Dream EU casting

PSW: discuss Star Wars without "versus" arguments.

Moderator: Vympel

Batman
Emperor's Hand
Location: Seriously thinking about moving to Marvel because so much of the DCEU stinks

Re: Dream EU casting

Post by Batman »

Most famous person in India does not equal most famous person in the world. 1.2 billion is a lot, but it still represents less than a fifth of the world's population. Somehow I think there's a whole lot more people who know Sean Connery or Will Smith.
'Next time I let Superman take charge, just hit me. Real hard.'
'You're a princess from a society of immortal warriors. I'm a rich kid with issues. Lots of issues.'
'No. No dating for the Batman. It might cut into your brooding time.'
'Tactically we have multiple objectives. So we need to split into teams.'-'Dibs on the Amazon!'
'Hey, we both have a Martian's phone number on our speed dial. I think I deserve the benefit of the doubt.'
'You know, for a guy with like 50 different kinds of vision, you sure are blind.'
Havok
Miscreant

Post by Havok »

Wow... OK, so ONLY the people in India know who this guy is? Is that your contention? Seriously, after what I just posted?
It's 106 miles to Chicago, we got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark... and we're wearing sunglasses.
Hit it.
Blank Yellow (NSFW)
"Mostly Harmless Nutcase"
Stark
Emperor's Hand

Post by Stark »

Wait, I thought you were just demanding people prove an off-the-cuff statement with HARD FACTS? Now you just turn around and say 'I bet something something bullshit'? Are you also equating 'famous' with 'people know name/work/etc' and not 'is considered excellent at'?
Batman
Emperor's Hand
Location: Seriously thinking about moving to Marvel because so much of the DCEU stinks

Post by Batman »

I was rather working with the 'is known by most people' definition of famous, yes, what with that being the one most of humanity seems to use?
'You're a princess from a society of immortal warriors. I'm a rich kid with issues. Lots of issues.'
'Tactically we have multiple objectives. So we need to split into teams.'-'Dibs on the Amazon!'
'Hey, we both have a Martian's phone number on our speed dial. I think I deserve the benefit of the doubt.'
'You know, for a guy with like 50 different kinds of vision, you sure are blind.'
Stark
Emperor's Hand

Post by Stark »

Can I play the Batman card and senselessly nag that you PROVE this with SCIENCE?

Frankly I want to know if you're just ignorantly Eurocentric or actually racist. Have you silently conceeded so you can continue to nitpick like the non-contributor you are?
Batman
Emperor's Hand

Post by Batman »

I fail to see how you or Havok are contributing any more than I am given this was a nitpick from the word go. I also fail to see how asking someone to back up his statement that an actor is the world's most popular is somehow eurocentric.
Flagg
CUNTS FOR EYES!
Location: Hell. In The Room Right Next to Reagan. He's Fucking Bonzo. No, wait... Bonzo's fucking HIM.

Post by Flagg »

Batman wrote:I fail to see how you or Havok are contributing any more than I am given this was a nitpick from the word go. I also fail to see how asking someone to back up his statement that an actor is the world's most popular is somehow eurocentric.
It's not that you asked for verification, it's the way you did it you delusional fuckwit. "Well I've never heard of him so he must not be that popular".
We pissing our pants yet?
-Negan

You got your shittin' pants on? Because you’re about to
Shit. Your. Pants!
-Negan

He who can,
does; he who cannot, teaches.
-George Bernard Shaw
Stark
Emperor's Hand

Post by Stark »

Did he seriously just say he doesn't see how stamping his foot like a fucking baby is contributing less than a guy who quoted Wikipedia to directly answer his demand? How is it 'contributing' to flat out ignore it and not engage in actual discussion beyond WELL I'VE NEVER HEARD OF HIM DON'T MAKE ME FEEL LIKE IM IN THE MINORITY WAH WAH WAH?

Ethnocentrism is ugly shit.
Batman
Emperor's Hand

Post by Batman »

Flagg wrote:
Batman wrote:I fail to see how you or Havok are contributing any more than I am given this was a nitpick from the word go. I also fail to see how asking someone to back up his statement that an actor is the world's most popular is somehow eurocentric.
It's not that you asked for verification, it's the way you did it you delusional fuckwit. "Well I've never heard of him so he must not be that popular".
Except I never said that. I said if the guy is the world's most popular actor how come I never heard of him. I have, repeatedly, acknowledged that the guy may be massively popular, and that there's a large audience outside the western world. I don't think I have at any point denied that that audience may very well be bigger than the western world (and whomever else we may have afflicted our entertainment onto). All I asked for was evidence for that actually being the case.
Flagg
CUNTS FOR EYES!
Location: Hell. In The Room Right Next to Reagan. He's Fucking Bonzo. No, wait... Bonzo's fucking HIM.

