Anti-alien Empire Origin

PSW: discuss Star Wars without "versus" arguments.

Moderator: Vympel

edaw1982
Padawan Learner

Anti-alien Empire Origin

Post by edaw1982 »

I'm curious as to where the idea that the Empire (or atleast the military) was composed of Xenophobes? Is it a purely EU thing or is it because of the lack of aliens on Imperial vessels?
"Put book front and center. He's our friend, we should honour him. Kaylee, find that kid who's taking a dirt-nap with baby Jesus. We need a hood ornment. Jayne! Try not to steal too much of their sh*t!"
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Re: Anti-alien Empire Origin

Post by Thanas »

Well, there is that. You only have humans or people who are near humans on Imperial ships, so this is where the EU got the idea from. Mainly the X-wing novels pushed that idea front and center, whereas in the movies it was more implied. However, in the prequels Palpatine has no qualms about working with aliens. Might be he was only faking it at that point though.

OT: Your sig is messed up.
Whoever says "education does not matter" can try ignorance
------------
A decision must be made in the life of every nation at the very moment when the grasp of the enemy is at its throat. Then, it seems that the only way to survive is to use the means of the enemy, to rest survival upon what is expedient, to look the other way. Well, the answer to that is 'survival as what'? A country isn't a rock. It's not an extension of one's self. It's what it stands for. It's what it stands for when standing for something is the most difficult! - Chief Judge Haywood
------------
My LPs
Metahive
Sith Devotee

Post by Metahive »

I guess it's because of the scenes in ESB where Piett talks scornfully about the alien bounty hunters Vader hired and ANH where an imperial officer calls Chewbacca a "thing". EU writers often take such scenes and spin their own theories from that.
People at birth are naturally good. Their natures are similar, but their habits make them different from each other.
-Sanzi Jing (Three Character Classic)

Saddam’s crime was so bad we literally spent decades looking for our dropped monocles before we could harumph up the gumption to address it
-User Indigo Jump on Pharyngula

O God, please don't let me die today, tomorrow would be so much better!
-Traditional Spathi morning prayer
Eternal_Freedom
Castellan

Post by Eternal_Freedom »

The ESB scene doesn't provide evidence of xenophobia, since Piett says "Bounty hunters! We don't need that scum!"

He's not referring to the aliens, but to the profession.

The "Imperials are xenophobes" is a SW version of a Brain Bug.
Baltar: "I don't want to miss a moment of the last Battlestar's destruction!"
Centurion: "Sir, I really think you should look at the other Battlestar."
Baltar: "What are you babbling about other...it's impossible!"
Centurion: "No. It is a Battlestar."

Corrax Entry 7:17: So you walk eternally through the shadow realms, standing against evil where all others falter. May your thirst for retribution never quench, may the blood on your sword never dry, and may we never need you again.
Metahive
Sith Devotee

Post by Metahive »

You noticed the whole "EU writers often take such scenes and spin their own theories from that"-part, didn't you?
People at birth are naturally good. Their natures are similar, but their habits make them different from each other.

Saddam’s crime was so bad we literally spent decades looking for our dropped monocles before we could harumph up the gumption to address it

Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

Eternal_Freedom wrote:The ESB scene doesn't provide evidence of xenophobia, since Piett says "Bounty hunters! We don't need that scum!"

And yet they went out of their way to make the rebels multiracial and the empire only ever is represented by humans. I would call that a valid interpretation.
------------
A decision must be made in the life of every nation at the very moment when the grasp of the enemy is at its throat. Then, it seems that the only way to survive is to use the means of the enemy, to rest survival upon what is expedient, to look the other way. Well, the answer to that is 'survival as what'? A country isn't a rock. It's not an extension of one's self. It's what it stands for. It's what it stands for when standing for something is the most difficult! - Chief Judge Haywood
------------
My LPs
Metahive
Sith Devotee

Post by Metahive »

Well, in ROTJ at least. In ESB and ANH the Alliance was just as human-centric as the Empire.

Crazedwraith
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crazedwraith »

Eternal_Freedom wrote:The ESB scene doesn't provide evidence of xenophobia, since Piett says "Bounty hunters! We don't need that scum!"

And the guy calling Chewie, 'a thing'? Doesn't count either?

