Shin Godzilla (2016)

FAN: Discuss various fictional worlds that don't qualify for SF.

Moderator: Steve

ray245
Emperor's Hand

Shin Godzilla (2016)

Post by ray245 »

Apparently there is a new Godzilla out, and people who have seen it in Japan is saying this is a very interesting movie to watch, because of the very heavy socio-political commentary that went along with this film. While Japanese audience and reviewers seem to love it, western reviewers seem a little bit more wary about it.

Here's the trailers:

Apparently the director got the JSDF to plan out how they would attack Godzilla in the film, so I suppose the military would be a little more competent than usual in Godzilla flicks?
Last edited by LadyTevar on 2016-08-04 05:29pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Note: Remove the S from the Https in order to get Youtube vids to post -- LadyTevar
Humans are such funny creatures. We are selfish about selflessness, yet we can love something so much that we can hate something.
TithonusSyndrome
Sith Devotee

Re: Shin Godzilla (2016)

Post by TithonusSyndrome »

Lot of people saying good things about this movie, indeed. I hope to see it myself very soon.

However, I don't know what you can do that would be more "competent" than prior outings; if Godzilla can see you, he can blow you up instantaneously. Short of sitting inside a robot made of unobtanium from the 25th century or whatever, there's no strategy involving Godzilla having clear line-of-sight to you that is wise, except maybe using drones to harass him and draw him away from population centers.
ray245
Emperor's Hand

Post by ray245 »

TithonusSyndrome wrote:Lot of people saying good things about this movie, indeed. I hope to see it myself very soon.

However, I don't know what you can do that would be more "competent" than prior outings; if Godzilla can see you, he can blow you up instantaneously. Short of sitting inside a robot made of unobtanium from the 25th century or whatever, there's no strategy involving Godzilla having clear line-of-sight to you that is wise, except maybe using drones to harass him and draw him away from population centers.
Well if a military would actually stop using rifles against a giant monster that alone would be an improvement.
Humans are such funny creatures. We are selfish about selflessness, yet we can love something so much that we can hate something.
TithonusSyndrome
Sith Devotee

Sure, but broadsiding Godzilla from the far side of a river with every tank in the JSDF isn't improvement enough, as the trailer shows. If there were a platoon of Chinese tanks with no air support in downtown Tokyo or wherever, they'd probably lead off with some naval bombardment at a distance or anything that prevents them from putting assets directly in harm's way. For whatever reason, the exact same logic about not unnecessarily risking the lives of servicemen doesn't apply.
ray245
Emperor's Hand

Post by ray245 »

Well, those scenes are mainly designed to be visually stimulating as opposed to the entirely realisitc. So while the military seems more competent by attacking the eyes of Godzilla to prevent him from seeing his enemies, they aren't going to make it too boring for the average audience.
LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

They added another foot to his tail, didn't they. It's longer than he is tall!
Nitram, slightly high on cough syrup: Do you know you're beautiful?
Me: Nope, that's why I have you around to tell me.
Nitram: You -are- beautiful. Anyone tries to tell you otherwise kill them.

"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP" -- Leonard Nimoy, last Tweet
TithonusSyndrome
Sith Devotee

I know it's supposed to look ominous, but to me it just looks like he's waving around a big ol' log of donair meat over his head.
Tsyroc
Emperor's Hand

Post by Tsyroc »

From what I have heard not only can he shoot beams from his mouth they also come from the tip of his tail, which is part of the reason it looks kind of weird.

So far, the couple of reviews I've seen have liked this movie as a different take on Godzilla. One review even commented that the 2014 Godzilla is the standard Godzilla that fanboys are always clamoring for more of, and this version is the Japanese doing it a bit different. It certainly sounds like it is pretty creepy.

Probably not going to be one of my favorite Godzilla movies but I'm looking forward to seeing it.

By the way, did people in North America see that Return of Godzilla is finally available on Blu-Ray and DVD? Both are inexpensive.* I've never seen anything but the American Godzilla 1985 before so I am looking forward to this video release.

*Amazon was actually listing prices lower than the announcement page is stating.

I'm probably going to end up missing the Dr. Pepper stuff from the US version and miss the inclusion of Bambi Meets Godzilla. :D
By the pricking of my thumb,
Something wicked this way comes.
Open, locks,
Whoever knocks.
Iroscato
Jedi Council Member

Post by Iroscato »

Uh...why are they still using a guy in a rubber suit to portray Godzilla?
Yeah, I've always taken the subtext of the Birther movement to be, "The rules don't count here! This is different! HE'S BLACK! BLACK, I SAY! ARE YOU ALL BLIND!?

