SDN Starship Design Commentaries

SF: discuss futuristic sci-fi series, ideas, and crossovers.

Moderator: NecronLord

Prometheus Unbound
Jedi Master

Re: SDN Starship Design Commentaries

Post by Prometheus Unbound »

Sea Skimmer wrote:I'd also wonder how they actually allot time to people. 1000 crew and only 2 of the things means each person could get just slightly over 1 hour of use per 21 days. But that allows no time for anything else like maintenance or training so 1 hour per 30 days is probably a more realistic ration. Competition would be might high at that point.
There's at least either 4 or 6 holodecks on the Enterprise D (I can't remember the highest one mentioned).

They also have places like the arboretum, fencing area, parices squares court, phaser range, calesthetics area etc. There's also the fact that some people can't access the holodeck alone (kids maybe) and some crew like Vulcans etc most likely don't use it very much.

There's also the shift rotation to think about - at any given point about a third of the people aren't up and about.

Curious how there's always one free for the main characters, eh? :)

Plus, I would imagine, yes, there is "rationing" even on the Enterprise D. Some people will have to wait days to book a slot. That's what it means living on a starship.

On Voyager, which has two holodecks, there is demand for them and they have a tight schedule with 30 minute blocks they trade around the crew. Paris and the Doc have had more than one fight over "holodeck time slots".
NecronLord wrote:
Also, shorten your signature a couple of lines please.
Parallax
Jedi Knight

Post by Parallax »

They start having an audio conversation with each other
... why would they communicate in such a time wasting and inaccurate manner? I know Voyager was 90% raving stupidity but this seems bizarre even by the shows standards.
Prometheus Unbound
Jedi Master

Parallax wrote:
... why would they communicate in such a time wasting and inaccurate manner?
Why do you think I'm making a 45 minute video on the topic? :D

CARDASSIAN COMPUTER: Cardassian ATR4107 attempting to activate systems.

TORRES: I never thought I'd be glad to hear that voice again.

MAQUIS COMPUTER: Voice analyser functioning. Unable to identify.

CARDASSIAN COMPUTER: Attempting to activate systems.

MAQUIS COMPUTER: No additional presence detected.

TORRES: Check those diagnostics, Dreadnought. You're talking to yourself. I believe you're having an identity crisis.

CARDASSIAN COMPUTER: Accessing central processor memory.

MAQUIS COMPUTER: Engaging counter-virus response programme.

CARDASSIAN COMPUTER: Attempting to over-ride programme.

TORRES: Computer, identify the target.

(at the same time)

CARDASSIAN COMPUTER: The Maquis munitions base on Planetoid Alpha four four one

MAQUIS COMPUTER: The Cardassian depot on Aschelan Five.

CARDASSIAN COMPUTER: Malfunction detected in the targeting system. Attempting to correct.

MAQUIS COMPUTER: Negative. Target lock has been confirmed.

(At the same time)

MAQUIS COMPUTER:The Maquis are now in control of this weapon. The original targeting parameters have been replaced with those of this target. The countdown for the detonation sequence will continue. Aschelan Five will be destroyed. Access to the navigational system is denied. All critical pathways have been re-routed through protected backup systems. Security lockout in function. All overrides will be blocked. Counter virus response. All systems. Attempting.

CARDASSIAN COMPUTER: (at same time) This target does not conform to established targeting parameters. The detonation sequence cannot proceed without proper target identification. Ejecting antimatter pod. Emergency ejection system has failed. Attempting to re-initialise all key systems. Accessing backup systems. Unable to access. Enable backup overrides. Command pathways. The central processor has been routed. Attempting.

(They descend into gibberish as Torres works on a control panel. A hatch opens.)

TORRES: Yes.

(Torres crawls into the small space.)
Last edited by Prometheus Unbound on 2016-12-05 08:05am, edited 1 time in total.
NecronLord wrote:
Crazedwraith
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crazedwraith »

Because otherwise the audience wouldn't know what was going on?

I mean come on. I know its not an in-universe explanation but it's still a tv show.
Prometheus Unbound
Jedi Master

bleh meant to edit
NecronLord wrote:
Prometheus Unbound
Jedi Master

Prometheus Unbound wrote:
Parallax wrote:
... why would they communicate in such a time wasting and inaccurate manner?
Why do you think I'm making a 45 minute video on the topic? :D

I'm serious:

That's 33 pages of script so far....

