Roma Universalis [EU IV LP] [No 56k]

GEC: Discuss gaming, computers and electronics and venture into the bizarre world of STGODs.

Moderator: Thanas

Thanas
Magister
Magister

Roma Universalis [EU IV LP] [No 56k]

Post by Thanas »

Whoever says "education does not matter" can try ignorance
------------
A decision must be made in the life of every nation at the very moment when the grasp of the enemy is at its throat. Then, it seems that the only way to survive is to use the means of the enemy, to rest survival upon what is expedient, to look the other way. Well, the answer to that is 'survival as what'? A country isn't a rock. It's not an extension of one's self. It's what it stands for. It's what it stands for when standing for something is the most difficult! - Chief Judge Haywood
------------
My LPs
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Re: Roma Universalis [EU IV LP]

Post by Thanas »

Chapter I: Introduction

"I speak Greek to God, Latin to the state, French to the women, German to the merchants, Spanish to the legions and Arabic to my horse." - Julius IV Thanas, Augustus.
(with apologies to Karl V.

In the year 1444, the great Roman reforms were finally complete. The state had been utterly transformed and carried into the coming age of the renaissance. Rome was once again the leader of Europe. The heaviest changes had been made to the province administration - they were now once again administered by a state bureaucracy, with local nobles having most of their powers stripped from them.

The Roman legions had been reformed as well - with the armies of the nobles being standardized and taken over by the state. The basic unit was now the 1000-men strong cohort milliaria again. The highest point had been the handing out of the eagles. A full legion now had 8000 infantry and 4000 cavalry in 12 units, a half legion - employed in areas where a full legion could not be supplied over the winter or the summer - was 6000 (4k infantry, 2k cavalry).

Not all regions of the realm had taken to this change. Some, especially in Sweden, North Africa and France, had rebelled. (That is my explanation for the errors the converter has produced and I am sticking by it).

Reconquest of these areas was of the highest priority. Already spies were working hard to undermine those traitors.

At the same time, those nations that had not managed to centralize were still stuck in the medieval model, namely of one overlord nation controlling multiple vassals. Thus, the nation of Saxony was now this:
lording over dozens of vassal nations like:

The same was the case in England:
whose Queen had converted to Judaism (and would therefore most likely be deposed quite quickly)

Orthodoxy however reigned supreme:

Let us look at the Roman Empire in more detail:
As shown by our name, we are an Empire. This is by far the best government form for most of the Game, for we reduce local autonomy at a steady pace for no cost.
Our cultures are Greek (Hellenic, really - actually it should better be Latin but the game does not recognize it) and German as the accepted secondary culture (of course). Our advisors come from Italy (administrative advisor), Germany (diplomatic advisor) and the romanized part of Persia (military advisor).

Diplomacy. Better known as "they hate us cause they ain't us".

Our economy is going strong. So strong that our surplus is enough to build a new building every month or so.

Trade. A large part of the game is centred around trade. One needs to control trade to have a truly global empire. Luckily, we do so.

Technology. Typical Western culture.

Ideas. The fun part of the game. Let us check our national ideas:
The pax romana is nice, I guess.
HOLY SHIT. This is a massive bonus and should essentially allow us to diploannex any nation we want.
....I get the slight feeling that the Roman ideas are a bit overpowered. I mean, typical nations have such a massive bonus in the last tier and we got it as the third one.
...Yep...
OVERPOWERED.
Wait, stability bonus of 20%, production bonus of 20% and tax bonus of 10%? Is this empire run on steroids?
MASSIVE ROIDING CONFIRMED.

Our missions and decisions:
Why would we ever want to restore the Byzantine Empire and Greece? Hello. We are an expanding nation, not contracting. The less said about those two sad remnants of our history the better.

Religion. One territory in africa still believes in its myths. They will be converted.

Our military. Dominated by the Spanish traditions of light horse and pike/halberd infantry so far.

We don't have any subjects.

But we have a giant Navy:
"English Navy you say? More like English cutter service, am I right?"

Some recently conquered territories in Africa and Russia discovered new goods:
conforming to the African stereotype I see.
conforming to the Russian stereotype I see.