- Raw Shark

Destiny and fate are for those too weak to forge their own futures. Where we are 'supposed' to be is irrelevent.

- SirNitram (RIP)
Borgholio
Sith Acolyte

Post by Borgholio »

Chimaera wrote:Uh...why are they still using a guy in a rubber suit to portray Godzilla?
Tradition.
You will be assimilated...bunghole!
ray245
Emperor's Hand

Post by ray245 »

Chimaera wrote:Uh...why are they still using a guy in a rubber suit to portray Godzilla?
They aren't Godzilla is CGI.

ray245
Emperor's Hand

Post by ray245 »

A better video showing off the CGI. Basically, they made a CGI Godzilla look as suit-like as possible to ensure it looks more "realistic".

Iroscato
Jedi Council Member

Post by Iroscato »

Well bugger me, that is impressive. Guess they made it look like a rubber suit for the aforementioned 'tradition' then, in that case.
Yeah, I've always taken the subtext of the Birther movement to be, "The rules don't count here! This is different! HE'S BLACK! BLACK, I SAY! ARE YOU ALL BLIND!?

- Raw Shark

Destiny and fate are for those too weak to forge their own futures. Where we are 'supposed' to be is irrelevent.

- SirNitram (RIP)
Majin Gojira
Sith Acolyte

Post by Majin Gojira »

So, the Philippine trailer spoils a LOT of the film regarding Godzilla. And . . . Holy shit.

Just . . . Holy shit. Look at this madness! I think this may rival the Final Wars Godzilla in terms of sheer insane ability.

So many new or expanded abilities . . .
ISARMA: Daikaiju Coordinator: Just Add Radiation
Justice League- Molly Hayes: Respect Hats or Freakin' Else!
Browncoat
Supernatural Taisen - "[This Story] is essentially "Wouldn't it be awesome if this happened?" Followed by explosions."

Reviewing movies is a lot like Paleontology: The Evidence is there...but no one seems to agree upon it.

"God! Are you so bored that you enjoy seeing us humans suffer?! Why can't you let this poor man live happily with his son! What kind of God are you, crushing us like ants?!" - Kyoami, Ran
applejack
Padawan Learner

Post by applejack »

Sorry to bump this up from the second page, but I just wanted to remind people that Shin Godzilla is currently in theaters in America. It's for a week only, from October 11-18, so you only have a few days left if you want to see it in theaters.

I saw it a couple days ago, and I have to say that while I wasn't blown away by it, I definitely didn't mind seeing it on the big screen. The first half of the film was the best since it portrayed Japanese bureaucracy almost to the point of parody in its machinations. It's very amusing. Godzilla doesn't mature until halfway through, but by then the movie stops being funny and the people start to get boring. The resolution is pretty anticlimactic.
TithonusSyndrome wrote:Short of sitting inside a robot made of unobtanium from the 25th century or whatever, there's no strategy involving Godzilla having clear line-of-sight to you that is wise, except maybe using drones to harass him and draw him away from population centers.
**SPOILERS**

Drones come in towards the end when the US attacks Godzilla to get him to use his new laser abilities to shoot them down since he has to recharge for a while after a certain amount of energy expenditure. That's when the Japanese roll tankers up to Big G and pump some sort of blood coagulant into his mouth to shut down his internal reactor.

There really wasn't much the JSDF could do to lead Godzilla anywhere. He was pretty oblivious to all the shots coming in at him, including autocannon fire and hellfire missiles to his face and 120mm tank gun fire to his legs. Even when Japanese F2 fighters dropped bombs on him (JDAMS, I think), he really didn't do much. It's wasn't until the US dropped a massive ordnance penetrator bomb into the nape of his neck did he react and go all laser crazy.
Dear Lord, the gods have been good to me. As an offering, I present these milk and cookies. If you wish me to eat them instead, please give me no sign whatsoever *pauses* Thy will be done *munch munch munch*. - Homer Simpson
AniThyng
Sith Devotee

Post by AniThyng »

My only complaint is that they really should have found an actual Japanese American to play the Japanese American character. Or at least some one who could pull off the English...
I do know how to spell
AniThyng is merely the name I gave to what became my favourite Baldur's Gate II mage character :P
Q99
Jedi Council Member

Post by Q99 »

Watched it, loved it! It's 'Godzilla vs bureaucracy'... and way more tense than you may think from that!

