Housebuilding in Finland

AMP: sci-fi art, regular art, pictures, photos, comics, music, etc.

Moderator: Beowulf

Lord Revan
Emperor's Hand

Re: Housebuilding in Finland

Post by Lord Revan »

looks quite alot like my brother's house expect his has 2 floors and it's what we call "rivitalo" I can't remember the english term for those atm.
I may be an idiot, but I'm a tolerated idiot
"I think you completely missed the point of sigs. They're supposed to be completely homegrown in the fertile hydroponics lab of your mind, dried in your closet, rolled, and smoked...
Oh wait, that's marijuana..."Einhander Sn0m4n
His Divine Shadow
Commence Primary Ignition

Post by His Divine Shadow »

That would be a rowhouse or radhus in swe.
Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who did not.
LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

I see the boys are enjoying the hardwood floor. Have they discovered how easy it is to slide on it yet?
Nitram, slightly high on cough syrup: Do you know you're beautiful?
Me: Nope, that's why I have you around to tell me.
Nitram: You -are- beautiful. Anyone tries to tell you otherwise kill them.

"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP" -- Leonard Nimoy, last Tweet
Borgholio
Sith Acolyte

Post by Borgholio »

LadyTevar wrote:I see the boys are enjoying the hardwood floor. Have they discovered how easy it is to slide on it yet?
Or roll a handful of marbles in front of where Daddy is walking in his bare feet...
You will be assimilated...bunghole!
His Divine Shadow

Laminate floor actually, but they aren't sliding yet, not even walking. Daniel is getting up on all fours now and then and almost walking on all fours but not quite. David is still behind Daniel too.

Their birthday is this saturday so while they're 12 months then, developmentally they'll be 9.5 months.

They like the harness, my mom said she's bought one for them that's like a chair on wheels so they can use it to walk around and train to walk.
His Divine Shadow

Twins had their 1st birthday party this weekend. My fiance made a classic cream cake with peaches ontop and raspberries and nutella and some other stuff in the middle. Also bilberry pie with whipped vanilla cream, chocolate chip muffins and some homemade cookies (and some storebought):

(My mom knitted the cap)

Got my jointer/planer (planer/thicknesser in brit english) last night, sadly the motor trips the fuse everytime I try to use it.
Elheru Aran
Emperor's Hand

Post by Elheru Aran »

I'm not an electrical expert but I think that means you need to set up a higher amp connection since obviously it pulls too much power for the current fuse setup.

Also, what are you doing for dust collection on that? Or are you going to lug it outside every time you use it?

Thirdly: What's that articulated arm on the side there?

Lastly: Your boys are cute :) I've got a 19-month daughter...
It's a strange world. Let's keep it that way.
Borgholio
Sith Acolyte

Post by Borgholio »

Food looks good, house looks great, wife is lovely, kids are adorable...damn...everything looks good for you right now. :) Congrats!
You will be assimilated...bunghole!
His Divine Shadow

Thanks, yeah everything feels like it's come together pretty well right now, lets hope it keeps up.

Elheru, well it's only a 2.something kw 3-phase motor, I am already running a 2.5kw motor for my table saw on the same circuit without problems, you should technically be able to run up to 7kw motors if they have a soft start circuit, if not the limit is around 4kw for the 16amp circuit that I got, I've asked around and I am gonna look and see if there's some bad wiring in the control box, might also be the cable itself. And someone said these old motors don't play well with modern electrical systems with their automatic breakers and GCFIs.

At the moment I have no dust collection equipment, I just got a cyclone separator so I am gonna try and build a shop-vac from a surplus vacuum cleaner. Long term plan is a dust collector with cyclone separator that vents outside.

Oh and the articulated arm is part of the blade guard, the actual part that goes over the blades is missing though, I will have to make a new one from wood. If you google jointer and euro style blade guard you will see many examples of this type of blade guard, american guards tend be of the "pork chop" style.
fordlltwm
Padawan Learner

Post by fordlltwm »

It could be a dud start capacitor. That would throw the start up load up a lot and also depending on it's fail state if could be a dead short. Also the breaker rating could do with being a C curve rather than B curve for motor loads.
His Divine Shadow

I took it apart and showed it on some local electronics forums last night and the consensus, after I mentioned the burnt plastic smell in the control box housing, seems to be insulation failure, usually means the motor is worthless since the fix is rewinding and that would cost more than a new motor.
His Divine Shadow

Got my shed more or less done, the most important bit was the roof, then put in shelving and stiffened up the frame and such, then I filled it with firewood and other leftover stuff that'lll burn. It's a pretty shitty shed as things goes I guess and the ground settled more after I put it there so nothing on it is quite square anymore. But I was able to build it for free using 100% leftovers from the house building and it does the job.

Still need some doors.

I have started on my DIY shop vac today, here are the main components, old vacuum, a rolling base, bucket and cyclone.

I put the cyclone itself in this support frame to make it easier to switch it between containers incase this bucket don't work out. Usually you'd just make a hole in the lid and screw it into that. I got a plywood circle that will put on the inside of the lid, then bolts will go through that, the l id and the bottom of the support and force it all together. I might need a gasket, though someone else using this solution claims it seals up real well as is.

Recessed the screws underneath so it won't dig into the lid, will probably put silicone here to make a better seal.

I bought the cyclone itself from aliexpress for 18 dollars + shipping, I figured it wouldn't be much cheaper to try and make my own, if I make my own it'll be for a future dust collector build and it'll be much larger and stationary, integrated into the garage itself.
fnord
Jedi Knight

Post by fnord »

Gotta echo everyone else - you lucky sod.