Indian cotton is threatening our wool industry:
But we decided to do nothing for now and not restrict free trade.

Speaking of trade, let's check how we are doing so far:
DOING JUST FINE.

In Persia, a new Islamic sect broke out:
I thought we had crushed them all. We need to redouble our efforts there.

Meanwhile, France was just loyal:
We need more administrators. Culture can wait.

Due to our advisors and starting tech we reached the next level in just a few years (the wait time was needed because I needed to redistribute the giant army on the frontier):

Let's take a look at the frontiers of the Empire:

Rhine/Danube/limes (ignore french traitors)
The Northwestern frontier
The east - note the eternal Mongol enemies at our border. RAR. ROME SMASH.
The beautiful Egyptian border.
The less beautiful North African border which will need cleanup - and we need to pacify the desert tribes there.
Africa is a mess. We lost all coastal provinces there.
And in the north, swedish and Bjarmian traitors had broken free.

But first, we have to pick an idea:

TL, DR: Here we go. Let's discuss general playstyle etc. below.

So, here is how I would like to play at first:

- Pick the religious idea first, because exploration will need a few more decades by which time we'll have the second idea group already opened up.
- Crush the Mongols.
- Crush the traitors
- Leave the rest of Europe alone (except for diploannexing if possible).
- Focus on high stability.

And with regards to the new world, I would suggest the following:
Become a gentle overlord and partner. I mean, the Aztecs have to go (because human sacrifice and all that) but with regards to the other tribes, if possible, I would actually like to honour their territories and help them with technological advances. My goal would be indigenous allies, who are not genocided but uplifted to the Roman level of tech.

(If you want another way I would be comfortable with genociding them but I kinda want to try this out first. Especially because there would be no ingame need for land because any settler could already settle in the whole of the Empire.)

I kinda want to find out if such a playstyle is possible. IMO it would be more interesting than the old Europe conquers the world scenario (it would probably drag us into lots of wars to defend the native territory but hey, for what do we have the legions if not to use them).

Unsure of what to do with India. I might leave them alone entirely. We don't need the money after all. I'd rather focus on the Mongols and china.

Please comment on that below.
------------
A decision must be made in the life of every nation at the very moment when the grasp of the enemy is at its throat. Then, it seems that the only way to survive is to use the means of the enemy, to rest survival upon what is expedient, to look the other way. Well, the answer to that is 'survival as what'? A country isn't a rock. It's not an extension of one's self. It's what it stands for. It's what it stands for when standing for something is the most difficult! - Chief Judge Haywood
------------
My LPs
Skywalker_T-65
Jedi Council Member

Post by Skywalker_T-65 »

Personally, I like the 'help the natives' idea. Did the same thing once back in EU3...it was actually quite fun.
SDNW5: Republic of Arcadia...Sweden in SPAAACE
Purple
Sith Acolyte
Location: In a purple cube orbiting this planet. Hijacking satellites for an internet connection.

Post by Purple »

You should definitively try and get a stable land route to China for the silk road. Possibly just plow a corridor of vassals and client kingdoms through India. And than leave the rest alone. Basically the same thing you intend to do in South America. Just on a far more limited scale. Also, leave the north alone. Let's see who settles if if you don't.
It has become clear to me in the previous days that any attempts at reconciliation and explanation with the community here has failed. I have tried my best. I really have. I pored my heart out trying. But it was all for nothing.

You win. There, I have said it.

Now there is only one thing left to do. Let us see if I can sum up the strength needed to end things once and for all.
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

Purple wrote:Also, leave the north alone. Let's see who settles if if you don't.
That doesn't make much sense because the Mongols are in the north.
------------
------------
My LPs
Borgholio
Sith Acolyte

Post by Borgholio »

I'd agree you should go for stability. Nothing wrong with slowly expanding, but over-extending should be avoided at all cost. As far as the New World, it would probably benefit to have some colonies on the East Coast just to maintain a presence, but nothing here in California except for dust and gold.
You will be assimilated...bunghole!
The Vortex Empire
Jedi Council Member

Post by The Vortex Empire »

