Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 trailer

FAN: Discuss various fictional worlds that don't qualify for SF.

Moderator: Steve

Crazedwraith
Emperor's Hand

Re: Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 trailer

Post by Crazedwraith »

New trailer:

I actually like this one at lot more.
Majin Gojira
Sith Acolyte

Post by Majin Gojira »

Mantis looks great, and I think there may be a cold open with the Universal Church of Truth, or they may be part of the bad guy's plans this time around.

A nice way to introduce Adam Warlock I suppose. Or the Cancerverse.
ISARMA: Daikaiju Coordinator: Just Add Radiation
Justice League- Molly Hayes: Respect Hats or Freakin' Else!
Browncoat
Supernatural Taisen - "[This Story] is essentially "Wouldn't it be awesome if this happened?" Followed by explosions."

Reviewing movies is a lot like Paleontology: The Evidence is there...but no one seems to agree upon it.

"God! Are you so bored that you enjoy seeing us humans suffer?! Why can't you let this poor man live happily with his son! What kind of God are you, crushing us like ants?!" - Kyoami, Ran
Gaidin
Sith Devotee

Post by Gaidin »

Vendetta wrote: None of them are suited to lead.

Or follow a leader.

At most Star Lord ended up as cat herder in chief.
This is truth.

That guy pretty much winged a plan and it happened to work. I'm more willing to bet they're one of the few teams that works by GOOD consensus and we might see some fun arguments arise in the next movie.
LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

So much goodness in that trailer, although the bit with Mantis made me cringe. Drax's laughter sounded so fake... but that "Do Me Next!" was amusing. The whole "Which button to push", "Who's got Tape" and the "This won't end well" had me dying laughing.
Nitram, slightly high on cough syrup: Do you know you're beautiful?
Me: Nope, that's why I have you around to tell me.
Nitram: You -are- beautiful. Anyone tries to tell you otherwise kill them.

"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP" -- Leonard Nimoy, last Tweet
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Post by The Romulan Republic »

MCU's been going through a mediocre streak of late in my opinion- I'm hoping this, combined with Doctor Strange (which I haven't seen yet) will bring back some of the fun to the franchise for me.
"I know its easy to be defeatist here because nothing has seemingly reigned Trump in so far. But I will say this: every asshole succeeds until finally, they don't. Again, 18 months before he resigned, Nixon had a sky-high approval rating of 67%. Harvey Weinstein was winning Oscars until one day, he definitely wasn't."-John Oliver

"The greatest enemy of a good plan is the dream of a perfect plan."-General Von Clauswitz, describing my opinion of Bernie or Busters and third partiers in a nutshell.

I SUPPORT A NATIONAL GENERAL STRIKE TO REMOVE TRUMP FROM OFFICE.
Joun_Lord
Jedi Master

Post by Joun_Lord »

Why do you think its mediocre? Because of the Avengers Day of Ultron and Avenger Civil War feeling a bit bloated or the forgettable-ness of some of the more standalone movies like Thor 2, Iron Man Triple, and Ant-Man? Or just the tv series kinda dragging things down?

Personally I think the MCU has mostly been knocking it out of the park with a few exceptions. Iron Man 2 was meh, 3 was terrible, and Civil War while fine was just a Avengers movie in all but name. The tv side of things have been a bit more hit or miss with Agents of Shield being terrible, Agent Carter being awesome but fucking canceled dangnabbit, Jessica Jones okay but kinda lost my interest, and Luke Cage starting out great but turning very bad around when they replaced the villain.

My primary problem is just how bloated everything feels, like me after a depression binge. Like a dozen movies and 4 tv series plus more stuff that you need to have watched to know everything thats going on.
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Civil War disappointed me for several reasons.

On one level, I simply couldn't sympathize with Cap's motivations like the film clearly wanted me to.

Beyond that, it felt... cluttered, I think, and uneven. And it felt like it should have been darker, the light tone and lack of consequences clashing with the subject matter.

