Recommend me some Doctor Who audios

SF: discuss futuristic sci-fi series, ideas, and crossovers.

Moderator: NecronLord

mr friendly guy
The Doctor
Location: In a 1960s police telephone box somewhere in Australia

Recommend me some Doctor Who audios

Post by mr friendly guy »

Anyone listen to Doctor Who audios? I have a few and they are a mix bag. However I have recently found out that my favourite Doctor Tom Baker is doing some audios. As someone growing up with Baker, I am aware when he is on a roll his charisma really shines through. Now that BF productions allows us to directly download it instead of waiting for a CD I am keen to try some of these audios and listen to it in the car when I drive to work.

http://www.bigfinish.com/ranges/release ... adventures

I am generally hoping to start with some Tom Baker ones and then go from there.
Never apologise for being a geek, because they won't apologise to you for being an arsehole. John Barrowman - 22 June 2014 Perth Supernova.

Countries I have been to - 14.
Australia, Canada, China, Colombia, Denmark, Ecuador, Finland, Germany, Malaysia, Netherlands, Norway, Singapore, Sweden, USA.
Always on the lookout for more nice places to visit.
Bedlam
Jedi Master

Re: Recommend me some Doctor Who audios

Post by Bedlam »

mr friendly guy wrote:Anyone listen to Doctor Who audios? I have a few and they are a mix bag. However I have recently found out that my favourite Doctor Tom Baker is doing some audios. As someone growing up with Baker, I am aware when he is on a roll his charisma really shines through. Now that BF productions allows us to directly download it instead of waiting for a CD I am keen to try some of these audios and listen to it in the car when I drive to work.

I've been listening to the BF audio's more or less since the beginning. There have been two series of 6 stories so far with the third just started.

The first series had Leela as the companion, the second the first Romana (Recorded not to long before Mary Tamm's death).

To be honest I don't think the 4th Doctor stories are some of the best in the range, I feel that Tom Baker may not be entirely invested in the role and can be sort of phoning in his role sometimes although Louise Jameson is normally excellent

That said of the first series I would recommend

Wrath of the Iceni - Leela meets Boodica what's not to love? An interesting look at the historical character and comparing her morality to both Leela's and modern sensibilities

Series 2

The Auntie Matter - A nice romp best described as Dr Who crosses over with Jeeves and Whooster
The second series has more of a linked plot that the first didn't, this involves four of the stories involving a industrialist played by David Warner called Cuthbert. David Warner has done a lot of work for Big Finish and he normally put in a good performance and he doesn't disappoint in this case although the stories aren't the best I think the second two parter "The Dalek Contract / The Final Phase" was better than the first.

A good starting point for the Big Finish range might be A light at the end their 50th anniversary special featuring the 4th to 8th Doctors which although the plot could be better at least gives you an introduction to the characters again.
mr friendly guy
The Doctor

Bedlam wrote:
mr friendly guy wrote:Anyone listen to Doctor Who audios? I have a few and they are a mix bag. However I have recently found out that my favourite Doctor Tom Baker is doing some audios. As someone growing up with Baker, I am aware when he is on a roll his charisma really shines through. Now that BF productions allows us to directly download it instead of waiting for a CD I am keen to try some of these audios and listen to it in the car when I drive to work.

I've been listening to the BF audio's more or less since the beginning. There have been two series of 6 stories so far with the third just started.

The first series had Leela as the companion, the second the first Romana (Recorded not to long before Mary Tamm's death).

To be honest I don't think the 4th Doctor stories are some of the best in the range, I feel that Tom Baker may not be entirely invested in the role and can be sort of phoning in his role sometimes although Louise Jameson is normally excellent

That said of the first series I would recommend

Wrath of the Iceni - Leela meets Boodica what's not to love? An interesting look at the historical character and comparing her morality to both Leela's and modern sensibilities

Series 2

The Auntie Matter - A nice romp best described as Dr Who crosses over with Jeeves and Whooster
The second series has more of a linked plot that the first didn't, this involves four of the stories involving a industrialist played by David Warner called Cuthbert. David Warner has done a lot of work for Big Finish and he normally put in a good performance and he doesn't disappoint in this case although the stories aren't the best I think the second two parter "The Dalek Contract / The Final Phase" was better than the first.

