Modern World STGOD Concept

Create, read, or participate in text-based RPGs

Moderators: Thanas, Steve

Siege
Sith Marauder

Re: Modern World STGOD Concept

Post by Siege »

In #2 the NPC in Frequesue and to an arguably lesser extent Velaria were a great way to spin stories. Setting a story there meant it didn't immediately impact your own nation, so you could much more freely send troops and skirmish and blow shit up. Arguably the lack of NPCs was why nothing ever happened on Messica; even on the Old Continent the only place anything ever really happened was in the Border States (which were NPCs until Shady absorbed them).

Maybe this time around players will be more willing to wreak havoc on their own nations: game #2 is a long long time ago, times have changed and so have players. Even so I'd say that having a fair few NPCs around won't hurt the game, and I wouldn't be opposed to having a few more littered around the map.
SDN World 2: The North Frequesuan Trust
SDN World 3: The Sultanate of Egypt
SDN World 4: The United Solarian Sovereignty
SDN World 5: San Dorado
There'll be a bodycount, we're gonna watch it rise
The folks at CNN, they won't believe their eyes
Steve
Emperor's Hand

Post by Steve »

I do want NPCs, because I think they can fuel stories and interactions so long as we keep people restrained in how they use them.
”A Radical is a man with both feet planted firmly in the air.” – Franklin Delano Roosevelt

"No folly is more costly than the folly of intolerant idealism." - Sir Winston L. S. Churchill, Princips Britannia

American Conservatism is about the exercise of personal responsibility without state interference in the lives of the citizenry..... unless, of course, it involves using the bludgeon of state power to suppress things Conservatives do not like.

DONALD J. TRUMP IS A SEDITIOUS TRAITOR AND MUST BE IMPEACHED
RogueIce
_______

Post by RogueIce »

Also to use the other map format, here's my provisional placement:

Who knows, maybe as things get tweaked and added to, I'll go over to the east of the Dorado/Umeria/Omnia continent, or a bit north to be a little warmer down south. But we'll see how it goes with additional players (if any), NPCs, etc.
"How can I wait unknowing?
This is the price of war,
We rise with noble intentions,
And we risk all that is pure..." - Angela & Jeff van Dyck, Forever (Rome: Total War)

"On and on, through the years,
The war continues on..." - Angela & Jeff van Dyck, We Are All One (Medieval 2: Total War)
"Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the judgment that something else is more important than fear." - Ambrose Redmoon
"You either die a hero, or you live long enough to see yourself become the villain." - Harvey Dent, The Dark Knight
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

Steve wrote:http://i1353.photobucket.com/albums/q66 ... 32bba4.jpg

if there are any issues with the sizes let me know, this is what looks to be what we have so far save for the southern Eastern Hemisphere Continent.

Looks fine, except can you flip ostrheinland so it slants towards the left instead the right? And it should be three islands, not some I-don't even know what it is. Just look at the way Japan is set up today and copy that except maybe not exactly.

Kartr_Kana wrote:
Simon_Jester wrote:We're still a little short on landmass for an Earthlike planet. Do we hold out for more players, or start roughing out an NPC continent?
Well I'm still not on there and I think there are one or two more players who aren't shown yet, so maybe give it a couple more days.

You are on there, between me, Kangaria and the UCOSR as we discussed.
Whoever says "education does not matter" can try ignorance
------------
A decision must be made in the life of every nation at the very moment when the grasp of the enemy is at its throat. Then, it seems that the only way to survive is to use the means of the enemy, to rest survival upon what is expedient, to look the other way. Well, the answer to that is 'survival as what'? A country isn't a rock. It's not an extension of one's self. It's what it stands for. It's what it stands for when standing for something is the most difficult! - Chief Judge Haywood
------------
My LPs
Kartr_Kana
Jedi Knight

Post by Kartr_Kana »

Thanas wrote:
Steve wrote:http://i1353.photobucket.com/albums/q66 ... 32bba4.jpg

if there are any issues with the sizes let me know, this is what looks to be what we have so far save for the southern Eastern Hemisphere Continent.

