Something big

View original artwork, poems, etc. that have been created by this forum's members.

Moderator: Beowulf

Iroscato
Jedi Council Member

Re: Something big

Post by Iroscato »

^ Majestic as fuck.
Yeah, I've always taken the subtext of the Birther movement to be, "The rules don't count here! This is different! HE'S BLACK! BLACK, I SAY! ARE YOU ALL BLIND!?

- Raw Shark

Destiny and fate are for those too weak to forge their own futures. Where we are 'supposed' to be is irrelevent.

- SirNitram (RIP)
Galvatron
Decepticon Leader

Post by Galvatron »

fractalsponge1 wrote:This thing is 8km, exact, right now.
Could this be the elusive Super-class from the old EU? :)
Shroom Man 777
FUCKING DICK-STABBER!

Post by Shroom Man 777 »

Super-class. Jesus who writes that crap.
Image "DO YOU WORSHIP HOMOSEXUALS?" - Curtis Saxton (source)
shroom is a lovely boy and i wont hear a bad word against him - LUSY-CHAN!
Shit! Man, I didn't think of that! It took Shroom to properly interpret the screams of dying people :D - PeZook
Shroom, I read out the stuff you write about us. You are an endless supply of morale down here. :p - an OWS street medic
Pink Sugar Heart Attack!
Galvatron
Decepticon Leader

Post by Galvatron »

Shroom Man 777 wrote:Super-class. Jesus who writes that crap.
For your reading pleasure, Dash...

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Super-cl ... _Destroyer
fractalsponge1
Jedi Council Member

Post by fractalsponge1 »

Most recent commissioned piece. Mandalorian gunship/dropship.

fractalsponge1
Jedi Council Member

Post by fractalsponge1 »

Galvatron wrote:
Well, yes. As much as I hate that name, this could easily be whatever ship spawned it, especially since it's clearly supposed to be in the Executor design lineage to begin with.
Galvatron
Decepticon Leader

Post by Galvatron »

fractalsponge1 wrote:
Galvatron wrote:
Well, yes. As much as I hate that name, this could easily be whatever ship spawned it, especially since it's clearly supposed to be in the Executor design lineage to begin with.
How about Superior-class or something else with "super" in it as a nod to the original just like the design itself? :)
Scottish Ninja
Jedi Knight

Post by Scottish Ninja »

Maybe something like "Superbus"? It doesn't quite match the -or endings you've mostly been going for, but I like the way the Latin meaning shakes out - in one sense magnificent, in the other arrogant, which seems deeply fitting for an Imperial warship.

Also we'd be able to make jokes about taking a ride on the superbus. :P
"If the flight succeeds, you swipe an absurd amount of prestige for a single mission. Heroes of the Zenobian Onion will literally rain upon you." - PeZook
"If the capsule explodes, heroes of the Zenobian Onion will still rain upon us. Literally!" - Shroom
Cosmonaut Ivan Ivanovich Ivanov (deceased, rain), Cosmonaut Petr Petrovich Petrov, Unnamed MASA Engineer, and Unnamed Zenobian Engineerski in Let's play: BARIS
Captain, MFS Robber Baron, PRFYNAFBTFC - "Absolute Corruption Powers Absolutely"
Shroom Man 777
FUCKING DICK-STABBER!

Post by Shroom Man 777 »

Supernal.

Superlative.

Superb.

Superiority

Or you can go with something out of a Japanese anime or videogame.

Supercriticality!

SUPERFLY

Superslammer

Supernova

SUPERSEDER!

Supervisor? It does have advanced sensory capabilities :D

SUPERVENIENCE - this word makes no sense, so it's perfect for the enhanced 2nd edition of a HIDEO KOJIMA GAME. Like Metal Gear Solid 2: Substance or Metal Gear Solid 3: Subsistence or SUPERSUBSTINENCE!
Image "DO YOU WORSHIP HOMOSEXUALS?" - Curtis Saxton (source)
shroom is a lovely boy and i wont hear a bad word against him - LUSY-CHAN!
Shit! Man, I didn't think of that! It took Shroom to properly interpret the screams of dying people :D - PeZook
Shroom, I read out the stuff you write about us. You are an endless supply of morale down here. :p - an OWS street medic
Pink Sugar Heart Attack!
The_Saint
Jedi Knight

Post by The_Saint »

fractalsponge1 wrote:
Galvatron wrote:

I could buy Imperial ship architects designing a 'Super Star Destroyer' and then scaling that design up or down and then selling the smaller design to the oversight committee.