Post by Flagg »

Batman wrote:
Flagg wrote:
Except I never said that. I said if the guy is the world's most popular actor how come I never heard of him. I have, repeatedly, acknowledged that the guy may be massively popular, and that there's a large audience outside the western world. I don't think I have at any point denied that that audience may very well be bigger than the western world (and whomever else we may have afflicted our entertainment onto). All I asked for was evidence for that actually being the case.
Liar:
Batman wrote:Most famous person in India does not equal most famous person in the world. 1.2 billion is a lot, but it still represents less than a fifth of the world's population. Somehow I think there's a whole lot more people who know Sean Connery or Will Smith.
-Negan

Shit. Your. Pants!
-Negan

He who can,
-George Bernard Shaw
Batman
Emperor's Hand

Post by Batman »

Oh really. 'If he is the most famous actor in the world how come I never heard of the guy?' in response to 'world's most famous actor'.
Flagg
CUNTS FOR EYES!

Post by Flagg »

Batman wrote:Oh really. 'If he is the most famous actor in the world how come I never heard of the guy?' in response to 'world's most famous actor'.
You're sitting in feces right now, aren't you?
-Negan

Shit. Your. Pants!
-Negan

He who can,
-George Bernard Shaw
Batman
Emperor's Hand

Post by Batman »

You're welcome to explain how 'if this is the world's most famous actor how come I never heard of him' translates into 'since I never heard of him the guy can't be famous period'.
Flagg
CUNTS FOR EYES!

Post by Flagg »

Batman wrote:You're welcome to explain how 'if this is the world's most famous actor how come I never heard of him' translates into 'since I never heard of him the guy can't be famous period'.
Dude, you fucking said the following, quoted for the second time:
Batman wrote:Most famous person in India does not equal most famous person in the world. 1.2 billion is a lot, but it still represents less than a fifth of the world's population. Somehow I think there's a whole lot more people who know Sean Connery or Will Smith.
Peace has cost you your strength! Victory has defeated you!
-Negan

Shit. Your. Pants!
-Negan

He who can,
-George Bernard Shaw
Stark
Emperor's Hand

Post by Stark »

Whats funny is that having my browser open to his wiki page has co-workers from non-english backgrounds come over and say 'oh, do you know this guy? He is very famous!'.

Maybe Batman is not the best metric for fame. :)
thejester
Jedi Council Member

Post by thejester »

I think we should cast Sachin Tendulkar as Thrawn. He's p. famous. Maybe have Murali cameo as Talon Karrde.
I love the smell of September in the morning. Once we got off at Richmond, walked up to the 'G, and there was no game on. Not one footballer in sight. But that cut grass smell, spring rain...it smelt like victory.

Dynamic. When [Kuznetsov] decided he was going to make a difference, he did it...Like Ovechkin...then you find out - he's with Washington too? You're kidding.
- Ron Wilson
ray245
Emperor's Hand

Post by ray245 »

Havok wrote:I think he is.

DUDE. ONE POINT TWO BILLION PEOPLE. He has fuckloads of market penetration.
I think Batman would have a better ground to stand on if he actually argues having huge amount of fans in India does not necessarily translate to huge amount of box office revenue by Hollywood's standard.

People like Brad Pitt might not be as much fans as Bachchan, but he can earn more money for Hollywood studios because people in the western world can pay more for a movie ticket. Looking at how Hollywood is prioritising market expansion into China rather than India, I will not be surprise if Hollywood will continue to ignore Bollywood actors and actress.
Most famous person in India does not equal most famous person in the world. 1.2 billion is a lot, but it still represents less than a fifth of the world's population. Somehow I think there's a whole lot more people who know Sean Connery or Will Smith.
It is so easy to use this argument back at you. You do know that Hollywood have yet to penetrate into China and India's movie market? There are still a huge amount of people in China and India that only watch locally produced movies.
Humans are such funny creatures. We are selfish about selflessness, yet we can love something so much that we can hate something.
Ralin
Sith Marauder

