Anyone have issues loading Dragon Age:Insurrection?

GEC: Discuss gaming, computers and electronics and venture into the bizarre world of STGODs.

Moderator: Thanas

Enigma
is a laughing fool.

Anyone have issues loading Dragon Age:Insurrection?

Post by Enigma »

I bought the GotY edition today and installed it but it wouldn't load at all. Just a black screen for a couple of seconds then kicks back to desktop. I've updated everything and the only progress I made was whitelisting the game on my AV software and that only gets the game to load for a brief moment, showing the DAI loading icon on the bottom right corner of the screen before kicking back to desktop again.

Any one else have or had this issue? Any solutions?
ASVS('97)/SDN('03)

"Whilst human alchemists refer to the combustion triangle, some of their orcish counterparts see it as more of a hexagon: heat, fuel, air, laughter, screaming, fun." Dawn of the Dragons

ASSCRAVATS!
TheFeniX
Sith Marauder

Re: Anyone have issues loading Dragon Age:Insurrection?

Post by TheFeniX »

I assume you mean Inquisition. NOTE: I have no experience with Origin.

First off, what are your specs and do you meet the minimum required? Are your drivers updated? What OS are you using and have you tried manually "killing" any non-required processes? Mainly, kill your anti-virus and possibly anything like Windows Defender if you run it. Run the game with Administrator privileges.

Are you trying to load it in Windowed or Fullscreen? Try the opposite if you can configure it. Also try lowering the resolution and moving any graphics settings to minimum.
General Zod
Never Shuts Up

Post by General Zod »

I've got Inquisition on Origin and it runs fine on my system without any fiddling. Though I have a pretty new gaming laptop with a 4gb card myself.
"It's you Americans. There's something about nipples you hate. If this were Germany, we'd be romping around naked on the stage here."
Enigma
is a laughing fool.

Post by Enigma »

I meant Inquisition. My computer does meet and exceed the recommended specs for the game.

CPU: Intel i5 2500K 3.3GHz
RAM: 16GB
GPU: Geforce GTX 960 4GB

My computer is up to date with the latest drivers and I'm running Win 10 Pro which is also up to date. I've whitelisted the game so that AVG wouldn't mess with it. I haven't tried Windows Defender since AFAIK it does nothing if I've got another AV software running but I'll try if I can whitelist the game there.
ASVS('97)/SDN('03)

"Whilst human alchemists refer to the combustion triangle, some of their orcish counterparts see it as more of a hexagon: heat, fuel, air, laughter, screaming, fun." Dawn of the Dragons

ASSCRAVATS!
Enigma
is a laughing fool.

Post by Enigma »

Just as I thought, Windows Defender isn't turned on, so I can't do anything there. Could the latest patch from Origin mess up the game?
ASVS('97)/SDN('03)

ASSCRAVATS!
Enigma
is a laughing fool.

Post by Enigma »

Removed AVG and got Windows Defender up and running. Still no dice. I thought maybe turning off Geforce Experience would do the trick but nope.

I'm thinking of downloading a cracked version of the game and see if it'll work.
ASVS('97)/SDN('03)

ASSCRAVATS!
General Zod
Never Shuts Up

Post by General Zod »

Enigma wrote:I meant Inquisition. My computer does meet and exceed the recommended specs for the game.

My computer is up to date with the latest drivers and I'm running Win 10 Pro which is also up to date. I've whitelisted the game so that AVG wouldn't mess with it. I haven't tried Windows Defender since AFAIK it does nothing if I've got another AV software running but I'll try if I can whitelist the game there.
Did you install it through Origin? The service where you got it from might be a problem.
Last edited by General Zod on 2016-11-26 01:08pm, edited 1 time in total.
"It's you Americans. There's something about nipples you hate. If this were Germany, we'd be romping around naked on the stage here."
TheFeniX
Sith Marauder

Post by TheFeniX »

Look under Documents\BioWare\Dragon Age Inquisition\Saves and delete/rename/move any profile files to see if this resets your settings and forces the game to remake the files. I'd delete any saves created, if the game even got that far, as well. Some users have reported the 3D setting of NVidia being enabled for DA:I. You could check and disable it. Some have also reported success by underclocking their RAM.

I found it last night, but cannot find it now. The latest patch can "forget" to set the patch revision to latest (I think it was 11) in a config file located somewhere I cannot recall.

There's more than a few driver/backend issues that could cause this problem. You may try installing C++ runtimes and Direct X End User files. Also, find and install the latest version of .net manually.

Memory Addressing might be an issue. I would look into ensuring you have the latest chipset/motherboard drivers for your card. There may also be a new soundcard driver for it as well. Failing that, you might also need a BIOS flash.

And welcome to poorly coded AAA trash-heaps. It's really hard to find out what might be wrong because there's so many people who had/have issues with this game. There even seems to be major issues with the PS3 version. GG.
Enigma
is a laughing fool.

