done without the reveal on Mjolnir: cut that short (with Hela "catching" it, but cut before the 'splosion and bits hitting the ground.)

Watched the first two Thor movies this weekend, and the second was definitely missing the (Thor) humor of the first. Glad to see they realized this and (appear to have) fixed it!

edit: to clarify
Rule #1: Believe the autocrat. He means what he says.
Rule #2: Do not be taken in by small signs of normality.
Rule #3: Institutions will not save you.
Rule #4: Be outraged.
Rule #5: Don’t make compromises.
ANGELUS
Padawan Learner

Post by ANGELUS »

So, with Asgard gone what will happen to the Tessaract? (not to mention the other bunch of super weapons they have in their vault). Will Hela get it? or maybe Thanos will simply show up to pick it up from the rubble? (Not the same situation as the Collector and the Aether, which I assume he still has on his power after his museum was destroyed but everything else is still standing... here it looks like Asgard is completely wiped out).

Could Hela have the last Infinity Stone (the Soul Stone)? it would make sense... since she deals with the souls of the dead and stuff...

By the way, Cate Blanchett looks hot as Hela.
~ Some men just want to watch the world burn ~
Khaat
Jedi Master

Post by Khaat »

So in the comics, Thanos is trying to win over Lady Death. Could the MCU just be short-cutting that to be Hela?
ANGELUS
Padawan Learner

Post by ANGELUS »

Khaat wrote:So in the comics, Thanos is trying to win over Lady Death. Could the MCU just be short-cutting that to be Hela?
Sounds feasible, but we don't know Thanos' actual motivation on the MCU. He could simply be a megalomaniac that wants to take over the universe or something. All we have so far is a mention from Thanos' minion at the end of The Avengers saying that to fight them would be "to court death" and then Thanos smirking.

I mean... it could be, but we still need more information.
Iroscato
Jedi Council Member

Post by Iroscato »

ANGELUS wrote:So, with Asgard gone what will happen to the Tessaract? (not to mention the other bunch of super weapons they have in their vault). Will Hela get it? or maybe Thanos will simply show up to pick it up from the rubble? (Not the same situation as the Collector and the Aether, which I assume he still has on his power after his museum was destroyed but everything else is still standing... here it looks like Asgard is completely wiped out).

Could Hela have the last Infinity Stone (the Soul Stone)? it would make sense... since she deals with the souls of the dead and stuff...

By the way, Cate Blanchett looks hot as Hela.
From what I gather, this will almost directly lead into Infinity War (since it's out in like a year (OMG YES CAN'T FUCKING WAIT GIT HYPE etc etc)), so the above may possibly more or less happen. We're in the home stretch now, the beginning of the end so to speak.

Also yes. Yes she does.
Yeah, I've always taken the subtext of the Birther movement to be, "The rules don't count here! This is different! HE'S BLACK! BLACK, I SAY! ARE YOU ALL BLIND!?

- Raw Shark

Destiny and fate are for those too weak to forge their own futures. Where we are 'supposed' to be is irrelevent.

- SirNitram (RIP)
mr friendly guy
The Doctor
Location: In a 1960s police telephone box somewhere in Australia

Post by mr friendly guy »

Khaat wrote:So in the comics, Thanos is trying to win over Lady Death. Could the MCU just be short-cutting that to be Hela?
In the comics Thanos just made out with Hela, as a substitute for death, so.... Hey I didn't read it, I just watch youtube videos summarising it.
Never apologise for being a geek, because they won't apologise to you for being an arsehole. John Barrowman - 22 June 2014 Perth Supernova.

Countries I have been to - 14.
Australia, Canada, China, Colombia, Denmark, Ecuador, Finland, Germany, Malaysia, Netherlands, Norway, Singapore, Sweden, USA.
Always on the lookout for more nice places to visit.
Shroom Man 777
FUCKING DICK-STABBER!

Post by Shroom Man 777 »

I like the very Kirbyesque gladiator gear. You can say it makes me very glad.
Image "DO YOU WORSHIP HOMOSEXUALS?" - Curtis Saxton (source)
shroom is a lovely boy and i wont hear a bad word against him - LUSY-CHAN!
Shit! Man, I didn't think of that! It took Shroom to properly interpret the screams of dying people :D - PeZook
Shroom, I read out the stuff you write about us. You are an endless supply of morale down here. :p - an OWS street medic
Pink Sugar Heart Attack!
mr friendly guy
The Doctor
Location: In a 1960s police telephone box somewhere in Australia

Post by mr friendly guy »

Watched the trailer again. They seem to be taking bits and pieces from various storylines eg Planet Hulk (for the arena battle), Thor losing Mjolnir and having that hair cut (Unworthy Thor) etc and putting them together to create a story which will serve as part of the overarching arc for infinity war. Hopefully it works.
Never apologise for being a geek, because they won't apologise to you for being an arsehole. John Barrowman - 22 June 2014 Perth Supernova.

Countries I have been to - 14.
Australia, Canada, China, Colombia, Denmark, Ecuador, Finland, Germany, Malaysia, Netherlands, Norway, Singapore, Sweden, USA.
Always on the lookout for more nice places to visit.
amigocabal
Jedi Knight

Post by amigocabal »

Did anyone catch Jeff Goldblum (Det. Nichols from Law & Order: Criminal Intent) in the trailer?
Iroscato
Jedi Council Member

Post by Iroscato »

amigocabal wrote:Did anyone catch Jeff Goldblum (Det. Nichols from Law & Order: Criminal Intent) in the trailer?
Uhh...he's been in a couple other things aside from that. You might want to check his filmography :P

- Raw Shark

- SirNitram (RIP)
Tsyroc
Emperor's Hand

Post by Tsyroc »

So Led Zeppelin in this trailer and the one for the new King Arthur movie. Not that it isn't cool, but they used to be notorious for not letting their music be used for just about anything.
By the pricking of my thumb,
Something wicked this way comes.
Open, locks,
Whoever knocks.
Khaat
Jedi Master

Post by Khaat »

Yes, it was a big deal when Jack Black talked them into letting him use Immigrant Song in School of Rock.

