World of Warships

GEC: Discuss gaming, computers and electronics and venture into the bizarre world of STGODs.

Moderator: Thanas

Venator
Jedi Knight

Re: World of Warships

Post by Venator »

Skywalker_T-65 wrote:On the other hand, some NorCar drivers really are that bad. One of my favorite matches consisted of trolling in Amagi and taking down three of them from near-full health and one nearly taken down before he ran...

Because they all kept showing broadside to me. Repeatedly.
Fair enough. I do get a surprising number of them who decide to brawl my Tirpitz at <6km (aka Kriegsmarine metal fish balance trident) ranges.
Lonestar
Keeper of the Schwartz

Post by Lonestar »

finally round of Graf Spee grinding this week. Of course it coincides with me starting a 4 class semester while also being employed full time.
"The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles."
Venator
Jedi Knight

Post by Venator »

Lonestar wrote:finally round of Graf Spee grinding this week. Of course it coincides with me starting a 4 class semester while also being employed full time.
Good luck! If you have premium camos kicking around, they make the adjusted experience task pretty easy.

I tossed another $25 at the Secret Santa after seeing this - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JaoYQDoBFB4. I went for double subversion and played that video while unboxing.

Got 1300 doubloons, the Murmansk with a 10pt commander, and enough premium camo to last me the rest of linear time, so not too bad.
Lonestar
Keeper of the Schwartz

Post by Lonestar »

Oh man I just tried that, same thing you did

got a Nikolai and a Scharnhorst
"The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles."
Venator
Jedi Knight

Post by Venator »

Lonestar wrote:Oh man I just tried that, same thing you did

got a Nikolai and a Scharnhorst
MOTHER FUCKER

:lol:
Agent Fisher
Rabid Monkey

Post by Agent Fisher »

Alright, I'm swearing off the XMas boxes. Not cause they stink, but because I keep buying some captain boxes. So, yeah,I bought too many...

Scharnhorst, Arizona, Texas, Atago, Atlanta, Warspite, Molotov, Marblehead, Ishizuchi, Emden, Indianapolis

Also, I love the Scharn! Built her for secondaries and she's my brawler!
Lonestar
Keeper of the Schwartz

Post by Lonestar »

Agent Fisher wrote: Also, I love the Scharn! Built her for secondaries and she's my brawler!

I've been working up the American BB line and other than a few premiums(Dunky, Itchy and Warspite) haven't really done other BBs. The Scharnhorst has an incredible secondaries set compared to the others. I was sailing through some islands and just passing through I got something like 30 secondaries impacts.

That said, looking at the detailed report I'm not too sure what secondaries do other than sometimes start fires. They don't seem to cause a lot of damage themselves, although i suppose it might provide a bit of a suppressive effect around you, like smaller ships just wouldn't wan tot get near you.
wautd
Emperor's Hand

Post by wautd »

The only ship I got was a lousy Emden and I've spent like 50€ in total in Santa gifts :banghead: :(
Agent Fisher
Rabid Monkey

Post by Agent Fisher »

Agent Fisher wrote:Alright, I'm swearing off the XMas boxes. Not cause they stink, but because I keep buying some captain boxes. So, yeah,I bought too many...

Scharnhorst, Arizona, Texas, Atago, Atlanta, Warspite, Molotov, Marblehead, Ishizuchi, Emden, Indianapolis

Also, I love the Scharn! Built her for secondaries and she's my brawler!
... forgot the Anshan, Błyskawica, Lo Yang and Kutuzov.

And I spent way, way more than 50.
Lonestar
Keeper of the Schwartz

Post by Lonestar »

wautd wrote:The only ship I got was a lousy Emden and I've spent like 50€ in total in Santa gifts :banghead: :(
Heh.