A good starting point for the Big Finish range might be A light at the end their 50th anniversary special featuring the 4th to 8th Doctors which although the plot could be better at least gives you an introduction to the characters again.
I have acquired that audio and will be listening to it hopefully shortly. I wouldn't have thought the Aunty matter would be something I liked from the description, but am going to try it out. The things that look interesting to me are the episodes THE JUSTICE OF JALXAR and PHANTOMS OF THE DEEP. I might give the Dalek ones a try, but I sort of "daleked out" with the IMO overuse of them in NuWho.
Never apologise for being a geek, because they won't apologise to you for being an arsehole. John Barrowman - 22 June 2014 Perth Supernova.

Australia, Canada, China, Colombia, Denmark, Ecuador, Finland, Germany, Malaysia, Netherlands, Norway, Singapore, Sweden, USA.
mr friendly guy
The Doctor

I should ask, what are your best Who audios (out of any).

I have
Jubilee (Colin Baker) which from memory was so so

Nightmare Fair (Colin Baker) which was a audio done of the lost episode. I actually enjoyed this one as I found the Celestial Toymaker to be an interesting foe.

Neverland (Paul McGann) which despite having Time Lords and the potential to be epic didn't work for me.

Omega (Peter Davison) -

Chimes of Midnight (Paul McGann) - this is pretty awesome

The Fearmonger (sylvester McCoy) - From what I recalled I enjoyed it

The Marian conspiracy (Colin Baker) - ok from what I remembered.

I also have

Some of the Gallifrey audios - ok I guess
Dalek Empire - not bad.

What I am hoping for is stand alone stories, rather than one requiring you to buy several stories in the season.

Bedlam
Jedi Master

Post by Bedlam »

mr friendly guy wrote:I should ask, what are your best Who audios (out of any).

I have
Jubilee (Colin Baker) which from memory was so so

Nightmare Fair (Colin Baker) which was a audio done of the lost episode. I actually enjoyed this one as I found the Celestial Toymaker to be an interesting foe.

Neverland (Paul McGann) which despite having Time Lords and the potential to be epic didn't work for me.

Omega (Peter Davison) -

Chimes of Midnight (Paul McGann) - this is pretty awesome

The Fearmonger (sylvester McCoy) - From what I recalled I enjoyed it

The Marian conspiracy (Colin Baker) - ok from what I remembered.

I also have

Some of the Gallifrey audios - ok I guess
Dalek Empire - not bad.

What I am hoping for is stand alone stories, rather than one requiring you to buy several stories in the season.

I'd agreed with you that most of those are the best of the crop.

The one Doctor (Colin Baker) is probably some of the best comedy who I've ever heard.
Davros (Colin Baker) is a good character study of the villain, the spin off series I Davros isn't quite as good.
The Kingmaker (Peter Davidson) again is some very good comedy
Spare Parts (Peter Davidson) a good 'genesis of the cybermen' the sound of the partially converted girl crying haunts me to this day.
Protect and Survive (Sylvester McCoy) reminds me very much of when the wind blows.
Id also recommend the recent 1963 trilogy although the second has a huge, 'what the hell?' moment and the third isn't quite as good as the other two.
Some of the earlier mini-series tend to have excellent single episodes is a sea of not so good ones the Sarah Jane Smith story Test or Nerve and UNIT The longest Night.