I definitely like the uplift the Americans idea. In addition, once our borders are cleaned up I'd like to see us plow through the Timurids and conquer India. We'll have done what Alexander couldn't.
Iroscato
Jedi Council Member

Post by Iroscato »

The Vortex Empire wrote:I definitely like the uplift the Americans idea. In addition, once our borders are cleaned up I'd like to see us plow through the Timurids and conquer India. We'll have done what Alexander couldn't.
Seconded. Break new ground, break the Horde once and for all and break into a whole new landmass :P
Yeah, I've always taken the subtext of the Birther movement to be, "The rules don't count here! This is different! HE'S BLACK! BLACK, I SAY! ARE YOU ALL BLIND!?

- Raw Shark

Destiny and fate are for those too weak to forge their own futures. Where we are 'supposed' to be is irrelevent.

- SirNitram (RIP)
Esquire
Jedi Council Member

Post by Esquire »

Plus, Ming is the only thing in the world that could even possibly provide a military challenge - but we have to get there to fight them.
“Heroes are heroes because they are heroic in behavior, not because they won or lost.” Nassim Nicholas Taleb
phred
Jedi Knight

Post by phred »

I'm inclined to say innovation and maritime first, but what do I know? I also like the uplift the Americas idea.

Do we 'know' about America yet? Or does that Chris guy have to 'discover' them first?

Is Religion the way to stability? I'm always inclined to sort of ignore religion in empire building games. Plus I don't know what bonuses it gives us here, having never played this
"Siege warfare, French for spawn camp" WTYP podcast

It's so bad it wraps back around to awesome then back to bad again, then back to halfway between awesome and bad. Like if ed wood directed a godzilla movie - Duckie
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

phred wrote:I'm inclined to say innovation and maritime first, but what do I know? I also like the uplift the Americas idea.

Do we 'know' about America yet? Or does that Chris guy have to 'discover' them first?
No, we don't know about them.
Is Religion the way to stability? I'm always inclined to sort of ignore religion in empire building games. Plus I don't know what bonuses it gives us here, having never played this
The main benefit for religion is a faster way to convert people (good for sprawling empires), a bit more stability and the Holy war CB to declare war on infidels (good for crushing Mongols.)
------------
------------
My LPs
Captain Seafort
Jedi Council Member

Post by Captain Seafort »

Thanas wrote:No, we don't know about them.
What about the Vikings? Were they too busy trying to hold off your Empire knocking at the door or are they just being tight-lipped?
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

Captain Seafort wrote:
Thanas wrote:No, we don't know about them.
What about the Vikings? Were they too busy trying to hold off your Empire knocking at the door or are they just being tight-lipped?
I would guess the ones who know about it are either freezing in Island (not part of the Empire), died in the battles against our Varangian Guard when said force took over, or died when the Greenland colony collapsed. As it stands, nobody knows about the Americas in Europe.
------------
------------
My LPs
FaxModem1
Emperor's Hand

Post by FaxModem1 »

I say first priority is consolidation, and taking back all those rebels who went against us. We need to expand and all that. Then we should focus on keeping the faith, and taking the rest of Europe, whether through diplomacy or through conquest.

After that, let's see if we can focus on Africa, that way, India and China can build up as enemies to fight later.

And of course, wipe out the Mongols and move into Russia, making a Eurasian Roman Empire.
Purple
Sith Acolyte
Location: In a purple cube orbiting this planet. Hijacking satellites for an internet connection.

Post by Purple »

Thanas wrote:
Purple wrote:Also, leave the north alone. Let's see who settles if if you don't.
That doesn't make much sense because the Mongols are in the north.
North America.
It has become clear to me in the previous days that any attempts at reconciliation and explanation with the community here has failed. I have tried my best. I really have. I pored my heart out trying. But it was all for nothing.

You win. There, I have said it.