And the fact that every imperial we see is a stuffy white british guy and the rebellion is more diverse. (slightly more diverse and mainly in RotJ but it's there)

Yeah the film isn't blatant about it but it's there. The EU didn't make it up out of nothing and anyway they're the 'evil empire' for goodness sake, why do people have a problem with them being depicted as evil?

eta (darn, Thanas insta-posted me there)
Darth Quorthon
Jedi Knight

Post by Darth Quorthon »

There's a brief reference to it in the novelization of Episode 3, where Dooku is going on internally about how the new government after the clone wars would be a government of human authority, how Dooku would serve and Empire of Man. He reflects that it is no accident that the powers of the Seperatists are Neimodian, Geonosian, etc. Not sure how relevant that is, but there it is.
"For the first few weeks of rehearsal, we tend to sound like a really, really bad Rush tribute band." -Alex Lifeson

"See, we plan ahead, that way we don't do anything right now." - Valentine McKee

"Next time you're gonna be a bit higher!" -General from Birani

"A cynic is a man who, when he smells flowers, looks around for a coffin." - H. L. Mencken

He who creates shields by fire - Rotting Christ, Lex Talionis
Eternal_Freedom
Castellan

Sigh...yes I know there are other arguments, I was specifically addressing that one scene in ESB. There are plenty of other subtler examples without needing to read things that aren't there.

I'd also say that the "Where are you taking this...thing" isn't evidence for a general Imperial xenophobic attitude, just that one guy.

Corrax Entry 7:17: So you walk eternally through the shadow realms, standing against evil where all others falter. May your thirst for retribution never quench, may the blood on your sword never dry, and may we never need you again.
RogueIce
_______

Post by RogueIce »

Yeah, technically that scene just says something about one officer, not the whole Empire.

Really the best inference you can get from the movies is the homogenous makeup of every Imperial we see in the trilogy, being as said a bunch of British white guys. To be fair though, the Rebellion was also pretty damn homogenous up until around the middle of RotJ when we see the Mon Calamari and IIRC a single Sullustan (Lando's co-pilot, of course; don't remember if there were any others).

They also got a little more diversity in their humans, too, though IIRC the black and Asian pilots blew up. :(

You could probably say the same thing with that whole "no women allowed" bias as well. The movie Empire had no women, but the Rebellion was hardly much better with only three. Granted Leia and Mon Mothma were pretty important in the hierarchy but the only "regular" Rebel female was that one operator on Hoth who looked an awful lot like Leia.
"How can I wait unknowing?
This is the price of war,
We rise with noble intentions,
And we risk all that is pure..." - Angela & Jeff van Dyck, Forever (Rome: Total War)

"On and on, through the years,
The war continues on..." - Angela & Jeff van Dyck, We Are All One (Medieval 2: Total War)
"Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the judgment that something else is more important than fear." - Ambrose Redmoon
"You either die a hero, or you live long enough to see yourself become the villain." - Harvey Dent, The Dark Knight
Havok
Miscreant

Post by Havok »

I never bought into the racist aspect of the Empire. I mean a jailor being a dick to a prisoner? Shocking.

Mon Mothma was also stuffy and British. Vader wasn't. Hell, you could almost hear Ackbar being stuffy and British. Aside from the Mon Calamari and Nien Nunb the Rebel Alliance was exclusively shown as human.
It's 106 miles to Chicago, we got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark... and we're wearing sunglasses.
Hit it.
Blank Yellow (NSFW)
"Mostly Harmless Nutcase"
Elheru Aran
Emperor's Hand

Post by Elheru Aran »

There's at least one alien commando in the briefing-room scene in ROTJ. I forget the species, but they're the ones who use slugthrowers according to the old EGWW.
It's a strange world. Let's keep it that way.
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

The extended ROTJ scenes also has lots of aliens IIRC and the script mentions several alien races. The Empire is just humans.
------------
------------
My LPs
Napoleon the Clown
Jedi Council Member

Post by Napoleon the Clown »

Thinking on it, I see no reason that a certain degree of bias against non-humans would be going on among the rebels, either. Most of them had a career with the Empire for some amount of time, so they could harbor some prejudice. Assuming Lucas ever even intended there to be a strong sentiment like that in the Empire. Think of Leia, for example. She refers to Chewie as a walking carpet, if memory serves.

Considering human nature, I'd consider it not unreasonable for the upper echelons of the Empire leadership to be human supremacists. Not necessarily because of any formal policies, but because the kinds of people who would thrive in the Empire and would want to get into positions of leadership would tend to be egotistical, power-hungry assholes. If you look at history, you'll see people often are jackasses toward those they perceive as "others" or "outsiders."

Far as the EU concluding racism in the Empire was rampant, I imagine it mostly comes down to just a few characters being assholes.
Sig images are for people who aren't fucking lazy.
Eternal_Freedom
Castellan

In fact, one of the Rebel characters in the Wraith Squadron books (Castin Donn) did have problems with non-humans. He asked for different quarters because the roommate, Runt (a Thakwassh IIRC) "smells."

Havok
Miscreant

Post by Havok »

Yeah and what dickheaded names did Leia call Han? It's not prejudice, it's elitist at worst and more than likely her probably just being used to getting her way as a Senator that talks shit to Darth Fucking Vader and Grand Moff "I'll Blow Up A Planet To Make A Fucking Point" Tarkin without batting a fucking eye. Jeezuz, get some perspective people.
It's 106 miles to Chicago, we got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark... and we're wearing sunglasses.
Hit it.
Blank Yellow (NSFW)
Havok
Miscreant

Post by Havok »

Eternal_Freedom wrote:In fact, one of the Rebel characters in the Wraith Squadron books (Castin Donn) did have problems with non-humans. He asked for different quarters because the roommate, Runt (a Thakwassh IIRC) "smells."
Citing a character that was from the EU as evidence of racism in the movies is pretty fucking stupid.