Post by Enigma »

General Zod wrote:
Enigma wrote:I meant Inquisition. My computer does meet and exceed the recommended specs for the game.

Did you install it through Origin? The service where you got it from might be a problem.
Yeah it was through Origin. Is there a work around to load the game without Origin? Playing it offline does nothing.
ASVS('97)/SDN('03)

ASSCRAVATS!
Enigma
is a laughing fool.

Post by Enigma »

TheFeniX wrote:Look under Documents\BioWare\Dragon Age Inquisition\Saves and delete/rename/move any profile files to see if this resets your settings and forces the game to remake the files. I'd delete any saves created, if the game even got that far, as well. Some users have reported the 3D setting of NVidia being enabled for DA:I. You could check and disable it. Some have also reported success by underclocking their RAM.

I found it last night, but cannot find it now. The latest patch can "forget" to set the patch revision to latest (I think it was 11) in a config file located somewhere I cannot recall.

There's more than a few driver/backend issues that could cause this problem. You may try installing C++ runtimes and Direct X End User files. Also, find and install the latest version of .net manually.

Memory Addressing might be an issue. I would look into ensuring you have the latest chipset/motherboard drivers for your card. There may also be a new soundcard driver for it as well. Failing that, you might also need a BIOS flash.

And welcome to poorly coded AAA trash-heaps. It's really hard to find out what might be wrong because there's so many people who had/have issues with this game. There even seems to be major issues with the PS3 version. GG.
No profile as I can't even get that far. Just a brief black screen with the DAI loading icon then back to desktop. I have the PS3 version and never had issues with it. Just the copy I bought from Origin.

MB\Bios is up to date along with the GPU.

Also the C++ runtimes and the Direct X are all up to date.
ASVS('97)/SDN('03)

ASSCRAVATS!
General Zod
Never Shuts Up

Post by General Zod »

It looks like A clean boot might be one solution for you.
Enigma
is a laughing fool.

Post by Enigma »

General Zod wrote:It looks like A clean boot might be one solution for you.
Did that too. No change. I'm placing my bet on Origin screwing since their last update.
ASVS('97)/SDN('03)

ASSCRAVATS!
TheFeniX
Sith Marauder

Post by TheFeniX »

Could be their update. A few more longshot tries:

1. Run in compatibility mode. Windows 7 sometimes does the trick for me. Also, forcing 640x480 might AT LEAST get the game running so you can determine if it's the executables itself.

2. Roll back your video card driver in Device Manager. If that does nothing, delete the card out of device manager and reboot, though this is unlikely to do anything.

3. Completely reinstall GeForce everything. Uninstall, delete everything left in the temp folder, re-download the Experience, redownload and reinstall driver.

4. Another huge longshot, but this worked once WAY back for me for Natural Selection: delete your chipset and sound card devices out of Device Manager (but don't uninstall the drivers) and reboot.
General Zod
Never Shuts Up

Post by General Zod »

Enigma wrote:Removed AVG and got Windows Defender up and running. Still no dice. I thought maybe turning off Geforce Experience would do the trick but nope.

I'm thinking of downloading a cracked version of the game and see if it'll work.
Is Windows Firewall running? I've read that turning it off might solve some of the problems.
Enigma
is a laughing fool.

Post by Enigma »

General Zod wrote:
Enigma wrote:Removed AVG and got Windows Defender up and running. Still no dice. I thought maybe turning off Geforce Experience would do the trick but nope.

Is Windows Firewall running? I've read that turning it off might solve some of the problems.
No change.
ASVS('97)/SDN('03)

ASSCRAVATS!
Enigma
is a laughing fool.

Post by Enigma »

TheFeniX wrote:Could be their update. A few more longshot tries:

1. Run in compatibility mode. Windows 7 sometimes does the trick for me. Also, forcing 640x480 might AT LEAST get the game running so you can determine if it's the executables itself.

2. Roll back your video card driver in Device Manager. If that does nothing, delete the card out of device manager and reboot, though this is unlikely to do anything.

3. Completely reinstall GeForce everything. Uninstall, delete everything left in the temp folder, re-download the Experience, redownload and reinstall driver.

4. Another huge longshot, but this worked once WAY back for me for Natural Selection: delete your chipset and sound card devices out of Device Manager (but don't uninstall the drivers) and reboot.
Tried 1 and no change (Actually, the only change was that Origin asked me to login to activate the game. I did that and loaded for a couple of seconds before kicking back to desktop.).
As for #2, I tried playing it with an older video card driver and nothing happened. Then I updated it and no change. Not going to start removing the card from Device manager and reboot.
#3, I more or less did that (as in tried to update Experience but in the install it crashed and uninstalled itself. I had to reinstall Experience.) and no change.

