How many colonies were cultural isolationists?

PST: discuss Star Trek without "versus" arguments.

Moderator: Vympel

FaxModem1
Emperor's Hand

How many colonies were cultural isolationists?

Post by FaxModem1 »

In Star Trek, we encounter a few colonies that are made up almost solely(if not completely) of one subset of people, out to form their own colony on some planet. Just how many colonies seem to be comprised of these types of groups? We have at least three examples of this happening along nation state/racial lines. Caldos II, from Sub Rosa, was meant to be an authentic Scotland, to the point of transporting buildings brick by brick to the colony, adopting the dress and style, and trying to adopt a 'Scottish' life style. The 'Indian'/Native American colonies from the episode Journey's End that were ceded to the Cardassians, seemed to be of similar thought. Finally, the 'authentic Irish' colony from Up The Long Ladder wherein the colonists wanted to adopt a medieval and authentic Irish lifestyle.

There's also the colonies which were made solely because of their differences from others. Moab IV believed in a masterpiece society, and wanted to remain isolationist to keep their society 'perfect'. The colony found by Sisko and O'Brien in Paradise that consisted of no technology and was run by one woman's philosophy, etc.

So, what does this say about the Federation? Does the UFP try to throw away the melting pot? Is mixing of different cultures frowned upon, viewed as cultural appropriation of some sort? Are these just the outliers, kooks, and Utopians that abandon the modern world to make their own in a society of hundreds of billions and the UFP doesn't care about these fringe groups separating? Is it a boon for the UFP, as someone needs to settle the frontier of society,and these people wanted to be away from everyone else anyway?

What are your thoughts?
madd0ct0r
Sith Acolyte

Re: How many colonies were cultural isolationists?

Post by madd0ct0r »

I think it's your last two sentances. It's modelled off the colonisation of the new world by europe anyway. Founding a colony is hard, and painful and leaving comfort and stability for poverty and possible early death requires you to be believe in something bigger than yourself (or be greedy and very risk tolerant).

It acts as a pressure valve for the federation, and once a colony or society grows to a certain size it'll start to fragement socially, over generations naturally moving towards something where most people are fine with joining the federation while a few die-hards move out to the frontier again.
"Aid, trade, green technology and peace." - Hans Rosling.
"Welcome to SDN, where we can't see the forest because walking into trees repeatedly feels good, bro." - Mr Coffee
Broomstick
Emperor's Hand

Post by Broomstick »

The Federation, for the most part, is a cosmopolitan, multi-species society. I think those colonies you mention are simply separatists who have enough room to be separate - sort of like how the Amish and a couple other groups are embedded in the larger US. There's enough room in the Federation for both those who want to be part of a melting pot, and those who want to remain an unmelted nugget.
A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. Leonard Nimoy.

Now I did a job. I got nothing but trouble since I did it, not to mention more than a few unkind words as regard to my character so let me make this abundantly clear. I do the job. And then I get paid.- Malcolm Reynolds, Captain of Serenity, which sums up my feelings regarding the lawsuit discussed here.

If a free society cannot help the many who are poor, it cannot save the few who are rich. - John F. Kennedy

Sam Vimes Theory of Economic Injustice
FaxModem1
Emperor's Hand

Post by FaxModem1 »

Do most colonies consist of separatists, or are these just the fringe ones?
SpottedKitty
Jedi Master

Post by SpottedKitty »

FaxModem1 wrote:Do most colonies consist of separatists, or are these just the fringe ones?
I was assuming most of the colonies we see in various episodes are fringe ones (or have a fun Deep Dark Dread Secret™ for Our Heroes to uncover) — all the others are dull as ditchwater. :wink:
“Despite rumor, Death isn't cruel — merely terribly, terribly good at his job.”
Terry Pratchett, Sourcery
Lord Revan
Emperor's Hand

Post by Lord Revan »