The Dalek stories were good if generally rather depressing
Galifrey suffered from a shifting premise although they at least tried to keep it fresh, the first few series were the west wing in space, then they tried to be sliders for a while, which was quite fun but just seemed off.
Parallax
Jedi Knight

Post by Parallax »

Colditz was a great story, as was The Chimes of Midnight.
Eternal_Freedom
Castellan

Post by Eternal_Freedom »

Parallax wrote:Colditz was a great story, as was The Chimes of Midnight.
Was that second one anything to do with General Chang's "Do we not hear the chimes of midnight?" line?
Baltar: "I don't want to miss a moment of the last Battlestar's destruction!"
Centurion: "Sir, I really think you should look at the other Battlestar."
Baltar: "What are you babbling about other...it's impossible!"
Centurion: "No. It is a Battlestar."

Corrax Entry 7:17: So you walk eternally through the shadow realms, standing against evil where all others falter. May your thirst for retribution never quench, may the blood on your sword never dry, and may we never need you again.
Bedlam
Jedi Master

Post by Bedlam »

Eternal_Freedom wrote:
Was that second one anything to do with General Chang's "Do we not hear the chimes of midnight?" line?
No, it's a black comedy / horror about life in a somewhat surreal Edwardian house, the chimes of midnight literally set off the house to change.
Eternal_Freedom
Castellan

Bedlam wrote:
Eternal_Freedom wrote:
No, it's a black comedy / horror about life in a somewhat surreal Edwardian house, the chimes of midnight literally set off the house to change.
I suspected as much, but couldn't help thinking of Chang, it's such a well-delivered line :)

Corrax Entry 7:17: So you walk eternally through the shadow realms, standing against evil where all others falter. May your thirst for retribution never quench, may the blood on your sword never dry, and may we never need you again.
TOSDOC
Padawan Learner
Location: Rotating between Redshirt Hospital and the Stormtrooper School of Marksmanship.

Post by TOSDOC »

It's not a story, but have you heard "Moths Ate My Doctor Who Scarf" by Toby Hadoke? I found it on iTunes while looking at other Dr. Who audios, and enjoyed it.
"In the long run, however, there can be no excuse for any individual not knowing what it is possible for him to know. Why shouldn't he?" --Elliot Grosvenor, Voyage of the Space Beagle
Straha
Lord of the Spam

Post by Straha »

Holy Terror with Colin Baker is very good, with a well-done story and a very interesting commentary on religion. Well worth it.
'After 9/11, it was "You're with us or your with the terrorists." Now its "You're with Straha or you support racism."' ' - The Romulan Republic

'You're a bully putting on an air of civility while saying that everything western and/or capitalistic must be bad, and a lot of other posters (loomer, Stas Bush, Gandalf) are also going along with it for their own personal reasons (Stas in particular is looking through rose colored glasses)' - Darth Yan
Parallax
Jedi Knight

Post by Parallax »

There's one Colin Baker audio which is a musical, wherein Baker sings "I am the very model of a Gallifreyan buccaneer".

Ford Prefect
Emperor's Hand

Post by Ford Prefect »

I recommend the Kaldor City series. It's technically a Doctor Who thing - Kaldor City is the home of the storm mine from Robots of Death and the character Uvanov from that serial is basically the main character - though the Doctor doesn't appear. It's even a sort of wink wink tie-in with Blake's 7, as Carnell appears as a major character. The series is really well put together and produced, and has some pretty great intrigue pieces.
What is Project Zohar?

Here's to a certain mostly harmless nutcase.
Eternal_Freedom
Castellan

Thanks Parallax, I've been wanting to hear that song for a while. Colin Baker sings it rather well :)

mr friendly guy
The Doctor

Listening to some lost stories with Tom Baker. He seems better than in the four doctor audios. Not only is Baker supported with a great script and lines, but he seems more enthusiastic in these.

Catman
Padawan Learner

Post by Catman »

I go for Dark Space 8, Jubilee, Spare Parts, almost any 8th Doctor one, and Wrath of the Iceni.
Canon and Continuity are not one and the same.

Many of the funniest moments come from RPG sessions.

Why be against "probably?" It's just a word.