Anyone know any good countries to move to?

OT: anything goes!

Moderator: Edi

mr friendly guy
The Doctor
Location: In a 1960s police telephone box somewhere in Australia

Re: Anyone know any good countries to move to?

Post by mr friendly guy »

Hmm. If your English is decent, you might be able to travel overseas teaching English to get some "world experience." For example another poster here teaches in South Korea, and Lusankanya another of our posters taught English in China (although she could speak Mandarin as well, but that's not necessary to teach English there). The pay is most probably not good, but the cost of living is lower as well.

You can thus have something to buff up your CV with when you finally do decide to settle in the country of your choice. I will echo Thanas and say you might want to look into other skill sets as well.

Edit - you might even pick up a little of another language, which can't hurt future employment prospects.
Never apologise for being a geek, because they won't apologise to you for being an arsehole. John Barrowman - 22 June 2014 Perth Supernova.

Countries I have been to - 14.
Australia, Canada, China, Colombia, Denmark, Ecuador, Finland, Germany, Malaysia, Netherlands, Norway, Singapore, Sweden, USA.
Always on the lookout for more nice places to visit.
Lagmonster
Master Control Program
Master Control Program

Post by Lagmonster »

If you live in America, but hate where you live in America, you could move to another part of America. It's a big fucking country, and you'll find that it varies wildly from region to region in terms of local politics, religious tolerance, average level of education, available employment, standard of living, racial demographics, legality of weed/gay marriage, etc..

You can't, or shouldn't, just think that you can move to any other country and they'll love you more. NO other country wants you under any circumstances unless you have something significant to offer, like job skills so sought-after that nobody who's already IN that country is available to/wants to do that particular job.
Oskuro
Sith Devotee

Post by Oskuro »

Something I do when considering a country to go to (which I've been doing a lot recently) is navigate to their immigration site (the ones I've checked have those) and actually do the test that tells you if they will even consider letting you into the country.

At the very least you'll get to see what they expect from you.

Of course, even if they'd consider your application, wait times can be measured in years.
unsigned
Gaidin
Sith Devotee

Post by Gaidin »

Lord Falcon wrote:Well, then I guess it's like he said, I need to train up my skills more and get my GED (I am currently saving up to take the test).

I guess this discussion is moot till then, but if anyone wants to continue giving me advice, that's ok.
The other idea to consider if you still want to get a degree at some point, is the idea of foreign exchange in a country that may interest you. It's not like you won't come back if you get into the program. But also, as Lagmonster says, the US in and of itself is a huge place anyway.
Ralin
Sith Marauder

Post by Ralin »

mr friendly guy wrote:Hmm. If your English is decent, you might be able to travel overseas teaching English to get some "world experience." For example another poster here teaches in South Korea, and Lusankanya another of our posters taught English in China (although she could speak Mandarin as well, but that's not necessary to teach English there). The pay is most probably not good, but the cost of living is lower as well.

You can thus have something to buff up your CV with when you finally do decide to settle in the country of your choice. I will echo Thanas and say you might want to look into other skill sets as well.

Edit - you might even pick up a little of another language, which can't hurt future employment prospects.

That generally requires a college degree. Granted quite a few English teachers in China fake them, but I keep hearing the government is cracking down on that sort of thing.

Plus I sort of doubt he has seed money handy for plane tickets, TEFL certification, living off of until he starts getting paid, etc.
Havok
Miscreant

Post by Havok »

Texas is nice.
It's 106 miles to Chicago, we got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark... and we're wearing sunglasses.
Hit it.
Blank Yellow (NSFW)
"Mostly Harmless Nutcase"
Flagg
CUNTS FOR EYES!
Location: Hell. In The Room Right Next to Reagan. He's Fucking Bonzo. No, wait... Bonzo's fucking HIM.

Post by Flagg »

Havok wrote:Texas is nice.
I'm from Texas, do I seem nice to you? :P :lol:
We pissing our pants yet?
-Negan

You got your shittin' pants on? Because you’re about to
Shit. Your. Pants!
-Negan

He who can,
does; he who cannot, teaches.
-George Bernard Shaw
Ralin
Sith Marauder

Post by Ralin »

Oh hey, I hear that the French Foreign Legion is actually still a thing!
Gaidin
Sith Devotee

Post by Gaidin »

Flagg wrote:
All things being equal, you're not Texas. You're just a person from Texas.
General Zod
Never Shuts Up

Post by General Zod »

