Star Wars: Rebels

PSW: discuss Star Wars without "versus" arguments.

Moderator: Vympel

Ted C
Sith Marauder

Star Wars: Rebels

Post by Ted C »

Apparently the successor to Clone Wars.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/life/tv/2 ... s/2972455/

Anyone hear anything further about this development?
"This is supposed to be a happy occasion... Let's not bicker and argue about who killed who."
-- The King of Swamp Castle, Monty Python and the Holy Grail

"Nothing of consequence happened today. " -- Diary of King George III, July 4, 1776

"This is not bad; this is a conspiracy to remove happiness from existence. It seeks to wrap its hedgehog hand around the still beating heart of the personification of good and squeeze until it is stilled."
-- Chuck Sonnenburg on Voyager's "Elogium"
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Re: Star Wars: Rebels

Post by The Romulan Republic »

There was a thread about this show a while ago.

http://bbs.stardestroyer.net/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=158598

I'm looking forward to it. Supposedly Mark Hamill will be in it.

The article you linked to has some information I hadn't heard before. The villain sounds generic and the plot sounds dumb, but I'll give it the benefit of the doubt.

Glad to hear some more of The Clone Wars will be released.
Arawn Fenn
Youngling

Post by Arawn Fenn »

The Romulan Republic wrote:Glad to hear some more of The Clone Wars will be released.
The Clone Wars is like Jason Voorhees. Even after you kill it, it comes back to do more damage. :banghead:
RogueIce
_______

Post by RogueIce »

That TCW Yoda story sounds new, is it? All I remember them announcing earlier was that Order 66 arc and...something else but I don't think it focused on Yoda. If so that's pretty cool new that they're managing to squeak out new eps/arcs.

As for the plot of Rebels, that sounds like the intro, of course. If it follows TCW's pattern sure we'll have plenty of stories following the Ghost but also quite a few that branch out and tell the stories of completely other characters.

I'm less enthused with the baddie because goddamnit lightsabers and I was hoping for more of the 'mundanes' to shine in this series, not Jedi. Their time is over, this is the OT. But hopefully it won't be a lightsaber fest and they'll use their main baddie sparingly and only rarely encounter fugitive Jedi, if ever.

I have seen some other concept art that looks like it could be Imperial Army here. They do have vaguely ST-ish masks, but the rest of the uniform and armor looks like the Imperial Army. And I think that'll be awesome to see, because honestly outside of Timothy Zahn and the Empire/Rebellion comics (and RPG sources), I don't think the EU has ever really used them or even made the distinction, just went with All Stormtroopers All The Time. So seeing the Army proper show up in T-canon will be sweet.
"How can I wait unknowing?
This is the price of war,
We rise with noble intentions,
And we risk all that is pure..." - Angela & Jeff van Dyck, Forever (Rome: Total War)

"On and on, through the years,
The war continues on..." - Angela & Jeff van Dyck, We Are All One (Medieval 2: Total War)
"Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the judgment that something else is more important than fear." - Ambrose Redmoon
"You either die a hero, or you live long enough to see yourself become the villain." - Harvey Dent, The Dark Knight
biostem
Jedi Master

Post by biostem »

I second the notion that I'd prefer it if this series was lighter on the force and more about "normies" making their way through this period of turmoil.

It would be interesting if they address, for instance, why Vader has what appear to be metallic vertebrae in one scene when he is shocked by the Emperor in RotJ. It'd also be cool if they touched on the construction of the 1st Death Star as well...
Boeing 757
Padawan Learner
Location: Εν ενί γαλαξία μένω, ον συ ου δύνασαι ευρείν χωρίς διαστημικού οχήματος.

Post by Boeing 757 »

Does this mean that the Force Unleashed games will become non-canon? I sure hope that it does.
Omnia praesumuntur legitime facta donec probetur in contrarium.

Kritisches Denken schützt vor Illusionen.

Παν μέτρον άριστον τῷ κρατίστῳ.
RogueIce
_______

Post by RogueIce »

http://www.rebelscum.com/story/front/NY ... 154753.asp

Thanks to Vympel from over on SB. I'll just reiterate my comments from there:

It seems the "Imperial Army" looking dudes are going to be walker pilots instead. That's a shame, I was hoping for some Imperial soldiers working alongside the elite Stormtroopers. :(
•The Lothal system is the centerpiece of the Rebels storyline.
Hopefully they'll expand the story as the series continues.
•The question "how do you get into a TIE Fighter?" will be officially answered. It's from the top, though there was some debate about the intent being from the back
Well it looks like Stackpole will be vindicated after all. :razz:
And we risk all that is pure..." - Angela & Jeff van Dyck, Forever (Rome: Total War)

The war continues on..." - Angela & Jeff van Dyck, We Are All One (Medieval 2: Total War)
"Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the judgment that something else is more important than fear." - Ambrose Redmoon
"You either die a hero, or you live long enough to see yourself become the villain." - Harvey Dent, The Dark Knight
Knife
Emperor's Hand

Post by Knife »

The original tie fighter toy back in late 1970's and 80's always labeled the top as the ingress/egress hatch too. Probably where he got it from.

