So how is the war going?

N&P: Discuss governments, nations, politics and recent related news here.

Moderators: Alyrium Denryle, Edi, K. A. Pital

HemlockGrey
Fucking Awesome

So how is the war going?

Post by HemlockGrey »

With the media appearing to focus on all the 'setbacks' recently, I'd like your opinion.

How well do you think the war is being managed?
The End of Suburbia
"If more cars are inevitable, must there not be roads for them to run on?"
-Robert Moses

"The Wire" is the best show in the history of television. Watch it today.
Vympel
Spetsnaz
Spetsnaz

Post by Vympel »

No plan survives first contact with the enemy. The media are morons with the long-sightedness of a fucking mole. Regardless, the decapitation attack at the start was a big fuckup, IMO. Gulf War 3 started off with a whimper. Shock and awe? Nothing came of it.

I am somewhat surprised by the Iraqi will to resist. You have thousands of regular troops fighting, when the common perception was they would surrender en masse :roll:
Like Legend of Galactic Heroes? Please contribute to http://gineipaedia.com/
Axis Kast
Vympel's Bitch

Post by Axis Kast »

The war is going very well.

American losses total somewhere around 50 killed and 14 taken prisoner while the British count (I believe) 16 to 20 losses of their own - mostly as a result of accidents. Hundreds have been wounded. This in return for hundreds – if not over a thousand – Iraqi soldiers dead, thousands wounded, and three thousand in custody.

We’re talking about the fastest-moving ground campaign in the history of warfare. While you or I might call it “unexpectedly expensive,” it doesn’t negate that we’re making a great deal of progress. Hussein’s command structure is crumbling outside of Baghdad; his major defenses are now largely in ruins; most Iraqi forces are rooted out within twenty-four hours; Coalition reinforcements are moving quickly into position in order to cordon off pockets of resistance behind-the-lines; few oil wells have begun to burn thus far, with optimistic estimates of recovery for those that have.

Am I personally surprised by the will of the Iraqis to fight? Yes, but that was willfull blindness on my part. I expected something, but it wasn't my troops being captured. Was that likely, thinking back on it now? Again, yes. But does this mean we're losing or will be unable to meet objectives? No.
Durandal
Bile-Driven Hate Machine

Post by Durandal »

I'm surprised at the amount of resistance the Iraqis have put up thus far. It looks like the waves of surrendering troops happy to see Americans are over, and it'll be all fighting from here on in.

Let's be honest, though. Most Americans went into this thinking that the Iraqis didn't stand a chance at even touching one of our guys. I think that people are starting to realize that this is a real war, and there are going to be real consequences.
Damien Sorresso

"Ever see what them computa bitchez do to numbas? It ain't natural. Numbas ain't supposed to be code, they supposed to quantify shit."
- The Onion
Dahak
Emperor's Hand

Post by Dahak »

Axis Kast wrote:The war is going very well.
most Iraqi forces are rooted out within twenty-four hours; Coalition reinforcements are moving quickly into position in order to cordon off pockets of resistance behind-the-lines;
Well, Umm Kasr and Basra took (or still take) longer than a mere 24 hours to "pacify"...
Great Dolphin Conspiracy - Chatter box
"Implications: we have been intercepted deliberately by a means unknown, for a purpose unknown, and transferred to a place unknown by a form of intelligence unknown. Apart from the unknown, everything is obvious." ZORAC
GALE Force Euro Wimp
Human dignity shall be inviolable. To respect and protect it shall be the duty of all state authority.
Axis Kast
Vympel's Bitch

Post by Axis Kast »

At most, those sites take seventy-two hours to clear out. We're talking about the difference between "control" and "occupy." Overall, the thrust at Baghdad is still going very well.

