Korra book 2- Spirits- trailer and discuss

FAN: Discuss various fictional worlds that don't qualify for SF.

Moderator: Steve

Ahriman238
Sith Marauder

Korra book 2- Spirits- trailer and discuss

Post by Ahriman238 »

New trailer.

And a lot revealed. Serious about the spoilers here.
Spoiler
It's been said that the theme for this new season will be family. It will explore Korra's relationship with her parents, and how they feel about their daughter being the Avatar, and her relationship to Aang's children, who know she's the reincarnation of their father. That's great, besides Gyatso and maybe Jeong Jeong, Aang never really dealt with anyone who knew Roku and might have been confused aobut how much he's his own person, and how much their old friend.

We also see that Korra has an uncle, the chief of the Northern Water Tribe, whose design and actions in the trailer strike me as fairly villainous. She also has cousins, twin girls, who regard her as a hick for being Southern Water Tribe.

The other major thing is exploring the world, only half the episodes will take place in Republic City, and the Spirit World. It looks in the trailer like she goes there with Tenzin's older daughter and they have some misadventures. The primary antagonist will be "the Dark Spirit" voiced by Grey DeLisle (previously the voice of Azula.)

Other bits and bobs, we have an absurdly wealthy inventor/entrepeneur character modeled on Howard Hughes. One scene shown at an earlier con and not in this trailer is Korra in some kind of foot race with a younger girl (one of her cousins, I think) falling behind, then dropping into the Avatar State and riding Aang's air scooter to easy victory. Followed by a short shot of Tenzin yelling at her about not using the Avatar State for every little thing. So I guess she got that under control a lot faster and easier than Aang.
Mostly, I'm just excited to see where this goes. Korra's had a pretty easy time of the practical side of bending, but hasn't really internalized any of the spiritual parts or philosophy behind it. So seeing that, and the "bridge to the spirit world" portion of an Avatar's duties fleshed out promises to be a blast.

Nickelodeon has contracted for 3 more seasons of Korra, and there is apprently discussion of making it their flag show instead of Spongebob.
"Any plan which requires the direct intervention of any deity to work can be assumed to be a very poor one."- Newbiespud
JME2
Emperor's Hand

Re: Korra book 2- Spirits- trailer and discuss

Post by JME2 »

I'm glad that Korra will be interacting with Avatars other than Aang; it'll be interesting to see how Roku and Kyoshi deal with her.

And it looks like Wan Shi Tong is back too. Perhaps a certain Face Stealer might put in an appearance, hmm? :twisted:
RecklessPrudence
Padawan Learner
Location: Largest Island, Sol III - invasion not recommended, terrain and wildlife extremely hostile.

Post by RecklessPrudence »

YES! Was wondering when Nick'd get around to the next season, after they realised that, holy shit, people, whether male, female, whatever, actually can relate to a female protagonist!

Geez, that 'reason' for initially only picking up LoK for one season was stupid.

As for Korra interacting with Avatars other than Aang, well... I've always liked these three comics. First is with Aang, then Kyoshi, then Roku. Kinda Flanderised versions of 'em, but funny as.

As for interacting with those who knew Aang, well do we have confirmation whether Fire Lord Zuko is alive or dead? I can't remember. Also, would love to see quirky badarse old man swordmaster Sokka, especially after that whole bender/non-bender theme that the first book had (everybody seemed to forget that both benders and non- played integral parts in Fire Lord Ozai's defeat, and I'd love to see Sokka come back from a training retreat and react to what happened while he was gone) - and he even fits into the family theme that this one has, as uncle to Tenzin and great-uncle to his kids - could interact with Tenzin's older brother Bumi, too.
Yes, I know my username is an oxyMORON, thankyou for pointing that out, you're very clever.

MEMBER: Evil Autistic Conspiracy. Working everyday to get as many kids immunized as possible to grow our numbers.

'I don't believe in gunship diplomacy, but a couple of battleships in low orbit over my enemy's capital can't but help negotiations.'
Ahriman238
Sith Marauder

Post by Ahriman238 »

"Kinda Flanderized?"