As for dust collection, possibly a bit late now for you, but I tripped over http://www.billpentz.com a little while ago - you might find something handy there if you don't know about it already.

The boys - they may look like little angels at the moment, but how long until they get into mischief?
A mad person thinks there's a gateway to hell in his basement. A mad genius builds one and turns it on. - CaptainChewbacca
His Divine Shadow

Finished the shop vac tonight, well made it functional anyway:

Wire retracts when you push the switch to it's left. The switch on top is the power switch. The motor speed adjustment is on the front of the box, you can see it in other pictures a bit.

The filter housing, I use a kärcher wet & dry shop vac filter, but I can put basically anything there as long as it's short enough.

The lid flops open, the grey stuff is some silicone I smeared out to act as a gasket, when the motor runs it sucks the lid shut whenit starts and I need both arms to get it open, it's surprisingly airtight.

Next is to sand it and get rid of the rough edges, then paint it some suitable color, I always liked the green color the guy on woodgears.ca put on his machines. Under the motor and filter box there's room to put... something, I dunno what yet.
His Divine Shadow

Been chopping some wood

Tiled the sauna and put in the stove today, still need to get some stones to fill it with.
Mr Bean
Lord of Irony

Post by Mr Bean »

Does the stove come with the smiley face or did you add that?

"A cult is a religion with no political power." -Tom Wolfe
Pardon me for sounding like a dick, but I'm playing the tiniest violin in the world right now-Dalton
His Divine Shadow

Nope that's by design, here's an image from the manufacturers website:
His Divine Shadow

Also smoking some chuck and brisket on the smoker today:
LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

Damn, I don't check this thread for a while, and I miss cute baby photos. :(

Congrats on the babies birthday, I know you and your wife were scared they'd not make it when they were first born. I'm sure they'll catch up quickly.

Nice little woodshed, and I love the sauna. What kind of rock is used, I know there's the chance heated rocks can split or explode, so is there a type recommended?
Nitram, slightly high on cough syrup: Do you know you're beautiful?
Me: Nope, that's why I have you around to tell me.
Nitram: You -are- beautiful. Anyone tries to tell you otherwise kill them.

"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP" -- Leonard Nimoy, last Tweet
Lord Revan
Emperor's Hand

Post by Lord Revan »

I dunno what he'll have but mine look like regular grey granite to me (and also look like the stones I've seen elsewhere), that said I'm pretty sure you can actually buy rocks specially made to work in a sauna, it is part of our national traditions after all.
I may be an idiot, but I'm a tolerated idiot
"I think you completely missed the point of sigs. They're supposed to be completely homegrown in the fertile hydroponics lab of your mind, dried in your closet, rolled, and smoked...
Oh wait, that's marijuana..."Einhander Sn0m4n
His Divine Shadow

Yep you can buy sauna stones, my dad also said you can just pick some up from here and there, it's what they did 30+ years ago. We're considering buying white sauna stones though for the contrast.
His Divine Shadow

More shop projects.

Finally done with this very needed project, putting a mobile base on my table saw. At something like 550-600lbs it's too heavy to move around just by dragging. Ever since I saw Matthias Wandels mobile base on woodgears.ca I thought that was one of the best implementations I've seen of this, way better than sticking castors on it permanently, much more solid for it to sit on its own feet when stationary.

Unlike Wandel I didn't have any hardwood at all to build this from, so this is made from spruce and pine leftovers. Used M8 bolts as hinges.

Lifted up.

Now I made this base and used it, then after a few times I found everything was loose and sloppy, the stress of lifting the saw wore it out pretty fast, guess that's why Wandel used hardwood for his base, also his saw is probably 2/3rds the mass of mine. So what I did was I took the lifting assembly apart again, fitted angle and straight irons everywhere there'd be stress to reinforce the whole thing. Lots of metal there now and I think it'll stand up to the wear now.

I'm really stoked I can move my saw around now, like placing it further from the door which is just a tarp, which one time ripped open and it rained on my saw and rusted the table like heck. I'm just done taping every seam on the plastic that covers the walls, now I am nailing up the support boards (I can never remember the name in english, joists perhaps) so I can start making ceiling and walls from the drywall pile also seen in the photos. Then I can mount the proper garage port, finally.

I am still very happy about this saw, best money I ever spent, and no more than if I'd bought a new Dewalt 744XP saw locally, which isn't even half the saw that this one is. It doubles as my work table for handtool working since I don't have a normal workbench, or space to put one yet, you can get alot done with a simple shooting board though, the chisels where good for making the tracks on the ramps that the bearings go in:
Elheru Aran
Emperor's Hand

Post by Elheru Aran »

If you need a workbench, I strongly suggest checking out Chris Schwarz's resources. I have both his workbench books and they're awesome. One in particular could be suitable for your needs, it's fairly cheap (under $200, about half of the price is hardware, the rest is wood). Try googling "$175 Workbench".

I have a workbench that I keep outdoors-- not an ideal place for it, I know, but it works fine. Just have to plane the top level every now and then. Made a leg vise out of some 2-by material and a pipe clamp.
His Divine Shadow

I've been working on plans for a roubo style workbench with scandinavian influences actually. Probably make it from birch (traditional workbench material here) and put a classical L-shaped end vise on it and the roubo leg vise.
Elheru Aran
Emperor's Hand

Post by Elheru Aran »

Oh,yes. The Roubo. Those suckers are lovely in a classic way. How long are you planning on? And do you intend to have a sliding deadman?