Star Trek: Beyond trailer

PST: discuss Star Trek without "versus" arguments.

Moderator: Vympel

Iroscato
Jedi Council Member

Star Trek: Beyond trailer

Post by Iroscato »

Yeah...I'm not really impressed by this to be honest. I've soured to the Abrams films in recent years, and this looks like more of the same, only with an added layer of trying to ape GOTG. Sigh... I really hope the new series gets back to what makes Trek Trek.

Yeah, I've always taken the subtext of the Birther movement to be, "The rules don't count here! This is different! HE'S BLACK! BLACK, I SAY! ARE YOU ALL BLIND!?

- Raw Shark

Destiny and fate are for those too weak to forge their own futures. Where we are 'supposed' to be is irrelevent.

- SirNitram (RIP)
Eternal_Freedom
Castellan

Re: Star Trek: Beyond trailer

Post by Eternal_Freedom »

My first thought on seeing the trailer was "oh look the Enterprise gets trashed again. Then I recalled that ships named Enterprise tend to get beaten up a whole lot in ST films.
Baltar: "I don't want to miss a moment of the last Battlestar's destruction!"
Centurion: "Sir, I really think you should look at the other Battlestar."
Baltar: "What are you babbling about other...it's impossible!"
Centurion: "No. It is a Battlestar."

Corrax Entry 7:17: So you walk eternally through the shadow realms, standing against evil where all others falter. May your thirst for retribution never quench, may the blood on your sword never dry, and may we never need you again.
FaxModem1
Emperor's Hand

Post by FaxModem1 »

Meh. That's my general reaction to it. I remember being excited back in 09 for Star Trek 11, disappointed with 12, but this just looks...Meh.
Iroscato
Jedi Council Member

Post by Iroscato »

Third film in the series as well, just like Search for Spock...

Sigh...it saddens me how aimless the franchise has become, really. I say 'become', it's been like that since the early 00's really :P
Yeah, I've always taken the subtext of the Birther movement to be, "The rules don't count here! This is different! HE'S BLACK! BLACK, I SAY! ARE YOU ALL BLIND!?

- Raw Shark

Destiny and fate are for those too weak to forge their own futures. Where we are 'supposed' to be is irrelevent.

- SirNitram (RIP)
Borgholio
Sith Acolyte

Post by Borgholio »

So a bunch of random flying things trash the ship and take them to a prison camp? A little context would have been nice...
You will be assimilated...bunghole!
Iroscato
Jedi Council Member

Post by Iroscato »

I suspect the future of the new series might depend on how well this does, though I'm led to believe the rights between TV and movies aren't mutually exclusive. As trailers go, it was a confusing mess, so that doesn't fill me with optimism regarding hype being built...

- Raw Shark

- SirNitram (RIP)
DaveJB
Jedi Council Member

Post by DaveJB »

One encouraging thing is they seem to have come up with an entirely new adversary rather than just rehashing the Klingons, Romulans or Khan. Otherwise, seems pretty similar to the last two movies despite the change of creative team. That said, the first couple of trailers for the 09 reboot also sucked from what I recall, so maybe they'll knock it out of the park with the final trailer again.

Supposedly, Roberto Orci's rejected script actually was much nearer classic Trek in tone, but in the Generations-type "incomprehensible to anyone who isn't a hardcore fan" sort of way.
Crazedwraith
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crazedwraith »

Not hyped. Though Karl Urban's Bones was good.

Who thought the director of Fast & Furious would have been a good fit for Star Trek?
Prometheus Unbound
Jedi Master

Post by Prometheus Unbound »

Not liking the music and motorbike.

Spock beaming away made me chuckle.

Overall: Probably wont watch, tbh.
NecronLord wrote:
Also, shorten your signature a couple of lines please.
Elheru Aran
Emperor's Hand

Post by Elheru Aran »

...yeah, this stinks of Guardians of the Galaxy wannabe-ishness. Feckless human Kirk? Check. Comic sidekick Scotty? Check. Alien warrior chick? Check. All they need is a Groot and a Drax, and that'll wrap it up in a lovely bow.
It's a strange world. Let's keep it that way.
Borgholio
Sith Acolyte

Post by Borgholio »

Elheru Aran wrote:...yeah, this stinks of Guardians of the Galaxy wannabe-ishness. Feckless human Kirk? Check. Comic sidekick Scotty? Check. Alien warrior chick? Check. All they need is a Groot and a Drax, and that'll wrap it up in a lovely bow.

