The "I didn't think this through" Thread (spoilers)

OT: anything goes!

Moderator: Edi

TheFeniX
Sith Marauder

The "I didn't think this through" Thread (spoilers)

Post by TheFeniX »

Also acceptable are the "I should have just stayed home" themes that go on a lot in all kinds of media.

Babylon 5:
The left-over Night Watchmen (SS, Hilter Youth, Thought Police, whatever analog) on the station kidnap Delenn (The Mimbari Ambassador) in order to drive off the Mimbari Cruisers protecting the station. They plan to kill her and blame in on Sheridan, the Human commander of the station.

A kidnapper (the batshit crazy one) even points out, as Bablyon 5 is good with the exposition, that Mimbari don't deal well with their leaders getting killed. He's right, because the last time this happened (even though it was a misunderstanding) , the Mimbari almost committed genocide on humanity and there was nothing the Earth Alliance could do about it. The Mimbari stopped only due to plot power.

So, you plan to kill Delenn.. and blame it on Sherridan... a Human.. and they will... just leave? Yea, no. Now I get the Shadows have their hands in everything and the Night-watchmen might be stupid. But this plan comes from HQ and no one in their right mind could possibly think this is a good idea, or even a bad one. It's a disastrous plan even if it succeeds. At best, they could expect the Mimbari to just blow up B5, which isn't a win. At the worst, with all the fires Earth Alliance is putting out around their territory: even 3 Mimbari warships could probably flatten Earth. Good call.

Even if I buy that the Shadows promised to protect Earth Alliance in the event of another Human-Mimbari war, neither EA nor the shadows could reasonably assume the Mimbari would simply leave if Delenn died with Sheridan at fault. This seemed to be a case of the writers assuming everyone knew what the viewer already knew.

Diablo 3:
A witch uses her vagina for evil to bang Diablo (or the human he inhabits) to create a vessel for his return because Blizzard loves this shit. Years later, you stumble upon the witch while you have her daughter in tow. She is about to be brutally murdered and you save her. There is no indication this was a setup: the witch really would have died had you not saved her.

You then help her collect all the Demon Souls™ and she promptly betrays you all and bad things happen. So, what Blizzard is telling me is that, had I just stayed at the tavern and kept pounding brew, things might not have gotten any better, but they damn sure wouldn't have become as bad as they did. Good Call.

RED (Retired Extremely Dangerous): Bruce Willis is retired and the only thing he seems to want to do is play doctor with Mary-Louise Parker. Let's face facts: who in their right mind wouldn't? He's the badass of the badasses and you have him under surveillance. He has no interest or even knowledge of your plans. Here's an idea: Let's send in a massive hit-squad and try to kill him. In the process, expend thousands of rounds culminating in turning a quiet suburban neighborhood into a warzone. Bonus points: after he kills all your men and escapes, continue antagonizing him. I'm sure it will all work out in the end.

Dead Space: You know how dangerous the necromorphs are. Hell, you know just about everything that's been going on. Your job is to get the situation under control and retake control of a space-ship the size of a city. You have your selection of people to bring along with you. What do you choose? A complete platoon of informed and loyal soldiers and engineers? Nah: 3 soldiers and a mentally unstable wrench-jocky will do. This plan cannot fail!

Riddick: (Hell, I liked this movie). You're trying to capture the most dangerous criminal in the galaxy. His bounty is higher if he's dead, he's so dangerous. He has no firearms, yet he's already picked off a few of your armed men. You are now alone in a room with an attractive, yet dangerous, woman. Honestly, with how fucking evil the average merc is, how many female mercs could their be? There are armed mercs within ear shot. Many of said mercs are her comrades. Decision time: I know, let's try and rape her.
Imperial Overlord
Emperor's Hand

Re: The "I didn't think this through" Thread (spoilers)

Post by Imperial Overlord »

With regard to Riddick, Santana is consistently portrayed as an overconfident rapist with bad judgement. There's a whole night and day contrast between his nearly 100% cocky scum crew and John's crew of badass professionals who don't abuse their prisoners and get shit done.
The Excellent Prismatic Spray. For when you absolutely, positively must kill a motherfucker. Accept no substitutions. Contact a magician of the later Aeons for details. Some conditions may apply.
Ahriman238
Sith Marauder

Post by Ahriman238 »

Everything the Weyland-Yutani Corporation ever does?

