Conversations From the Professional Front Lines

OT: anything goes!

Moderator: Edi

Borgholio
Sith Acolyte

Re: Conversations From the Professional Front Lines

Post by Borgholio »

People pick up hookers in the back of your cab? Do you demand a cut of the profit? :)
You will be assimilated...bunghole!
White Haven
Sith Acolyte

Post by White Haven »

Background: A customer tried to upgrade to Windows 10 on her own, it didn't work, rolled back, now her email client doesn't work.

Me: Now if I could just get you to put down your email address and password so I can set things up for you...

Clueless: I don't have a password.

Me: I assure you that you do. Whether you know it or not is another question.
Chronological Incontinence: Time warps around the poster. The thread topic winks out of existence and reappears in 1d10 posts.

Out of Context Theatre, this week starring Darth Nostril.
-'If you really want to fuck with these idiots tell them that there is a vaccine for chemtrails.'

Fiction!: The Final War (Bolo/Lovecraft) (Ch 7 9/15/11), Living (D&D, Complete)Image
Raw Shark
Stunt Driver / Babysitter

Post by Raw Shark »

Borgholio wrote:People pick up hookers in the back of your cab? Do you demand a cut of the profit? :)
A) Of course! Picking up hookers is probably the #3 specialty service that I provide, after finding a specific hotel or gay bathhouse, when I'm dealing with a married guy on a business trip.

B) Not as such, beyond what I get for the time and distance involved, but if they make a mess in the back seat or make things awkward enough for me the ride starts to get expensive. If I just go a couple miles out of the way to a sketchy neighborhood, grab some whore, and bring them back to his hotel it's a win-win for everybody.

"Do I really look like a guy with a plan? Y'know what I am? I'm a dog chasing cars. I wouldn't know what to do with one if I caught it! Y'know, I just do things..." --The Joker
Napoleon the Clown
Jedi Council Member

Post by Napoleon the Clown »

When you write your book, there needs to be a prostitution pun in the title.
Sig images are for people who aren't fucking lazy.
Borgholio
Sith Acolyte

Post by Borgholio »

Napoleon the Clown wrote:When you write your book, there needs to be a prostitution pun in the title.
"Stick it in my slot" : The confessions of a man for hire.
InsaneTD
Jedi Knight

Post by InsaneTD »

Or the chapter containing prostitute stories needs to have the pun at least.
Raw Shark

Post by Raw Shark »

Yeah, I'd entertain the hooker thing as a chapter title (Hookers!), but I'm thinking about, "I drove a taxi for X fucking years!" as the overall title for the piece.

"Do I really look like a guy with a plan? Y'know what I am? I'm a dog chasing cars. I wouldn't know what to do with one if I caught it! Y'know, I just do things..." --The Joker
Borgholio
Sith Acolyte

Post by Borgholio »

Nah, too bland. How about...

"Road Warrior - The True Story of an American Taxi-man"
Arthur_Tuxedo
Sith Acolyte

Post by Arthur_Tuxedo »

How about "Mile High Taxi-man"?
"I'm so fast that last night I turned off the light switch in my hotel room and was in bed before the room was dark." - Muhammad Ali

"Dating is not supposed to be easy. It's supposed to be a heart-pounding, stomach-wrenching, gut-churning exercise in pitting your fear of rejection and public humiliation against your desire to find a mate. Enjoy." - Darth Wong
Lagmonster
Master Control Program
Master Control Program

Post by Lagmonster »

Just call it "Back Seat Stories". Short, punchy, to the point.
Raw Shark

Post by Raw Shark »

Thanks for the ideas, guys. Mile High Taxi is unfortunately off the table because it's the name of one of the legit cab companies here, sorry Arthur_Tuxedo. I wonder if I could get away with using that one line from the job interview scene in Taxi Driver if I change the name to mine...

"Whattaya wanna hack for, [last name]..? You seem like you're on the ball..."

Or maybe Bickle's response to that line:

"Can't sleep. Gotta stay busy."

Venator
Jedi Knight

Post by Venator »

Got pulled into an emergency meeting with our project manager (a pretty good shoot-the-shit buddy), our operations lead and one of our board. After a bad night and worse morning, as will immediately become relevant...

OPS LEAD: "We need you to go over to [SITE] and confirm the installation so we can invoice and get paid. How soon can you do it.

ME: *checks phone* "I just had a cancel on Wednesday, I can get there after lunch."

DIRECTOR: "Okay, not bad. Is there any reason you couldn't go over there today?"

ME: "Well, frankly, I'm about to make my third trip to the restroom and don't trust myself to do a good job." *deadpan*

OPS LEAD: *raises eyebrows, nods*

DIRECTOR: *stoic refusal to react*

PROJECT MANAGER: *killing himself with silent laughter*
Borgholio
Sith Acolyte

Post by Borgholio »

Customer : "I'm trying to open your program and nothing is happening."

Me: "Are you getting any error messages?"

Customer : "No."

Me: "Have you tried rebooting the machine?"

Customer : "Yes."

Me : *remote desktop into customer's computer*

Me : "Loads up fine for me, I can see it right here."

Customer : "I can't see anything."

Me : "It's on your second monitor. *pause* Is your second monitor turned on?"

Customer : "No."

Broomstick
Emperor's Hand

Post by Broomstick »

We have a number of busy body customers. One of them is an old lady.

1) She is outraged - OUTRAGED! - that the women staff are wearing MEN'S SHIRTS! Seriously. Store uniform is a red polo shirt. Apparently the buttons are on the wrong side for women. She demands to speak to a manager about this, or the store director. How dare the company make women wear inappropriate clothes.

2) Her other constant complaint is that we women are required to lift boxes of stock when re-stocking the shelves. It's going to hurt us! It will damage your woman parts, girl! Again, she goes to management and the store director to complain about making the women in the store do physical work. We should be cashiers and let the men do the lifting.