No word on Zuko, or Sokka. We only know Katara's alive because she's in the first and last episodes (and more time between her and Korra would have been appreciated) but then, it's been eighty years or so, I'd be surprised if more of the Gaang were still around. Especially when they can pay tribute but do their own thing by showing kids and grandkids, like Tenzin and Iroh.
"Any plan which requires the direct intervention of any deity to work can be assumed to be a very poor one."- Newbiespud
JME2
Emperor's Hand

Post by JME2 »

Sokka was confirmed dead in the Korra pilot episode.

His spirit on the other hand is fair game as far as I'm concerned...
RecklessPrudence
Padawan Learner
Location: Largest Island, Sol III - invasion not recommended, terrain and wildlife extremely hostile.

Well yeah, I'd be surprised if too many of them are still around too, but Sokka as crazy old man swordmaster, cross of Omashu!Bumi and Master Piandao? You know you want to see it!

Besides, as an integral member of the Gaang who was a non-bender - who seemed to be kind of forgotten, in what glimpses we got of Korra's time's history of the end of the war - and fits into the family theme of season 2? He fits in probably the most of any of the Aang-era humans.

But really, I just want to see Sokka after he's had another eighty years to become even more eccentric (you're only crazy if you don't succeed!) and awesome. That's my prime motivation here.

EDIT: Damn, really? I didn't remember that. Dammit.
Yes, I know my username is an oxyMORON, thankyou for pointing that out, you're very clever.

MEMBER: Evil Autistic Conspiracy. Working everyday to get as many kids immunized as possible to grow our numbers.

'I don't believe in gunship diplomacy, but a couple of battleships in low orbit over my enemy's capital can't but help negotiations.'
JME2
Emperor's Hand

Post by JME2 »

Yeah, it was confirmed when Katara wished Korra godspeed:
Aang's time has passed. My brother, and many of my friends are gone.
RecklessPrudence
Padawan Learner

Hmm... :looks for a silver lining: I know! This just proves I need to watch it again!

But seriously, thanks for the info. Now I won't be hoping for Sokka the entire time, and if they pop a Spirit!Sokka on me, I'll be pleasantly surprised.

Lord Relvenous
Jedi Council Member

Post by Lord Relvenous »

Very excited! Beautiful presentation to the scenes, and it will be cool to see them develop the Spirit World. As for the comparisons to Aang, I don't think that's too valid. Korra was trained from a young age in the mastery of the elements, and was prepped for her first crisis. Aang was thrown into it without any training. So we're seeing a more advanced Avatar using their abilities, which is one of the reasons I'm excited for this next season. We saw some incredible abilities briefly with the flashbacks to Aang's life, but now we'll actually see how the Avatar learns those abilities, how they develop them, and how they work. So yeah, Korra is more advanced than Aang was in his show, but she's also much older.

Also, I like that we called the name of the season last year.
Coyote: Warm it in the microwave first to avoid that 'necrophelia' effect.
Lord Revan
Emperor's Hand

Post by Lord Revan »

it'll be intresting to see if Korra has any control over the avatar state at the start of the season (after all Aang major problem with the avatar state wasn't getting into it so much as doing it on will and controlling himself once active).
I may be an idiot, but I'm a tolerated idiot
"I think you completely missed the point of sigs. They're supposed to be completely homegrown in the fertile hydroponics lab of your mind, dried in your closet, rolled, and smoked...
Oh wait, that's marijuana..."Einhander Sn0m4n
Ahriman238
Sith Marauder

Post by Ahriman238 »

Korra may be older, and even better trained but Aang came from a much more spiritual background from the monks. No one, for instance, had to tell him how to meditate. And Aang only got a handle on the Avatar State after intense meditation and spiritual growth.

Is anyone else curious why in the shot with multiple avatars Korra is glowing purple while the spirits are still avatar blue?
JME2
Emperor's Hand

Post by JME2 »

Yeah, Korra's development is going to be equally interesting because with Aang, the whole point of his series was to attain that state -- and he didn't until the finale.