Anshan, Itchy, Dunky, Emden, Kutuzov, Marblehead, Błyskawica, Lo Yang and Nikolai and Scharn. I think probably like about $120 here. Also got 180 days premium.
Dominus Atheos
Sith Marauder

Post by Dominus Atheos »

Wow, and I thought people were just being melodramatic when they called these types of games "Skinner boxes". Goddamn. :P
Steel
Jedi Master

Post by Steel »

Lonestar wrote:
wautd wrote:The only ship I got was a lousy Emden and I've spent like 50€ in total in Santa gifts :banghead: :(
Heh.

Anshan, Itchy, Dunky, Emden, Kutuzov, Marblehead, Błyskawica, Lo Yang and Nikolai and Scharn. I think probably like about $120 here. Also got 180 days premium.
That seems like a really good* return, comparatively. Or is the US store just much cheaper than the EU store?

*for a value of good that encompasses haemorrhaging cash on virtual boats
Apparently nobody can see you without a signature.
Lonestar
Keeper of the Schwartz

Post by Lonestar »

The Scharn alone would have hit $50 here, so, all in all, a good deal
wautd
Emperor's Hand

Post by wautd »

Steel wrote:
Lonestar wrote:
Heh.

That seems like a really good* return, comparatively. Or is the US store just much cheaper than the EU store?

I noticed the US store is cheaper yeah: 2.87€ medium gift US vs 3 € medium gift EU
Steel
Jedi Master

Post by Steel »

wautd wrote:
Steel wrote:
Lonestar wrote:
Heh.

I noticed the US store is cheaper yeah: 2.87€ medium gift US vs 3 € medium gift EU
I only asked because I know my friend has sunk hundreds of pounds on the game, although that may be mainly on currency/consumables. Looking at the premium ships on sale they seem to be going for no less than £10 and typically £20-£30 unless on a big sale.

Getting 10 ships for $12 each seems like a big discount compared to £20 each normally. I would have assumed that the random boxes had worse expected returns, but very rare jackpot prizes to keep people going.
Apparently nobody can see you without a signature.
Anacronian
Padawan Learner

Post by Anacronian »

If any of you is contemplating on getting the Graf Spee - Don't!

At least in it's current form it is awful.
Homo sapiens! What an inventive, invincible species! It's only been a few million years since they crawled up out of the mud and learned to walk. Puny, defenseless bipeds. They've survived flood, famine and plague. They've survived cosmic wars and holocausts. And now, here they are, out among the stars, waiting to begin a new life. Ready to outsit eternity. They're indomitable... indomitable. ~ Dr.Who
Agent Fisher
Rabid Monkey

Post by Agent Fisher »

So, playing my Indianapolis, get knocked down to about 40% health and there's a New Mexico and another CA coming for me, so I turn north and retire out of the area so two fresh cruisers can do there bit. While going, I bump into an Emerald, who gets super salty and tells me to 'Watch where you're going next time, asshole'. I tell him 'Nah, I don't think I will'.

Here's his message after the game. Mmm, gotta love that saltiness.

Lonestar
Keeper of the Schwartz

Post by Lonestar »

all those flavors

and he chose salt
Lonestar
Keeper of the Schwartz

Post by Lonestar »

also lol the Russians getting missiles this year
atg
Jedi Master

Post by atg »

Anacronian wrote:If any of you is contemplating on getting the Graf Spee - Don't!

I have the Spee and love it. What issues do you have with it?
Marcus Aurelius: ...the Swedish S-tank; the exception is made mostly because the Swedes insisted really hard that it is a tank rather than a tank destroyer or assault gun
Ilya Muromets: And now I have this image of a massive, stern-looking Swede staring down a bunch of military nerds. "It's a tank." "Uh, yes Sir. Please don't hurt us."
Venator
Jedi Knight

Post by Venator »

I had an absolutely fabulous game in the Tirpitz. Teamed up with a Montana driven by the fabulously-named Capt_Toast. Started with me running into him twice while tunnel vision on a Kurgfurst, apologized, he was much more forgiving than Fisher's shitbird.

