Moana- Disney does Polynesian Myth

FAN: Discuss various fictional worlds that don't qualify for SF.

Moderator: Steve

Q99
Jedi Council Member

Moana- Disney does Polynesian Myth

Post by Q99 »

I saw Moana, and I loved it! As a mythology fan, it was nice to see Polynesian myth highlighted, and apparently quite faithfully.

Disney actually formed a scholarly and cultural trust of Polynesians to make sure they got things right

Plus it just continues Disney Animated's string of hits (98% at rotten tomatoes). Even among the recent batch of good ones, it's pretty high up there in my book.

Who else has caught it?
Iroscato
Jedi Council Member

Re: Moana- Disney does Polynesian Myth

Post by Iroscato »

It does look visually striking, and The Rock is always a win. I may check this out after Arrival, Disney's on a stellar run of late.
Yeah, I've always taken the subtext of the Birther movement to be, "The rules don't count here! This is different! HE'S BLACK! BLACK, I SAY! ARE YOU ALL BLIND!?

- Raw Shark

Destiny and fate are for those too weak to forge their own futures. Where we are 'supposed' to be is irrelevent.

- SirNitram (RIP)
Q99
Jedi Council Member

Post by Q99 »

Chimaera wrote:It does look visually striking, and The Rock is always a win. I may check this out after Arrival, Disney's on a stellar run of late.
Yes, you won't regret it.
madd0ct0r
Sith Acolyte

Post by madd0ct0r »

Q99 wrote:I saw Moana, and I loved it! As a mythology fan, it was nice to see Polynesian myth highlighted, and apparently quite faithfully.

Disney actually formed a scholarly and cultural trust of Polynesians to make sure they got things right

Plus it just continues Disney Animated's string of hits (98% at rotten tomatoes). Even among the recent batch of good ones, it's pretty high up there in my book.

Who else has caught it?

They kinda had to form a trust - those guys took on Lego over Bionicle and won, they've beaten the corps by copywriting their own myths :)
"Aid, trade, green technology and peace." - Hans Rosling.
"Welcome to SDN, where we can't see the forest because walking into trees repeatedly feels good, bro." - Mr Coffee
Majin Gojira
Sith Acolyte

Post by Majin Gojira »

I like that the "Giant Eagle" form of Maui is in fact Haast's Eagle, the largest eagle to ever live.
ISARMA: Daikaiju Coordinator: Just Add Radiation
Justice League- Molly Hayes: Respect Hats or Freakin' Else!
Browncoat
Supernatural Taisen - "[This Story] is essentially "Wouldn't it be awesome if this happened?" Followed by explosions."

Reviewing movies is a lot like Paleontology: The Evidence is there...but no one seems to agree upon it.

"God! Are you so bored that you enjoy seeing us humans suffer?! Why can't you let this poor man live happily with his son! What kind of God are you, crushing us like ants?!" - Kyoami, Ran
Q99
Jedi Council Member

Post by Q99 »

Majin Gojira wrote:I like that the "Giant Eagle" form of Maui is in fact Haast's Eagle, the largest eagle to ever live.
Ooh, I didn't know that... and it's from New Zealand too, so fitting!

The movie's inspired me to look at more Maui stories- he's a pretty great mythological figure.
Shroom Man 777
FUCKING DICK-STABBER!

Post by Shroom Man 777 »

It was really great and the Rock had some impressive pipes.
Image "DO YOU WORSHIP HOMOSEXUALS?" - Curtis Saxton (source)
shroom is a lovely boy and i wont hear a bad word against him - LUSY-CHAN!
Shit! Man, I didn't think of that! It took Shroom to properly interpret the screams of dying people :D - PeZook
Shroom, I read out the stuff you write about us. You are an endless supply of morale down here. :p - an OWS street medic
Pink Sugar Heart Attack!