Lady, will you shut the fuck up already? Cashiering is much harder on the feet and lower back than what I do. And no, lifting the boxes will not harm my "woman parts", seriously, does she think I'm attempting to lift with my fallopian tubes or something? I'm transporting shampoo or soap or hair brushes or aspirin in my vagina? Now, back injuries might occur, but those can happen to either gender. Who the fuck cares about which side a shirt buttons on? Do you really examine the shirt of everyone you encounter for proper buttoning? Will you get a fucking life already?

Stop telling my store director I shouldn't have the job I have unless you intend to take over my bills for me. I need my job. Also, the store director - who can and has slung boxes with the rest of us when necessary - thinks you're a loon but is much too polite to tell you that to your face.
A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. Leonard Nimoy.

Now I did a job. I got nothing but trouble since I did it, not to mention more than a few unkind words as regard to my character so let me make this abundantly clear. I do the job. And then I get paid.- Malcolm Reynolds, Captain of Serenity, which sums up my feelings regarding the lawsuit discussed here.

If a free society cannot help the many who are poor, it cannot save the few who are rich. - John F. Kennedy

Sam Vimes Theory of Economic Injustice
Kanastrous
Sith Acolyte

Post by Kanastrous »

"Our female employees are encouraged to secure their woman parts in their employee locker at the start of each shift prior to beginning their tasks, in the interest of workplace safety."
I find myself endlessly fascinated by your career - Stark, in a fit of Nerd-Validation, November 3, 2011
Zaune
Emperor's Hand

Post by Zaune »

Kanastrous wrote:"Our female employees are encouraged to secure their woman parts in their employee locker at the start of each shift prior to beginning their tasks, in the interest of workplace safety."
Would knowing the context make this less disturbing?
There are hardly any excesses of the most crazed psychopath that cannot easily be duplicated by a normal kindly family man who just comes in to work every day and has a job to do.
-- (Terry Pratchett, Small Gods)

Replace "ginger" with "n*gger," and suddenly it become a lot less funny, doesn't it?
-- fgalkin

Like my writing? Tip me on Patreon

I Have A Blog
Kanastrous
Sith Acolyte

Post by Kanastrous »

Almost certainly not.
I find myself endlessly fascinated by your career - Stark, in a fit of Nerd-Validation, November 3, 2011
Raw Shark

Post by Raw Shark »

CRAZY, COKED-UP SLUT: You're too cute to be a cab driver! Why are you driving people around instead of driving women crazy!?

YOUR DRIVER: Because I have to pay rent? That'll be seven dollars...

Alyrium Denryle
Minister of Sin

Post by Alyrium Denryle »

Raw Shark wrote:CRAZY, COKED-UP SLUT: You're too cute to be a cab driver! Why are you driving people around instead of driving women crazy!?

YOUR DRIVER: Because I have to pay rent? That'll be seven dollars...

You cant do both? Because from what I have read in here those two things are not mutually exclusive.

Hell, you drive men and hedonic androids crazy...
GALE Force Biological Agent/
BOTM/Great Dolphin Conspiracy/
Entomology and Evolutionary Biology Subdirector:SD.net Dept. of Biological Sciences

There is Grandeur in the View of Life; it fills me with a Deep Wonder, and Intense Cynicism.

Factio republicanum delenda est
Raw Shark

Post by Raw Shark »

She was trying to get me to knock off work early and go to a strip club with her and her friends on a day when I really couldn't afford to. Also, kind of a lousy tipper.

Zaune
Emperor's Hand

Post by Zaune »

Raw Shark wrote:She was trying to get me to knock off work early and go to a strip club with her and her friends on a day when I really couldn't afford to. Also, kind of a lousy tipper.
Sounds like she was offering to tip you with sex, which is not my definition of a bad tip unless there was a non-negligible risk of coming away with the clap.
There are hardly any excesses of the most crazed psychopath that cannot easily be duplicated by a normal kindly family man who just comes in to work every day and has a job to do.
-- (Terry Pratchett, Small Gods)

Replace "ginger" with "n*gger," and suddenly it become a lot less funny, doesn't it?
-- fgalkin

Like my writing? Tip me on Patreon

I Have A Blog
Raw Shark

Post by Raw Shark »

Still had to work, and I would not call that risk negligible at all based on the five minutes I knew her. :lol:

Napoleon the Clown
Jedi Council Member

Post by Napoleon the Clown »

I somehow doubt Shark's landlord would consider "Dude, I nailed a coked-up slut!" to be payment for rent.

Sure, it would be awesome if telling one's landlord would knock money off the rent for that month. But I just can't see it happening.
Sig images are for people who aren't fucking lazy.
Raw Shark

Post by Raw Shark »

Alyrium Denryle wrote:Hell, you drive men and hedonic androids crazy...
Speaking of, here's one from last week's notes...

HEDONISM BOT: [texting] Hey, do you want to come over and do some coke?

YOUR DRIVER: No, thanks.

HEDONISM BOT: Do you want to fuck me in the throat?

YOUR DRIVER: No, [Hedonism Bot].

HEDONISM BOT: Why not? I swear my throat feels better than any pussy.

YOUR DRIVER: It's a matter of my taste, not your capabilities.

HEDONISM BOT: Your taste is exactly what I'm interested in!

YOUR DRIVER: I'm shutting off my phone now.

Raw Shark

Post by Raw Shark »

Napoleon the Clown wrote:I somehow doubt Shark's landlord would consider "Dude, I nailed a coked-up slut!" to be payment for rent.

Sure, it would be awesome if telling one's landlord would knock money off the rent for that month. But I just can't see it happening.
You have just reshaped my vision of a perfect world. Thank you, Sir.