With Korra's, she's done it on the first season and now we get to see a phase of the Avatar's training that was never possibly on the first show.
Lord Insanity
Padawan Learner

Post by Lord Insanity »

There was a quick shot of Korra going atomic elemental mode. (You know spinning the elements around here like the simple atomic model diagram.)

I am really looking forward to seeing some of the more advanced Avatar stuff that they really only hinted at in TLAB. Some of the flashbacks with adult Aang in LOK do plenty to tease the audience. The puple spirit glow in the teaser certainly makes me curiouser. With Young Justice cancelled this is pretty much the only cartoon worth watching right now.
-Lord Insanity

"A little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men" -The Real Willy Wonka
Ford Prefect
Emperor's Hand

Post by Ford Prefect »

Lord Insanity wrote:There was a quick shot of Korra going atomic elemental mode. (You know spinning the elements around here like the simple atomic model diagram.)
I'm pretty sure you're referring to a snippet of a scene from Wan's time.
What is Project Zohar?

Here's to a certain mostly harmless nutcase.
Ahriman238
Sith Marauder

Post by Ahriman238 »

Lord Revan wrote:it'll be intresting to see if Korra has any control over the avatar state at the start of the season (after all Aang major problem with the avatar state wasn't getting into it so much as doing it on will and controlling himself once active).
With Aang, the Avatar state activated as a defense mechanism when he was in danger, until he could sit down, deal with his emotional issues and take control of it. Korra was in a bunch of situations where the Avatar state would have triggered for Aang, but didn't for her. Aang also frequently had visions of Roku, or channeled him and the other Avatars, while Korra had a couple fragments that only resolved into a warning when she took a minute.

Again, I attribute this mostly to Korra being a practical, somewhat bull-headed and not very spiritual person.
JME2
Emperor's Hand

Post by JME2 »

Ahriman238 wrote:Again, I attribute this mostly to Korra being a practical, somewhat bull-headed and not very spiritual person.
And that's something that I hope develops further as the series progresses.

I don't want Korra to be Aang 2.0 in terms of spirituality -- but I'd like to see it develop regardless.

It's similar to how Aang had changed and developed by the end of the first series.
Formless
Sith Marauder

Post by Formless »

Ford Prefect wrote:
Lord Insanity wrote:There was a quick shot of Korra going atomic elemental mode. (You know spinning the elements around here like the simple atomic model diagram.)
While I think you are right, I think you can also see a brief scene with Korra and Wan in the same shot (skip to around 1:42 where they are both outlined against the mouth of that big ass sea monster/possible water spirit). While there will definitely be two episodes this season that will take place in Wan's time (what if any frame story they provide will be interesting to see), it looks to me like Korra interacting with Wan in the spirit world is going to be an important element of this season's plot.

Here's hoping they take the opportunity to explain the origins of Amon's powers from last season and ultimately do something with his character arc posthumously; much like they did with Zhao in Wan Shi Tong's library.
"Still, I would love to see human beings, and their constituent organ systems, trivialized and commercialized to the same extent as damn iPods and other crappy consumer products. It would be absolutely horrific, yet so wonderful." — Shroom Man 777
"To Err is Human; to Arrr is Pirate." — Skallagrim
“I would suggest "Schmuckulating", which is what Futurists do and, by extension, what they are." — Commenter "Rayneau"
The Magic Eight Ball Conspiracy.
Koolaidkirby
Padawan Learner

Post by Koolaidkirby »

Formless wrote: While I think you are right, I think you can also see a brief scene with Korra and Wan in the same shot (skip to around 1:42 where they are both outlined against the mouth of that big ass sea monster/possible water spirit). While there will definitely be two episodes this season that will take place in Wan's time (what if any frame story they provide will be interesting to see), it looks to me like Korra interacting with Wan in the spirit world is going to be an important element of this season's plot..
the one on the left looks more like Jinora (sp?) to me, she's wearing an airbending cloak and is a lot smaller than korra
Evil will always triumph over good, because good, is dumb
Formless
Sith Marauder

Post by Formless »