Ralin wrote:Oh hey, I hear that the French Foreign Legion is actually still a thing!
I understand they've tried to clean up their image over the last few decades and they won't just accept whatever social rejects come their way anymore.
"It's you Americans. There's something about nipples you hate. If this were Germany, we'd be romping around naked on the stage here."
Elheru Aran
Emperor's Hand

Post by Elheru Aran »

General Zod wrote:
Ralin wrote:Oh hey, I hear that the French Foreign Legion is actually still a thing!
I understand they've tried to clean up their image over the last few decades and they won't just accept whatever social rejects come their way anymore.
You have to speak or learn French very quickly with them, anyway. This might be an issue...
It's a strange world. Let's keep it that way.
Flagg
CUNTS FOR EYES!
Location: Hell. In The Room Right Next to Reagan. He's Fucking Bonzo. No, wait... Bonzo's fucking HIM.

Post by Flagg »

Gaidin wrote:
Flagg wrote:
All things being equal, you're not Texas. You're just a person from Texas.
I used to be the SIZE of Texas. BAZING! I'm here all night folks, try the salmon!
-Negan

Shit. Your. Pants!
-Negan

He who can,
-George Bernard Shaw
Ralin
Sith Marauder

Post by Ralin »

Elheru Aran wrote:
General Zod wrote:
You have to speak or learn French very quickly with them, anyway. This might be an issue...
Yeah, but from what I understand that mostly just means that they do a background check to see if you're wanted for or convicted of anything. And supposedly plenty of people learn French on the job there.
Broomstick
Emperor's Hand

Post by Broomstick »

Elheru Aran wrote:You have to speak or learn French very quickly with them, anyway. This might be an issue...
Don't they do a total immersion technique for that? Neurologically normal adults will gain functional language ability fairly quickly under such circumstances. It won't sound pretty when he tries to speak it, but he'll be able to follow orders.

OK, he's some real, serious, actual advice: Get your GED, then get your ass into college. Or a trade school. Acquire some sort of actual job skill beyond being a human forklift/repositioning device.
A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. Leonard Nimoy.

Now I did a job. I got nothing but trouble since I did it, not to mention more than a few unkind words as regard to my character so let me make this abundantly clear. I do the job. And then I get paid.- Malcolm Reynolds, Captain of Serenity, which sums up my feelings regarding the lawsuit discussed here.

If a free society cannot help the many who are poor, it cannot save the few who are rich. - John F. Kennedy

Sam Vimes Theory of Economic Injustice
RogueIce
_______

Post by RogueIce »

Wicked Pilot wrote:Join the military and you might get some oversees time.
If you do this, pick one of the specialties listed here and maybe the Aussies will take you when you're done.
"How can I wait unknowing?
This is the price of war,
We rise with noble intentions,
And we risk all that is pure..." - Angela & Jeff van Dyck, Forever (Rome: Total War)

"On and on, through the years,
The war continues on..." - Angela & Jeff van Dyck, We Are All One (Medieval 2: Total War)
"Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the judgment that something else is more important than fear." - Ambrose Redmoon
"You either die a hero, or you live long enough to see yourself become the villain." - Harvey Dent, The Dark Knight
aerius
Charismatic Cult Leader

Post by aerius »

Lord Falcon wrote:Are you being serious? Are those nice countries?
Yes. They're very nice countries, all things considered, for what they are.
Would Canada be better? Or some European nation?
I hear the Territory of Nunavut is pretty nice.
As for Europe, I've heard good things about Bulgaria and Albania.
aerius: I'll vote for you if you sleep with me. :)
Lusankya: Deal!
Say, do you want it to be a threesome with your wife? Or a foursome with your wife and sister-in-law? I'm up for either. :P
Block
Jedi Council Member

Post by Block »

aerius wrote:
Lord Falcon wrote:Are you being serious? Are those nice countries?
Yes. They're very nice countries, all things considered, for what they are.
Would Canada be better? Or some European nation?
I hear the Territory of Nunavut is pretty nice.
As for Europe, I've heard good things about Bulgaria and Albania.
Are you ever not a horrible, shitty barely human being? Seriously, every post you make has the purpose of making yourself seem better than anyone else and it's pathetic.
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

General Zod wrote:
They might not be accepting criminals and war criminals, but Lord Falcon doesn't sound like either of those. Assuming he's in acceptable physical condition and doesn't have any psychological issues, an army would probably be willing to recruit him. They'd just need to hammer out his tendency to snivel and panic, and that sounds like a problem drill sergeants are well equipped to solve.