Similarly, the heroes of Event Horizon would have made out much better if they stayed home. As it is several people died for nothing, but there was no way they could know that going in.
"Any plan which requires the direct intervention of any deity to work can be assumed to be a very poor one."- Newbiespud
Purple
Sith Acolyte
Location: In a purple cube orbiting this planet. Hijacking satellites for an internet connection.

Post by Purple »

I can't believe no one mentioned the bit where they forgot to put a grate over that exhaust port.
It has become clear to me in the previous days that any attempts at reconciliation and explanation with the community here has failed. I have tried my best. I really have. I pored my heart out trying. But it was all for nothing.

You win. There, I have said it.

Now there is only one thing left to do. Let us see if I can sum up the strength needed to end things once and for all.
Zaune
Emperor's Hand

Post by Zaune »

The Jedi are forbidden to form strong emotional attachments to other people -particularly but not exclusively- because it could negatively impact their judgement. Seriously, what kettle-fucker thought that was a good idea?
There are hardly any excesses of the most crazed psychopath that cannot easily be duplicated by a normal kindly family man who just comes in to work every day and has a job to do.
-- (Terry Pratchett, Small Gods)

Replace "ginger" with "n*gger," and suddenly it become a lot less funny, doesn't it?
-- fgalkin

Like my writing? Tip me on Patreon

I Have A Blog
Scrib
Jedi Knight

Post by Scrib »

Zaune wrote:The Jedi are forbidden to form strong emotional attachments to other people -particularly but not exclusively- because it could negatively impact their judgement. Seriously, what kettle-fucker thought that was a good idea?
The same person who is in the Force somewhere rubbing his chin and telling all the Jedi that were killed by Anakin (or Jacen):"see? I told you so!".

Turns out that they were absolutely right. I've always found the fandom's single-minded insistence that they weren't strange.
Kuja
The Dark Messenger

Post by Kuja »

Can I cite the entire plot of World of Warcraft?
JADAFETWA
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

Scrib wrote:
Zaune wrote:The Jedi are forbidden to form strong emotional attachments to other people -particularly but not exclusively- because it could negatively impact their judgement. Seriously, what kettle-fucker thought that was a good idea?
The same person who is in the Force somewhere rubbing his chin and telling all the Jedi that were killed by Anakin (or Jacen):"see? I told you so!".

Turns out that they were absolutely right. I've always found the fandom's single-minded insistence that they weren't strange.
I think the core of the argument is that Jedi will, sooner or later, inevitably develop strong emotional attachments; you can't really stop that from happening. If it does happen, the details of how the order handles it almost guarantees things will go wrong, because they're trying so hard to suppress the feelings that anyone who experiences them can't really talk about them.

There's no "okay, you've fallen in love, let's take this seriously and sympathetically and see if we can find a way to support you." Say, finding posts for such Jedi that are less stressful and less likely to result in said Jedi falling, and making sure that the loved one is protected from any threats that might turn a potential security risk into a very actual one.

There's none of that. It's all "If you reveal this you'll be expelled!" Which leads predictably to "if you're going to expel me anyway just for being who I am, then there's not really much point in my remaining loyal to you!"
This space dedicated to Vasily Arkhipov
Zaune
Emperor's Hand

Post by Zaune »

And perhaps more to the point, how the hell does anyone go through life without any loved ones at all and not go mad? It's not just a vow of kinda-sorta-celibacy the Jedi are expected to take; Anakin wasn't even allowed to keep in touch with his mother.

Frankly, it's a wonder any Jedi don't fall to the Dark side.
There are hardly any excesses of the most crazed psychopath that cannot easily be duplicated by a normal kindly family man who just comes in to work every day and has a job to do.

Replace "ginger" with "n*gger," and suddenly it become a lot less funny, doesn't it?
-- fgalkin

I Have A Blog
Gandalf
SD.net White Wizard

Post by Gandalf »

Zaune wrote:Frankly, it's a wonder any Jedi don't fall to the Dark side.
If you get them early enough, indoctrination should be easy enough.