Looks fine, except can you flip ostrheinland so it slants towards the left instead the right? And it should be three islands, not some I-don't even know what it is. Just look at the way Japan is set up today and copy that except maybe not exactly.

Kartr_Kana wrote:
Simon_Jester wrote:We're still a little short on landmass for an Earthlike planet. Do we hold out for more players, or start roughing out an NPC continent?
Well I'm still not on there and I think there are one or two more players who aren't shown yet, so maybe give it a couple more days.

You are on there, between me, Kangaria and the UCOSR as we discussed.
Map is too low res I can't see any names, plus I don't remember discussing my location, just that I'm not too concerned about the shape. Of course it's been a hectic few days so I may have missed something.
Last edited by Kartr_Kana on 2014-05-12 09:09pm, edited 1 time in total.

"Our Country won't go on forever, if we stay soft as we are now. There won't be any AMERICA because some foreign soldier will invade us and take our women and breed a hardier race!"
LT. GEN. LEWIS "CHESTY" PULLER, USMC
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

Kartr_Kana wrote:Map is too low res I can't see any names, plus I don't remember discussing my location, just that I'm not too concerned about the shape. Of course it's been a hectic few days so I may have missed something.
:?:
http://bbs.stardestroyer.net/viewtopic. ... 4#p3839234
Kartr_Kana wrote:
Thanas wrote:Katr_Kana could be to the southeast of Rheinland as sort of a buffer state between Fin and Rheinland which would both hinder possible invasions.
I wouldn't mind that, in fact I was actually picturing my nation being on the same continent as Rheinland and Rheinland's power being one of the major forces driving the union of the Republics into a single larger state. Once they lost their colonies and no longer had that wealth and power to draw on.

As to what shape I proposed and actual map, see this.
------------
A decision must be made in the life of every nation at the very moment when the grasp of the enemy is at its throat. Then, it seems that the only way to survive is to use the means of the enemy, to rest survival upon what is expedient, to look the other way. Well, the answer to that is 'survival as what'? A country isn't a rock. It's not an extension of one's self. It's what it stands for. It's what it stands for when standing for something is the most difficult! - Chief Judge Haywood
------------
My LPs
Kartr_Kana
Jedi Knight

Post by Kartr_Kana »

Sorry, long couple of days.

The only thing I would like to change on the overal shape of my borders, is to have the southern border almost exactly east-west to give some more coastline.

"Our Country won't go on forever, if we stay soft as we are now. There won't be any AMERICA because some foreign soldier will invade us and take our women and breed a hardier race!"
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

Kartr, Thanas, is there any chance of getting that original image into some kind of link so it won't break page formatting?
This space dedicated to Vasily Arkhipov
TimothyC
Of Sector 2814

Post by TimothyC »

I'd really prefer if the islands in the western Pacific took a turn south, and short of something blocking the tropics, we're going to get some nasty storms circulating.

This is the shape I'd prefer:

Image I've used EEZs because for a nation of small islands, that's important - also, While the common name is "The Kingdom of Hawai'i", the formal name is now even longer "The Sorverign Kingdoms of Hawai'i, Tahiti, Samoa, and Fiji".

While the population will change, as will the GDP, I'm still much much smaller than most of you in economic terms (even if I've got a HEUG EEZ).

Edit: New Population breakdown by Kingdom:
Hawai'i: 3681k
Fiji: 963k
Samoa: 300k
Tahiti: 370k
Last edited by TimothyC on 2014-05-12 10:27pm, edited 1 time in total.
"I believe in the future. It is wonderful because it stands on what has been achieved." - Sergei Korolev
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

Kartr_Kana wrote:Sorry, long couple of days.