"Hey, in the books that assumed the Empire was racist, there was this ex-Imperial guy that was actually racist." :roll:
Hit it.
Blank Yellow (NSFW)
Borgholio
Sith Acolyte

Post by Borgholio »

My 2 cents, it's not racist to say someone smells. If my bunk-mate had horrible BO, I'd want to leave too.
You will be assimilated...bunghole!
Eternal_Freedom
Castellan

Havok wrote:
Eternal_Freedom wrote:In fact, one of the Rebel characters in the Wraith Squadron books (Castin Donn) did have problems with non-humans. He asked for different quarters because the roommate, Runt (a Thakwassh IIRC) "smells."
Citing a character that was from the EU as evidence of racism in the movies is pretty fucking stupid.

"Hey, in the books that assumed the Empire was racist, there was this ex-Imperial guy that was actually racist." :roll:
Actually he was a Rebel pilot and was never part of the Empire. And yes, it's not relevant to the films but it still relates to the "The Empire was anti-alien and the Rebels/Republic wasn't" part.

And yeah, I wouldn't call him anti-alien for objecting to his roommates BO.

RogueIce
_______

Post by RogueIce »

Eternal_Freedom wrote:And yeah, I wouldn't call him anti-alien for objecting to his roommates BO.
For the record, it was rather clear from the scene that Runt didn't really smell and that it was just an excuse on Donn's part.

But Havok said it best:
Havok wrote:Citing a character that was from the EU as evidence of racism in the movies is pretty fucking stupid.
Sometimes I wonder if it's even possible for people around here to actually Stay On Target and not bring up irrelevant things from books/comics/whatever when people are just trying to discuss a movie or TV show on its own.

So yeah. Aside from a couple of isolated incidents and some demographics that the Rebels themselves were pretty damn guilty of for two-thirds of the trilogy, where did this whole anti-alien and anti-women thing come from with the Empire? Note they can still be pretty damn evil without racism/specism/sexism what with the whole blowing up inhabited planets to make a point and nobody blinked an eye at it thing. So questioning this is hardly Imperial apologism.
"How can I wait unknowing?
This is the price of war,
We rise with noble intentions,
And we risk all that is pure..." - Angela & Jeff van Dyck, Forever (Rome: Total War)

"On and on, through the years,
The war continues on..." - Angela & Jeff van Dyck, We Are All One (Medieval 2: Total War)
"Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the judgment that something else is more important than fear." - Ambrose Redmoon
"You either die a hero, or you live long enough to see yourself become the villain." - Harvey Dent, The Dark Knight
StarSword
Jedi Knight

Post by StarSword »

Borgholio wrote:My 2 cents, it's not racist to say someone smells. If my bunk-mate had horrible BO, I'd want to leave too.
It does when the other humans in the squadron note the guy has a distinctive odor but actually rather like it, and he also objects to the smell of the other nonhuman members.
Star Carrier by Ian Douglas: Analysis and Talkback

The Vortex Empire: I think the real question is obviously how a supervolcano eruption wiping out vast swathes of the country would affect the 2016 election.
Borgholio: The GOP would blame Obama and use the subsequent nuclear winter to debunk global warming.
Havok
Miscreant

Post by Havok »

Seriously, how many humans exactly did Tarkin kill when he blew up Alderaan?
Seems to me like the Empire is just anti-Anyone Who Opposes The Empire.
Hit it.
Blank Yellow (NSFW)
FaxModem1
Emperor's Hand

Post by FaxModem1 »

Would a possible root of this be the human slavery out on the rim in more alien dominated planets, such as Tatooine? Slavery seemed to be a common thing in the prequel trilogy, at least for humans there, but by the OT, we don't see any slave characters until Jabba's palace.

I could see a possible root out of, "They're taking our people and enslaving them!" being a rallying point for Imperial supporters against aliens.
Gandalf
SD.net White Wizard

Post by Gandalf »

Havok wrote:Seems to me like the Empire is just anti-Anyone Who Opposes The Empire.
I think that in their actions onscreen, the Empire became characterised by people as space Nazis, which brought along the Nazi baggage.
"Oh no, oh yeah, tell me how can it be so fair
That we dying younger hiding from the police man over there
Just for breathing in the air they wanna leave me in the chair
Electric shocking body rocking beat streeting me to death"

- A.B. Original, Report to the Mist

"I think it’s the duty of the comedian to find out where the line is drawn and cross it deliberately."
- George Carlin