"The Order is mother. The Order is father."
"Oh no, oh yeah, tell me how can it be so fair
That we dying younger hiding from the police man over there
Just for breathing in the air they wanna leave me in the chair
Electric shocking body rocking beat streeting me to death"

- A.B. Original, Report to the Mist

"I think it’s the duty of the comedian to find out where the line is drawn and cross it deliberately."
- George Carlin
Tribble
Sith Devotee

Post by Tribble »

The villain's "plan" in Star Trek (2009) certainly qualifies. What's his name again? Nemo?
"I reject your reality and substitute my own!" - The official Troll motto, as stated by Adam Savage
Zaune
Emperor's Hand

Post by Zaune »

Tribble wrote:The villain's "plan" in Star Trek (2009) certainly qualifies. What's his name again? Nemo?
Nero. And does that count for the purposes of this thread? It's explicitly acknowledged in-universe that he's not thinking things all the way through because he just lost his wife and unborn child to a terrible disaster.

-- fgalkin

I Have A Blog
Kitsune
Sith Devotee

Post by Kitsune »

How about real life Jews rebelling against the Romans?
"He that would make his own liberty secure must guard even his enemy from oppression; for if he violates this duty, he establishes a precedent that will reach to himself."
Thomas Paine

"For the living know that they shall die: but the dead know not any thing, neither have they any more a reward; for the memory of them is forgotten."
Ecclesiastes 9:5 (KJV)
Highlord Laan
Jedi Master
Location: Christo-fundie Theofascist Dominion of Nebraskistan

Post by Highlord Laan »

Oh, ho. The Diablo 3 bit is even worse that that. "We've discovered several journals that mention her by name in relation to the very coven we're fighting, and another that states she knew full well what was inside Prince Aiden and didn't warn anyone. Let's trust her implicitly anyway." After completely inevitable but totally unforeseen betrayal, we're going to walk up to her, a powerful mage, and rather than open fire immediately, instead give her time to talk and cast a spell.

I am so tired of storylines that require the heroes/PC's to be fucking retards. Why can I never have an actually intelligent and pragmatic player character in a video game? Do people actually enjoy the water-brained hero that's always a step behind and getting yanked around through pure writer fiat?
Never underestimate the ingenuity and cruelty of the Irish.
FaxModem1
Emperor's Hand

Post by FaxModem1 »

Mass Effect 2. "Hey, I know they were the renegade terrorists from the first game, and killed admirals, innocents, and all sorts in their racist agenda to put humanity on top, and cannot be trusted, but I'll work for them no matter what, and won't tell him to just fuck off from the very beginning, because hey, they resurrected me as a weapon for their use against our common enemy. Shame though that everyone is distancing themself from me because I'm siding with terrorists."
TheFeniX
Sith Marauder

Post by TheFeniX »

Imperial Overlord wrote:With regard to Riddick, Santana is consistently portrayed as an overconfident rapist with bad judgement. There's a whole night and day contrast between his nearly 100% cocky scum crew and John's crew of badass professionals who don't abuse their prisoners and get shit done.
I can get him raping and murdering his contracts because the Riddick verse is a terrible place. But how could a man with such poor judgement survive being around even other mercs? Surely a man who is willing to rape another merc when everyone is in ear-shot is just as likely to have a contract on his own head.
Ahriman238 wrote:Similarly, the heroes of Event Horizon would have made out much better if they stayed home. As it is several people died for nothing, but there was no way they could know that going in.
Granted, but it isn't like they had any reason to suspect to find anything like what they did. By the time they started figuring things out, they were already pretty much fucked and just staying home still leaves the Event Horizon sitting in space. The characters in Diablo, Leah especially, have no excuse to not be savvy about the shit-hole world they live in.
Highlord Laan wrote:I am so tired of storylines that require the heroes/PC's to be fucking retards. Why can I never have an actually intelligent and pragmatic player character in a video game? Do people actually enjoy the water-brained hero that's always a step behind and getting yanked around through pure writer fiat?
I loved them turning this on it's head in Shadow Complex. The "Doctor" taunts the hero (who has a gun pointed at the bad guy) with the line "you don't look like a killer to me," then promptly gets shot in the face.
Zaune wrote:
Tribble wrote:The villain's "plan" in Star Trek (2009) certainly qualifies. What's his name again? Nemo?
Nero. And does that count for the purposes of this thread? It's explicitly acknowledged in-universe that he's not thinking things all the way through because he just lost his wife and unborn child to a terrible disaster.
I really just like laughing at an ideas/writing that is so bad, any drama created is overridden by the complete stupidity of the premise or the only way it pans out is due to more writer's fiat or flat-out luck.