Under cyclone, we aim to (me 50% hp, him 40%) to get the drop on two Kurgfursts - about 95% and 75% hp. Toast goes in first and hammers the first GK's broadside, but takes a ton of fire in return. I go in full throttle and land a perfect torp spread, Devastating Strike. The other GK turns and avoids my other torp spread and kills Toast, but eats my primary and secondary battery (having swung around from engaging his buddy). Toast gets the Flesh Wound kill with secondary fire damage.

Absolute gentleman to play with, and carried the flank against a big HP disparity.
Anacronian
Padawan Learner

Post by Anacronian »

atg wrote:
Anacronian wrote:If any of you is contemplating on getting the Graf Spee - Don't!

It's at the wrong Tier - The Spee would have done well as a Tier V ship, But at Tier VI you will often play Tier VIII games and the Spee does horribly there, It's too slow, to under gunned and have too thin armor to be in a Tier VIII game, I've played 60 games in the Spee now and 40% of them have been spent as Tier VIII fodder (this is literally what you are in this case).
Homo sapiens! What an inventive, invincible species! It's only been a few million years since they crawled up out of the mud and learned to walk. Puny, defenseless bipeds. They've survived flood, famine and plague. They've survived cosmic wars and holocausts. And now, here they are, out among the stars, waiting to begin a new life. Ready to outsit eternity. They're indomitable... indomitable. ~ Dr.Who
atg
Jedi Master

Post by atg »

Anacronian wrote:
atg wrote:

It's at the wrong Tier - The Spee would have done well as a Tier V ship, But at Tier VI you will often play Tier VIII games and the Spee does horribly there, It's too slow, to under gunned and have too thin armor to be in a Tier VIII game, I've played 60 games in the Spee now and 40% of them have been spent as Tier VIII fodder (this is literally what you are in this case).
Play like a BB and not a YOLO rushing cruiser in tier8 games. Sit back and fire HE at the enemy BBs and watch for opportunities to hit broadside cruisers with AP. Keep an eye on the minimap to make sure you don't get out of position and move early if you are threatened to mitigate the speed disadvantage. Its not perfect but it never will be when playing any tier 6 against tier 8s.
Marcus Aurelius: ...the Swedish S-tank; the exception is made mostly because the Swedes insisted really hard that it is a tank rather than a tank destroyer or assault gun
Ilya Muromets: And now I have this image of a massive, stern-looking Swede staring down a bunch of military nerds. "It's a tank." "Uh, yes Sir. Please don't hurt us."
Anacronian
Padawan Learner

Post by Anacronian »

atg wrote:
Anacronian wrote:
atg wrote:
Play like a BB and not a YOLO rushing cruiser in tier8 games. Sit back and fire HE at the enemy BBs and watch for opportunities to hit broadside cruisers with AP. Keep an eye on the minimap to make sure you don't get out of position and move early if you are threatened to mitigate the speed disadvantage. Its not perfect but it never will be when playing any tier 6 against tier 8s.
Look I know how to play the game, That doesn't change that you are have a distinct disadvantage when playing the Spee in any Tier VIII game and in most Tier VII, Hell it actually only does well when it's top-tier.

Flamu pretty mutch sums up my experience here:
[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q80KkeBP6Ck[/youtube]

Graf Spee is not worth it, You are way better of by going for a Scharnhorst or Tirpitz - Ships that can actually play well in over-tier games.
atg
Jedi Master

Post by atg »

Go back a few pages and you'll find this post from me:
atg wrote:Image

The ship only pack of the Graf Spee went on sale in Asia so I picked it up. This was my first battle with her. This was a tier 8 game and finished with 4 kills & topped scored in my team. Not too shabby I thought.

This isn't a once off for me. The Spee can absolutely do well in tier 8 games. Any ship is going to be at a disadvantage going up against higher tiers. That's not exactly rocket science.

Is she for everyone? No. Just like the Dunkerque, Tirpitz, Atlanta, etc aren't for everyone. But to say she can't play well against higher tiers is flat wrong.