You will be assimilated...bunghole!
Iroscato
Jedi Council Member

Post by Iroscato »

Borgholio wrote:
Elheru Aran wrote:...yeah, this stinks of Guardians of the Galaxy wannabe-ishness. Feckless human Kirk? Check. Comic sidekick Scotty? Check. Alien warrior chick? Check. All they need is a Groot and a Drax, and that'll wrap it up in a lovely bow.

A: What have you done...

B: Why do I have an erection from it...

- Raw Shark

- SirNitram (RIP)
SpottedKitty
Jedi Master

Post by SpottedKitty »

Did anyone else think they saw a flash clip of a Narn about half-way through? Just before the flash clip of Kirk (I think) sailing across the room and faceplanting halfway up a wall.

A not-so-bad action/SF movie, or at least it will be after they toss out the existing soundtrack. Not anything I might call Trek, though.
“Despite rumor, Death isn't cruel — merely terribly, terribly good at his job.”
Terry Pratchett, Sourcery
Gandalf
SD.net White Wizard

Post by Gandalf »

It looks like a fun space adventure. I'll definitely give it a watch.

Good to see that the Beastie Boys have survived the apocalypse. Does Intergalactic still reference Spock? What does Spock think about that?
To be fair, the first two of those were in the other two films.
"Oh no, oh yeah, tell me how can it be so fair
That we dying younger hiding from the police man over there
Just for breathing in the air they wanna leave me in the chair
Electric shocking body rocking beat streeting me to death"

- A.B. Original, Report to the Mist

"I think it’s the duty of the comedian to find out where the line is drawn and cross it deliberately."
- George Carlin
Korgeta
Padawan Learner

Post by Korgeta »

I'm very meh to this, star trek into darkness was pretty much fly, shoot and smash all way through but its first trailer had context, narration challenging the ideals of the protagonist and frankly much better edited clips.

Whilst watching 'beyond' I get more the impression this was one of the early youtube AMV clips where someone mash together some clips and play music over it whilst demanding everyone to like and subscribe to it. This trailer adds nothing to the material it is suppose to be promoting. Even as a throwback to kirk stealing a car it doesn't add anything. Also for a 1st trailer it doesn't add any continuity known (the build up of the Klingons and threat of war from the last film, khan's fate or legacy) and Carol isn't even in the film, this almost seems like a reboot of its own storyline series.

The scene between bones and spock was funny, but everything else is so meh, even the enterprise destroyed (again!) is tiring to look at, it needs a much better trailer then this mess.
Adam Reynolds
Jedi Council Member

Post by Adam Reynolds »

Into Darkness was fun for a grand total of one viewing until I started analyzing it. After that it lost whatever value it had. I'm not sure this film will even last that long. The often cool visuals were overshadowed by the stupid plot.

The problem with the remake films is that they lost what Trek was supposed to be. It was supposed to be an optimistic look at what the future could be, not an action series. You could argue that this had already been lost with DS9, but that at least felt like proper Star Trek enough that the good could overcome the bad. The fact that they brought in the director of the Fast and Furious movies in to this tells you something.

The line "This is where the frontier pushes back*" is in many ways a betrayal of the ideals of Star Trek. Though on the upside we actually get to see the idea of the Enterprise doing what it was supposed to. Something we haven't seen at all in the last two movies.

* As a side note, did anyone notice that line was spoken by Idris Elba. It is sad that such good actors get wasted in roles like this. Though he had already done that in Pacific Rim.
Nephtys
Sith Acolyte

Post by Nephtys »

At least in this new universe, Death is cured forever.

I for one, am happy we have new races or story elements. The obvious rebel alien fighter whatever who needs the Enterprise's help to defeat B5 Aliens surely will be a part of it. Though again, San Francisco is once more attacked from space for the third time...
trekky0623
Redshirt

Post by trekky0623 »

Keep in mind, this is what we're getting for the 50th anniversary. Happy early 50th, everyone.
Iroscato
Jedi Council Member

Post by Iroscato »

trekky0623 wrote:Keep in mind, this is what we're getting for the 50th anniversary. Happy early 50th, everyone.
Rub it in, why don't ya :P

- Raw Shark

- SirNitram (RIP)
Enigma
is a laughing fool.

