How do commbadges and pips stick?

PST: discuss Star Trek without "versus" arguments.

Moderator: Vympel

FaxModem1
Emperor's Hand

How do commbadges and pips stick?

Post by FaxModem1 »

Simple enough question, how do the pips and commbadges in TNG, DS9, and Voyager work? When seen off the a person's uniform, there is no lapel pin, nor is there a magnet to hide it in place. So, in universe, how do they attach?
Borgholio
Sith Acolyte

Re: How do commbadges and pips stick?

Post by Borgholio »

They often make a noise when pulling them off or putting them on. I gather it is some kind of miniature latch of some kind or a molecular bonding mechanism. Babylon 5 did the same thing with their combadges...they stuck to the skin without adhesive.
You will be assimilated...bunghole!
Batman
Emperor's Hand
Location: Seriously thinking about moving to Marvel because so much of the DCEU stinks

Post by Batman »

Err-how do you know there IS no magnet to hold it in place? The magnet would be on the inside of the uniform so you'd never see it and about half the real-world replicas worked that way.
'Next time I let Superman take charge, just hit me. Real hard.'
'You're a princess from a society of immortal warriors. I'm a rich kid with issues. Lots of issues.'
'No. No dating for the Batman. It might cut into your brooding time.'
'Tactically we have multiple objectives. So we need to split into teams.'-'Dibs on the Amazon!'
'Hey, we both have a Martian's phone number on our speed dial. I think I deserve the benefit of the doubt.'
'You know, for a guy with like 50 different kinds of vision, you sure are blind.'
Axton
Padawan Learner

Post by Axton »

That was my thought. Magnet is embedded behind the fabric.
Maximum effort!
Crazedwraith
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crazedwraith »

They stick very well thank you.

Magnets or some sci-fi adhesive.
SpottedKitty
Jedi Master

Post by SpottedKitty »

Technobabble-powered static cling, I always thought.
“Despite rumor, Death isn't cruel — merely terribly, terribly good at his job.”
Terry Pratchett, Sourcery
FaxModem1
Emperor's Hand

Post by FaxModem1 »

Crazedwraith wrote:They stick very well thank you.
:lol:
Prometheus Unbound
Jedi Master

Post by Prometheus Unbound »

FaxModem1 wrote:
Crazedwraith wrote:They stick very well thank you.
:lol:
It's from when someone once asked the producers at a con how do the heisenburg compensatory work and they replied 'very well thanks'
NecronLord wrote:
Also, shorten your signature a couple of lines please.
SpottedKitty
Jedi Master

Post by SpottedKitty »

Prometheus Unbound wrote:It's from when someone once asked the producers at a con how do the heisenburg compensatory work and they replied 'very well thanks'
Should have added "as long as nobody looks at the status display"... Image

(FWIW, the version I heard, it was Patrick Stewart being asked about the warp drive; wouldn't surprise me if there were a dozen or more versions making the rounds.)
“Despite rumor, Death isn't cruel — merely terribly, terribly good at his job.”
Terry Pratchett, Sourcery
U.P. Cinnabar
Sith Marauder

Post by U.P. Cinnabar »

SpottedKitty wrote:
Prometheus Unbound wrote:It's from when someone once asked the producers at a con how do the heisenburg compensatory work and they replied 'very well thanks'
Should have added "as long as nobody looks at the status display"... Image

(FWIW, the version I heard, it was Patrick Stewart being asked about the warp drive; wouldn't surprise me if there were a dozen or more versions making the rounds.)
I've heard both, actually. Micheal Okuda at a Vulkon some years ago answered the Heisenberg compensator question with "very well, thanks," and Stewart used that same answer to someone who asked about the warp drive at, I want to say, a Dixie Trek, but it was so far in the distant past(like yesterday), that I can't be sure.

The late Jimmy Doohan tried to come up with technical explanations for some of the workings of Treknology, and those explanations were fanon for some time.

(Pity about his Alzheimer's. He was a class act in his prime, same with Nichelle Nichols, George Takei, Gates McFadden, and even Johnathan Frakes)
"Beware the Beast, Man, for he is the Devil's pawn. Alone amongst God's primates, he kills for sport, for lust, for greed. Yea, he will murder his brother to possess his brother's land. Let him not breed in great numbers, for he will make a desert of his home and yours. Shun him, drive him back into his jungle lair, for he is the harbinger of Death.."
—29th Scroll, 6th Verse of Ape Law
"Indelible in the hippocampus is the laughter. The uproarious laughter between the two, and their having fun at my expense.”
---Doctor Christine Blasey-Ford