SpottedKitty wrote:
FaxModem1 wrote:Do most colonies consist of separatists, or are these just the fringe ones?
I was assuming most of the colonies we see in various episodes are fringe ones (or have a fun Deep Dark Dread Secret™ for Our Heroes to uncover) — all the others are dull as ditchwater. :wink:
yeah I think it's like it's with transporters in that we're only meant to pay attention to transporter use when something atypical is happening (like for example transporters aren't working for what ever reason) and normally no real attention is given to transporter use, it's like taking a bus/car to work. Same way I suspect that most colonies are "nothing special" and thus we're not suppose to pay attention to them as it wouldn't make really good to have an episode where the Enterprise makes a routine suppy run to a colony nothing special happend during the run "the end", where as if a colony has something special it's put into to focus, which creates the false image that all colonies are somehow special this is of course speculation but it's not totally unfounded.
I may be an idiot, but I'm a tolerated idiot
"I think you completely missed the point of sigs. They're supposed to be completely homegrown in the fertile hydroponics lab of your mind, dried in your closet, rolled, and smoked...
Oh wait, that's marijuana..."Einhander Sn0m4n
Tribble
Sith Devotee

Post by Tribble »

What's the difference between a colony and a member world? Is it similar to the difference between a State and a Territory? Do colonies have any voting rights or representatives on the Federation Council, or are only member worlds represented?
"I reject your reality and substitute my own!" - The official Troll motto, as stated by Adam Savage
Lord Revan
Emperor's Hand

Post by Lord Revan »

Tribble wrote:What's the difference between a colony and a member world? Is it similar to the difference between a State and a Territory? Do colonies have any voting rights or representatives on the Federation Council, or are only member worlds represented?
I don't think it was ever stated in any official material.
"I think you completely missed the point of sigs. They're supposed to be completely homegrown in the fertile hydroponics lab of your mind, dried in your closet, rolled, and smoked...
Elheru Aran
Emperor's Hand

Post by Elheru Aran »

Lord Revan wrote:
Tribble wrote:What's the difference between a colony and a member world? Is it similar to the difference between a State and a Territory? Do colonies have any voting rights or representatives on the Federation Council, or are only member worlds represented?
Not as far as I know, no. There may be unofficial representatives, 'lobbyists' so to speak who may angle for influence with Council members, but that's purely speculation on my part. I suspect the case is mostly that colonies are pretty much on their own until they gain enough population or influence to be able to apply for membership in the Federation.
It's a strange world. Let's keep it that way.
Prometheus Unbound
Jedi Master

Post by Prometheus Unbound »

Lord Revan wrote:
No it hasn't, but I think it's clear it's meant to be:

Member World - Earth
Colony - Terra Nova, Lunar One colony, Mars Colony, Proxima Colony, Vega Colony etc

Member World - Vulcan
Colony: P'Jem, Paan Mokar, Vulcanis Lunar colony

Member World - Andor / Andoria
Colony: Weytahn

Member World - Rigel 4
Colony: Rigel 6

Member World - Bajor (well no, but examples people)
Colony: New Bajor

So there's 150 odd member worlds (150 species) but they could have anywhere from 0 to thousands of colonies. Presumably Earth / Humans are on the higher end of that scale, whilst someone like the Chell (those small freaks from ST:I) have no colonies.

Of course that said, what happens when a colony gets to a big size? The Federation has over a trillion people in it - What is a colony that has half a billion? Is that then a Member World due to its size?

Dunno. And totally debateable.

But I'd say there's probably 150 ish members of the Federation, with many hundreds more or thousands of colonies spread over Federation space. I believe that's the implication they meant to give in the show, tho am happy to be wrong.
NecronLord wrote:
Also, shorten your signature a couple of lines please.
FaxModem1
Emperor's Hand

Post by FaxModem1 »

Berengaria VII is an example of what happens when a colony gets big enough. In Enterprise, it's a planet the Vulcans have scouted, in The Original Series, its a colony planet that is famed for having dragons on it(Spock waxes poetically about it), and by Deep Space Nine, Kai Winn considers it as important as Andoria or Vulcan to the Federation(she asks if the Federation would protect Bajor just as much as they would these major planets.) Its speculation on my part, but it seems that if a planet gets populous or developed enough, it becomes a member state. Though this could involve a rather long process, just like alien worlds that want to be admitted into the Federation.
Lord Revan
Emperor's Hand

Post by Lord Revan »

It's possible (as I stated before there's nothing specific about it in canon so this is just speculation) that member worlds have votes based (at least partly) on both their population and the population of dependent colonies and once a colony grows big enough it becomes a new member so that in theory no one member would too much votes in the Federation Council.