Ever wondered what happens to racists after racist bus rants

OT: anything goes!

Moderator: Edi

mr friendly guy
The Doctor
Location: In a 1960s police telephone box somewhere in Australia

Ever wondered what happens to racists after racist bus rants

Post by mr friendly guy »

With the event of phones with cameras built in and youtube, racist rants on public transport can get caught and uploaded. I wondered whether these racists cop their just deserts. It turns out Australian broadcasting corporation is planning to do a follow up about an incident which occurred in Australia.

But first, the original incident
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2012/ ... -australia

Essentially some douchebags abused a French woman for speaking... French, yeah what a crime.

Note, she wasn't too afraid because she was surrounded by friends. Among the abuse include threats of physical harm. Some of her friends who are apparently black weren't spared their oh so awesome rhetorical tongue.

Now we find out, after being caught on camera being a racist arsehole, they find their life is ruined, oh the humanity.
THE Melbourne bus passenger who filmed the first viral video of a racist rant on public transport has faced the man he shamed, four years after the footage gained 4.7 million views almost overnight.
In the confronting video Mike Nayna uploaded to YouTube, Hayden Stewart is heard screaming at a young Frenchwoman: “F***ing stop there ay, you bitch. C***. I’ll f***ing box cut you right now, dog”.
“Yeah come on c*** get off, f***ing ding, look at ya.”
Hayden, 24, was backing up a man named Graham, who told the woman to “speak English or die” and threatened to cut off her breasts with a filleting knife.
Graham called her group of friends, who were singing in French at the back of the bus, “f***ing black c***s” and told them “300 years of history should have told them that they’re f***ing slaves”.
As Hayden walked away with his then-girlfriend, pushing their six-month-old daughter in a pram, he smashed in the bus window.

‘I’LL PUT A BULLET IN THEIR HEADS, RACIST SCUM’
The shocking video made news across the world, with Mike discussing what he’d witnessed on national TV in the UK, France, the Netherlands and the US.
Viewers took to social media to express their disgust at Hayden’s behaviour, with many threatening to kill him and his child. “I’ll put a bullet in their heads racist scum,” read one threat.

“Remember these faces and if you see them stomp their teeth into their ugly mullets,” ordered another social media user.
Both Hayden and Graham did jail time over the incident in 2014, with Graham losing his job in construction and sleeping on the streets after he was evicted from his home.
Mike grew disturbed at the vigilante mob he’d created.
“It was horrible,” he told news.com.au. “I started feeling really guilty. You’ve got people having mental breakdowns caught on camera then scrutinised. I was wondering what was happening to these people.”
The aspiring filmmaker, now 32, had created viral videos before. Uploading the footage to YouTube, he had hoped it would stop the men he had filmed “turning themselves into the heroes of the story” and embarrass them.
“My main motivation was personal,” he admits. “I felt humiliated. I guess it was revenge, I didn’t think that at the time but I came to that conclusion after speaking about it for a few hours on TV.”

‘HE LOOKED LIKE HE EXPECTED ME TO HIT HIM’
Four years on, Mike saw Hayden on the street in Melbourne, and worked up the courage to approach him.
“He looked like he expected me to hit him,” Mike says. “I apologised, he apologised. It was a really strange conversation. ‘I’m the guy who made your life hell’.”
Mike learnt that Hayden was on his way to rehab — he had turned to drugs and suffered with mental health issues. He had developed anxiety over walking around the streest, he reveals in an interview Mike filmed for a documentary on his experience.
“People picked me out, ‘there’s that bloke, teach him a lesson’,” Hayden says.
He was “embarrassed, ashamed, guilty, everything,” he told Mike.
“I’ve got me half-year-old daughter with me in a pram screaming abuse at a lady at the back of the bus, it didn't look good. I’d only been out three weeks so I was still kind of in that mindframe of jail mode, you’ve got to threaten them before they get you first, you’ve got to make sure they’re not going to come after you, you’re angrier and scarier.
“I wasn’t in control ... I reacted the wrong way.”

