Are there any pre-existing keyboard shortcuts to max out the volume instantly?

GEC: Discuss gaming, computers and electronics and venture into the bizarre world of STGODs.

Moderator: Thanas

Archinist
Padawan Learner

Are there any pre-existing keyboard shortcuts to max out the volume instantly?

Post by Archinist »

I am wondering if anything like these exist, or if you have to make your own/download stuff. It would be very useful to have, as you could turn your volume all the way up instantly with the press of one or two keyboard buttons, instead of pushing the buttons many times or holding them down.

BTW: I did google this before but found only a bunch of problems with phones.
Zixinus
Emperor's Hand

Re: Are there any pre-existing keyboard shortcuts to max out the volume instantly?

Post by Zixinus »

There isn't because this is one of those so obviously stupid ideas to do that nobody seriously considered that it would be an inconvenience. Because, you know, that's a great way to gain hearing damage. Which, combined with your earlier heaphone thread, suggests me that you WANT to inflict hearing damage on yourself or really confused by sound technology.
Credo!
Chat with me on Skype if you want to talk about writing, ideas or if you want a test-reader! PM for address.
The Vortex Empire
Jedi Council Member

Re: Are there any pre-existing keyboard shortcuts to max out the volume instantly?

Post by The Vortex Empire »

Do not turn your volume all the way up, you will get hearing loss if you do it at all regularly.
Lord Revan
Emperor's Hand

Post by Lord Revan »

my Volume is at 67% atm and I think it might even a bit too loud, there's no logical reason to boost your sound input to max for a personal PC (opposed one used for professional purposes).
I may be an idiot, but I'm a tolerated idiot
"I think you completely missed the point of sigs. They're supposed to be completely homegrown in the fertile hydroponics lab of your mind, dried in your closet, rolled, and smoked...
Oh wait, that's marijuana..."Einhander Sn0m4n
Bernkastel
Padawan Learner

Post by Bernkastel »

Ignoring the problem of deafening yourself, I do have to wonder why you need some special shortcut to ramp up your sound settings. On my laptop, it's just "click sound icon on taskbar, then adjust the volume setting". Zixinus definitely must be correct. I don't know what you are doing with your sound settings, but it's wrong.
My Fanfics - I write gay fanfics. Reviews/Feedback will always be greatly appreciated.
My Ko-Fi Page - Currently Seeking Aid with moving home
Archinist
Padawan Learner

Post by Archinist »

Bernkastel wrote:Ignoring the problem of deafening yourself, I do have to wonder why you need some special shortcut to ramp up your sound settings. On my laptop, it's just "click sound icon on taskbar, then adjust the volume setting". Zixinus definitely must be correct. I don't know what you are doing with your sound settings, but it's wrong.
Well, sometimes I need the sound settings to be lowered, so I use a group of three existing keyboard shortcuts, FN + F1, F2, F3, (Mute, Higher, Lower) volume controls. They are very handy as pressing 2 buttons is much easier and quicker than opening up the sound settings and clicking a tab and dragging the mouse over the control.

But sometimes I think it would be easier to just press one button once, a max volume along with the mute button. This would save having to press the raise volume button 8-10 times every time I do it. Instead, you just press one button, and BAM!
Bernkastel
Padawan Learner

Post by Bernkastel »

It takes a couple of seconds to adjust the sound via the volume bar. How much of a rush can you be in that using the mouse for that amount of time is just too damn slow for you?
My Fanfics - I write gay fanfics. Reviews/Feedback will always be greatly appreciated.
My Ko-Fi Page - Currently Seeking Aid with moving home
Zixinus
Emperor's Hand

Post by Zixinus »

What you want is configurable media buttons.
Credo!
Chat with me on Skype if you want to talk about writing, ideas or if you want a test-reader! PM for address.
Luke Starkiller
Jedi Knight

Post by Luke Starkiller »

Bernkastel wrote:It takes a couple of seconds to adjust the sound via the volume bar. How much of a rush can you be in that using the mouse for that amount of time is just too damn slow for you?
Archinist's specific case aside; when I upgraded from my old laptop to my new PC I got a bog standard keyboard and one of the things I find that I miss are having the volume controls available as a physical button. When running fullscreen applications it is a noticeable difference in convenience to have to alt+tab out to adjust the volume (not just max it randomly) than it was to just tap the built-in button.
What kind of dark wizard in league with nameless forces of primordial evil ARE you that you can't even make a successful sanity check versus BOREDOM? - Red Mage
Elheru Aran
Emperor's Hand

