Lizard guys in Stove Suits

FAN: Discuss various fictional worlds that don't qualify for SF.

Moderator: Steve

Zor
Sith Acolyte

Lizard guys in Stove Suits

Post by Zor »

An idea I had bouncing about my head put down in image form...
This fellow is a sapient reptile in a civilization about as advanced as the Renaissance. He lives on the Southern frontier of his empire, in which for three months every year the temperature usually falls below zero, water freezes and snow falls from the sky. Most of these exothermic people on this southern frontier spend the winter months in hibernation, locked in their cellars. Even so a smattering of individuals remain awake: nobles, scribes, warriors and a few artisans, workers and ranchers who spend the cold months in heavily insulated buildings kept warm with heavy furnaces. Even so, occasionally they need to venture out to defend against wildlife or primitive mammalian tribals smart enough to make use of simple tools and weapons. To prevent them from going into torper in the chill, these reptiles wear Stove Suits. Heavy garments of leather and canvas with small cast iron stoves to produce heat, distributed around the body with canvas tubes. While bulky, they can maintain an internal temperature of 20-30 degrees and allow them to function even when the snow is deep.

Zor
HAIL ZOR! WE'LL BLOW UP THE OCEAN!
Heros of Cybertron-HAB-Keeper of the Vicious pit of Allosauruses-King Leighton-I, United Kingdom of Zoria: SD.net World/Tsar Mikhail-I of the Red Tsardom: SD.net Kingdoms
WHEN ALL HELL BREAKS LOOSE ON EARTH, ALL EARTH BREAKS LOOSE ON HELL
http://zortropolis.myminicity.com/
http://zortropolis.myminicity.com/ind
http://zortropolis.myminicity.com/tra
Terran Sphere
The Art of Zor
Zixinus
Emperor's Hand

Re: Lizard guys in Stove Suits

Post by Zixinus »

Would it be able to heat incoming air? Otherwise breathing would constantly cool them too, wouldn't it?
Credo!
Chat with me on Skype if you want to talk about writing, ideas or if you want a test-reader! PM for address.
Zor
Sith Acolyte

Post by Zor »

Zixinus wrote:Would it be able to heat incoming air? Otherwise breathing would constantly cool them too, wouldn't it?
That's what the nose thing is for.

Zor
Heros of Cybertron-HAB-Keeper of the Vicious pit of Allosauruses-King Leighton-I, United Kingdom of Zoria: SD.net World/Tsar Mikhail-I of the Red Tsardom: SD.net Kingdoms
Terran Sphere
The Art of Zor
Darth Tanner
Jedi Master

Post by Darth Tanner »

I don't think you could carry enough fuel for it to be useful on that design. Unless they are not intended to be out for long or are moving with large wagons on fuel they would run out and freeze pretty quickly.
Get busy living or get busy dying... unless there’s cake.
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

Basically, I'm sure you COULD build heavily insulated suits at that technology level, that use braziers (or just big hot rocks or hot water bottles, serving as the opposite of a heat sink in effect) to retain a bit more mobility and survivability in freezing weather for cold-blooded creatures.

But it'd be awkward as hell and it would only get you so far. Basically, it's the kind of thing you put on so you can go out to the woodshed and pick up the next load of firewood without freezing to death, not the thing you could live in or perform serious labor in.
This space dedicated to Vasily Arkhipov
Shroom Man 777
FUCKING DICK-STABBER!

Post by Shroom Man 777 »

They could wear selectively-bred mammals that are made into living-clothing.

Imagine an exothermic LIZARD MAN wearing a coat of... living, warm ferrets domesticated so that they will calmly allow themselves to be placed in strategic pouches of some fur coat to provide warmth to the lizard-wearer! A lizard warrior whose ENORMOUS SHOULDER PADS actually are hollow and contain pug-like creatures that generate heat to keep him warm!

There can be more biopunk options where through NATURAL PHILOSOPHY these profane Lizard Mans can actually STITCH TOGETHER live ferrets into some kind of ferrety version of the human centipede... remove their limbs and tails and just turn them into actual horrific living, pulsating clothing. Like feathered boas. Breed ferrets and other mammals into ridiculous shapes that can be worn... like an inbred mutant flying squirrel that can be spread out worn as a shirt. Flying squirrels selectively inbred to become living, terrestrial, furry flatfish-like things... living, furry pancake rays.