The politicians are generally competent and well intentions, but in a situation out of their- or anyone's- depth. Plans make sense for what info they have at the time, and get revised when new problems are unveiled. And this Godzilla starts out seeming minor but graduating to practically a walking apocalypse.
Majin Gojira
Sith Acolyte

Post by Majin Gojira »

I concur with Q99, this was quite a tense movie for what it was. A political thriller of sorts (though some satire is thrown in).

Also to note this Godzilla also survived largely unscratched from MOAB hits. One managed to hit a weak spot, but other than that, he survived. That's damn impressive.
Browncoat
Supernatural Taisen - "[This Story] is essentially "Wouldn't it be awesome if this happened?" Followed by explosions."

Reviewing movies is a lot like Paleontology: The Evidence is there...but no one seems to agree upon it.

"God! Are you so bored that you enjoy seeing us humans suffer?! Why can't you let this poor man live happily with his son! What kind of God are you, crushing us like ants?!" - Kyoami, Ran
Q99
Jedi Council Member

Post by Q99 »

Majin Gojira wrote:I concur with Q99, this was quite a tense movie for what it was. A political thriller of sorts (though some satire is thrown in).

Also to note this Godzilla also survived largely unscratched from MOAB hits. One managed to hit a weak spot, but other than that, he survived. That's damn impressive.

This Godzilla's capabilities were quite interesting. It's not *as* unhurtable as some others, they injured it with those giant bunker-busters, but it's still beyond any reasonable means to stop. It's offensive capabilities are fairly unsurpassed, especially in area of destruction, but using them is a far greater effort on Godzilla's part.

In some ways, it's less powerful than several others. In others, it's the most apocalyptic.
Majin Gojira
Sith Acolyte

Post by Majin Gojira »

Offensively, this is definitely one of the most powerful. Aside from being the largest (though not the strongest), all forms of its breath attack are devastatingly powerful.

The first "Fire" form combined with the black gas attack (whatever it was, it was certainly incendiary) set an entire ward on fire.

The proper beam, they describe it IIRC, as a "Photon Beam" is the most properly laser-like of the breath weapons seen. It burned through everything in its path without stopping.

The "Dorsal" beams were combined with a Radar-like system to shoot down incoming attackers, but it had high energy costs, leading to the 'twin beam' mode of mouth and tail blasting to pinpoint strikes. And when it got moving, it could really move.

Definitely strong on offense.

Defense, it's no slouch either. It ignored almost every attack against it until the MOABs were dropped by the Americans. That penetrated its armor and did some damage, but it still recovered from it pretty quickly. Its self-healing ability is not on par with Heisei's, but it's not bad at all. Especially considering that those things are meant to be bunker busters/mountain levelers.

The Reactive Evolution/Self-induced metamorphosis is one of the most dangerous abilities ever given to Godzilla. Given time, it can adapt to everything thrown at it. If it were not frozen quickly, maybe one of the tail spawn horrors might have escaped and kept on being a threat.

Or it may have already . . .
Browncoat

Q99
Jedi Council Member

Post by Q99 »

The active defense of the dorsal beams certainly makes it a different sort of challenge than many others.

The adaptation almost certainly has some limits- well, energy use most obviously- but the flexibility it grants it makes many longer-term strategies iffy at best.
LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

Of course it never shows ANYWHERE NEAR my city. :(
Nitram, slightly high on cough syrup: Do you know you're beautiful?
Me: Nope, that's why I have you around to tell me.
Nitram: You -are- beautiful. Anyone tries to tell you otherwise kill them.

"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP" -- Leonard Nimoy, last Tweet
Q99
Jedi Council Member

Post by Q99 »

LadyTevar wrote:Of course it never shows ANYWHERE NEAR my city. :(
I'm in the *US's capital* and yet we've never had a giant monster attack, not even once!
Elheru Aran
Emperor's Hand

Post by Elheru Aran »

Q99 wrote:
LadyTevar wrote:Of course it never shows ANYWHERE NEAR my city. :(
I'm in the *US's capital* and yet we've never had a giant monster attack, not even once!
Probably got out of breath trying to climb those West Virginia mountains.

DC would actually be easier for Godzilla to attack, provided it uses the Panama Canal...
It's a strange world. Let's keep it that way.
Majin Gojira
Sith Acolyte

Post by Majin Gojira »

One thing I want to add is that I really liked the score. Not just the use of classic Toho tracks, but the score overall. So many big American blockbusters have had a crap musical score -- utterly unmemorable. This one had tunes you could hum.

Admittedly, the most hum-able ones were the Akira Ifukube tracks, but still!
Browncoat