I hope Disney isn't like Lucas and lets the new show on Netflix or Hulu, I stopped watching TCW cause I'm not paying Itunes for each episode.
They say, "the tree of liberty must be watered with the blood of tyrants and patriots." I suppose it never occurred to them that they are the tyrants, not the patriots. Those weapons are not being used to fight some kind of tyranny; they are bringing them to an event where people are getting together to talk. -Mike Wong

But as far as board culture in general, I do think that young male overaggression is a contributing factor to the general atmosphere of hostility. It's not SOS and the Mess throwing hand grenades all over the forum- Red
aussiemuscle308
Padawan Learner

Post by aussiemuscle308 »

RogueIce wrote:•The question "how do you get into a TIE Fighter?" will be officially answered. It's from the top, though there was some debate about the intent being from the back
The AMT tie interceptor model kit had the rear panel with a clear window which opened like a door. that might be where the rear door speculation comes from.

http://www.starwars-models-images.com/i ... r_Back.jpg
========================================
If you believe in Telekinesis, raise my hand.
NecronLord
Harbinger of Doom
Harbinger of Doom

Post by NecronLord »

Oh man, I had (probably still have up in the loft) this toy as a kid. Talk about a blast from the past.
Superior Moderator - BotB - HAB [Drill Instructor]-Writer- Stardestroyer.net's resident Star-God.
"We believe in the systematic understanding of the physical world through observation and experimentation, argument and debate and most of all freedom of will." ~ Stargate: The Ark of Truth
Vehrec
Jedi Council Member

Post by Vehrec »

Time for a panorama of the Shadow of the Empire over Lothal. This image was uploaded on Star Wars' offical Tumblr which just started today, so take a good look-but I have to say, I love this style.
ImageCommander of the MFS Darwinian Selection Method (sexual)
Lagmonster
Master Control Program
Master Control Program

Post by Lagmonster »

I love this recruiting poster they tweeted today. Just perfect.
applejack
Padawan Learner

Post by applejack »

A couple of new teaser trailers for the show.

Dear Lord, the gods have been good to me. As an offering, I present these milk and cookies. If you wish me to eat them instead, please give me no sign whatsoever *pauses* Thy will be done *munch munch munch*. - Homer Simpson
Borgholio
Sith Acolyte

Post by Borgholio »

Looks...ok to start with. I'll give it a chance.
You will be assimilated...bunghole!
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

The animation looks crappier than The Clone Wars. Not a great first impression.
biostem
Jedi Master

Post by biostem »

The Romulan Republic wrote:The animation looks crappier than The Clone Wars. Not a great first impression.
I concur... can we get a series that *doesn't* look like its characters were whittled out of soap/plastic? A 3D version of the traditionally animated Clone Wars would be nice. :)
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

I liked the animation in The Clone Wars when it came to landscapes and vehicles. It was the animation of some of the characters that I didn't like.

But this looked worse across the board.
Havok
Miscreant

Post by Havok »

Yeah, looks horrible. It's like comic books, if the art sucks it distracts from the story, makes you not want to keep looking at it. Like Liefeld drawing Claremont. Ugh.
It's 106 miles to Chicago, we got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark... and we're wearing sunglasses.
Hit it.
Blank Yellow (NSFW)
"Mostly Harmless Nutcase"
Crazedwraith
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crazedwraith »

Yay! There's a farmboy in it! And the Millenium Falcon! a new and exciting freighter design!

Yeah, Need to see a little more before I even think about beginning to start getting excited.
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

The characters seem generic and seem to exist more to check off boxes like "must have rebellious character". The art seems like a low cost version of the clone wars (which looked pretty low cost already). I don't like the look of that.
Whoever says "education does not matter" can try ignorance
------------
A decision must be made in the life of every nation at the very moment when the grasp of the enemy is at its throat. Then, it seems that the only way to survive is to use the means of the enemy, to rest survival upon what is expedient, to look the other way. Well, the answer to that is 'survival as what'? A country isn't a rock. It's not an extension of one's self. It's what it stands for. It's what it stands for when standing for something is the most difficult! - Chief Judge Haywood
------------
My LPs
Flagg
CUNTS FOR EYES!
Location: Hell. In The Room Right Next to Reagan. He's Fucking Bonzo. No, wait... Bonzo's fucking HIM.

Post by Flagg »

As long as the design is cohesive I could care less. Characters, themes, and plot matter more to me.
We pissing our pants yet?
-Negan

You got your shittin' pants on? Because you’re about to
Shit. Your. Pants!
-Negan

He who can,
does; he who cannot, teaches.
-George Bernard Shaw
RogueIce
_______

Post by RogueIce »

I like the art well enough, but I'm going to wait until episodes start airing before I really judge it. Teasers or not, they may still be tweaking and adding things until whatever point they send out the final product is.

biostem
Jedi Master

Post by biostem »

If you click on some of the additional character-specific videos shown at the end of the videos applejack posted, some of them look pretty interesting. I think it's just the male human designs that look bad, to me. I'm a bit more optimistic than I was before.

Hera, the pilot:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RzopG0SGJYI

Sabine, the explosives expert:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-_0A2-YDexw

Chopper, the Astromech:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ulIPyDqppfM
Irbis
Jedi Council Member

Post by Irbis »

New Trailer:

Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

Not that great.
Whoever says "education does not matter" can try ignorance
------------
A decision must be made in the life of every nation at the very moment when the grasp of the enemy is at its throat. Then, it seems that the only way to survive is to use the means of the enemy, to rest survival upon what is expedient, to look the other way. Well, the answer to that is 'survival as what'? A country isn't a rock. It's not an extension of one's self. It's what it stands for. It's what it stands for when standing for something is the most difficult! - Chief Judge Haywood
------------
My LPs