Take a closer look at Wan's attire. His "normal" outfit is a set of brownish robes, plus he has alternative clothing... including an airbender's cloak. He is the first Avatar, after all, and we've seen both Korra and Roku wearing air nomad garb during their own training. Further, he looks relatively scrawny to me based on all the artwork I've seen of him so far; certainly lighter built than Korra, though still taller and bigger than Jinora. And lastly, the two of them are under water. Wan is a water bender, Jinora isn't. I don't think she even knows how to swim. :wink:

But besides all those reasons to think he's the one in the shot, he would have to be a spirit in order to interact with Korra, and there is no reason I can see why they couldn't have it be Wan manifesting through Jinora. :P Korra is notoriously bad with the spiritual aspect of her existence, so I could see them doing something a little different to allow her to connect with him more deeply; and this is the season for exploring all things spirit related, so if ever there was a time for showing off new previously unknown or unseen abilities of either the spirits or of the avatar spirit specifically this would be the season. :mrgreen:
"Still, I would love to see human beings, and their constituent organ systems, trivialized and commercialized to the same extent as damn iPods and other crappy consumer products. It would be absolutely horrific, yet so wonderful." — Shroom Man 777
“I would suggest "Schmuckulating", which is what Futurists do and, by extension, what they are." — Commenter "Rayneau"
Mr Bean
Lord of Irony

Post by Mr Bean »

I still hold out hope that Anom's ability had nothing to do with blood bending and everything to do with energy bending. I still hold out hope we will get to see protobenders who could bend the energy within themselves.

"A cult is a religion with no political power." -Tom Wolfe
Pardon me for sounding like a dick, but I'm playing the tiniest violin in the world right now-Dalton
Lord Insanity
Padawan Learner

Post by Lord Insanity »

I just thought of something with regards to Korra's purple spirit glow in the trailer. When Aang was training with the Guru to unlock his Chakras and the Avatar state, the giant astral plane Aang was glowing purple. Might be a connection or it could just be an art style decision/retcon.
Ford Prefect wrote:
What? I am only going by the cartoons here and it wasn't mentioned in the trailer, so how do we know Wan is the guy's name let alone who he is? (referring to Formless' most recent post)
-Lord Insanity

"A little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men" -The Real Willy Wonka
Formless
Sith Marauder

Post by Formless »

Because the creators of the show talked about Avatar Wan in press releases? Here, for instance. Apparently they don't consider it any more spoilerific than any of Korra'a family they've revealed, and they've even mentioned that there will be a two part episode detailing the Avatar's origin story. Whatever Wan's significance to the rest of the season's plot is speculative, however. But these are known facts, Lord Insanity.
Lord Insanity
Padawan Learner

Post by Lord Insanity »

I never saw the press release only the trailer. :oops: Thanks for the info.
-Lord Insanity

Lord Revan
Emperor's Hand

Post by Lord Revan »

BTW what do we know about Wan besides the fact that he was the first Avatar, male and lived about 10.000 years before Korra?
I may be an idiot, but I'm a tolerated idiot
"I think you completely missed the point of sigs. They're supposed to be completely homegrown in the fertile hydroponics lab of your mind, dried in your closet, rolled, and smoked...
Oh wait, that's marijuana..."Einhander Sn0m4n
Formless
Sith Marauder

Post by Formless »

Not much, obviously, but they've said that before he became the Avatar he was a professional explorer. If I remember correctly they said his big accomplishment (which will be detailed by the two part episodes) was bringing balance between the spirit world and the mortal plane; considering the season theme that would make a lot of sense. Oh, and his animal companion is a cat-deer hybrid (you can see it briefly in the trailer).

Its worth noting that there is significant symbolism over the number 10,000, for those who didn't already know. The word "wan" is Chinese for both that number and also "infinity" or "uncountable". This is the same double entendre at work in Wan Shi Tong's name and the reason he calls himself omnipotent. So its possible that when they say that Wan lived 10,000 years before Korra, its one of those "before the beginning of time" kind of things that the Lion Turtle invoked, while his name itself is an allusion to his near unlimited power as the Avatar.