If it's similar enough in design features that parts orders match (in type if not quantity) and even a partial hulk is visually similar, you can bait and switch your bigger ship for the smaller ship without anyone from oversight 'noticing'.
All people are equal but some people are more equal than others.
fractalsponge1
Jedi Council Member

Post by fractalsponge1 »

Lord Revan
Emperor's Hand

Post by Lord Revan »

What's that turbine looking thing near the big globe?
I may be an idiot, but I'm a tolerated idiot
"I think you completely missed the point of sigs. They're supposed to be completely homegrown in the fertile hydroponics lab of your mind, dried in your closet, rolled, and smoked...
Oh wait, that's marijuana..."Einhander Sn0m4n
Abacus
Jedi Knight

Post by Abacus »

Seeing as how it look like it has the ability to project shields widely enough to even encompass other ships (let alone maybe even an entire fleet), why not call it something like:

Aegis-class

Contego-class

Clipeum-class

Aspida-class

Escudo-class

Ancile-class/Ancilia-class
"Does the walker choose the path, or the path the walker?"
Galvatron
Decepticon Leader

Post by Galvatron »

fractalsponge1 wrote:Most recent commissioned piece. Mandalorian gunship/dropship.
Nice! Is that about the same size as the Imperial LAAV/i?
Abacus
Jedi Knight

Post by Abacus »

Galvatron wrote:
fractalsponge1 wrote:Most recent commissioned piece. Mandalorian gunship/dropship.
Looks to be about half again or more larger than the LAAV/i...
fractalsponge1
Jedi Council Member

Post by fractalsponge1 »

Abacus wrote:Seeing as how it look like it has the ability to project shields widely enough to even encompass other ships (let alone maybe even an entire fleet), why not call it something like:
Why do you assume it can do that? And no, I don't actually want you to answer that question.
fractalsponge1
Jedi Council Member

Post by fractalsponge1 »

Abacus wrote:
Galvatron wrote:
Looks to be about half again or more larger than the LAAV/i...
The LAAV is 17.9m, so LAAT/DX9 sized. The mando ship is 46.16m long (including gun barrels) - putting it into assault transport territory for size.
fractalsponge1
Jedi Council Member

Post by fractalsponge1 »

Abacus
Jedi Knight

Post by Abacus »

fractalsponge1 wrote:
Why do you assume it can do that? And no, I don't actually want you to answer that question.
Headcanon is fun.
evillejedi
Padawan Learner

Post by evillejedi »

I feel like the forward dome needs a lot of piping and supports, maybe even to the point that there is no inset around the base. I'm really liking the rest of the cortex, the scanner dome just doesn't mesh in yet.

it really reminds me of this article
http://foxtrotalpha.jalopnik.com/these- ... 1594677657

I also think the hull needs something to break it up like open sections of the hull or multiple tiers, it just feels like it should be one of the mutant dark empire cruisers. Maybe an expeditionary deep space support cruiser or more in line with the article above some sort of fire control ship
fractalsponge1
Jedi Council Member

Post by fractalsponge1 »

evillejedi wrote:I feel like the forward dome needs a lot of piping and supports, maybe even to the point that there is no inset around the base. I'm really liking the rest of the cortex, the scanner dome just doesn't mesh in yet.

it really reminds me of this article
http://foxtrotalpha.jalopnik.com/these- ... 1594677657

I also think the hull needs something to break it up like open sections of the hull or multiple tiers, it just feels like it should be one of the mutant dark empire cruisers. Maybe an expeditionary deep space support cruiser or more in line with the article above some sort of fire control ship
I don't think it needs a huge amount of external supports - usually radomes are fairly light structures. I'm debating whether to make the surface polygonal or smooth with a light plating layer.

The reference for the ship has a flat hull surface. The Executor has a flat hull surface. That's not changing. I don't think it fits with any of the DE cruisers - too big, and very different hull form.

I think it could be a fire control ship, but it wouldn't be primarily that - it's too heavily armed and too large in its own right to have EW/comscan function be primary. It would be a natural flagship for lighter vessels though, or a divisional lead in a battle squadron.
Crossroads Inc.
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crossroads Inc. »

Hey Quick Question to Eville!
not to derail the thread..But.. I am curious what you have been up to? I know the thread is largely for Ansel, but I'd LOVE to see any new goodies you have been working on! :D
Praying is another way of doing nothing helpful
"Congratulations, you get a cookie. You almost got a fundamental English word correct." Pick
"Outlaw star has spaceships that punch eachother" Joviwan
Read "Tales From The Crossroads"!
Read "One Wrong Turn"!
The_Saint
Jedi Knight

Post by The_Saint »

With the sheer variety of star destroyer / star dreadnought designs and yet relative technological stasis I've always assumed the Imperial Navy procurement system had a very adhoc "I have this fleet and I want a star destroyer with these capabilities to go with it" manner so that you have a large selection of hull designs that are relatively 'equal' but different fit outs based on what the individual ship was planned for. (Rather than the bean counters going "fuck it, we'll just build another Imperator/Executer".

Outer Rim sector fleets will probably want something fast for sprints back and forth across the sector, Core Worlds speed less a priority as they're less likely to be going as far. Unknown Regions/Outer Rim, endurance (of supplies and maintenance) would be a priority. Maybe less fighters, more hyper-capable gunboats in the Rim, reverse in the Core...
All people are equal but some people are more equal than others.
Galvatron
Decepticon Leader

Post by Galvatron »

Abacus wrote:
fractalsponge1 wrote: Why do you assume it can do that? And no, I don't actually want you to answer that question.
Headcanon is fun.
What does your head canon tell you?
evillejedi
Padawan Learner

Post by evillejedi »

working on right now?

http://warlords.swrebellion.com/pgaller ... 74c-xx.png

not finished yet but under 10K tris