Game mechanics - Shooting a moving man

GEC: Discuss gaming, computers and electronics and venture into the bizarre world of STGODs.

Moderator: Thanas

Jub
Sith Marauder

Re: Game mechanics - Shooting a moving man

Post by Jub »

Cyberpunk 2020 also has mechanics for keeping cool under fire, literally your Cool stat.
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

So did Godlike, come to think of it- even called it Cool too.

You could also take a superpower of having that to an inhumanly high degree, resulting in characters who were...

Hypercool.

8)
This space dedicated to Vasily Arkhipov
Cykeisme
Jedi Council Member

Post by Cykeisme »

I'm looking up Godlike now.
Mechanically, the "Height" and "Width" results taken from a single dice pool roll is very interesting.
I also like how keeping calm is an even larger factor than in most other RPGs, since the "Talents" (superpowered humans) start to lose the required willpower to harness their powers when they panic.

Also, Superhuman Coolness is a thing. That's cool.

Edit: Just pointlessly noting that in 40k tabletop, resisting fear and pinning uses an attribute called Leadership (even if the model/character wasn't leading anyone), in the Inquisitor game it was called "Nerve", and in FFG's 40kRPGs it's called "Willpower".
"..history has shown the best defense against heavy cavalry are pikemen, so aircraft should mount lances on their noses and fly in tight squares to fend off bombers". - RedImperator

"ha ha, raping puppies is FUN!" - Johonebesus

"It would just be Unicron with pew pew instead of nom nom". - Vendetta, explaining his justified disinterest in the idea of the movie Allspark affecting the Death Star
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

I found Godlike to be extremely interesting and always rather regretted never really getting a chance to play it. I got into a game that used the system once (though in the context of an entirely different setting), but it petered out very quickly.
This space dedicated to Vasily Arkhipov
Korto
Jedi Master

Post by Korto »

While we're talking about it, any idea what qualities would affect someone's ability to resist being 'pinned down' in real life ?
I'm thinking it would be training, and personal courage.
“I am the King of Rome, and above grammar”
Sigismund, Holy Roman Emperor
TheFeniX
Sith Marauder

Post by TheFeniX »

Korto wrote:While we're talking about it, any idea what qualities would affect someone's ability to resist being 'pinned down' in real life ?
I'm thinking it would be training, and personal courage.
The ability to view the bullets coming in their direction as abstract concepts rather than real lead balls that will fuck them up and the ability to filter out what's not important and focus on what is? You generally get that through training and experience.