A question about the Earth-Romulan War

PST: discuss Star Trek without "versus" arguments.

Moderator: Vympel

Lord Revan
Emperor's Hand

A question about the Earth-Romulan War

Post by Lord Revan »

Has there ever been a more precise dates for the start and end of the Earth-Romulan War then the 2156-2160 from the ENT mirror verse Episodes (the dates came from databanks of the Primeverse USS Defiant, the TOS one that is not Sisko's ship, so they're canon as far as I know)?
I may be an idiot, but I'm a tolerated idiot
"I think you completely missed the point of sigs. They're supposed to be completely homegrown in the fertile hydroponics lab of your mind, dried in your closet, rolled, and smoked...
Oh wait, that's marijuana..."Einhander Sn0m4n
Q99
Jedi Council Member

Re: A question about the Earth-Romulan War

Post by Q99 »

I don't think so. Not expanding upon the E-R war was one of the big missed opportunities of Enterprise.

I think about the only thing that has fleshed it out is the Starfleet Battles universe.
Lord Revan
Emperor's Hand

Post by Lord Revan »

Q99 wrote:I don't think so. Not expanding upon the E-R war was one of the big missed opportunities of Enterprise.

I think about the only thing that has fleshed it out is the Starfleet Battles universe.
As a personal opinion what role do you think the NX and the ENT BoP (T'Varo in STO) played during the Earth Romulan War, personally I'd see those as the heavy hitters of the fleet as I could see the NXs being the only (or at least one of the few) Earth ships built with phase cannons and photon(ic) torpedos, while most Earth ships would have easier to make laser/plasma weapons and cyclonic Missiles (aka fusion based nukes) to keep up what Spock said in "Balance of Terror" after all he didn't say that Earth didn't have phasers just implied that they weren't common (come to think of it I don't recall if Spock mentioned lasers at all or if that's fanon). As for the BoP it's an iconic romulan ship (even if the ENT version isn't iconic in and of itself) so having it be in similar role to the NX seems fitting to me.
"I think you completely missed the point of sigs. They're supposed to be completely homegrown in the fertile hydroponics lab of your mind, dried in your closet, rolled, and smoked...
Knife
Emperor's Hand

Post by Knife »

Meh, I have my own head cannon for it. ST ENT has nothing to do with it. It really sucked on that front, and many others to the point I don't recognize ST ENT as back story to the Star Trek universe.

It was B&B blatant and horrific attempt to write the OT out of existence and pretend their abortion was the original to STNG.
They say, "the tree of liberty must be watered with the blood of tyrants and patriots." I suppose it never occurred to them that they are the tyrants, not the patriots. Those weapons are not being used to fight some kind of tyranny; they are bringing them to an event where people are getting together to talk. -Mike Wong

But as far as board culture in general, I do think that young male overaggression is a contributing factor to the general atmosphere of hostility. It's not SOS and the Mess throwing hand grenades all over the forum- Red
Lord Revan
Emperor's Hand

Post by Lord Revan »

Honestly that was only season 1-2 of ENT, Season 3 had little to no breaking of pre-existing story elements and season 4 was mostly damage control over the things from first 2 seasons, Personally I think that season 1-3 of ENT were a temporal "glitch" that was fixed thanks to the events of "Stormfront" that way you can retain the decent stories of seasons 3 and 4 but can safely ditch the mostly crap seasons 1 and 2.
Q99
Jedi Council Member

Post by Q99 »

Lord Revan wrote: As a personal opinion what role do you think the NX and the ENT BoP (T'Varo in STO) played during the Earth Romulan War, personally I'd see those as the heavy hitters of the fleet as I could see the NXs being the only (or at least one of the few) Earth ships built with phase cannons and photon(ic) torpedos, while most Earth ships would have easier to make laser/plasma weapons and cyclonic Missiles (aka fusion based nukes) to keep up what Spock said in "Balance of Terror" after all he didn't say that Earth didn't have phasers just implied that they weren't common (come to think of it I don't recall if Spock mentioned lasers at all or if that's fanon). As for the BoP it's an iconic romulan ship (even if the ENT version isn't iconic in and of itself) so having it be in similar role to the NX seems fitting to me.
I imagine Spock is making a distinction between phase cannons and phasers if that did come up. Personally I don't think it's the only ship in that weight class but, yea, at the time of the war true Starships (TOS notably had a distinction between Starship and Spaceship- the latter were common, slow, and low power, the former was ships like the Enterprise) would be uncommon and pitched battles between them would be major events in the war.
FedRebel
Jedi Master

Post by FedRebel »

Lord Revan wrote: As a personal opinion what role do you think the NX and the ENT BoP (T'Varo in STO) played during the Earth Romulan War, personally I'd see those as the heavy hitters of the fleet as I could see the NXs being the only (or at least one of the few) Earth ships built with phase cannons and photon(ic) torpedos, while most Earth ships would have easier to make laser/plasma weapons and cyclonic Missiles (aka fusion based nukes) to keep up what Spock said in "Balance of Terror" after all he didn't say that Earth didn't have phasers just implied that they weren't common (come to think of it I don't recall if Spock mentioned lasers at all or if that's fanon). As for the BoP it's an iconic romulan ship (even if the ENT version isn't iconic in and of itself) so having it be in similar role to the NX seems fitting to me.
[/quote]

There is an earth "military" that ENT failed to explore beyond the MACO's.

I would imagine that there is a separate Earth Defense Force...but until Season 4 the Vulcan's very strictly limited it to in-system defense and low warp capability. On that I would muse that there is an "NCC Class" which is a military variant of the NX (ie. the Avenger), armed with Particle-Gamma lasers and Colbat-60 Casaba-Howitzer torpedoes. "Primitive" and "crude" but effective, the NCC's were restricted to Warp 1.5 until the Vulcan's withdrew, requiring warpcoil and core overhaul to make warp 5.

The NX's themselves, 6-7 'firm' hulls in total, assuming Space Shuttle theme (including the Soviet Buran)
NX-01 - Enterprise
NX-02 - Columbia
NX-03 - Discovery
NX-04 - Atlantis
NX-05 - Endeavour
NX-06 - Challenger
NX-07 - Buran

I imagine Starfleet had an 'option' for five more (the unflightworthy replicas)...but those got converted into "NCC Class" because of the Earth-Romulan War...and begat the 'NX = Protoype, NCC = Production' standard that Starfleet utilizes post war.
Zor
Sith Acolyte

Post by Zor »

Knife wrote:Meh, I have my own head cannon for it. ST ENT has nothing to do with it. It really sucked on that front, and many others to the point I don't recognize ST ENT as back story to the Star Trek universe.
It's still canon though.

Zor
HAIL ZOR! WE'LL BLOW UP THE OCEAN!
Heros of Cybertron-HAB-Keeper of the Vicious pit of Allosauruses-King Leighton-I, United Kingdom of Zoria: SD.net World/Tsar Mikhail-I of the Red Tsardom: SD.net Kingdoms
WHEN ALL HELL BREAKS LOOSE ON EARTH, ALL EARTH BREAKS LOOSE ON HELL
http://zortropolis.myminicity.com/
http://zortropolis.myminicity.com/ind
http://zortropolis.myminicity.com/tra
Terran Sphere
The Art of Zor
Crazedwraith
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crazedwraith »

Zor wrote:
Knife wrote:Meh, I have my own head cannon for it. ST ENT has nothing to do with it. It really sucked on that front, and many others to the point I don't recognize ST ENT as back story to the Star Trek universe.
It's still canon though.

Zor
Beyond makes that statement both stronger and more nebulous. I just started a thread about it actually...