Now there is only one thing left to do. Let us see if I can sum up the strength needed to end things once and for all.
TheHammer
Jedi Master

Post by TheHammer »

I expect this game to be an epic curb stomp. The only question will be whether Rome conquers the entire world or not.
Bedlam
Jedi Master

Post by Bedlam »

Certainly seems a good idea to me to reintegrate the various small rebel groups within the empire, they may not seem like much but they draw forces away that you could otherwise be using to secure your borders or even expand them.
Alferd Packer
Sith Marauder

Post by Alferd Packer »

Since this is a CK2 converted game, do the Aztecs and other Mesoamerican groups get their technology penalty removed?
"There is a principle which is a bar against all information, which is proof against all arguments and which cannot fail to keep a man in everlasting ignorance--that principle is contempt prior to investigation." -Herbert Spencer

"Against stupidity the gods themselves contend in vain." - Schiller, Die Jungfrau von Orleans, III vi.
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

I don't know, guess we'll find out. Though this might only apply with sunset invasion active and I did not have that.
------------
------------
My LPs
Steve
Emperor's Hand

Post by Steve »

Yeah, you need to have Sunset Invasion turned on for the converter to create the alternate America.
”A Radical is a man with both feet planted firmly in the air.” – Franklin Delano Roosevelt

"No folly is more costly than the folly of intolerant idealism." - Sir Winston L. S. Churchill, Princips Britannia

American Conservatism is about the exercise of personal responsibility without state interference in the lives of the citizenry..... unless, of course, it involves using the bludgeon of state power to suppress things Conservatives do not like.

DONALD J. TRUMP IS A SEDITIOUS TRAITOR AND MUST BE IMPEACHED
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Post by The Romulan Republic »

Followed this for a while but I haven't offered any suggestions yet.

Anyway, regarding the question of what to do with the New World, I'd go with befriending the Native Americans. I just like playing a benevolent ruler. Though if you can acquire their loyalty though peaceful means you might as well. I suppose their's a certain appeal to having your flag fly over a united world.
Alferd Packer
Sith Marauder

Post by Alferd Packer »

The problem with being friendly with the natives is that your colonial nations are going to go to war with them; and then what do you do? I guess you could enforce peace for a while, but eventually you're going to be either distracted or whatever and all of sudden your CN's are blobbing up all the natives.

And FWIW, if any EUIV game was begging for a WC run, I'd think this would be it. I'd love to see the Roman Empire span Eurasia and Africa, at least.
"There is a principle which is a bar against all information, which is proof against all arguments and which cannot fail to keep a man in everlasting ignorance--that principle is contempt prior to investigation." -Herbert Spencer

"Against stupidity the gods themselves contend in vain." - Schiller, Die Jungfrau von Orleans, III vi.
LaCroix
Sith Acolyte

Post by LaCroix »

I think this could become might interesting if you took an active approach of preventing anybody settling in the new world - if they do, you instantly go to war (always, no matter what situation you may be in, currently) and take their colony. Then you could either abandon it right after takeover, or create a protective corridor around the native lands, barring entry to all other states and let them sort it out for themselves, while you concentrate on expaining into Asia.

Basically, ignoring the BadBoy status in order to bully others into not colonizing the Americas.
A minute's thought suggests that the very idea of this is stupid. A more detailed examination raises the possibility that it might be an answer to the question "how could the Germans win the war after the US gets involved?" - Captain Seafort, in a thread proposing a 1942 'D-Day' in Quiberon Bay

I do archery skeet. With a Trebuchet.
Flagg
CUNTS FOR EYES!
Location: Hell. In The Room Right Next to Reagan. He's Fucking Bonzo. No, wait... Bonzo's fucking HIM.

Post by Flagg »

I say first and foremost, before all of this India, China, Africa expansion shit, you need to restore the old borders of the empire. Meaning England and Wales. Personally, I'd go for the whole shebang and take the entire British Isles, but at least England and Wales.
We pissing our pants yet?
-Negan

You got your shittin' pants on? Because you’re about to
Shit. Your. Pants!
-Negan

He who can,
does; he who cannot, teaches.
-George Bernard Shaw
GuppyShark
Sith Devotee

Re: Roma Universalis [EU IV LP] [No 56k]

Post by GuppyShark »

(No idea on how EV works)

One trading port established in each new continent, befriend the natives, accept them as imperial territories if they approach you and request to join Rome.