[/me sics an R. Lee Ermey character on Lord Falcon, watches fireworks]

On the other hand, it would be a better choice to join the US Army (assuming he's an American) than the French Foreign Legion. The US military trains its people more in the use of technology, and its training regimen is, so far as I know, a bit less psychologically bruising. I cannot see Falcon seeking out an option that is more psychologically bruising.
This space dedicated to Vasily Arkhipov
Ziggy Stardust
Sith Devotee

Post by Ziggy Stardust »

ray245 wrote:Lord Falcon's profile states that he is 26.
Seriously? He acts like he's 14.
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

Simon_Jester wrote:
General Zod wrote:
They might not be accepting criminals and war criminals, but Lord Falcon doesn't sound like either of those. Assuming he's in acceptable physical condition and doesn't have any psychological issues, an army would probably be willing to recruit him. They'd just need to hammer out his tendency to snivel and panic, and that sounds like a problem drill sergeants are well equipped to solve.

[/me sics an R. Lee Ermey character on Lord Falcon, watches fireworks]

On the other hand, it would be a better choice to join the US Army (assuming he's an American) than the French Foreign Legion. The US military trains its people more in the use of technology, and its training regimen is, so far as I know, a bit less psychologically bruising. I cannot see Falcon seeking out an option that is more psychologically bruising.
And there is also a good chance you end up in rear duty and not in a postcolonial shithole where you do France's dirty work before getting killed somewhere nobody cares about.
Whoever says "education does not matter" can try ignorance
------------
A decision must be made in the life of every nation at the very moment when the grasp of the enemy is at its throat. Then, it seems that the only way to survive is to use the means of the enemy, to rest survival upon what is expedient, to look the other way. Well, the answer to that is 'survival as what'? A country isn't a rock. It's not an extension of one's self. It's what it stands for. It's what it stands for when standing for something is the most difficult! - Chief Judge Haywood
------------
My LPs
Elheru Aran
Emperor's Hand

Post by Elheru Aran »

Thanas wrote:And there is also a good chance you end up in rear duty and not in a postcolonial shithole where you do France's dirty work before getting killed somewhere nobody cares about.
Well, at least until the US gets involved in another dust-up. We are still in Afghanistan. As long as we stay Democratic though, I'd give it about a decade or so... hopefully... provided Iran or the Norks or someone (and I include the US in that sweeping generalization) don't do anything stupid...
Ziggy Stardust wrote:
He says 'working to get my GED", so he's not in high school. I suspect a drop-out due to personal issues or other circumstances, or possibly homeschooled. Which could explain a lot, actually...
It's a strange world. Let's keep it that way.
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

Elheru Aran wrote:
Thanas wrote:And there is also a good chance you end up in rear duty and not in a postcolonial shithole where you do France's dirty work before getting killed somewhere nobody cares about.
Well, at least until the US gets involved in another dust-up. We are still in Afghanistan. As long as we stay Democratic though, I'd give it about a decade or so... hopefully... provided Iran or the Norks or someone (and I include the US in that sweeping generalization) don't do anything stupid...
Right but even there people cared about you when you died. The French foreign legion? Nobody cares about them.
Whoever says "education does not matter" can try ignorance
------------
A decision must be made in the life of every nation at the very moment when the grasp of the enemy is at its throat. Then, it seems that the only way to survive is to use the means of the enemy, to rest survival upon what is expedient, to look the other way. Well, the answer to that is 'survival as what'? A country isn't a rock. It's not an extension of one's self. It's what it stands for. It's what it stands for when standing for something is the most difficult! - Chief Judge Haywood
------------
My LPs
Flagg
CUNTS FOR EYES!

Post by Flagg »

Ziggy Stardust wrote:
Yeah, I'm regretting opening up about myself in this thread now because it reeks of troll to me.
-Negan

Shit. Your. Pants!
-Negan

He who can,
-George Bernard Shaw
Korto
Jedi Master

Post by Korto »

Lord Falcon wrote:I only speak English.

I'm actually still in school, working to get my GED. I have also worked in factories, unloading stuff, etc.
Kid, if you're serious, why don't you get yourself a working visa and try a bit of backpacking? Apparently you're still in the age-bracket, so you can travel around a different country for a while, get some perspective on your own country, support yourself (I suggest the harvest trail, I get the impression they love backpackers - they're nomadic), and if you manage that for a year, Flagg might lay off you.
“I am the King of Rome, and above grammar”
Sigismund, Holy Roman Emperor
General Zod
Never Shuts Up

Post by General Zod »

This whole thing reminds me of a Cracked article. Yeah yeah, but it has some good points.

http://www.cracked.com/article_19363_6- ... k-out.html
"It's you Americans. There's something about nipples you hate. If this were Germany, we'd be romping around naked on the stage here."