Quote of the Week suggestions and feedback

OT: anything goes!

Moderator: Edi

Malagar
Youngling

Re: Quote of the Week suggestions and feedback

Post by Malagar »

"What you don't know has power over you; knowing it brings it under your control, and makes it subject to your choice. Ignorance makes real choice impossible." Abraham Maslow
General Mung Beans
Jedi Knight
Location: Orange Prefecture, California Sector, America Quadrant, Terra

Post by General Mung Beans »

"There are no desperate situations, only desperate people."-Heinz Guderian, German general (1888-1954)
El Moose Monstero: That would be the winning song at Eurovision. I still say the Moldovans were more fun. And that one about the Apricot Tree.
That said...it is growing on me.
Thanas: It is one of those songs that kinda get stuck in your head so if you hear it several times, you actually grow to like it.
General Zod: It's the musical version of Stockholm syndrome.
Panzersharkcat
Jedi Council Member

Post by Panzersharkcat »

"American politics features a particularly boorish animal called a 'culture warrior,' who imagines that he is working to save Christendom from secularism, Islam, and sexual deviancy, but who, in his own life, doesn't know how to use a fork properly, doesn't chew with his mouth closed, and cannot be personally charming in social settings.

How does this happen? Like Keynesian economists who believe the whole has nothing to do with the parts, the culture warriors imagine that they can steer the culture while being personally piggish, pathetic, and crude -- as if the court of taste and manners will never judge them personally but they are entitled to judge, and to restore and save, the whole of society." - Jeffrey Tucker

"The absolute ruler may be a Nero, but he is sometimes Titus or Marcus Aurelius. The people is often Nero, and never Marcus Aurelius." - Antoine de Rivarol
"I'm just reading through your formspring here, and your responses to many questions seem to indicate that you are ready and willing to sacrifice realism/believability for the sake of (sometimes) marginal increases in gameplay quality. Why is this?"
"Because until I see gamers sincerely demanding that if they get winged in the gut with a bullet that they spend the next three hours bleeding out on the ground before permanently dying, they probably are too." - J.E. Sawyer
Ahriman238
Sith Marauder

Post by Ahriman238 »

"We did these things, and they were glorious. We changed the world... and then we fucked up the endgame."- Rep. Wilson on funding the Mujhadeen resistance to the Russian invasion.

"Wisdom is not additive; it's maximum is that of the wisest man in a given group."- Heinlein

"A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects."- Heinlein

"Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do."- Asimov

"[Creationists] make it sound as though a "theory" is something you dreamt up after being drunk all night."- Asimov

"What is the use of living, if it be not to strive for noble causes and to make this muddled world a better place for those who will live in it after we are gone?"- Churchill

"I never submitted the whole system of my opinions to the creed of any party of men whatever in religion, in philosophy, in politics, or in anything else where I was capable of thinking for myself. Such an addiction is the last degradation of a free and moral agent. If I could not go to heaven but with a party, I would not go there at all."- Jefferson

"Bigotry is the disease of ignorance, of morbid minds; enthusiasm of the free and buoyant. Education & free discussion are the antidotes of both."- Jefferson
"Any plan which requires the direct intervention of any deity to work can be assumed to be a very poor one."- Newbiespud
Dalton
For Those About to Rock We Salute You
For Those About to Rock We Salute You

Post by Dalton »

"Once you're forced to hypothesize whole new technologies to keep your conspiracy possible, you've stepped over into the realm of magic. It demands a deep and abiding faith in things you can never know." - S G Collins, director, "Moon Hoax Not"
To Absent Friends
Dalton | Admin Smash | Knight of the Order of SDN

"y = mx + bro" - Surlethe
"You try THAT shit again, kid, and I will mod you. I will
mod you so hard, you'll wish I were Dalton." - Lagmonster

May the way of the Hero lead to the Triforce.
FaxModem1
Emperor's Hand

Post by FaxModem1 »

"I don't think our troops ought to be used for what's called nation-building," George W. Bush, second presidential debate, 2000
Zaune
Emperor's Hand

Post by Zaune »

It's a bit long, but:

"Well-run libraries are filled with people because what a good library offers cannot be easily found elsewhere: an indoor public space in which you do not have to buy anything in order to stay. In the modern state there are very few sites where this is possible. The only others that come readily to my mind require belief in an omnipotent creator as a condition for membership. It would seem the most obvious thing in the world to say that the reason why the market is not an efficient solution to libraries is because the market has no use for a library. But it seems we need, right now, to keep re-stating the obvious. There aren’t many institutions left that fit so precisely Keynes’ definition of things that no one else but the state is willing to take on. Nor can the experience of library life be recreated online. It’s not just a matter of free books. A library is a different kind of social reality (of the three dimensional kind), which by its very existence teaches a system of values beyond the fiscal."