Not going to bother with #4.
ASVS('97)/SDN('03)

ASSCRAVATS!
Civil War Man
NERRRRRDS!!!

Post by Civil War Man »

Did you try repairing the DA:I installation? Sometimes when an Origin game refuses to load for me, I run a repair to let Origin verify the integrity of the game files, and more often than not that fixes it.
General Zod
Never Shuts Up

Post by General Zod »

You could always try a Manual direct x installation.
TheFeniX
Sith Marauder

Post by TheFeniX »

Are there any Application warnings or errors related to the executable in Event Manager? Or really, are there any errors at all in Event Viewer? Also, did you have a chance to try Windowed Fullscreen or any other option? AVG problems seems to be a popular reported issue with this game, but you've already uninstalled it.

Try running MSCONFIG and selecting "Selective Startup" and uncheck "Load Startup Items." Do a full reboot after.
Executor32
Jedi Council Member
Location: In a Georgia courtroom, watching a spectacle unfold

Post by Executor32 »

I think Civil War Man has the right idea. In the smattering of threads I could find with the same symptom, the most common fix besides disabling/uninstalling AVG (which you've already done) was to uninstall and reinstall the game. Repairing the game from Origin (right-click its tile in your game library, then click Repair) should accomplish the same thing, so I'd try that first, and if that doesn't work then try uninstalling and reinstalling the game completely.
どうして?お前が夜に自身お触れるから。
Long ago in a distant land, I, Aku, the shape-shifting Master of Darkness, unleashed an unspeakable evil,
but a foolish samurai warrior wielding a magic sword stepped forth to oppose me. Before the final blow
was struck, I tore open a portal in time and flung him into the future, where my evil is law! Now, the fool
seeks to return to the past, and undo the future that is Aku...
-Aku, Master of Masters, Deliverer of Darkness, Shogun of Sorrow
Enigma
is a laughing fool.

Post by Enigma »

Repairing it did nothing but I managed to get it to work late last night. All I had to do was completely uninstall DAI and re-download it. Managed a couple of hour of play time before going to bed. Going to try playing it later today and see if it wasn't just a fluke.
ASVS('97)/SDN('03)

ASSCRAVATS!
TheFeniX
Sith Marauder

Post by TheFeniX »

Fun stuff. Did it by chance re-run the DirectX installer for the helper files? I just find it weird that this is sometimes the only fix. I recall someone here and one of my own gaming buddies having issues with Saint's Row. It took 3-4 complete deletions and reinstalls to fix it. I don't know if there's just some big files prone to corruption on download (maybe some leftover DRM?) or the fact that Microsoft forces you to use their DirectX installer for the helper files has something to do with it. I've wondered if Steam is unable to repair/redownload it which can make the file verification useless at times.

You'd think digital downloads would all be self-contained, but whatever. Glad you got it fixed, sorry I wasn't much help.
Executor32
Jedi Council Member
Location: In a Georgia courtroom, watching a spectacle unfold

Post by Executor32 »

It didn't run the DirectX installer for me when I recently reinstalled it to move it to my SSD. The files are there in the _Installer folder, though, so Origin might just be smart enough to check if it's even necessary first, unlike Steam.

Given that either disabling/uninstalling/adding an exception to AVG or completely reinstalling the game fixes it, while a file repair/validation does not, my money's on a permissions issue with some registry key somewhere.
どうして?お前が夜に自身お触れるから。
Long ago in a distant land, I, Aku, the shape-shifting Master of Darkness, unleashed an unspeakable evil,
but a foolish samurai warrior wielding a magic sword stepped forth to oppose me. Before the final blow
was struck, I tore open a portal in time and flung him into the future, where my evil is law! Now, the fool
seeks to return to the past, and undo the future that is Aku...
-Aku, Master of Masters, Deliverer of Darkness, Shogun of Sorrow
Enigma
is a laughing fool.

Post by Enigma »

TheFeniX wrote:Fun stuff. Did it by chance re-run the DirectX installer for the helper files? I just find it weird that this is sometimes the only fix. I recall someone here and one of my own gaming buddies having issues with Saint's Row. It took 3-4 complete deletions and reinstalls to fix it. I don't know if there's just some big files prone to corruption on download (maybe some leftover DRM?) or the fact that Microsoft forces you to use their DirectX installer for the helper files has something to do with it. I've wondered if Steam is unable to repair/redownload it which can make the file verification useless at times.

You'd think digital downloads would all be self-contained, but whatever. Glad you got it fixed, sorry I wasn't much help.
I ran DirectX at least twice and each time it said I was up to date. But it didn't do anything. I just deleted DAI and reinstalled the game, the only thing different this time around was that I did not download the multiplayer DLCs.

Now I get to have fun with the game. :)
ASVS('97)/SDN('03)

ASSCRAVATS!