Ant Man... honestly, it just wasn't very memorable.
"I know its easy to be defeatist here because nothing has seemingly reigned Trump in so far. But I will say this: every asshole succeeds until finally, they don't. Again, 18 months before he resigned, Nixon had a sky-high approval rating of 67%. Harvey Weinstein was winning Oscars until one day, he definitely wasn't."-John Oliver

"The greatest enemy of a good plan is the dream of a perfect plan."-General Von Clauswitz, describing my opinion of Bernie or Busters and third partiers in a nutshell.

Crazedwraith
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crazedwraith »

*just resists urge to shit on TRR's wrong opinion for the n+1 time*
My primary problem is just how bloated everything feels, like me after a depression binge. Like a dozen movies and 4 tv series plus more stuff that you need to have watched to know everything thats going on.
Weirdly I don't think that's really a problem with the MCU? You don't need to have seen Thor Dark World, to get Age Of Ultron. Or any of the intervening films since Avengers.You don't need to have seen Ant-Man to enjoy his appearance in Civil War. You certainly don't need to have seen Daredevil or Jesscia Jones or Luke Cage to enjoy Doctor Strange.

The MCU certainly have been trying to do this and it's to their detriment. Driving people like Edgar Wright and Joss Whedon off their projects but for me the biggest problem recently is that they haven't succeeded.

To whit: Age Of Ultron and Civil War do not mesh at all. End of AOU: 'We're heroes we must prove it. Protect the civilians!' Beginning of CW: "We're disregard Civilians so badly everyone hates it! Look at all the dead people in Sokovia" And how much stronger would CW be if they'd not gone the Tony/Steve conflict route and build up their friendship instead. Likewise Tony's shift from renegade to government collaborate could have been set up before hand.

The film's writing and the cast performances go to heroic lengths to justify this and I do thing CW works. It could just been better if they went the whole hog with the shared universe.
TheFeniX
Sith Marauder

Post by TheFeniX »

So.... Baby Groot Plush Toy. Is there a hole I can dump my money into? Because I can score unlimited points with my wife by giving her one of those.

Once again, the plot could be balls (the first Guardians plot was actually kind of meh), but if this is a taste of more to come WRT the characters, this movie should be great.
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

I think the big problem with the MCU is simply that, as its gotten bigger, its become more unwieldy, cluttered, disjointed, and at the same time repetitive in terms of the plot and tone of the films.

I think that's part of why Guardians is so popular- it doesn't quite fit the same mould as a "typical" MCU film. Its like a breath of fresh air in a franchise that's becoming stale.

It probably also helps that, being set in space, it doesn't have to answer questions like "why aren't the rest of the Avengers showing up".

TheFeniX
Sith Marauder

Post by TheFeniX »

They keep selling us on the plot and/or certain build ups. And this doesn't just apply to Marvel "team-ups."

Gotta have Generic Brown CGI gu... I mean Doomsday and Batman and Superman have to fight! Make that happen, also Wonder Woman I guess.

The Avengers fight because the writers want them to fight. But they are also all heavily established characters in life. Captain America is the Chaotic Good king of Goodness. Iron Man is a billonaire playboy who already made his mark. Same with the rest of the team, so their jabs at each other seem way more... malicious? And don't seem to make sense at times.

But Guardians is a bunch of drinking buddies who had a shot at greatness dropped into their laps and I hope they make 100 of these movies where they continually just stumble their way through adventures while taking cheap-shots at each other because it's funny not because they have to. I made the reference to PnP RPG sessions because that's how the movie felt to me (also, Futurama). No matter how many veteran PnPers you get, put 6 of them at a table and shennanigans will happen as we still don't have any real clue what's going on in the greater scheme of things and we'll constantly take pot shots at each other while hopefully getting our shit together long enough to kill the bad guys.

For me, that never gets old.

Comic book movie plots are usually balls. They never made sense when they were first written and they tend to get even worse when retold 1,000 times and then put on a movie screen. People didn't loose their shit for X-Men because they cared about the X-Men saving world leaders from death. The lost their shit because Captain Picard nails it as X, Huge Jacked Man made Wolverine, Ian McKellen owned Magneto. As for X and Magneto: these characters were originally portrayed as Brick Shit House McLargeHuge guys. Not just that, but them transferring over the respect these two enemies had for each other. You could almost make a movie about Magneto and X just debating each other over a game of chess. The rest of the cast interacts with each other like they are actual people with their own motivations and biases. And there's enough comedy going around to sell it.