Use ether during the surgerization process. Some kind of horrific lobotomization so the LIZARD MAN will be wearing grotesque drooling brain-dead ferret/squirrel-garbs that, when unneeded... can be taken back to the quartermaster who can feed these poor wretched creatures using droppers! My goodness... yes. Kennels will double as wardrobes!

Imagine fighting a LIZARD MAN with such an attire! You stab through his armor and impale the mutated beaver he is wearing on his tunic. The creature emits screeches, for despite its brainlessness it can still feel pain! Blood and bile spew out of it! The attacker is unaware if it is the worn-creature's or the LIZARD MAN's!

UUUULLLLLLLLLLUUUUUUEEEEERRRRRGGGGGHHHHHHH!!!!!
Image "DO YOU WORSHIP HOMOSEXUALS?" - Curtis Saxton (source)
shroom is a lovely boy and i wont hear a bad word against him - LUSY-CHAN!
Shit! Man, I didn't think of that! It took Shroom to properly interpret the screams of dying people :D - PeZook
Shroom, I read out the stuff you write about us. You are an endless supply of morale down here. :p - an OWS street medic
Pink Sugar Heart Attack!
MKSheppard
Ruthless Genocidal Warmonger
Ruthless Genocidal Warmonger

Post by MKSheppard »

Hey, thanks for making Harry Turtledove's Lizards!
"If scientists and inventors who develop disease cures and useful technologies don't get lifetime royalties, I'd like to know what fucking rationale you have for some guy getting lifetime royalties for writing an episode of Full House." - Mike Wong

"The present air situation in the Pacific is entirely the result of fighting a fifth rate air power." - U.S. Navy Memo - 24 July 1944
Zor
Sith Acolyte

Post by Zor »

Interestingly enough there was a culture in Northern India which made use of ceramic jars full of hot coals for warmth under their clothing in winter. Mind you those jars did tend to give their users cancer in the Long Term. Then again they did not contrive little smokestacks on their back.

Zor
Terran Sphere
The Art of Zor
edaw1982
Padawan Learner

Post by edaw1982 »

Shroom Man 777 wrote:They could wear selectively-bred mammals that are made into living-clothing.

Imagine an exothermic LIZARD MAN wearing a coat of... living, warm ferrets domesticated so that they will calmly allow themselves to be placed in strategic pouches of some fur coat to provide warmth to the lizard-wearer! A lizard warrior whose ENORMOUS SHOULDER PADS actually are hollow and contain pug-like creatures that generate heat to keep him warm!

There can be more biopunk options where through NATURAL PHILOSOPHY these profane Lizard Mans can actually STITCH TOGETHER live ferrets into some kind of ferrety version of the human centipede... remove their limbs and tails and just turn them into actual horrific living, pulsating clothing. Like feathered boas. Breed ferrets and other mammals into ridiculous shapes that can be worn... like an inbred mutant flying squirrel that can be spread out worn as a shirt. Flying squirrels selectively inbred to become living, terrestrial, furry flatfish-like things... living, furry pancake rays.

Use ether during the surgerization process. Some kind of horrific lobotomization so the LIZARD MAN will be wearing grotesque drooling brain-dead ferret/squirrel-garbs that, when unneeded... can be taken back to the quartermaster who can feed these poor wretched creatures using droppers! My goodness... yes. Kennels will double as wardrobes!

Imagine fighting a LIZARD MAN with such an attire! You stab through his armor and impale the mutated beaver he is wearing on his tunic. The creature emits screeches, for despite its brainlessness it can still feel pain! Blood and bile spew out of it! The attacker is unaware if it is the worn-creature's or the LIZARD MAN's!

UUUULLLLLLLLLLUUUUUUEEEEERRRRRGGGGGHHHHHHH!!!!!
I'm not sure whether to be amused, impressed or horrified.
"Put book front and center. He's our friend, we should honour him. Kaylee, find that kid who's taking a dirt-nap with baby Jesus. We need a hood ornment. Jayne! Try not to steal too much of their sh*t!"
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

This is a common response to Shroomposts.

I for one am glad he's back.
This space dedicated to Vasily Arkhipov