‘IT WENT WAY TOO FAR’
Mike, who is still in contact with Hayden, feels guilty for what happened to him afterwards.
“It got pretty bad for him,” says Mike. “He wouldn’t blame the video, but look at the timeline.
“It went way too far. I don’t think anything positive happened as a result of that video. If anything, it solidified his feeling of being on the outside.
“This person’s already cast aside and doesn’t feel part of culture, to push him further out and have him feel people are looking down at him, I do feel responsible.
“But he’s an adult now. We don’t completely absolve him.”
Mike doesn’t believe Hayden is racist, “not at all” and thinks Graham was “playing to the crowd” when he shouted at the young French woman and her rowdy friends on the rail replacement bus at the end of a long, hot summer’s day.
“It was just excitement,” says Mike. “The racial element was a small part of it. Obviously there’s some kind of racism in these guys, but it’s the same with everyone I think.
“We’ve expanded the definition of racism so far it encompasses people going about their daily lives.”
Mike couldn’t track down the older man for the documentary. He has “gone off the grid”.
At his sentencing, the 36-year-old told the magistrate: “Anything you can do is nothing compared to what I’ve been through the past 12 months.”
As for French woman Fanny Desaintjores, then 22, she tells Mike in the documentary she never felt in danger that day.
“The media positioned me as a victim, but I didn’t feel like that on the bus. I was surrounded by friends, I felt secure. It was only verbal.
“I felt a little confused but I was OK. I wasn’t traumatised at all.”
Digilante airs Wednesday Dec 21 at 9.30pm on ABC2 (and then screening on ABC iview.)
Both men didn't just air racist abuse, they threatened physical violence.

What irks me to a small extent is how they go almost anti SJW type with saying the definition of racism has been expanded so much that it encompasses people going about their daily lives. However I think under the old definition of racism, this would fit.

I for one will admit to some interest as to what happened to these wankers, and I am going to tune into that doco on ABC iview. For those not in Australia who are interested, there is always a VPN.
Never apologise for being a geek, because they won't apologise to you for being an arsehole. John Barrowman - 22 June 2014 Perth Supernova.

Countries I have been to - 14.
Australia, Canada, China, Colombia, Denmark, Ecuador, Finland, Germany, Malaysia, Netherlands, Norway, Singapore, Sweden, USA.
Always on the lookout for more nice places to visit.
Gandalf
SD.net White Wizard

Re: Ever wondered what happens to racists after racist bus rants

Post by Gandalf »

And here I thought you were going to say that they become One Nation senators. :P
"Oh no, oh yeah, tell me how can it be so fair
That we dying younger hiding from the police man over there
Just for breathing in the air they wanna leave me in the chair
Electric shocking body rocking beat streeting me to death"

- A.B. Original, Report to the Mist

"I think it’s the duty of the comedian to find out where the line is drawn and cross it deliberately."
- George Carlin
mr friendly guy
The Doctor

Hey, One Nation senators air their racist rants in parliament, protected by parliamentary privilege. Then they self destruct in infighting.

These guys in the doco are too damn stupid, and one of them ends up sleeping on the streets.
Never apologise for being a geek, because they won't apologise to you for being an arsehole. John Barrowman - 22 June 2014 Perth Supernova.

Australia, Canada, China, Colombia, Denmark, Ecuador, Finland, Germany, Malaysia, Netherlands, Norway, Singapore, Sweden, USA.
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

mr friendly guy wrote:Both men didn't just air racist abuse, they threatened physical violence.

What irks me to a small extent is how they go almost anti SJW type with saying the definition of racism has been expanded so much that it encompasses people going about their daily lives. However I think under the old definition of racism, this would fit.
Yes. Yes it would. And this is an illustration of something I think many people have forgotten- sometimes willfully, sometimes because youth or political tone-deafness.

Remember all those standard complaints about "political correctness has run amok" and "anti-racism is stopping us from living our normal lives" and "minorities are overcompensating!"

Most of them? Those started out as racist dog-whistles. Comments that had, and have, an obvious (innocuous) meaning to the general public. But they mean entirely different things, to serious racists who feel frustrated that they can't use racism as a pretext to bully people anymore. And they signal that the speaker may secretly agree with "we should be entitled to bully and abuse minorities." Or, at least, that the speaker isn't actually going to do anything about it if they see minorities being bullied and victimized.

Because haha, it's just guys getting a bit rambunctious, no harm done! People are entitled to be a bit vicious!

Pay no attention to the woman who gets her teeth kicked in one night by a couple of guys who feel just a little more entitled to be vicious.