Zadie Smith, in the New York Review of Books.
There are hardly any excesses of the most crazed psychopath that cannot easily be duplicated by a normal kindly family man who just comes in to work every day and has a job to do.
-- (Terry Pratchett, Small Gods)

Replace "ginger" with "n*gger," and suddenly it become a lot less funny, doesn't it?
-- fgalkin

Like my writing? Tip me on Patreon

I Have A Blog
Haruko
Jedi Master

Post by Haruko »

Just read this on a book about modern German history:
The people have lost the confidence of the government. The government has decided to dissolve the people, and to appoint another one.
— Bertolt Brecht, German poet, in response to a merciless crackdown by the Soviets against pro-democracy protesters in East Germany, 1953.
If The Infinity Program were not a forum, it would be a pie-in-the-sky project.
Faith is both the prison and the open hand.”— Vienna Teng, "Augustine."
Spekio
Jedi Knight

Post by Spekio »

"You can't sleep with all the women int he world, but one must make the effort." - Jorge Amado, brazilian writer.

“I considered the case and realized that if something can exist in opinion without existing in reality, or exist in reality without existing in opinion, the conclusion is that of the two parallel lives, only opinion is necessary – not reality, which is only a secondary consideration.”
― Machado de Assis
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

"The purpose of work should be the common good" - Alfred Krupp
Whoever says "education does not matter" can try ignorance
------------
A decision must be made in the life of every nation at the very moment when the grasp of the enemy is at its throat. Then, it seems that the only way to survive is to use the means of the enemy, to rest survival upon what is expedient, to look the other way. Well, the answer to that is 'survival as what'? A country isn't a rock. It's not an extension of one's self. It's what it stands for. It's what it stands for when standing for something is the most difficult! - Chief Judge Haywood
------------
My LPs
Rogue 9
Scrapping TIEs since 1997

Post by Rogue 9 »

*Kennedy
It's Rogue, not Rouge!

HAB | KotL | VRWC/ELC/CDA | TRotR | The Anti-Confederate | Sluggite | Gamer | Blogger | Staff Reporter | Student | Musician
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

He stole that one unless he is a time traveller who got back in time 60 years before he was born.

Another suggestion:
You ask what is the proper limit to a person's wealth? First, having what is essential, and second, having what is enough.
-Seneca
------------
A decision must be made in the life of every nation at the very moment when the grasp of the enemy is at its throat. Then, it seems that the only way to survive is to use the means of the enemy, to rest survival upon what is expedient, to look the other way. Well, the answer to that is 'survival as what'? A country isn't a rock. It's not an extension of one's self. It's what it stands for. It's what it stands for when standing for something is the most difficult! - Chief Judge Haywood
------------
My LPs
Omeganian
Jedi Knight

Post by Omeganian »

In a Society in which there is no law, and in theory no compulsion, the only arbiter of behaviour is public opinion. But public opinion, because of the tremendous urge to conformity in gregarious animals, is less tolerant than any system of law. (George Orwell)
Q: How are children made in the TNG era Federation?

A: With power couplings. To explain, you shut down the power to the lights, and then, in the darkness, you have the usual TOS era coupling.
Dominus Atheos
Sith Marauder

Post by Dominus Atheos »

Call me stupid, but I don't understand the current quote. Is it saying forgiveness is good or bad? On the one hand, hope is ussually supposed to be good; on the other hand, you can't change the past so there's no point in trying.
The Grim Squeaker
Emperor's Hand

Post by The Grim Squeaker »

"Whatever you are, be a Good one".

(Abraham Lincoln I believe)
Photography
Genius is always allowed some leeway, once the hammer has been pried from its hands and the blood has been cleaned up.
To improve is to change; to be perfect is to change often.
Elaro
Padawan Learner

Post by Elaro »

“Never give in--never, never, never, never, in nothing great or small, large or petty, never give in except to convictions of honor and good sense. Never yield to force; never yield to the apparently overwhelming might of the enemy.”
― Winston Churchill
"The surest sign that the world was not created by an omnipotent Being who loves us is that the Earth is not an infinite plane and it does not rain meat."