Then one of the Shrek movies shit all over it.
Napoleon the Clown
Jedi Council Member

Post by Napoleon the Clown »

amigocabal wrote:Did anyone catch Jeff Goldblum (Det. Nichols from Law & Order: Criminal Intent) in the trailer?
I, uh, I didn't notice his, um, presence. In the trailer. He, uh, he wasn't very, um, noticeable. He's ahhhh... pretty low-key and flies a bit under the, uh, the radar. Not distinctive or memorable, uh, at all.

Of course everyone noticed him. He's one of the most recognizable actors today. Are you taking the piss here?
Sig images are for people who aren't fucking lazy.
Bedlam
Jedi Master

Post by Bedlam »

Its always hard to tell from a trailer but it looks maybe rather to busy. My understanding is that no Hulk film is due any time soon so are they going to get into the planet hulk back story at all or will he be more of a cameo with little explanation?

Loki has a shot but for all we know that's all of his screen time and again its more or less a cameo.

No sign of Odin.

It even looks like there's the death of Skurge the Executioner at Gjallerbu in there, which makes sense given Hella's there and it does look like Ragnarok but will it manage to fit in the background needed to show the full weight of that scene?
ANGELUS
Padawan Learner

Post by ANGELUS »

He's playing The Grandmaster, one of The Elders of the universe. Sibling to The Collector (Benicio del Toro's character).
Iroscato
Jedi Council Member

Post by Iroscato »

Bedlam wrote:Its always hard to tell from a trailer but it looks maybe rather to busy. My understanding is that no Hulk film is due any time soon so are they going to get into the planet hulk back story at all or will he be more of a cameo with little explanation?

Loki has a shot but for all we know that's all of his screen time and again its more or less a cameo.

No sign of Odin.

It even looks like there's the death of Skurge the Executioner at Gjallerbu in there, which makes sense given Hella's there and it does look like Ragnarok but will it manage to fit in the background needed to show the full weight of that scene?
WRT to Hulk, from what I understand the rights to an actual solo movie are tangled up with Universal who are being less than forthcoming about making one. Therefore, the first part of the MCU's version of Planet/World War Hulk will be told in Thor, and most likely resolved at the beginning of Infinity War.

- Raw Shark

- SirNitram (RIP)
Broomstick
Emperor's Hand

Post by Broomstick »

Napoleon the Clown wrote:Of course everyone noticed him. He's one of the most recognizable actors today. Are you taking the piss here?
Actually... I had to watch the trailer 3 times before I spotted Goldblum.
A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. Leonard Nimoy.

Now I did a job. I got nothing but trouble since I did it, not to mention more than a few unkind words as regard to my character so let me make this abundantly clear. I do the job. And then I get paid.- Malcolm Reynolds, Captain of Serenity, which sums up my feelings regarding the lawsuit discussed here.

If a free society cannot help the many who are poor, it cannot save the few who are rich. - John F. Kennedy

Sam Vimes Theory of Economic Injustice
Iroscato
Jedi Council Member

Post by Iroscato »

Broomstick wrote:
Napoleon the Clown wrote:Of course everyone noticed him. He's one of the most recognizable actors today. Are you taking the piss here?
It's alright, you're getting old. It happens :D

- Raw Shark

- SirNitram (RIP)
Napoleon the Clown
Jedi Council Member

Post by Napoleon the Clown »

Broomstick wrote:
Given recent events, I imagine you've been a little distracted.
Sig images are for people who aren't fucking lazy.
The Cooler King
Padawan Learner

Post by The Cooler King »

This fills me with joy. I do worry, as Bedlam mentioned, that they won't give the scene the gravitas it needs to work properly.
I don't like being a bastard, but they leave me no choice.

-Marshal Law, "The Hateful Dead"
FaxModem1
Emperor's Hand

Post by FaxModem1 »

So, does this mean that there's going to be a huge sideplot in Thor 3 about the Marvel Illuminati exiling Hulk? Or since the MCU is structured differently, General Ross doing so?
Iroscato
Jedi Council Member

Post by Iroscato »

FaxModem1 wrote:So, does this mean that there's going to be a huge sideplot in Thor 3 about the Marvel Illuminati exiling Hulk? Or since the MCU is structured differently, General Ross doing so?
I doubt it, there's no viable way they could rush the formation of the Illuminati within the MCU, and Ross seems to have moved onto "better" things since the '08 Hulk movie.
More likely, the Grandmaster's underlings detected an awesomely strong warrior's presence in orbit of Earth (Hulk in the Quinjet at LEO) and decided to nab him for their boss.

That's how I could see it playing out anyway - if they explain it at all.

- Raw Shark

- SirNitram (RIP)
Q99
Jedi Council Member

Post by Q99 »

Goldblum didn't have many lines and did have makeup, so I didn't recognize him at first either.

For Skurge, I do wonder if he's going to have his 'last stand' here or if this is merely his introduction movie.

That said, this trailer was incredible! I don't remember the last time one got me so hyped!

Cate Blanchett nails Hela, and the whole movie looks like they've gone Full Kirby in a way I don't think any superhero move has.

We've come a long way from the late 90s where you could do a superhero movie but had to dress everyone in leather, to the 00s where you could do a superhero movie weird costumes and all, and now, this!