World of Tanks (new thread)

GEC: Discuss gaming, computers and electronics and venture into the bizarre world of STGODs.

Moderator: Thanas

Zwinmar
Jedi Master

Re: World of Tanks (new thread)

Post by Zwinmar »

The only tanks I seem to have any luck in is with the lights...well other than US, they are too damn big. Though thinking of just transferring over my 3 skill t20 crew to my stock bulldog as I suck at medium game play.

Maybe it is just tier VII medium play that sucks donkey balls, have the t20 and t43, and well the Centurion .33 accuracy my ass.

When in the mediums it feels like they are missing something, either damage or faster reload. WZ 131 just seems all around better to me than the above mediums
Malagar
Youngling

Post by Malagar »

Zwinmar wrote:WZ 131 just seems all around better to me than the above mediums
Of course it's better, the light tank match making means that it's effectively a tier 8 tank.
If you want to be fair to regular tier 7s you have to compare them to tier 6 lights.
Vendetta
Emperor's Hand

Post by Vendetta »

Tier 7 is a sad place for mediums though.

Most of the tier 7 mediums don't get significantly better firepower or armour than their tier 6 counterparts. Mostly they're still rolling 130-150 damage a shot. Tier 8 is the butter zone for mediums.

Meanwhile, the heavies really take the brakes off at tier 7, with the T29, Tiger, and IS all hitting the field.
Venator
Jedi Knight

Post by Venator »

Tier 7, for mediums, is just another tier 4 - tanks that are pretty good in some cases and downright excellent in others, but you're still just focused on how much better things are going to be, with more recognizable and modern tanks, one tier up.
Venator
Jedi Knight

Post by Venator »

I decided to pick up Tanks again a few days ago and caught the tail end of the Christmas event. I got the tier 5 Swedish TD 80% off, and have 60% off the VI and 50% off the VII waiting. Also scooped 3/4 of the available Swede female crew members for about 4-5 hours play.

The Ikv 63 (said tier V Swedish TD) is hilarious for someone who's played about 80% British tanks. Fast, tinfoil armour, and a derpgun that sorts all tanks into two categories - "things I can one-shot (seal clubbing T67s = FOOD)" and "things I can sort-of damage sometimes and hide from".
wautd
Emperor's Hand

Post by wautd »

Venator wrote:I decided to pick up Tanks again a few days ago and caught the tail end of the Christmas event. I got the tier 5 Swedish TD 80% off, and have 60% off the VI and 50% off the VII waiting. Also scooped 3/4 of the available Swede female crew members for about 4-5 hours play.

The Ikv 63 (said tier V Swedish TD) is hilarious for someone who's played about 80% British tanks. Fast, tinfoil armour, and a derpgun that sorts all tanks into two categories - "things I can one-shot (seal clubbing T67s = FOOD)" and "things I can sort-of damage sometimes and hide from".
I really dig both Swedish tank trees. Amaaaaaaaaazing gun depression and decent (medium/heavies) to fantistic mobility (TD's). I'm close to getting to Leo (but I'll keep the tier 6 for basically being a comet without the turret armor) and also got the tier 7 TD. Not really a truly bad tank in both lines for a change.
Venator
Jedi Knight

Post by Venator »

The gun depression (or effective gun depression, with siege mode, is ridiculous across the range. The Kranvagn's 12 degrees, plus the hilarious turret armour, is something else.

I haven't played as much (Subnautica new content), but I had a great game in my STA-2 last night. Learning to actually play support is my next challenge. The AMX CDC and heavies I've been grinding have inclined me to using way more aggressive initial placement than the STA can survive with any consistency.
Zwinmar
Jedi Master

Post by Zwinmar »

I can't understate how much I hate the tier V Swedish TD. The Lago was horrible stock, but once you got the upgrades it was pretty decent.
Just unlocked, but haven't bought (no cash) the tier 10 US turreted TD, my first unlocked, and finally got the WZ 132 and AMX 1390.
Venator
Jedi Knight

Post by Venator »

Zwinmar wrote:I can't understate how much I hate the tier V Swedish TD. The Lago was horrible stock, but once you got the upgrades it was pretty decent.
Just unlocked, but haven't bought (no cash) the tier 10 US turreted TD, my first unlocked, and finally got the WZ 132 and AMX 1390.
What kind of crew are you using on it? Derpguns suffer massively if you're not using 100% crew.

I love the Ikv 103 to bits, personally. The key, I find, is to load mostly HE and focus soft targets. The AP rounds can work wonders... situationally.

Once you get the the upgraded gun, hard targets become even more frustrating, but your effectiveness against medium armour and lighter goes way up.

I have a lot of Tier 8s and no 9s... I spread my development out a lot more than I arguably should have.

The WZ-132 is a fantastic knife fighter. The buffed top 100mm gun makes the 85mm pretty redundant, but till you get it it's a toss-up between 85 and 100mm options.
Venator
Jedi Knight

Post by Venator »

For example...

I took the hill with not much help from my team - the T-34 and Type T-34 were dumb enough to crest onto the hilltop after I took 70-80% of each of their HP as they were at the base and working their way up.