And a lot of the people who are now getting derided as "social justice warriors" became targets for derision, because they keep trying to point this problem out. That yes, complaining about how the feminists or the racial equality movement have "gone too far" actually can become a vehicle for trying to turn back the clock.
This space dedicated to Vasily Arkhipov
mr friendly guy
The Doctor

The issue I think is

a. Very few racists are brave enough that they will admit they are actually racist. * They usually try and use euphemisms like White pride or outright say I am not racist straight after making a racist statement. Since this is an Australian doco, One Nation leader Pauline Hanson fits the bill remarkably well for this.

b. When some people on the other side, try to broaden the definition of racism, it gives cover to racists, and even makes some people who aren't normally racist, question accusations of racism. Because the racist can use the pseudo-logic that because one accusation of racism is bullshit, therefore all other accusations is also bullshit, no matter how different they are.

An example of broadening the definition of racism is the statement which seems popular among certain SJW types, that racism = power + prejudice, and thus minorities cannot be racist under this definition. As opposed to anyone can be racist, but the one is weaker would have less effect.

I think both positions are pretty warped and they have to go.

* there was a great Swedish doco in the 90s translated as Racist Sweden, where it was the first time I saw a racist actually say he is one, but then tellingly he accused other people of being racist towards him (I didn't realise Racists were a race, but whatever).

Watching the doco, I find it disheartening that the person who posted the racist rant online is now feeling sorry for the racist because they suffered the consequences of their actions, ie societal ostracization. They are now saying that what the perp did isn't really racist etc. I would have told the racist to go cry me a river.

Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

Refusing to admit that there's a problem, because saying anything about it would give ammunition to people who use pseudo-logic, is not a good idea.

There are some things that are quite simply abuse of language and should not be tolerated.

But at the same time, there are a LOT of people out there complaining about "political correctness run amok" as a smoke-screen for what they really want, which is for minorities to know their place and take their beatings quietly.
This space dedicated to Vasily Arkhipov
Shroom Man 777
FUCKING DICK-STABBER!

Post by Shroom Man 777 »

There IS a difference between prejudice with power and social context vs prejudiced minorities who are as disempowered as the other non-prejudiced minorities though. The latter utterly lack teeth and are of no consequences. Ironically if society was less racist towards minorities... then minorities' racism + access to power would mean they'd fit the definition of racism used by those nitpicking the definition of racism to mean to say systemic racism.
Image "DO YOU WORSHIP HOMOSEXUALS?" - Curtis Saxton (source)
shroom is a lovely boy and i wont hear a bad word against him - LUSY-CHAN!
Shit! Man, I didn't think of that! It took Shroom to properly interpret the screams of dying people :D - PeZook
Shroom, I read out the stuff you write about us. You are an endless supply of morale down here. :p - an OWS street medic
Pink Sugar Heart Attack!
Flagg
CUNTS FOR EYES!
Location: Hell. In The Room Right Next to Reagan. He's Fucking Bonzo. No, wait... Bonzo's fucking HIM.

Post by Flagg »

While posting empty threats of violence on social media is disgusting, the tone of the article is incredibly disturbing. A man who threatens a woman and minorities with physical violence for daring to talk amongst themselves in a language he disapproves of in person with his baby and the mother of said baby present, then busting in the window of the bus deserves to be imprisoned and evicted and living on the street. Why would anyone with a functioning moral compass consider him a victim of anything but some pretty standard online abuse and moreover, a victim of his own behavior? Fuck that guy.
We pissing our pants yet?
-Negan

You got your shittin' pants on? Because you’re about to
Shit. Your. Pants!
-Negan

He who can,
does; he who cannot, teaches.
-George Bernard Shaw
Shroom Man 777
FUCKING DICK-STABBER!

Post by Shroom Man 777 »

They got QED MOTHERFUCKER CONCESSION ACCEPTED BANNINATED... in life!