The only thing I would like to change on the overal shape of my borders, is to have the southern border almost exactly east-west to give some more coastline.
Sorry, maybe that got lost somewhere - yellow is just climate zone (subtropical) and not a border. Basically everything that is not purple or not divided by a border on that map is yours. Granadia is "just" the spain and balearic isles equivalent.

Simon_Jester wrote:Kartr, Thanas, is there any chance of getting that original image into some kind of link so it won't break page formatting?
I have only posted links in this thread, what are you talking about?
------------
------------
My LPs
Kartr_Kana
Jedi Knight

Post by Kartr_Kana »

Thanas wrote:
Kartr_Kana wrote:Sorry, long couple of days.

Sorry, maybe that got lost somewhere - yellow is just climate zone (subtropical) and not a border. Basically everything that is not purple or not divided by a border on that map is yours. Granadia is "just" the spain and balearic isles equivalent.
Ah ok then I am ok with those borders, though its kinda funny that a nation with Irish and Scottish Gaelic names would be in the "Mediterranean."
Thanas wrote:
Simon_Jester wrote:Kartr, Thanas, is there any chance of getting that original image into some kind of link so it won't break page formatting?
I have only posted links in this thread, what are you talking about?
Our quotes have images.

Steve
Emperor's Hand

Post by Steve »

You want three islands of similar size then, Thanas? Those islands I colored are Honshu-Kyushu (they look like one due to the pixels), Shikoku, and Hokkaido flipped to the right.
”A Radical is a man with both feet planted firmly in the air.” – Franklin Delano Roosevelt

"No folly is more costly than the folly of intolerant idealism." - Sir Winston L. S. Churchill, Princips Britannia

American Conservatism is about the exercise of personal responsibility without state interference in the lives of the citizenry..... unless, of course, it involves using the bludgeon of state power to suppress things Conservatives do not like.

DONALD J. TRUMP IS A SEDITIOUS TRAITOR AND MUST BE IMPEACHED
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

[Sorry, you're right, the images are in the quotes so you don't have control over them. Oops.]
This space dedicated to Vasily Arkhipov
Kartr_Kana
Jedi Knight

Post by Kartr_Kana »

Simon_Jester wrote:[Sorry, you're right, the images are in the quotes so you don't have control over them. Oops.]
Actually you can go in to edit and delete the [ img ][ /img ] tags and the image goes away.

Jub
Sith Marauder

Post by Jub »

I've finally figured out a map for my nation. I'm going to end up with more land than I initially wanted, but that's fine by me.

Legend
White --- Tundra
Grey --- Boreal Forest
Brown --- Major Mountain Ranges
Light Green --- Canadian Shield
Darker Green --- Pine Forests
Yellow --- Plains
Sand --- Desert
Other Green --- Swamp
Dark Blue --- Lakes
Lighter Blue --- Rivers
Red Line --- Border between Dreisgrond and Versahinveld

The dots are major cities with the largest black and white dots being cities of 5-10 million people, the smaller ones being cities of between 5 and 1 million, the larger black dots being cities of 1 to 0.5 million, and the smaller black dots being cities of 500,000 to 100,000 people.

------

Also, story and city names and history should come over the next couple days inspiration willing.
Last edited by Jub on 2014-05-13 12:29am, edited 1 time in total.
Kartr_Kana
Jedi Knight

Post by Kartr_Kana »

Could we get an archipelago of small one island NPC nations south of the Federated Republics, stretching from Granadia to UOCSR, the Minoan Archipelago. Or any other name, that's not really important. However I have a story idea or two that I need some islands infested with somali-style pirates and small semi-legitimate island governments for.

KlavoHunter
Jedi Master

Post by KlavoHunter »

*Looks at the constantly updating map* Hmmm. How to make my nation fit in on the BigStevemerican continent and have a land border with pretty much all of you...
"The 4th Earl of Hereford led the fight on the bridge, but he and his men were caught in the arrow fire. Then one of de Harclay's pikemen, concealed beneath the bridge, thrust upwards between the planks and skewered the Earl of Hereford through the anus, twisting the head of the iron pike into his intestines. His dying screams turned the advance into a panic."'

