SF Short Writing Challenge Discussion and Voting.

UF: Stories written by users, both fanfics and original.

Moderator: LadyTevar

Winner:

"It's Funny Until Someone Loses An Eye", by Korto.
13%
"Sic Semper Tyrannis", by Stewart M.
25%
"Greenbacks", by madd0ct0r.
No votes
"Broken Paradigm", by Khaat.
No votes
"Empyrean", by Alferd Packer.
13%
"The First Principle of Magic", by GrandMasterTerwynn.
25%
"The Belter's Ballad", by madd0ct0r.
25%
"Vigilant", by The Romulan Republic.
No votes
"First Glimpse", by Crazedwraith.
No votes

Total votes: 8

The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

SF Short Writing Challenge Discussion and Voting.

Post by The Romulan Republic »

This is the voting thread for my short story writing competition, since its too late to add a poll to the original thread.

Poll will be open until Midnight (Eastern time) on the 24th. of February.

Link to the story thread: https://bbs.stardestroyer.net/viewtopic ... 9&t=165991
"I know its easy to be defeatist here because nothing has seemingly reigned Trump in so far. But I will say this: every asshole succeeds until finally, they don't. Again, 18 months before he resigned, Nixon had a sky-high approval rating of 67%. Harvey Weinstein was winning Oscars until one day, he definitely wasn't."-John Oliver

"The greatest enemy of a good plan is the dream of a perfect plan."-General Von Clauswitz, describing my opinion of Bernie or Busters and third partiers in a nutshell.

I SUPPORT A NATIONAL GENERAL STRIKE TO REMOVE TRUMP FROM OFFICE.
Crazedwraith
Emperor's Hand

Re: SF Short Writing Challenge Discussion and Voting.

Post by Crazedwraith »

I imagine 'don't vote for your own fic' would be a good rule?
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Agreed. It would be rather in poor taste.

Also, I forgot to add a time limit to the poll. My bad. I will post a tally of the votes after the 24th. and none cast after that will be counted.
"I know its easy to be defeatist here because nothing has seemingly reigned Trump in so far. But I will say this: every asshole succeeds until finally, they don't. Again, 18 months before he resigned, Nixon had a sky-high approval rating of 67%. Harvey Weinstein was winning Oscars until one day, he definitely wasn't."-John Oliver

"The greatest enemy of a good plan is the dream of a perfect plan."-General Von Clauswitz, describing my opinion of Bernie or Busters and third partiers in a nutshell.

LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

I gave you a 10-day poll limit. Hope it's enough
Nitram, slightly high on cough syrup: Do you know you're beautiful?
Me: Nope, that's why I have you around to tell me.
Nitram: You -are- beautiful. Anyone tries to tell you otherwise kill them.

"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP" -- Leonard Nimoy, last Tweet
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

More than enough. I had intended to set it at a week, but given the slow rate of voting, and the time it may take some to read the stories, your's may be better.

Thanks for fixing that oversight on my part.

LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

The Romulan Republic wrote:More than enough. I had intended to set it at a week, but given the slow rate of voting, and the time it may take some to read the stories, your's may be better.

Thanks for fixing that oversight on my part.
NP. Just sorry I couldn't get my story down to 500 words without losing too much plot
Nitram, slightly high on cough syrup: Do you know you're beautiful?
Me: Nope, that's why I have you around to tell me.
Nitram: You -are- beautiful. Anyone tries to tell you otherwise kill them.

"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP" -- Leonard Nimoy, last Tweet
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Its tough. My story lost an entire scene/location, in addition to various more minor tweaks, to fit the word limit.

Alferd Packer
Sith Marauder

Post by Alferd Packer »

Well, I found it a satisfying task, in all, and I really enjoyed the other entries. Arbitrary restrictions on your writing style force you flex your writing muscles, for want of a better term. I mean, I could've written a 5,000 word short story on my subject, but would that have made it better? Maybe, maybe not. But it was cool to see how everyone else dealt with the word limit, and how that compared to mine.
"There is a principle which is a bar against all information, which is proof against all arguments and which cannot fail to keep a man in everlasting ignorance--that principle is contempt prior to investigation." -Herbert Spencer

"Against stupidity the gods themselves contend in vain." - Schiller, Die Jungfrau von Orleans, III vi.
madd0ct0r
Sith Acolyte

Post by madd0ct0r »

Link to the thread with stories in it http://bbs.stardestroyer.net/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=165991
"Aid, trade, green technology and peace." - Hans Rosling.
"Welcome to SDN, where we can't see the forest because walking into trees repeatedly feels good, bro." - Mr Coffee
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Is the OP link not working?

madd0ct0r
Sith Acolyte

Post by madd0ct0r »

I'm blinded by my own hubris.

And it goes off the side of my phone screen...

Link is in the op people! Nothing to see here.
"Aid, trade, green technology and peace." - Hans Rosling.
"Welcome to SDN, where we can't see the forest because walking into trees repeatedly feels good, bro." - Mr Coffee
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

So I take it the poll time limit has expired.

In that case, I hear by proclaim the winner of the first SF Short Writing Challenge a tie between "Sic Semper Tyrannis", by Stewart M, and "The First Principle of Magic", by GrandMasterTerwynn.

Thanks to everyone who participated. We got some good stories out of it.