I'll cut my rant off by saying: the plot in these types of movies only really need to be engaging and push the movie along. There's a lot of what made movies like X-Men great and avoiding a rehahsed story or "upping the ante" wasn't a part of it.

Same thing with Deadpool. The plot was cliche and boring. You could have put anyone at the helm of a story like that. But the movie was awesome. EDIT: The plot "as written" was boring. Revenge plots are kind of dated, but damn it if you didn't want to see Deadpool kick Francis' ass because he earned it. Even though Deadpool is in no real danger.
Elheru Aran
Emperor's Hand

Post by Elheru Aran »

Deadpool worked because Ryan Reynolds IS Deadpool. He wore that character like a goddamn glove (closer actually, that makeup apparently had to be dissolved off in a bathtub of hot water every night).

But beyond that, the other actors/actresses fit their roles pretty damn well. Gina Carano was no great shakes... but she was big, tough, and hit people hard, which was pretty much all her character amounted to, so that worked out fine. Colossus was classically cheesy, and they finally got the look right. Negasonic Teenage Warhead? Completely out of nowhere, but for what little she did in the movie besides being a sulky goth (or was it emo?) teenager, she was perfect.

It was a shallow, ridiculous movie. And it was perfect, because Deadpool is *supposed* to be shallow and ridiculous. Look for a deeper meaning beyond the gratuitous boobage, violence, and jokes, and you'll disappoint yourself.
It's a strange world. Let's keep it that way.
TheFeniX
Sith Marauder

Post by TheFeniX »

Elheru Aran wrote:But beyond that, the other actors/actresses fit their roles pretty damn well. Gina Carano was no great shakes... but she was big, tough, and hit people hard, which was pretty much all her character amounted to, so that worked out fine. Colossus was classically cheesy, and they finally got the look right. Negasonic Teenage Warhead? Completely out of nowhere, but for what little she did in the movie besides being a sulky goth (or was it emo?) teenager, she was perfect.
Point of order: I contend that Carano is a terrible actress. That said, they seemed to know who they were working with and kept her in an area she was comfortable with: punching people and being smug. Sadly, she is actually very charming in interviews. She just doesn't play well when she's actually acting. And yes, it might help (just a bit) that Ryan Reynolds is Deadpool.

I think this is a big part of what movie makers forget: you can't just rely on a pre-loaded character hype to sell you a movie. Showing Hulk-Buster and a Batman/Superman might work for a hype trailer, but you still have to make people care why they're fighting and writers seem to be going with really REALLY convoluted plots and ideas to get "good guys" to punch each other. And those convoluted plots each up a lot of screentime and it bores me.

Even dealing with an unknown like Marsden with Cyclops. He's a stick in the mud, but with Jean that breaks down and he also takes a much more hardass approach (for good reason) with Wolverine for both personal and professional reasons. Meanwhile, Storm gets left in the dust because she's basically Jean Light when Monroe in the comics and cartoon was anything but. She's nearly forgettable in the movie.

With Guardians, you can also see how interactions sell the movie. Star Lord can't help himself most times, but with Gamora his attitude changes because he's smitten, with Drex he's much more buddy-buddy, but also balancing his dialog with Drex because Drex can take shit the wrong way really easy. He's much more direct and heavy-handed with Rocket. This is opposed to someone like Tony Stark whose baseline, even with Pepper Potts, is "Smug, but brilliant" asshole.

I don't find him reacting to the people he's talking to like he should and it's not just his performance (even though Downey Jr. does great himself) I'm harping on. Even the original Avengers, while what I would expect when you put a bunch of Power Gamers into a room, have a narrow approach to each other. It works, but I find it's already become stale.
It was a shallow, ridiculous movie. And it was perfect, because Deadpool is *supposed* to be shallow and ridiculous. Look for a deeper meaning beyond the gratuitous boobage, violence, and jokes, and you'll disappoint yourself.
Exactly, they understood not only the source material but what universe they are in. Kids and adults don't line up to watch something like that for thrilling and "deep" yet completely inconsistent plots where shit just seems to happen because it needed to happen or the movie grinds to a halt.

