Deja Vu - Leadership ballot on 7PM AEST 26/6 for ALP (Aust)

N&P: Discuss governments, nations, politics and recent related news here.

Moderators: Alyrium Denryle, Edi, K. A. Pital

Dendrobius
Mecha Fanboy

Deja Vu - Leadership ballot on 7PM AEST 26/6 for ALP (Aust)

Post by Dendrobius »

http://www.smh.com.au/opinion/political ... 2owzy.html

So, on almost the 3 year anniversary of the former Prime Minister of Australia Kevin Rudd getting chucked out by his party in favour of Julia Gilliard, history is now set to deja vu as a leadership ballot is on...with the challenger as Kevin.

Where's my popcorn damnit.
I know there is a method, but all I see is the madness.
mr friendly guy
The Doctor
Location: In a 1960s police telephone box somewhere in Australia

Re: Deja Vu - Leadership ballot on 7PM AEST 26/6 for ALP (Au

Post by mr friendly guy »

I find the Game of Thrones reference to the ALP leadership spill entertaining (since Gillard is a fan). Gillard is portrayed as Daenerys while Rudd is Robert Baratheon.

And when I get my popcorn it will be for watching Man of Steel, not this joke of a party. But I will be amused if Rudd kicks out the Khalesi er I mean Gillard.

On another note, whoever wins, my vote is likely to go to a third party. I detest Abbott. Gillard at least managed to get the carbon tax up, taxing people to help flood victims, shitty watered down mining tax etc. These didn't bother me, but now the Government wants to cap self education expenses at $2000 because apparently doctors like to fly first class and stay luxurious hotels at conferences, even $2000 won't even cover the fee for the conference, yet alone plane trip and accommodation. To top if off, the opposition doesn't give a rat's arse about this issue either. So screw them both. Maybe the Pirate Party or some other minor party can get my protest vote.
Never apologise for being a geek, because they won't apologise to you for being an arsehole. John Barrowman - 22 June 2014 Perth Supernova.

Countries I have been to - 14.
Australia, Canada, China, Colombia, Denmark, Ecuador, Finland, Germany, Malaysia, Netherlands, Norway, Singapore, Sweden, USA.
Always on the lookout for more nice places to visit.
Straha
Lord of the Spam

Post by Straha »

Rudd won it.
'After 9/11, it was "You're with us or your with the terrorists." Now its "You're with Straha or you support racism."' ' - The Romulan Republic

'You're a bully putting on an air of civility while saying that everything western and/or capitalistic must be bad, and a lot of other posters (loomer, Stas Bush, Gandalf) are also going along with it for their own personal reasons (Stas in particular is looking through rose colored glasses)' - Darth Yan
mr friendly guy
The Doctor

The war of the Usurper has ended. Rudd threw out the Targaryen heir. Of particularly interest it appears Wayne Swan has stepped down as Treasurer. He was one of Rudd's supporters but then turned against him, and also introduce that stupid bill to cap tax deductions for self education expenses at a mere $2000. Ha ha ha. Too bad I bet you both major parties will still keep it.
Never apologise for being a geek, because they won't apologise to you for being an arsehole. John Barrowman - 22 June 2014 Perth Supernova.

Australia, Canada, China, Colombia, Denmark, Ecuador, Finland, Germany, Malaysia, Netherlands, Norway, Singapore, Sweden, USA.
thejester
Jedi Council Member

Post by thejester »

JULIAGGEDON AVERTED

What a dismal day in Australia. Watching Gillard's acceptance speech you could see why she never broke through with voters - the nasal voice, the terrible turn of phrase, the clunky repetition - but also why she is a fundamentally better person than Rudd or Abbott. Her hand may have been forced by the circumstances of her government but she could at least point to a list of accomplishments; something Rudd never had the political courage to really do. She was also (somewhat ironically in light of the constant sexist/misogynist campaign against her) clearly much, much tougher than both the alternatives.

Now we have the return of Rudd and lo and behold, the first major policy shift his backers of signalled is doubling down on 'asylum seekers are actually economic migrants and WE MUST STOP THE BOATS'. Fuck my life.
I love the smell of September in the morning. Once we got off at Richmond, walked up to the 'G, and there was no game on. Not one footballer in sight. But that cut grass smell, spring rain...it smelt like victory.

Dynamic. When [Kuznetsov] decided he was going to make a difference, he did it...Like Ovechkin...then you find out - he's with Washington too? You're kidding.
- Ron Wilson
atg
Jedi Master

Post by atg »

thejester wrote:Now we have the return of Rudd and lo and behold, the first major policy shift his backers of signalled is doubling down on 'asylum seekers are actually economic migrants and WE MUST STOP THE BOATS'. Fuck my life.
Well considering how they are polling they need to do something (anything) to win votes back from Abbott.
Marcus Aurelius: ...the Swedish S-tank; the exception is made mostly because the Swedes insisted really hard that it is a tank rather than a tank destroyer or assault gun
Ilya Muromets: And now I have this image of a massive, stern-looking Swede staring down a bunch of military nerds. "It's a tank." "Uh, yes Sir. Please don't hurt us."
Alkaloid
Jedi Master

Post by Alkaloid »

JULIAGGEDON AVERTED

What a dismal day in Australia. Watching Gillard's acceptance speech you could see why she never broke through with voters - the nasal voice, the terrible turn of phrase, the clunky repetition - but also why she is a fundamentally better person than Rudd or Abbott. Her hand may have been forced by the circumstances of her government but she could at least point to a list of accomplishments; something Rudd never had the political courage to really do. She was also (somewhat ironically in light of the constant sexist/misogynist campaign against her) clearly much, much tougher than both the alternatives.

Now we have the return of Rudd and lo and behold, the first major policy shift his backers of signalled is doubling down on 'asylum seekers are actually economic migrants and WE MUST STOP THE BOATS'. Fuck my life.
This. Whether you like Gillard or not, and I don't given I think some actual leadership on her part could have prevented Labor being the fucking shambles it is now, at least she had something that resembled a spine.
Well considering how they are polling they need to do something (anything) to win votes back from Abbott.
Being Liberal lite will not achieve that.
mr friendly guy
The Doctor

This event is the gift that keeps on giving in terms of irony and comedic value.

linky
Attacking Government legislation that will deliver pay rises to only some childcare workers, the Opposition spokeswoman for women, Michaelia Cash, said the Rudd Government had tricked staff into believing a pay rise was coming.
"The current Rudd Government, who we all know Senator Wong voted for," she said.
"The sisterhood stabbing one of their own in the back.
That's quite a statement considering the way the Coalition defended misogyny among their own ranks when its attacking Gillard with female orientated epithets.