"Lo, how free the madman is! He can observe beyond mere reality, and cogitates untroubled by the bounds of relevance."
StarSword
Jedi Knight

Post by StarSword »

"Reality is often stranger than fiction, because fiction has to be believable." -- Mark Twain

"Passion has overthrown tyrants and freed prisoners and slaves. Passion has brought justice where there was savagery. Passion has created freedom where there was nothing but fear. Passion has helped souls rise from the ashes of their horrible lives and build something better, something stronger, more beautiful." -- Harry Dresden, White Night

"Many that live deserve death, and some that die deserve life. Can you give it to them, Frodo? Then do not be too eager to deal out death in judgement." -- Gandalf, The Fellowship of the Ring

"Imagine what medieval peasants would say if you could explain to them the stuff that people waste most of their time worrying about these days." -- David Morgan-Mar

"We've heard that a million monkeys at a million keyboards could produce the complete works of Shakespeare; now, thanks to the Internet, we know this is not true." —Robert Wilensky, University of California
Star Carrier by Ian Douglas: Analysis and Talkback

The Vortex Empire: I think the real question is obviously how a supervolcano eruption wiping out vast swathes of the country would affect the 2016 election.
Borgholio: The GOP would blame Obama and use the subsequent nuclear winter to debunk global warming.
StarSword
Jedi Knight

Post by StarSword »

"I was never crazy about Hitler. If you stand on a soapbox and trade rhetoric with a dictator you never win. That's what they do so well: they seduce people. But if you ridicule them, bring them down with laughter, they can't win. You show how crazy they are." -- Mel Brooks
Star Carrier by Ian Douglas: Analysis and Talkback

The Vortex Empire: I think the real question is obviously how a supervolcano eruption wiping out vast swathes of the country would affect the 2016 election.
Borgholio: The GOP would blame Obama and use the subsequent nuclear winter to debunk global warming.
Rogue 9
Scrapping TIEs since 1997

Post by Rogue 9 »

That looks familiar. Oh wait. :wink:
Rogue 9 wrote:"We occasionally stumble over the truth but most of us pick ourselves up and hurry off as if nothing had happened." - Sir Winston Churchill
It's Rogue, not Rouge!

HAB | KotL | VRWC/ELC/CDA | TRotR | The Anti-Confederate | Sluggite | Gamer | Blogger | Staff Reporter | Student | Musician
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

"If the real world isn't kind to new comers, than it's because of the people in it have chosen to be unkind. You and your future coworkers have the ability to change that. Over half the world's population is under 30 years old. The shear number of you creates a gigantic opportunity to change the work place as we know it. Shake it up. Be the ones to throw opens the shutters and let a little fresh air in. And while you're at it, make the work place a more civil place to be. You have the power to influence change in so many ways. Make kindness a priority, not a blurred line." - Peyton Manning, 2014
------------
------------
My LPs
Dominus Atheos
Sith Marauder

Post by Dominus Atheos »

Did someone forget to put the year of the current authors death? According to this webpage its 1989.

http://www.quotationspage.com/quotes/Sir_Barnett_Cocks/
Chardok
GET THE FUCK OFF MY OBSTACLE!

Post by Chardok »

When in doubt, go for the dick joke.

- Robin Williams 1951-2014
Highlord Laan
Jedi Master
Location: Christo-fundie Theofascist Dominion of Nebraskistan

Post by Highlord Laan »

"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory."

Leonard Nimoy 1931-2015
Never underestimate the ingenuity and cruelty of the Irish.
U.P. Cinnabar
Sith Marauder

Post by U.P. Cinnabar »

"Politics is not like the nursery. In politics, obedience and support are the same."
—Hannah Arendt, Judgement At Nuremberg
"But, again, truth be told, if you're looking for the guilty, you need only look into a mirror."
—V, V For Vendetta
"You do not wish to know anything! You wish only to speak. That which you know, you ignore, because it is inconvenient. And that which you do not know, you invent."
—DeLenn, "The Deconstruction Of Falling Stars," Babylon 5
"Beware the Beast, Man, for he is the Devil's pawn. Alone amongst God's primates, he kills for sport, for lust, for greed. Yea, he will murder his brother to possess his brother's land. Let him not breed in great numbers, for he will make a desert of his home and yours. Shun him, drive him back into his jungle lair, for he is the harbinger of Death.."
—29th Scroll, 6th Verse of Ape Law
"Indelible in the hippocampus is the laughter. The uproarious laughter between the two, and their having fun at my expense.”
---Doctor Christine Blasey-Ford
U.P. Cinnabar
Sith Marauder

Post by U.P. Cinnabar »

"War, children, is just a shot away."
—The Rolling Stones, "Gimme Shelter"
"When you send a man out with a gun, you create a policymaker. When his ass is on the line, he will do whatever he needs to do."
David Drake, Afterword to Counting the Cost
"Beware the Beast, Man, for he is the Devil's pawn. Alone amongst God's primates, he kills for sport, for lust, for greed. Yea, he will murder his brother to possess his brother's land. Let him not breed in great numbers, for he will make a desert of his home and yours. Shun him, drive him back into his jungle lair, for he is the harbinger of Death.."
—29th Scroll, 6th Verse of Ape Law
"Indelible in the hippocampus is the laughter. The uproarious laughter between the two, and their having fun at my expense.”
---Doctor Christine Blasey-Ford