I agree with Durandal. Many of us expected a less vigorous fight from the Iraqis, but that was unrealistic in the first place and our casualties are far from horrendous.
Montcalm
Emperor's Hand

Post by Montcalm »

If what i heard is true i say good,small pocket of Iraqi opposition are firing at Saddam`s army in Basra. 8)
Jerry Orbach 1935 2004
Admiral Valdemar~You know you've fucked up when Wacky Races has more realistic looking vehicles than your own.
EmperorChrostas the Cruel
Rabid Monkey

Post by EmperorChrostas the Cruel »

Those who say this is taking too long, are either VERY ignorant of the way wars are fought, or watched too damn much MTV, and have the attention span of a housefly.

What, no action in the last 10 minutes? What the fuck is taking them so long? :roll:

This will be a matter of weeks, not days.
Then comes the "afterplay".

The LAST gulf war had WEEKS of preliminary are bombardment, prior to the ground assualt, which was limited in scope to kicking the Iraqs out of Kuwait.

If this takes less than 90 days, it is a new word record.

Does anyong remember when wars took YEARS?
And thousands died, not tens? Millions?
Hmmmmmm.

"It is happening now, It has happened before, It will surely happen again."
Oldest member of SD.net, not most mature.
Brotherhood of the Monkey
TrailerParkJawa
Sith Acolyte

Re: So how is the war going?

Post by TrailerParkJawa »

HemlockGrey wrote:With the media appearing to focus on all the 'setbacks' recently, I'd like your opinion.

I think sometimes the media might be a bit embarassed by giving the idea that the entire war will be easy or quick. They often report how well things are going before the Pentagon does and when things turn around, it is easier to blame the military than looking at their own reporting.

just my two cents.

I dont think the military is without blame I just think this time the press had an idea of how things were going to unfold and reported that before really seeing what happened.
MEMBER of the Anti-PETA Anti-Facist LEAGUE
Montcalm
Emperor's Hand

Post by Montcalm »

Emperor Chrostas the Crue wrote:Those who say this is taking too long, are either VERY ignorant of the way wars are fought, or watched too damn much MTV, and have the attention span of a housefly.

What, no action in the last 10 minutes? What the fuck is taking them so long? :roll:

This will be a matter of weeks, not days.
Then comes the "afterplay".

The LAST gulf war had WEEKS of preliminary are bombardment, prior to the ground assualt, which was limited in scope to kicking the Iraqs out of Kuwait.

If this takes less than 90 days, it is a new word record.

Does anyong remember when wars took YEARS?
And thousands died, not tens? Millions?
I guess when they watch a war movie since the movie last about two hours,they think thats the time war last in real life. :?
Jerry Orbach 1935 2004
Admiral Valdemar~You know you've fucked up when Wacky Races has more realistic looking vehicles than your own.
Master of Ossus
Darkest Knight

Re: So how is the war going?

Post by Master of Ossus »

HemlockGrey wrote:With the media appearing to focus on all the 'setbacks' recently, I'd like your opinion.

I think it's going quite well, actually. Saddam Hussein may already be dead, but if he isn't then he's clearly not in charge of his forces in the field.

The Americans and British are pushing quite rapidly towards Baghdad, and in spite of the problems they've accomplished a great deal towards preparing for the final battles.

The Iraqi victories have all been highly localized, and the recent revolt in Basra against Iraqi forces, coupled with the Iraqi loss of coherency and their loss of the PR campaign has crippled their ability to win a staying contest. Moreover, most of the Iraqi divisions in the South crumbed without much of a fight, leaving only the elite Iraqi forces to fight on--exactly as the Americans and British planners had predicted.
"Sometimes I think you WANT us to fail." "Shut up, just shut up!" -Two Guys from Kabul

Latinum Star Recipient; Hacker's Cross Award Winner

"one soler flar can vapririze the planit or malt the nickl in lass than millasacit" -Bagara1000

"Happiness is just a Flaming Moe away."
jegs2
Imperial Spook

Post by jegs2 »

War is not a video game. The differences between the first war against Iraq and this one are countless, as are causes and effects, all of which have been tiresomely discussed. Once we cut off the head of the snake and demonstrate that head to the Iraqi people, resistance will inevitably crumble.
John 3:16-18
Warwolves G2
The University of North Alabama Lions!