Star Wars: Get plans back and find Rebel base: blow up Rebel base. UNLIMITED POWER!
X-Men: Build mutant maker. Kidnap Rogue. Use Rogue to power mutant maker.
Deadpool: Make mutants, enslave mutants, sell mutants.
Guardians: Get magic stone. Use Magic Stone to blow up planet.
Civil War: We gotta make Iron Man and Cap fight, so this guy came up with a 30-point plan of action that would fall apart if the two characters talked to each other for 5 seconds like normal people do. Also, if one step in the process goes even the slightest bit wrong, same thing. Dark Knight and Rises, same thing. Avengers one, same thing just to get Hulk to Hulk out.

Comic-movie writers have gone off the fucking deep end and forgotten what made these movie come back into popularity. It wasn't confusing plots to make us think deep about.... whatever the fuck they were writing about all the while wasting screentime on boring shit. It was about taking simple plots and making them good because you gave a shit about the characters involved.
Gandalf
SD.net White Wizard

Post by Gandalf »

I'm just not excited for this film. MCU has just been flatlining of late, because they've found their winning formula and they're riding it all the way to the bank. It's mostly just based around likeable but somewhat arrogant white guys who eventually learn humility in the face of their powers. Periodically mix them around and give them some wacky friends of varied genders and races, and you've essentially made each Marvel film.
Crazedwraith wrote:To whit: Age Of Ultron and Civil War do not mesh at all. End of AOU: 'We're heroes we must prove it. Protect the civilians!' Beginning of CW: "We're disregard Civilians so badly everyone hates it! Look at all the dead people in Sokovia" And how much stronger would CW be if they'd not gone the Tony/Steve conflict route and build up their friendship instead. Likewise Tony's shift from renegade to government collaborate could have been set up before hand.
They should have addressed the greater problem there, which is that they were saving civilians from something that Stark built. I presume that the studio just doesn't want to remind people of the shitshow that was Age of Ultron, but they could have addressed the fact that the events of Civil War were a continuation of the rationale that gave the world Stark's crazy murderbot fiasco. Better explored, this could have made Captain America's position a bit stronger in CW.
"Oh no, oh yeah, tell me how can it be so fair
That we dying younger hiding from the police man over there
Just for breathing in the air they wanna leave me in the chair
Electric shocking body rocking beat streeting me to death"

- A.B. Original, Report to the Mist

"I think it’s the duty of the comedian to find out where the line is drawn and cross it deliberately."
- George Carlin
TheFeniX
Sith Marauder

Post by TheFeniX »

Gandalf wrote:I'm just not excited for this film. MCU has just been flatlining of late, because they've found their winning formula and they're riding it all the way to the bank. It's mostly just based around likeable but somewhat arrogant white guys who eventually learn humility in the face of their powers. Periodically mix them around and give them some wacky friends of varied genders and races, and you've essentially made each Marvel film.
While I don't give Marvel that much credit when it comes to their minority representation, I don't really see how this applies to Guardians. There's two arrogant white guys on the cast, one of whom is "The Hangover" guy doing VA for a genetically modified space Racoon. The other 3 are played by minority/female actors.

This is a far cry from Avengers where their one Diversity Hire is Scar-Jo. Or X-Men Apocalypse with Storm and Jubilee. I haven't seen it yet because it looked terrible, but I assume Storm is once again in the background and "Holy fucking shit, no one asked you to bring back Jubilee."
Elheru Aran
Emperor's Hand

Post by Elheru Aran »

TheFeniX wrote:
Gandalf wrote:I'm just not excited for this film. MCU has just been flatlining of late, because they've found their winning formula and they're riding it all the way to the bank. It's mostly just based around likeable but somewhat arrogant white guys who eventually learn humility in the face of their powers. Periodically mix them around and give them some wacky friends of varied genders and races, and you've essentially made each Marvel film.
While I don't give Marvel that much credit when it comes to their minority representation, I don't really see how this applies to Guardians. There's two arrogant white guys on the cast, one of whom is "The Hangover" guy doing VA for a genetically modified space Racoon. The other 3 are played by minority/female actors.