It will be up to 40 by the end - ~~ Approx 60-70 mins video.
NecronLord wrote:
Sea Skimmer
Yankee Capitalist Air Pirate

Post by Sea Skimmer »

So I was thinking about voyager then on the 2 holodecks.

As far as computers talking by voice, it is silly but its not impossible that it could be the only way two computers are actually compatible with each other is some kind of audio protocol. This is a universe with a halfway awesome universal translator after all. Like dial up modems show no technical difference exists between audio signals and a whole lot of data traffic, it's just what it sounds like to a human. Also, people like machines failing. We all know it!
"This cult of special forces is as sensible as to form a Royal Corps of Tree Climbers and say that no soldier who does not wear its green hat with a bunch of oak leaves stuck in it should be expected to climb a tree"
— Field Marshal William Slim 1956
EnterpriseSovereign
Sith Marauder

Post by EnterpriseSovereign »

Holodecks are a great idea for really long space voyages. Though I'm surprised at the rather PC way they're used by the crew. Let's assume you're on a five year mission and your girlfriend has stayed back on Earth because ... reasons. It would seem well within human nature to program a hologram of said girl into the holodeck and ... get frisky. Why stop at just one hologram?
And suddenly this starts getting very Westworld-y.
Not just human- in 2377 Tuvok was forced to do exactly that when he went through the Pon Farr in the final season of Voyager (Body and Soul) by way of a hologram of his wife. One would assume his real wife would have used a similar workaround back in the Alpha Quadrant on Vulcan.

The whole identity crisis on Dreadnought to me smacks more of the programs weren't so much talking to each other as they were each commentating on what they were doing. And thanks to Torres' upgrades her program was always going to defeat the "stock" Cardassian AI because she's programmed it to learn/evolve (somehow).
Shroom Man 777
FUCKING DICK-STABBER!

Post by Shroom Man 777 »

Hm... is it possible to have two holodecks in two different places - say Earth and deep space - interconnect/network in real time or in near-real-time if the subspace comms are within range? If say... Earth and Vulcan aren't that far, their comms networks are probably well developed. So can a guy in Vulcan do it with a holodeck version of his wife... but at the same time that hologram is actually being played by the wife on Earth, who herself is doing the guy's remote-holodeck-projection-from-Vulcan? Like, interactive, remote-controlled, holodecking.
Image "DO YOU WORSHIP HOMOSEXUALS?" - Curtis Saxton (source)
shroom is a lovely boy and i wont hear a bad word against him - LUSY-CHAN!
Shit! Man, I didn't think of that! It took Shroom to properly interpret the screams of dying people :D - PeZook
Shroom, I read out the stuff you write about us. You are an endless supply of morale down here. :p - an OWS street medic
Pink Sugar Heart Attack!
EnterpriseSovereign
Sith Marauder

Post by EnterpriseSovereign »

Thanks to the holo-communicator, Starfleet is already halfway there- it wouldn't be much of a leap to make the projections as tangible as any other holodeck object.
Shroom Man 777
FUCKING DICK-STABBER!

Post by Shroom Man 777 »

I mean the holo-communicating holodeck secks via long distances don't need that much detailed infos anyway... you get the people's faces and the general outline of where they are putting their parts in and the rest can be for the holodeck to approximate...

It'd be a great episode if someone's like eavesdropping and so like fappenings happen in the ship and people lose their shit and the leaker ends up getting mobbed and whatnot and Picard has to make some non-violent solution to this. And an impassioned speech.
Shit! Man, I didn't think of that! It took Shroom to properly interpret the screams of dying people :D - PeZook
Shroom, I read out the stuff you write about us. You are an endless supply of morale down here. :p - an OWS street medic
Pink Sugar Heart Attack!
bilateralrope
Sith Acolyte

Post by bilateralrope »

Sea Skimmer wrote:I'd also wonder how they actually allot time to people. 1000 crew and only 2 of the things means each person could get just slightly over 1 hour of use per 21 days.
Or a group of people could go as a group, pooling their holodeck time. While also limiting their content to something that everyone would enjoy.
Crazedwraith
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crazedwraith »

Shroom Man 777 wrote:Hm... is it possible to have two holodecks in two different places - say Earth and deep space - interconnect/network in real time or in near-real-time if the subspace comms are within range? If say... Earth and Vulcan aren't that far, their comms networks are probably well developed. So can a guy in Vulcan do it with a holodeck version of his wife... but at the same time that hologram is actually being played by the wife on Earth, who herself is doing the guy's remote-holodeck-projection-from-Vulcan? Like, interactive, remote-controlled, holodecking.