It's like in Walking Dead where this weird one-eyed guy shows up to a group of people "who don't trust anyone." IIRC, one of the guys in the group knows the Governer and knows what he's capable of. Pretty soon, all the leaders of this small band start dieing. Then one-day, this same guy declares that he's in charge, even though they were getting by just fine without him. Now they're going to steal the prison from other suvivors because "they are bad people." They bring a tank, and their new leader chops a bound man's head off with a Katana. Everyone knows loud noises attracted the undead. So... then everyone starts shooting and they start blowing holes in the walls of the shelter they want to take from these people.

So, the plan is to take a fortified prison with enough time to avoid getting eaten by walkers..... while also blowing huge chunks out of the walls. During all this, they are expending God only knows how many thousands of rounds of ammunition. How exactly did these people survive at all in the wilderness when some guy can come along and make them murder women and children with a single speech? That one bitch getting shot in the head by a pre-teen was hilarious though.

Dead Space (again): Your plan has succeeded. The marker is back to where it needs to be. Anyone who knows anything is dead (for no good reason). The man who made this all possible through bravery, resourcefulness, and some insanity is standing in front of you. You've just informed him in a mocking tone that has girlfriend is dead and has been from the start. Do you:
A. Apologize and inform him that there's nothing he could have done and that you could use someone like him to help put things back together? Lay it on thick and convince him he's a hero?
B. Mock him even more giving him no good reason not to murder you?
C. B and also get yourself killed by a tentacle monster because you have no one around to protect you from said tentacle monster?

BioShock: Again, your plan has succeeded. Your brain-washed killing machine has murdered Ryan and turned control of the city over to you. You have no idea his controls have been removed and he could still prove valuable considering he's done all the heavy lifting and still has Ryan's DNA. Hell, why drop the Atlas persona at all, even if you never needed it? Having a roving death machine to clear out any other Big Daddies or splicers would be immensely handy. Nah, tell him to off himself and juice yourself up on Adam, I'm sure it will all work out.

Both those games really fell apart at the end.
Scrib
Jedi Knight

Post by Scrib »

Simon_Jester wrote:
Scrib wrote:

I think the core of the argument is that Jedi will, sooner or later, inevitably develop strong emotional attachments; you can't really stop that from happening. If it does happen, the details of how the order handles it almost guarantees things will go wrong, because they're trying so hard to suppress the feelings that anyone who experiences them can't really talk about them.

There's no "okay, you've fallen in love, let's take this seriously and sympathetically and see if we can find a way to support you." Say, finding posts for such Jedi that are less stressful and less likely to result in said Jedi falling, and making sure that the loved one is protected from any threats that might turn a potential security risk into a very actual one.

There's none of that. It's all "If you reveal this you'll be expelled!" Which leads predictably to "if you're going to expel me anyway just for being who I am, then there's not really much point in my remaining loyal to you!"
Have you considered the circumstances where we saw this threat hang over a Jedi in the films?

Exhibit A: Anakin almost abandoning the hunt for Dooku to save Padme. Any trainee that would abandon a potential separatist leader who had just kidnapped and killed a few dozen Jedi is, imo, clearly a problem case and his organization is fully justified in getting rid of him. Now, some more sympathetic people can walk them through it to see if they can be saved but Obi-Wan is right, it was (and should have been) a valid consequence of his actions.

Exhibit B: Revenge of the Sith. All of it. Again, of course Anakin is going to be fucking expelled. He didn't come to Yoda and say "I have a crush on a girl and I need to know how to deal with it". He slept with her for three years, married her in defiance of his Order's rules and was having that relationship leveraged by a Sith Lord. In the words of the inimitable James Franco:"fucker's gots to go. Go."