Post by Enigma »

So, for the next installment after this movie we'll get a new Enterprise?
ASVS('97)/SDN('03)

"Whilst human alchemists refer to the combustion triangle, some of their orcish counterparts see it as more of a hexagon: heat, fuel, air, laughter, screaming, fun." Dawn of the Dragons

ASSCRAVATS!
DaveJB
Jedi Council Member

Post by DaveJB »

Enigma wrote:So, for the next installment after this movie we'll get a new Enterprise?
Possibly; from the trailer, I get the feeling we're going to see the Enterprise destroyed quite early on to establish the threat of these new bad guys, Kirk & Co. operating without a ship for most of the storyline, and then possibly getting an Enterprise-A at the end.
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

trailer sucked, but that is what I expected from the most overrated director/producer of all time.
Whoever says "education does not matter" can try ignorance
------------
A decision must be made in the life of every nation at the very moment when the grasp of the enemy is at its throat. Then, it seems that the only way to survive is to use the means of the enemy, to rest survival upon what is expedient, to look the other way. Well, the answer to that is 'survival as what'? A country isn't a rock. It's not an extension of one's self. It's what it stands for. It's what it stands for when standing for something is the most difficult! - Chief Judge Haywood
------------
My LPs
Channel72
Jedi Council Member

Post by Channel72 »

I can't really even remember the last time I was actually excited about a new Star Trek movie. I think it was probably way back when Star Trek : First Contact came out. I remember Generations being very hyped, obviously, but then it sort of pulled a scaled-down Phantom Menace. But I remember First Contact being something I actually cared about going to see. It turned out to be decent, but still not particularly great in any sense. The TNG movies were obviously the beginning of the end, but despite being very action oriented, they still mostly felt like Star Trek, most likely because there were at least clear themes which were explored, and the plots were still pretty dialogue driven, even though the overall quality was lacking compared to the Original Series movies.

Nowadays, these Star Trek movies just seem like an incoherent, useless mess. I think the next trailer is going to have a yellow Lamborghini flying through space and crashing into the Enterprise's deflector dish, while a katana-wielding space-Samurai alien shoots lasers at it, or something.

What really sucks is that in recent years, television productions have really taken off, producing lots of quality stuff on networks like HBO and elsewhere. The current environment is ideal for putting together the best Star Trek series ever, on television, where they can take the time to tell high-concept, quality sci-fi stories. Except instead, they went the big-screen route and decided to make it a mindless action franchise for some reason.
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Post by The Romulan Republic »

Crazedwraith wrote:Not hyped. Though Karl Urban's Bones was good.

Who thought the director of Fast & Furious would have been a good fit for Star Trek?
For Abrams' Trek?

Besides, why do you apparently assume that if a director is known for one film, that's the only kind of film they can direct? That's no more justified than type-casting a skilled actor based on one role.
Chimaera wrote:Yeah...I'm not really impressed by this to be honest. I've soured to the Abrams films in recent years, and this looks like more of the same, only with an added layer of trying to ape GOTG. Sigh... I really hope the new series gets back to what makes Trek Trek.

Forgive me, but this reminds me of the generic fan "Change is bad" whining I've been seeing since the first Abrams film. I don't see what about this trailer makes it any more valid.

While this trailer does show some of the flaws of Abrams Trek (dumb jokes and perhaps a bit too much focus on action), it also suggests an original enemy (as DaveJB pointed out) and a return to exploring the frontier as the focus. That's stuff I can get behind.

And the fact that Simon Pegg is one of the writers this time around also intrigues me.

Though I do dislike that bloody song.

Of course, its far too early to say how good the film will really be either way. You can't even really judge off the other Abrams' films, because while the trailer plays up the similarities, its got a different director and different group of writers.
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Post by The Romulan Republic »

I'll add that whatever problems the Abrams universe films have, I'll take them over the later years of Berman and Braga's run any day.

Basically, I'd say Star Trek now is better than its been at pretty much any time since DS9 ended.