Post by Ralin »

ray245 wrote:It is so easy to use this argument back at you. You do know that Hollywood have yet to penetrate into China and India's movie market? There are still a huge amount of people in China and India that only watch locally produced movies.
Really? I admit I've never spent much time in the rural areas, but I've yet to visit a mainland Chinese city where I couldn't buy DVDs of most every recent blockbuster American movie from vendors on the street for two or three USD max.
ray245
Emperor's Hand

Post by ray245 »

Ralin wrote:
ray245 wrote:It is so easy to use this argument back at you. You do know that Hollywood have yet to penetrate into China and India's movie market? There are still a huge amount of people in China and India that only watch locally produced movies.
Really? I admit I've never spent much time in the rural areas, but I've yet to visit a mainland Chinese city where I couldn't buy DVDs of most every recent blockbuster American movie from vendors on the street for two or three USD max.
You can, but I do not think Hollywood is making much money off those DVDs given how common piracy is in China. The only main way Hollywood can make money in China is mostly through people who watches a film in theaters.

As China restrict the amount of foreign films shown in China, Hollywood film stars might not be as well known in China as their local celebrities.
Humans are such funny creatures. We are selfish about selflessness, yet we can love something so much that we can hate something.
Ralin
Sith Marauder

Post by Ralin »

ray245 wrote:You can, but I do not think Hollywood is making much money off those DVDs given how common piracy is in China. The only main way Hollywood can make money in China is mostly through people who watches a film in theaters.

As China restrict the amount of foreign films shown in China, Hollywood film stars might not be as well known in China as their local celebrities.
Well yes, but I thought you were talking about Hollywood penetration with regards to fame and how well known their films and actors are to Chinese people in that part of your post?
ray245
Emperor's Hand

Post by ray245 »

Ralin wrote: Well yes, but I thought you were talking about Hollywood penetration with regards to fame and how well known their films and actors are to Chinese people in that part of your post?
Isn't the amount of people who buy a DVD of a movie usually a lot smaller than the people who catch the movie in cinema? I'm not sure about the movie-going culture in China, but isn't this usually the case?
zman
Redshirt

Post by zman »

rofl god I love these boards. I make a little comment about it and the arguement goes on for a page about him.

But yes he is the most famous actor because of India's population and because during the cold War the Soviet Union and China refused to show american films to their masses so they would buy Bollywood films and show them.

That is how he became the worlds most famous actor.

Then of course you have millions of people who just enjoy Bollywood films, like me.

But yeah he would be perfect for Talon Karde and I can't wait to see him in The Great Gatsby.
Ralin
Sith Marauder

Post by Ralin »

ray245 wrote:Isn't the amount of people who buy a DVD of a movie usually a lot smaller than the people who catch the movie in cinema? I'm not sure about the movie-going culture in China, but isn't this usually the case?
In most places, sure, but in most places a movie ticket doesn't cost several times as much as the DVD. I mean, I don't actually know but the last time I looked at the prices in a Chinese movie theater the tickets were something like 80 to 125 RMB or more (I think "The Dark Knight Rises" was something crazy like 200 or 240), with a DVD of the same movie costing ten kuai or less. I imagine that would make the numbers swing in the opposite direction and I suspect the same would be true in India. And that's leaving out things like Youku and torrenting.
Teankun1
Redshirt

Post by Teankun1 »

I can see Michael Fassbender as Thrawn as he can play the cold, intellect well. I am totally for foreign actors. Star Wars has a reputation to boosting careers.
On a similar note, with the talk of a Han Solo prequel, who should play a younger Han Solo? Sean Patrick Flanery may be a possibility since he played a young Harrison Ford in “Young Indiana Jones Chronicles” but he may also already be too old.
Batman
Emperor's Hand

Post by Batman »

I don't know about the rest of the world, but around here, a lot of the time the DVD is cheaper than the movie ticket (even ignoring special offers like '6 movies for 20 Euros' from online stores like amazon).
Also, what is 'Isn't the amount of people who buy a DVD of a movie usually a lot smaller than the people who catch the movie in cinema' based on? Now I know one person, especially when it's me, is a terrible sample base, but I know I've bought a lot more movies on DVDs than I've seen in theater.