Comparison of period and modern rapiers

HIST: Discussions about the last 4000 years of history, give or take a few days.

Moderator: K. A. Pital

LaCroix
Sith Acolyte

Comparison of period and modern rapiers

Post by LaCroix »

Some guys had the opportunity to get their hands on some period rapiers in the "Hofjagd- und Rüstkammer" in Vienna.
And wrote a paper comparing them to modern replicas used in historic fencing.
A Comparison of Late 16th to Early 17th Century Rapiers with Modern Reproductions
DI (FH) Florian Fortner, Julian Schrattenecker, BSc
Fechtschule Klingenspiel, Vienna
Abstract
This paper presents a comparison of original period rapiers from 1590-1620 with modern reproductions
for historical fencing use. After the definition of relevant parameters follows a description each weapon
with detailed measurements including blade cross section profiles for seven original period rapiers and
five modern rapiers. These measurements clearly show, that on average, historical originals are longer,
heavier and exhibit a stronger ricasso and forte which strongly influences handling and therefore the
possible style of fencing.
paper
A minute's thought suggests that the very idea of this is stupid. A more detailed examination raises the possibility that it might be an answer to the question "how could the Germans win the war after the US gets involved?" - Captain Seafort, in a thread proposing a 1942 'D-Day' in Quiberon Bay

I do archery skeet. With a Trebuchet.
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Re: Comparison of period and modern rapiers

Post by Thanas »

I am a bit disappointed that they did not chose some of the more faithful reproductions. I know Czervenka makes almost complete copies of originals and Del Tin has long and heavy rapiers as well.

Though I would suggest that they visit a specialized museum, like the Klingenmuseum.
Whoever says "education does not matter" can try ignorance
------------
A decision must be made in the life of every nation at the very moment when the grasp of the enemy is at its throat. Then, it seems that the only way to survive is to use the means of the enemy, to rest survival upon what is expedient, to look the other way. Well, the answer to that is 'survival as what'? A country isn't a rock. It's not an extension of one's self. It's what it stands for. It's what it stands for when standing for something is the most difficult! - Chief Judge Haywood
------------
My LPs
LaCroix
Sith Acolyte

Post by LaCroix »

Not quite sure, but I believe it was part of their intention to show that the more common available (average) weapons do have very little in common with originals.
A minute's thought suggests that the very idea of this is stupid. A more detailed examination raises the possibility that it might be an answer to the question "how could the Germans win the war after the US gets involved?" - Captain Seafort, in a thread proposing a 1942 'D-Day' in Quiberon Bay

Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

But their selections are hardly representative. They'd have to cast a much wider net.
Whoever says "education does not matter" can try ignorance
------------
A decision must be made in the life of every nation at the very moment when the grasp of the enemy is at its throat. Then, it seems that the only way to survive is to use the means of the enemy, to rest survival upon what is expedient, to look the other way. Well, the answer to that is 'survival as what'? A country isn't a rock. It's not an extension of one's self. It's what it stands for. It's what it stands for when standing for something is the most difficult! - Chief Judge Haywood
------------
My LPs
LaCroix
Sith Acolyte

Post by LaCroix »

Thanas wrote:But their selections are hardly representative. They'd have to cast a much wider net.
It wasn't quite a planned thing, I heard. They were at the museum, discussing the exponates amongst each other, met a guy from the museum who overheard them, talked to him, got invited to look at them properly, took measurements, etc. Going home, they got the idea to complare them to the replicas they could get their hands on in the club and then they went and wrote a short paper on it to share their findings.

Their usual field of research are old and obscure fencing manuscripts and their transation.