Life Daltoned them.
Image "DO YOU WORSHIP HOMOSEXUALS?" - Curtis Saxton (source)
shroom is a lovely boy and i wont hear a bad word against him - LUSY-CHAN!
Shit! Man, I didn't think of that! It took Shroom to properly interpret the screams of dying people :D - PeZook
Shroom, I read out the stuff you write about us. You are an endless supply of morale down here. :p - an OWS street medic
Pink Sugar Heart Attack!
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Post by The Romulan Republic »

Flagg wrote:While posting empty threats of violence on social media is disgusting, the tone of the article is incredibly disturbing. A man who threatens a woman and minorities with physical violence for daring to talk amongst themselves in a language he disapproves of in person with his baby and the mother of said baby present, then busting in the window of the bus deserves to be imprisoned and evicted and living on the street. Why would anyone with a functioning moral compass consider him a victim of anything but some pretty standard online abuse and moreover, a victim of his own behavior? Fuck that guy.
Prison, definitely, though I do feel bad about any consequences (like eviction) falling on his family.

But one can simultaneously be both a scumbag and a victim. The one does not, in my opinion, preclude the other. He is both a perpetrator of criminal acts (threats of violence, vandalism), and a victim of them (threats of violence).
"I know its easy to be defeatist here because nothing has seemingly reigned Trump in so far. But I will say this: every asshole succeeds until finally, they don't. Again, 18 months before he resigned, Nixon had a sky-high approval rating of 67%. Harvey Weinstein was winning Oscars until one day, he definitely wasn't."-John Oliver

"The greatest enemy of a good plan is the dream of a perfect plan."-General Von Clauswitz, describing my opinion of Bernie or Busters and third partiers in a nutshell.

I SUPPORT A NATIONAL GENERAL STRIKE TO REMOVE TRUMP FROM OFFICE.
Flagg
CUNTS FOR EYES!
Location: Hell. In The Room Right Next to Reagan. He's Fucking Bonzo. No, wait... Bonzo's fucking HIM.

Post by Flagg »

The Romulan Republic wrote:
Flagg wrote:While posting empty threats of violence on social media is disgusting, the tone of the article is incredibly disturbing. A man who threatens a woman and minorities with physical violence for daring to talk amongst themselves in a language he disapproves of in person with his baby and the mother of said baby present, then busting in the window of the bus deserves to be imprisoned and evicted and living on the street. Why would anyone with a functioning moral compass consider him a victim of anything but some pretty standard online abuse and moreover, a victim of his own behavior? Fuck that guy.
Prison, definitely, though I do feel bad about any consequences (like eviction) falling on his family.

But one can simultaneously be both a scumbag and a victim. The one does not, in my opinion, preclude the other. He is both a perpetrator of criminal acts (threats of violence, vandalism), and a victim of them (threats of violence).
It didn't say his family was with him in his homeless existence. With any luck he'll never have a relationship with his spawn to impart yet another generation with being hate filled chickenfuckers. And I've been threatened with death over the Internet. I've been more scared taking shits.
We pissing our pants yet?
-Negan

You got your shittin' pants on? Because you’re about to
Shit. Your. Pants!
-Negan

He who can,
does; he who cannot, teaches.
-George Bernard Shaw
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Post by The Romulan Republic »

Fair enough, I guess.

And yeah, someone who engages in such behaviour probably shouldn't be raising children.

That said, I wouldn't want to downplay the seriousness of any threat of violence, even if the risk of it being acted on is minimal. Especially when organized campaigns of online harassment are a very real problem.
"I know its easy to be defeatist here because nothing has seemingly reigned Trump in so far. But I will say this: every asshole succeeds until finally, they don't. Again, 18 months before he resigned, Nixon had a sky-high approval rating of 67%. Harvey Weinstein was winning Oscars until one day, he definitely wasn't."-John Oliver

"The greatest enemy of a good plan is the dream of a perfect plan."-General Von Clauswitz, describing my opinion of Bernie or Busters and third partiers in a nutshell.

I SUPPORT A NATIONAL GENERAL STRIKE TO REMOVE TRUMP FROM OFFICE.
mr friendly guy
The Doctor

Most probably due to empathy hard wired into us. However I realise that if the situation was reversed and a minority was homeless and on the street, they would just point out these guys are living off welfare, they need to get a job and fuck them. If I was in that situation they wouldn't give a shit about me because I am of a different ethnic group, so why should I give a shit about these guys? What would happen if empathy was only a one way street? The answer to the first question is I shouldn't, and the answer to the second one is I would be screwed. So I find I can shut down empathy for these racists. So that racist loser can enjoy homelessness.