Well it wouldn't work in that scenario as well because Vulcan mojo involves Vulcan mojo. ie) telepathy while shagging.

One of the New Frontier novels have the ships' holodecks used for a big holo-conference at one point. (It was big novel crossover event) and its heavily implied that two of the Captains do this at the end of the scene.
Prometheus Unbound
Jedi Master

Sea Skimmer wrote:So I was thinking about voyager then on the 2 holodecks.

As far as computers talking by voice, it is silly but its not impossible that it could be the only way two computers are actually compatible with each other is some kind of audio protocol. This is a universe with a halfway awesome universal translator after all. Like dial up modems show no technical difference exists between audio signals and a whole lot of data traffic, it's just what it sounds like to a human. Also, people like machines failing. We all know it!
It's the same computer. It's an AI which ... as usual... malfunctions and this one develops initially schizophrenia and then later full on multiple personality disorder. Aside from the usual trying to kill millions of people of course.
NecronLord wrote:
Prometheus Unbound
Jedi Master

Shroom Man 777 wrote:Hm... is it possible to have two holodecks in two different places - say Earth and deep space - interconnect/network in real time or in near-real-time if the subspace comms are within range? If say... Earth and Vulcan aren't that far, their comms networks are probably well developed. So can a guy in Vulcan do it with a holodeck version of his wife... but at the same time that hologram is actually being played by the wife on Earth, who herself is doing the guy's remote-holodeck-projection-from-Vulcan? Like, interactive, remote-controlled, holodecking.

They can string multiple holosuites together to interact with each other in DS9.

Voyager had their holodecks (and half the ship) all combined into one giant holodeck...
NecronLord wrote:
Shroom Man 777
FUCKING DICK-STABBER!

Post by Shroom Man 777 »

Crazedwraith wrote:

Well it wouldn't work in that scenario as well because Vulcan mojo involves Vulcan mojo. ie) telepathy while shagging.

One of the New Frontier novels have the ships' holodecks used for a big holo-conference at one point. (It was big novel crossover event) and its heavily implied that two of the Captains do this at the end of the scene.
That's racist. Not all people on Vulcan are Vulcans even though by being residents of Vulcan they are thus called Vulcans and not all Vulcans who are Vulcans have secks only for pon-far. And testing inter-holodecking via long distances is of course LOGICAL!
Pink Sugar Heart Attack!
Prometheus Unbound
Jedi Master

Shroom Man 777 wrote:
Crazedwraith wrote:

That's racist. Not all people on Vulcan are Vulcans even though by being residents of Vulcan they are thus called Vulcans and not all Vulcans who are Vulcans have secks only for pon-far. And testing inter-holodecking via long distances is of course LOGICAL!

also Tried this - they felt it *would* work but unfortunately Tuvok didn't like the idea of "cheating" on his wife, even if it's a hologram of his wife. Eventually he gives in and just as he's about to do it, the ship gets attacked, the holograms go offline and Tuvok starts going crazy.

But it likely wood have worked - Tuvok, Doctor and Paris all agreed.
NecronLord wrote:
Shroom Man 777
FUCKING DICK-STABBER!

Post by Shroom Man 777 »

Prometheus Unbound wrote: it likely wood have worked
wood
Hahahahaha.

To make this not-entirely a shit spam shitpost:

Imagine Klingons doing this. Martial arts tournaments and bar brawls that technically span solar systems as like participants from across several planets and ships all gather virtually via their holodecks and via remote-holodecking punch each other in their nuts.
Pink Sugar Heart Attack!
Prometheus Unbound
Jedi Master

That's just embarrassing. :oops: :oops: :oops: :banghead:

It was still early in the morning is my defence on that one!

EDIT:

oh.

Wood.

haha yes. I get my accidental pun. Very good.
NecronLord wrote:
FireNexus
Cookie

Post by FireNexus »

What do we think of the semi-realistic (not sure those fusion rockets able to maintain multi-G thrust for so long are very likely) designs from The Expanse? The idea of building a ship like a skyscraper with the engine functioning as the "ground floor" intrigues me.

Mostly I jut want the show to come back because it's boss as fuck and really going to find its groove in season 2.
I had a Bill Maher quote here. But fuck him for his white privelegy "joke".

All the rest? Too long.