Post by Elheru Aran »

Perhaps his sound equipment is shit from burning it out when he deliberately overclocked his laptop to serve as a personal heater because he thinks jackets make you colder?
It's a strange world. Let's keep it that way.
The Vortex Empire
Jedi Council Member

Post by The Vortex Empire »

Elheru Aran wrote:Perhaps his sound equipment is shit from burning it out when he deliberately overclocked his laptop to serve as a personal heater because he thinks jackets make you colder?
Honestly after all these threads I'm finding it hard to believe that he isn't just a troll.
Archinist
Padawan Learner

Post by Archinist »

Now now, I use a USB sound adapter on my notebook, since the standard 3.5mm jack has been borged after a I let a bit of fluid accidentally leak inside.

Now, it gives off absolutely horrible sound and is also very weak and pathetic, which is why I need to turn up the volume to 100, otherwise you can barely hear it. Actually, even on 100 it is still only medium volume, and is devoid of any 'flavour'.
Titan Uranus
Padawan Learner

Post by Titan Uranus »

I...
Is there some kind of computer social services we can call, because this is a clear pattern of abuse at this point.

Seriously dude, how hard is it for you to not intentionally damage your laptop?
Do you have some kind of compulsion to wreck expensive electronics?
Archinist
Padawan Learner

Post by Archinist »

Titan Uranus wrote:I...
Is there some kind of computer social services we can call, because this is a clear pattern of abuse at this point.

No, it is clearly an accident. I was carrying it around in the rain, but most of it was only going on the top and was washing down the back. However, a few drops slid down the sides and embedded themselves into the audio port, then a few hours later it only played sound on one side.
LaCroix
Sith Acolyte

Post by LaCroix »

Archinist wrote:No, it is clearly an accident. I was carrying it around in the rain, but most of it was only going on the top and was washing down the back.
*blinks*

Carrying a laptop without any cover in the rain pretty much equates with intentional damaging the device. Or did yours come with a sticker of "Waterproof up to 30 feet"?
A minute's thought suggests that the very idea of this is stupid. A more detailed examination raises the possibility that it might be an answer to the question "how could the Germans win the war after the US gets involved?" - Captain Seafort, in a thread proposing a 1942 'D-Day' in Quiberon Bay

I do archery skeet. With a Trebuchet.
Tribble
Sith Devotee

Post by Tribble »

No, it is clearly an accident. I was carrying it around in the rain, but most of it was only going on the top and was washing down the back. However, a few drops slid down the sides and embedded themselves into the audio port, then a few hours later it only played sound on one side.
Ah, this all makes "sense" now!

One day Archinist was walking around in his backyard when it started to rain. He didn't want to put on a jacket (because they make you colder, you see) and he didn't want to go inside, so what does he do? He whips out his laptop and uses it as a heater, of course! During a rainstorm, because why not? To his great surprise, it turns out his laptop was not designed to be used as an outdoor heater during a rainstorm (shocking isn't it?), and now his laptop isn't working properly.
"I reject your reality and substitute my own!" - The official Troll motto, as stated by Adam Savage
Titan Uranus
Padawan Learner

Post by Titan Uranus »

Archinist wrote:
Titan Uranus wrote:I...

For this to work at all, it had to be heavy rain, and you had to be in the rain for awhile.

In any case, I find that electronics tend to work just fine after the water is removed, so given that water evaporates easily I suggest that you put your computer in the oven at 475 degrees Fahrenheit for an hour, it should be fine then.

But just in case, be sure to back up your data first.
Napoleon the Clown
Jedi Council Member

Post by Napoleon the Clown »

Titan Uranus wrote:For this to work at all, it had to be heavy rain, and you had to be in the rain for awhile.

In any case, I find that electronics tend to work just fine after the water is removed, so given that water evaporates easily I suggest that you put your computer in the oven at 475 degrees Fahrenheit for an hour, it should be fine then.

He's gonna fucking take your advice, you know. Assuming he's not just a very dedicated troll.
Sig images are for people who aren't fucking lazy.
Titan Uranus
Padawan Learner

Post by Titan Uranus »

Napoleon the Clown wrote:
Titan Uranus wrote:For this to work at all, it had to be heavy rain, and you had to be in the rain for awhile.

He's gonna fucking take your advice, you know. Assuming he's not just a very dedicated troll.
Good, I don't want his laptop to suffer any more.