Did Yoda take any action when he obliquely referenced the issue? No.He was given advice. The advice couldn't work because Anakin dug a hole so deep for himself that he only wanted to hear the sorts of solutions that Sidious was offering. Anakin destroyed any chance at help when he acted in a way that was so out of line with the Order's beliefs that they couldn't provide the sort of help he wanted. This isn't some lovestruck padawan being spanked for having naughty thoughts.

There are plenty of Jedi that respect each other. In fact, the master-padawan relationship is built to create and nurture this.They probably all have their ways of dealing with it. A padawan can easily turn to his/her Master and expect help and sympathy.Two knights or masters with mutual respect can do the same. However, when the line is crossed then consequences must naturally follow. Anakin crossed it. Now, part of the problem was probably that Obi-Wan was his master. He was young and they clashed so it caused problems, but perhaps that's why he should never have been trained.

As for changing posts: possible.The Jedi are diplomats, relocation probably happened as a matter of course. Not that they didn't spend some of their time in the Temple away from people too.
And perhaps more to the point, how the hell does anyone go through life without any loved ones at all and not go mad? It's not just a vow of kinda-sorta-celibacy the Jedi are expected to take; Anakin wasn't even allowed to keep in touch with his mother.
You can like and respect people. You just have to realize that your first calling comes first.Isn't this just basic asceticism?
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

Kitsune wrote:How about real life Jews rebelling against the Romans?
Certainly for the second, third, fourth rebellion, but the first one had a real shot. Risky, yes, but not unwinnable. Trouble was that the enemies of Rome did nothing to help them or capitalize on the rebellion as well as the rebels underestimating the resilliency of the Empire.
Whoever says "education does not matter" can try ignorance
------------
A decision must be made in the life of every nation at the very moment when the grasp of the enemy is at its throat. Then, it seems that the only way to survive is to use the means of the enemy, to rest survival upon what is expedient, to look the other way. Well, the answer to that is 'survival as what'? A country isn't a rock. It's not an extension of one's self. It's what it stands for. It's what it stands for when standing for something is the most difficult! - Chief Judge Haywood
------------
My LPs
Lagmonster
Master Control Program
Master Control Program

Post by Lagmonster »

Zaune wrote:And perhaps more to the point, how the hell does anyone go through life without any loved ones at all and not go mad? It's not just a vow of kinda-sorta-celibacy the Jedi are expected to take; Anakin wasn't even allowed to keep in touch with his mother.

Frankly, it's a wonder any Jedi don't fall to the Dark side.
The Clone Wars cartoon deals with this, no? Obi-Wan had 'feelings' for Satine of Mandalore, she loved him, but he was so devoted to the principles of the Order that he just...let it go. In the end, he put his feelings aside, probably because he understood that a force-user who is anything but selfless becomes a danger to other people.

Huh. The Force and Warhammer40K's Warp are startlingly similar things in practice.
Eternal_Freedom
Castellan

Post by Eternal_Freedom »

The Jedi thing reminds me of the Civil Service firing homosexuals because they were a security risk, without realising that it's that police that makes them a security risk.

On a different note: the plot of Doom 3: "Hmm, we're experimenting with teleportation but most every test subject is dead. We sent a camera in and it appears we're teleporting through Hell. Let's continue exploring, nothing bad can happen."

From W40K: "Let's send my genetically-engineered "sons" off to conquer the galaxy in my name without telling them of the gibbering horrors and literal Dark Gods that lurk in the realm they use for FTL travel."
Baltar: "I don't want to miss a moment of the last Battlestar's destruction!"
Centurion: "Sir, I really think you should look at the other Battlestar."
Baltar: "What are you babbling about other...it's impossible!"
Centurion: "No. It is a Battlestar."

Corrax Entry 7:17: So you walk eternally through the shadow realms, standing against evil where all others falter. May your thirst for retribution never quench, may the blood on your sword never dry, and may we never need you again.
TheFeniX
Sith Marauder

Post by TheFeniX »

Does the whole Jedi thing count though? It really doesn't seem like that terrible of an idea. The earliest Sith were those that gave into their passion or glory. By indoctrinating the young and removing temptation, the system worked pretty damn well for a thousand years. Anakin finally brought it down due to a number of factors, such as starting his training when he was older, dealing with the connection to his mother and her eventual death, the council not trusting the prophecy and by extension him, not being given any decent answer to his predicament with Padme due to him not being just some standard Jedi youth (who it might have worked on), and the main thrust of having a Dark Lord of the Sith as his close personal friend.