SDNW4: The Sultanate of Klavostan
Jub
Sith Marauder

Post by Jub »

The bottom of Versahinveld could be a land boarder with another nation, just remove the islands.
KlavoHunter
Jedi Master

Post by KlavoHunter »

I realize this is horrifically wrong, because Beowulf wanted Tianguo to be a peninsula, and I don't know who all he wants to border... But here goes.

"The 4th Earl of Hereford led the fight on the bridge, but he and his men were caught in the arrow fire. Then one of de Harclay's pikemen, concealed beneath the bridge, thrust upwards between the planks and skewered the Earl of Hereford through the anus, twisting the head of the iron pike into his intestines. His dying screams turned the advance into a panic."'

Jub
Sith Marauder

Post by Jub »

Your image seems to be broken.
KlavoHunter
Jedi Master

Post by KlavoHunter »

Image Oops.

Obviously, it's totally subject to change, I'm not entirely a fan of having *THAT* much coastline... I was just a bit peeved that people were making maps without my nation.

Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

Steve wrote:You want three islands of similar size then, Thanas? Those islands I colored are Honshu-Kyushu (they look like one due to the pixels), Shikoku, and Hokkaido flipped to the right.
Oh, apparently I suck at recognizing shapes now.No, that is fine. Sorry about that.

@Simon: Sorry about that. Forgot about the quoted image, I hope I fixed it now. If not, yell at me.

Kartr_Kana wrote:Could we get an archipelago of small one island NPC nations south of the Federated Republics, stretching from Granadia to UOCSR, the Minoan Archipelago. Or any other name, that's not really important. However I have a story idea or two that I need some islands infested with somali-style pirates and small semi-legitimate island governments for.
Rheinland would probably invade any pirate nation that close to its borders, so if you want pirates why not have them a bit far more away where they won't threaten Rheinland shipping? Unless you don't mind Rheinland getting involved, that is.
------------
------------
My LPs
Force Lord
Jedi Council Member

Post by Force Lord »

Thanas, here there be names!

Disclaimer: I am not responsible for any injuries or linguistic traumas caused by the butchering of the names of real-life Iberian cities. :mrgreen:

http://i.imgur.com/1gp4Y3O.jpg
An inhabitant from the Island of Cars.
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

Very cool, thanks. :)
------------
------------
My LPs
Kartr_Kana
Jedi Knight

Post by Kartr_Kana »

Thanas wrote:
Steve wrote:You want three islands of similar size then, Thanas? Those islands I colored are Honshu-Kyushu (they look like one due to the pixels), Shikoku, and Hokkaido flipped to the right.
Oh, apparently I suck at recognizing shapes now.No, that is fine. Sorry about that.

@Simon: Sorry about that. Forgot about the quoted image, I hope I fixed it now. If not, yell at me.

Kartr_Kana wrote:Could we get an archipelago of small one island NPC nations south of the Federated Republics, stretching from Granadia to UOCSR, the Minoan Archipelago. Or any other name, that's not really important. However I have a story idea or two that I need some islands infested with somali-style pirates and small semi-legitimate island governments for.
Rheinland would probably invade any pirate nation that close to its borders, so if you want pirates why not have them a bit far more away where they won't threaten Rheinland shipping? Unless you don't mind Rheinland getting involved, that is.
No having Rheinland get involved is part of the point. The Minoan Archipelago has historically lacked any significant natural resources, and its position is such that any attempt to seize it would like cause a war with the other nations around the Archipelago due to its strategic location near many trade routes and potential for airbases on some of the larger Atolls. This means that the most anyone does is send in a company or two of Marines supported by a destroyer to pound pirate bases.