This is a far cry from Avengers where their one Diversity Hire is Scar-Jo. Or X-Men Apocalypse with Storm and Jubilee. I haven't seen it yet because it looked terrible, but I assume Storm is once again in the background and "Holy fucking shit, no one asked you to bring back Jubilee."
To be quite fair, Falcon is black, as is T'Challa, and Rhodey (though valid point that they weren't in any Avengers films apart from a short cameo by Rhodey in AoU).
It's a strange world. Let's keep it that way.
TheFeniX
Sith Marauder

Post by TheFeniX »

That's true, but the core Avengers team is 5 white guys and a white woman. With Storm taking a backseat in the old movies (and I assume the new movies): the X-Men crew is looking decidedly white. And for the women, they bank on Lawrence and Sansa Stark. It doesn't bother me personally, but I can see where Gandalf is coming from: there's a kind of a formula there. White dudes roll hard with competent and capable white women to back them up.

And you left out Sam Jackson. Don't... don't do that, he could be watching: he is after-all one bad motherfucker.

Anyways, Guardians breaks that mold. It's not a factor (at least not as far as I can tell) on why I liked the movie so much, but I can see how it could be for some people. Meanwhile, Fantastic 4 made Human Torch black and that had nothing to do with why that movie was so bad. On that note, no idea why it popped into my head: "Vampire in Brooklyn" was awesome.
General Zod
Never Shuts Up

Post by General Zod »

TheFeniX wrote:

Apocalypse was better than the drek that was X3 but it still had a lot of issues with its storytelling.
"It's you Americans. There's something about nipples you hate. If this were Germany, we'd be romping around naked on the stage here."
Vendetta
Emperor's Hand

Post by Vendetta »

TheFeniX wrote: Anyways, Guardians breaks that mold. It's not a factor (at least not as far as I can tell) on why I liked the movie so much, but I can see how it could be for some people. Meanwhile, Fantastic 4 made Human Torch black and that had nothing to do with why that movie was so bad. On that note, no idea why it popped into my head: "Vampire in Brooklyn" was awesome.
Fortunately the MCU is continuing its trend of rescuing former Human Torches.
General Zod
Never Shuts Up

Post by General Zod »

Vendetta wrote:
TheFeniX wrote: Anyways, Guardians breaks that mold. It's not a factor (at least not as far as I can tell) on why I liked the movie so much, but I can see how it could be for some people. Meanwhile, Fantastic 4 made Human Torch black and that had nothing to do with why that movie was so bad. On that note, no idea why it popped into my head: "Vampire in Brooklyn" was awesome.
What?
"It's you Americans. There's something about nipples you hate. If this were Germany, we'd be romping around naked on the stage here."
Gandalf
SD.net White Wizard

Post by Gandalf »

General Zod wrote:
Vendetta wrote:
What?
The most recent one (Michael B Jordan) will be in Black Panther.
"Oh no, oh yeah, tell me how can it be so fair
That we dying younger hiding from the police man over there
Just for breathing in the air they wanna leave me in the chair
Electric shocking body rocking beat streeting me to death"

- A.B. Original, Report to the Mist

"I think it’s the duty of the comedian to find out where the line is drawn and cross it deliberately."
- George Carlin
Iroscato
Jedi Council Member

Post by Iroscato »

Gandalf wrote:
General Zod wrote:
Vendetta wrote:
What?
The most recent one (Michael B Jordan) will be in Black Panther.
Oh wow, I didn't even know he was gonna be in Black Panther! Hopefully that truly means the Fant4stic series is dead as a doornail.

Though on the flipside, that probably means Fox will smash their faces on the reboot button again...
Yeah, I've always taken the subtext of the Birther movement to be, "The rules don't count here! This is different! HE'S BLACK! BLACK, I SAY! ARE YOU ALL BLIND!?

- Raw Shark

Destiny and fate are for those too weak to forge their own futures. Where we are 'supposed' to be is irrelevent.

- SirNitram (RIP)