The way Obi-Wan and other Jedi dealt with Anakin was a big case of "didn't think this through" because it was obvious he wasn't buying it, but they just let it fester. But the overall goal to achieve the perfect Jedi through distancing themselves emotionally seemed like a good idea and worked pretty well.

The Mummy: To perform the ultimate punishment on the man who stole the King's consort and murdered him as well, you cursed him into a living death filled with endless agony. Except, if he somehow escapes his prison, he will decimate the entire world because he now has means far beyond what he had originally. Hilariously, why bother with the Scorpions King's army in the 2nd movie when you have the same powers you had in the first movie?

Final Fantasy 6: You've just invaded the Esper realm and murdered/captured pretty much everyone. You find a newborn child and realize she's a human/esper hybrid. You could raise her as your own daughter, a princess you could mold into your own image with unwavering loyalty. Hell, just raising her to be a loyal soldier would be easy enough: claim her latent powers are the effects of Magitek as you will later do to 3 of your generals. Nah, slap a slave crown on her so that if something happens to your mindless murder machine, she'll be completely uncontrolled and be able to be used by anyone who gets their hands on her.

Total Recall: Quaid has been activated prematurely, but the plan is progressing. You have to apply just enough danger to him so he doesn't catch on, but not actively try to kill him. I know, send the real husband of the woman he's been banging for the past 6 months. While you're at it, make sure to send along a couple of goons who will bust the husbands balls about how Arnold (I'm sorry, Howser) has been banging your wife and she's probably been enjoying it.
SilverDragonRed
Padawan Learner

Post by SilverDragonRed »

Final Fantasy 13: God-like Fal'cie tells us that killing and Orphan will destroy the world. Defy him by doing exactly what he wants us to do; save the world by killing him and Orphan.
Ah yes, the "Alpha Legion". I thought we had dismissed such claims.
Crazedwraith
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crazedwraith »

Chronicles of Riddick: It has been prophesied you will be killed by a Furyan.You take this seriously enough to attempt to genocide the Furyan people. Then years later, you are challenged to single combat by a Furyan. You accept.
Scrib
Jedi Knight

Post by Scrib »

Just went through 90% of NBC's Dracula and a good example is Van Helsing releasing Dracula seemingly without being certain of his ability to counter him. And then he
Spoiler
Proceeds to try to create a magic sunlight blocking potion for said immortal monster even though he has shown no ability to take him on in actual combat (not that the show has spectacular combat or vampire powers-well, except for Dracula) he sucker punched him when he was weakest and never got the upper hand again.

And, for that matter, the Order of the Dragon. Vlad the Impaler is being an asshole? You can't just kill him, no.You have to turn him into an undead plague that is immortal, powerful and can create an eternity's worth of trouble for you. Then you proceed to fail to secure him once because of piss poor security, then secure him in a coffin where he goes dormant, completely undermining the entire reason he was made immortal. If it was to make him suffer why let him hibernate?
Imperial Overlord
Emperor's Hand

Post by Imperial Overlord »

TheFeniX wrote:
Imperial Overlord wrote:With regard to Riddick, Santana is consistently portrayed as an overconfident rapist with bad judgement. There's a whole night and day contrast between his nearly 100% cocky scum crew and John's crew of badass professionals who don't abuse their prisoners and get shit done.
I can get him raping and murdering his contracts because the Riddick verse is a terrible place. But how could a man with such poor judgement survive being around even other mercs? Surely a man who is willing to rape another merc when everyone is in ear-shot is just as likely to have a contract on his own head.
He's not exactly an old man and his crew is pretty much one step removed from bandits, with one exception. He was also humiliated by Starbuck and in the boonies, with perceived relative parity. And its not like he goes on to make it old age.
The Excellent Prismatic Spray. For when you absolutely, positively must kill a motherfucker. Accept no substitutions. Contact a magician of the later Aeons for details. Some conditions may apply.