The KV-1 I shotgunned point-blank through the upper glacis on the move.
Venator
Jedi Knight

Post by Venator »

Error 404: Carry not found.

Zwinmar
Jedi Master

Post by Zwinmar »

First, what you using to post images.

Second, I'd rather not dick around in a low tier tank, the gameplay I find atrocious.
Venator
Jedi Knight

Post by Venator »

Zwinmar wrote:First, what you using to post images.

Second, I'd rather not dick around in a low tier tank, the gameplay I find atrocious.
Photobucket, personally.

And to each their own. Dat WN8 farming tho.
Zwinmar
Jedi Master

Post by Zwinmar »

Ty, btw, here you go I do occasionally have good games. :
Venator
Jedi Knight

Post by Venator »

Getting that many medals on a defeat always huuurts =\.

9.17.1 seems to be pretty content-heavy - new and heavily re-vamped German heavies in particular, and insane armour buffs for the likes of the Maus and Type 5 Heavy.

Not sure if that will encourage flanking or just ensure that corridors are even more unlivable.
Zwinmar
Jedi Master

Post by Zwinmar »

I'm not looking forward to the derp being brought past tier VI. Makes tanks with heavy armor even more useless than they already are. As it is, slow heavy tanks with low power to weight ratio just get screwed by the HE spam and this is going to make it much worse. Why have armor and go slow when you still take damage even when you play perfect.

It is even worse why you have that extra mass but it effectively does nothing for you other than slow you down, aka the t69 as an example.

I am looking forward to the buffs to the Cent. 1 though.
Venator
Jedi Knight

Post by Venator »

Zwinmar wrote:I am looking forward to the buffs to the Cent. 1 though.
The Cent I and 7/1 buffs are what will keep me playing WoT still now that I found MWO will run on this laptop.
Rogue 9
Scrapping TIEs since 1997

Post by Rogue 9 »

Decided to take my much-maligned meta tester tank out for a spin today, and lo, I am become death, destroyer of armor. :razz:

It's Rogue, not Rouge!

HAB | KotL | VRWC/ELC/CDA | TRotR | The Anti-Confederate | Sluggite | Gamer | Blogger | Staff Reporter | Student | Musician
Venator
Jedi Knight

Post by Venator »

I didn't realize you were in beta. o7 et al.

I finally got my WN8 into the yellow range. Practically/relevantly/usefully to anything but ego speaking, that just means I've finally learned to play one or a couple tank consistently instead of jumping wildly between classes...

Looks like my first Tier 9s are going to be the WZ-111 1-4 and the Centurion 7/1, the former because I've been playing it relentlessly now that I have the 100mm gun unlocked (fuck you, RNG!) and the Centurion because I already had >80k XP on it from playing previously.
Rogue 9

Post by Rogue 9 »

Yeah, I got my start in the closed beta with the Tankbusters, one of the earliest tester clans. The clan is mostly inactive now, but I know a couple of members through the SCA; it's how I got the invite.
It's Rogue, not Rouge!

HAB | KotL | VRWC/ELC/CDA | TRotR | The Anti-Confederate | Sluggite | Gamer | Blogger | Staff Reporter | Student | Musician
Venator
Jedi Knight

Post by Venator »

That's pretty cool. I keep having to remind myself how long-lived some titles are these days.

Always nice to see hard work being appreciated :D.

I definitely got flustered dealing with the Centurion and the first opportunity I had to shoot the LTTB, but I connected where it mattered. http://wotreplays.com/site/3364021#ensk-lord_reaver-110
Rogue 9

Post by Rogue 9 »

I love my mini-Hellcat. :D

It's Rogue, not Rouge!

Venator
Jedi Knight

Post by Venator »

I know very little about the M8A1 outside of (a) it's squishy and made of paper and (b) it's irritatingly fast and sneaky.

Had very little success with the WZ-111 1-4 so far, the useless IS-3 turret is tough to work with. The unexpected rate of fire and APCR penetration of the 100mm does work wonders on people who see the stock turret and expect the big derpy 122mm. I'm irrationally tempted by the 112 that's on sale right now...

Only very tangentially related to tanks, Jingles and Rita apparently just broke up :(. Even incompetent rambling old goats deserve to be happy in life, poor bloke.
wautd
Emperor's Hand

Post by wautd »

Rogue 9 wrote:Decided to take my much-maligned meta tester tank out for a spin today, and lo, I am become death, destroyer of armor. :razz:
I never understood the hate for that tank. Sure, it's not great but we've had far, far worse free tanks garage slots since then.

I'm doing the daily missions for the new tier 8 premium tank (named T25 something?) which does looks pretty nice. And in contrast with the T-34-100* marathon, the missions actually seem doable (so far).

(*although I'm glad I chipped in to get that tank anyway. It's an awesome medium tank).
Zwinmar
Jedi Master

Post by Zwinmar »

Yeah, doing the missions myself. As a result I'm being driven to aggravation by the horrendous mm and rng lately.